Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    To me, iPhone wins, here is why,

iPhone

Positives
    -independent OS. You know updates will work with your device and not dependent on two separate companies software. (what I like about Palm and RIM)
    - Screen resolution
    - Build quality, it is a sharp looking devices

Negitives
    - AT&T. My Data play would be $45 dollars a month. 4GB usage average.
    - Apple *******

EVO

Positives

- 8MP camera
    - Not Apple
    - On Sprint. I will gladly pay $10 dollars extra a month compaired to $45.

Negitives
    - Android OS. enough said
    - Screen resolution is not good on that big screen.
    - Looks cheap in person. Plastic and not well put together. I thought I would like it, but as soon as I had it in my hand it felt like junk.

Every thing else, I think the phone equal out.

I gave the camera to EVO, because does anyone realy alter photos on their phone. I am a photographer and do all my work on my PC or iMac.
    If Android OS is a negative, then there is no comparison and you wasted a lot of keystrokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If Android OS is a negative, then there is no comparison and you wasted a lot of keystrokes.
    Your probably right, because compaired to WebOS or iPhone OS4, Android is not very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Wow, you are already putting down the device without ever holding it. I heard the resolution argument before when almost every device was 320x240. Why do we need more resolution on a small screen? Because it looks better, is easier on the eyes, allows for nicer pictures and movies.
    I have watched movies on my iPod touch... you eventually reach a point where screen resolution doesn't matter when you are looking at a small screen. Even Jobs mentioned that. The pixel density is higher than the human eye can discern.

Oh, and I am not mocking the resolution. It's awesome that the technology has progressed that far. I am just saying that winning in screen resolution doesn't mean you have a better phone. Now if you have a 720p 5,000- 1 contrast ratio, 42 inch LCD TV compared to a 1080p, 1,000,000 - 1, 42 inch Plasma TV, you might have a point. Pixel density's importance is proportional to screen size.

The iPhone's smaller screen doesn't make pixel density a game changer is all I am saying.

Will restate that I would have an iPhone for business if it were on Sprint. (My company doesn't support WebOs yet.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    lol so palm news is sooooo slow that we have to compare iphone 4 and evo, lmao ok well heres what im thinking of this, iphone 4 is gonna blow everyone out of the water (theyre kinda famous for it), but wait a minute, the water is already looking pretty empty, oh wait thats right last week everyone jumped ship over to the evo, hmmmmmm and ever since this page has gone down in value, i know and im sorry but someone had to say it... they are two completely different phones so i find it hard to compare the two, although i did see steve jobs talking about how "innovative" this new iphone is, unfortunatly almost everything that he listed off as a new feature looked as if it was just stolen from other smartphones and jammed into one device, i got an ipod i dont need an iphone, what? video conferencing you say, well my evo handles that juuuusssssttt fine as well as fluent easy to use multi tasking which true may not be the same as webos but its everything i need in that respect, the evo is a superior phone running an inferior OS, however android has surprised me coming from webos, it runs very fluently with no hiccups that i have found yet, as for people saying the evo looks and feels cheap in person? maybe and just maybe you say a plastic shell of one and thought that was it, but i can tell you that this thing is durable! Not to mention that i went through 8 pre's in the course of one year due to crap hardware so i REALLY think this is the wrong place for dogging on competitors hardware, and as for the size to be completely honest i really do feel that the evo feels better in pocket than the pre, and theres not even a possibility of the oreo effect on it . . . i still love webos but they need a better hardware build, hopefully HP can turn that around but as of right now, the biggest and best smartphones of the year have been introduced and will both be out by the end of the month, palm still has made absolutely NO comments on anything new, that scares me... oh and one last thing, yes the evo not having a keyboard does suck, big time, however i have to admit the voice to text feature works absoultely perfectly. . . I wanna clarify that i do love webos and do not feel as if i need a scolding over this post, i just had to come out and say that the evo is by far amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I have watched movies on my iPod touch... you eventually reach a point where screen resolution doesn't matter when you are looking at a small screen. Even Jobs mentioned that. The pixel density is higher than the human eye can discern.

Oh, and I am not mocking the resolution. It's awesome that the technology has progressed that far. I am just saying that winning in screen resolution doesn't mean you have a better phone. Now if you have a 720p 5,000- 1 contrast ratio, 42 inch LCD TV compared to a 1080p, 1,000,000 - 1, 42 inch Plasma TV, you might have a point. Pixel density's importance is proportional to screen size.

The iPhone's smaller screen doesn't make pixel density a game changer is all I am saying.

Will restate that I would have an iPhone for business if it were on Sprint. (My company doesn't support WebOs yet.
    Have you read any of the hands on reports? Almost everybody that has held one says its a huge difference. iBooks, games, videos, movies, websites will all look better.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Have you read any of the hands on reports? Almost everybody that has held one says its a huge difference. iBooks, games, videos, movies, websites will all look better.
    I watched the entire keynote, so yes, I have seen the side by side comparisons. I am not knocking the resolution. It does look nice, but in my opinion, it is not a game changer for the iPhone. To me, the biggest leap is iOS 4, not the hardware.

Screen resolution might have mattered if we are talking changing the screen from black and white to color. Since we are not, it is a novelty at best.

Now if they put the new tech on the iPad.... you have something there.

I really wish Apple had increased the screen size too. They could have down it without increasing the size of the overall phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    The way I see it, the iPhone came out with some novelty updates.

Screen resolution on a sub 4 inch screen means very little. I guarantee no one looked at the 3GS and thought... "Gosh, this screen sucks." It may well be that this is where we are going, but it is not that important. People are treating this like the iPhone finally got the ability to MMS.

Now, before Urkel rides to the iPhones rescue , I will say that the iPhone sells the most for a reason. It is the most solid, most user friendly phone out there. If it had been moved to Sprint, I would have probably chosen it over the EVO as my work phone. (Still have the Pre for my personal phone for all of the Pre Defense Force )
    The fact that I was riding my hig horse while drinking kool aid is completely coincidental.
    Actually, I said the same thing you did about screens and evolutionary improvements. While we all would appreciate a higher res screen, it wasn't a "missing" feature like multitasking was. And no matter how high a pixel count goes, a 3.5" screen isn't ideal for consuming a whole book or movie.

But still, I get it. I use Apple products and I don't have faith in a company that was sold due to an inability to compete in a tough market and my only sign of loyalty to the Pre is buying two, using it daily for a year and signing a 2yr contract. So I guess I'm labeled as an Apple defender that happens to use a Pre.

Now if they put the new tech on the iPad.... you have something there.
    That's what I'm saying. My 2month old 10" ipad (where I actually read books) has almost the same screen res as the iPhone4. Apple knows how to sell products, but they're masters at giving people a reason to upgrade.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/08/2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I really wish Apple had increased the screen size too. They could have down it without increasing the size of the overall phone.
    Why not? Maybe I just don't wear pants as tight as everone else but I suspect all these EVO size complaints is sour grapes. People complain about thickness so much but the Pre (thicker shorter) and iPhone (thinner/longer) both fee the same in my pocket and I guess the EVO wouldn't be any different.

For these phones then I really wish they'd stop obsessing with "thin". If making it slightly thicker gives me another 4hrs then I'll take it because in the end it will never be thicker than my wallet so what's the big deal?

(BTW. It's 230P and my 2wk old replacement pre is down to 30% already.)
    Man applefanbois are in full force here...i will say one feature that EVO dont got....

- Ability to drop calls. <--- Dont need app its free comes with the phone

Steve Jobs is like a Used Car Sales man he can sell you steaming pile of crap with apple logo on it.
    Last edited by darkzone; 06/08/2010 at 04:40 PM.
    I was laughing pretty hard when Jobs tried to jump onto ATT's network to save is presentation. Guy in the audience yelled "Try Verizon".

I was laughing pretty hard when Jobs tried to jump onto ATT's network to save is presentation. Guy in the audience yelled "Try Verizon".
    Yup...that was funny and i read somebody yelled VERIZON from the audience
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Yup...that was funny and i read somebody yelled VERIZON from the audience
    See below...

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    IMO

iPhone Positives:
    Apple continues to improve the iPhone
    Negatives:
    only ATT, one hardware

HTC EVO Positives:
    Expands phone lineup,
    SCREEN SIZE IS A MATTER OF PREFERENCE, the biggest thing is that HTC works well at making something that someone wants
    improved H/W

Negatives:
    Only works for Sprint, when will we ever see multiband phones that work on cdma and gsm?...stateside
    Incredible should be in this vs. It solves the issue with people who on't like the size of the Evo and is only lacking a front camera and HD recording.

Stilll a solid phone and you know HTC will come out with more.

And man, this forum hates on android a lot.
    I just don't understand "the Evo won't fit in my pocket" argoment. I just slid my open Pre into my pocket, plenty of room to spare and I'm just wearing some slacks. You guys must all wear skinny jeans. Damn, maybe the Pre is for girls afterall.
    I think movies and video work much much better on a tablet. Phone screens are too small, and if they are larger, then they are difficult to carry around, and cumbersome. I'm like Urkel... I have my Pre for my phone and love using it for many things, and use the ipad for browsing, reading books, games and movies due to it's much larger 10" screen. Works great. Phones just don't have large enough screens to make movie viewing enjoyable.
    I intentionally stayed away from this thread until I had the chance to play with the EVO. WOW. The only negative I have for the EVO is size. As technology advances our devices should shrink in size, not become larger. That being said, after playing with the EVO for 30 minutes, I just might make the switch in October.
    With the EVO I could get rid of my iPod for my long motorcycle rides and enjoy my music collection or FM radio, or SAT radio via the EVO. Tempting, very tempting indeed.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    To me, the biggest leap is iOS 4, not the hardware.
    That's funny because I feel just the opposite. Up until iPhone 4, my take on the iPhone has always been that the hardware is good, but the software is amazing. (let's face it, the software is really what sold it, not the hardware) Now, however, I feel (based only on paper of course since I haven't actually held one) that the hardware may have reached a par with the software.

If I end up replacing my Pre with a non-Palm smartphone (gasp, can't believe I just said that!) I may take a serious look at the new iPhone.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quick question, for those of you who own or have played with an Evo, did you notice any sluggishness when scrolling in the app launcher? I checked one out yesterday at a Sprint store and was quite surprised to see the choppiness. Could have been that the thing was in need of a reboot, but still - a little disconcerting.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast