Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    They had "iPhone" too or at least they thought they did. It's Apple's little way at taking down Cisco, one product name at a time.
    This is completely wrong. Apple and Cisco settled the lawsuit out of court. While the details are unknown, it's most likely that Apple paid a large sum of money to Cisco for the use of their trademark. I wouldn't expect any differently in this instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    But these are not going to bring those developers to make apps for new WebOS. Apps >>>> OS or device.
    The only thing stopping more development for webOS is market share. And the only thing stopping webOS devices having more market share has been Palm's lack of financial resources. That disappears with HP's backing.

Palm has always had a great development environment (and a steadily improving, albeit flawed, SDK), and a much more open environment. Developers are chomping at the bit for alternatives to Apple given how Apple cuts them off at the knees. That's why they're flocking to Android, and given some critical mass they'll flock to webOS as well.

I'll say it again: we're just at the beginning of things in smartphones. Apple's done a great job so far, but things aren't even close to being over. In fact, they've only begun.

That's no guarantee of success for HP and Palm, but I'm liking the possibilities.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    I thought it came out in july ..
    Announced today - and timed perfectly to take momentum away from the huge Evo success of last week's Sprint launch...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    But Cash reserves would be and Apple has more. And unlike HP, most of it is sitting in a bank it's not something owed to them that they have to wait to come due. That's my point.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one (and trust me, usually I hate that phrase).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by scott500 View Post
    Could anything be more boring. Same tired old interface on a slightly modified case. I guess all the kool aid drinkers will be lined up to pay just about ANY price to get their hands on one.

ho hum.....I couldn't be any more un-interested in that thing.
    The internals aren't too bad:

"a new high resolution display that doubles the pixels in each direction (960 x 640) for a 4X overall pixel count increase -- Apple calls it a "Retina Display." It's rated at 326ppi, which Apple claims is beyond the human eye's limit of distinction. Check out an example of the new screen up against the iPhone 3G after the break. Similar to the iPad, it's an IPS display, offering 800:1 contrast. Naturally, it's still the same old 3.5-inch size. Under the hood is the A4 processor that runs the iPad. Despite the new engine (and the 25% thinner chassis), Apple managed to make the battery slightly larger, and the new handset is rated at 7 hours of 3G talk, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of WiFi browsing, 10 hours of video, and 40 hours of music. Oh, and that WiFi? It's 802.11n now. The camera has been bumped to 5 megapixels, with 5X digital zoom and a "backside illuminated sensor," which now can also record HD video at 720p / 30fps."

Starting with the 3GS, they switched from trying to super-wow people into making a solid modern phone. Not too bad of a strategy IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one (and trust me, usually I hate that phrase).
    i can agree to disagree but, what i don't get is you agreed with the other poster that "Market cap isn't a reflection of how much money you can spend to create and sell products." Inferring that money you can spend to create and sell products IS what is important. but you disagree with my statement that cash is a reflection of what you can spend to create and sell products? don't see how that makes sense. Apple has more cash to spend to create and sell products. Simple as that.

regardless the bottom line is this as of today. Apple has a new product to sell now and HP/palm has last years phone. Until HP releases a competing product they lose that fight. gotta go. time to eat. we'll agree to disagree
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The only thing stopping more development for webOS is market share. And the only thing stopping webOS devices having more market share has been Palm's lack of financial resources. That disappears with HP's backing.

Palm has always had a great development environment (and a steadily improving, albeit flawed, SDK), and a much more open environment. Developers are chomping at the bit for alternatives to Apple given how Apple cuts them off at the knees. That's why they're flocking to Android, and given some critical mass they'll flock to webOS as well.

I'll say it again: we're just at the beginning of things in smartphones. Apple's done a great job so far, but things aren't even close to being over. In fact, they've only begun.

That's no guarantee of success for HP and Palm, but I'm liking the possibilities.
    Unless Palm was working on earth breaking device, HP doesn't have enough time to release next generation device within next 6 months. By then, Iphone 4, Android 2.2+, RIM and Microsoft Mobile 7 will take the market.

I don't think HP will dump their hard earning money into something they can't win.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i can agree to disagree but, what i don't get is you agreed with the other poster that "Market cap isn't a reflection of how much money you can spend to create and sell products." Inferring that money you can spend to create and sell products IS what is important. but you disagree with my statement that cash is a reflection of what you can spend to create and sell products? don't see how that makes sense. Apple has more cash to spend to create and sell products. Simple as that.

regardless the bottom line is this as of today. Apple has a new product to sell now and HP/palm has last years phone. Until HP releases a competing product they lose that fight. gotta go. time to eat. we'll agree to disagree
    Cash isn't always an indication of what can be spent - because spending it reflects in their financial results and contributes to EPS. All that cash is good for acquisitions and investing, too. Regardless of where the $ comes from or what they spend it on, it all gets evaluated during quarterly earnings reports... Apple and HP both have those. The real issue is that Apple's gross margins and profitability are higher so they are focused on new products while HP is focused on re-organization and absorbing their recent acquisitions of 3Com and EDS...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I switched from a iPhone 3g to the Pre Plus on AT&T two weeks ago; and after watching the keynote today, I have no regrets in doing so. My Pre can do all the things that iPhone 4 can do minus the front camera. Netflix and iMovie were pretty interesting but I don't want to do either of those on a phone. I know it all boils down to preference. But I can tell you I'm pretty happy with my Palm product right now.
    Marketing vs Reality for Uses of FaceTime

Chances that:
    I will be in Iraq while my wife/girlfriend is having a baby = 3%
    My wife/girlfriend will want to see where I'm at while I'm in a bar with my guy friends = 100%

Chances that:
    My friends will want to show me outfits they're trying on = 7%
    Chances my friends will show me disgusting things involving the **** or their Balls that I don't want to see = 100%

Chances that:
    I will do sign language with another person = 4%
    My boss will call me while I'm at a Giants game in SF = 100%

Chances that:
    I'll show my grandparents some family event = 30% (I only have one left and she's 98)
    My grandparents will not know how to work FaceTime on an iPhone no matter how easy it's supposed to be = 100%

Most likely this feature will follow the path of Chatroulette, it will be cool at first but will soon become intrusive and a liability.
    I agree with this. While Face Time or whatever they call the program on the EVO are great in concept and will be fun and come in handy at times, I can only imagine the damage this will have on some relationships.

This will be happening all the time........

"Where are you?"

"I'm at home"

"Really.......show me"

"Come on now. Can't you trust me?"

"Just show me. Whats the big deal?"

"I don't want to be on video right now"

"Thats fine, just show me your place so I know your home"

"OK hold on........" *click*

text message..."Damn AT&T network! It dropped the call. Sorry."
    I don't think HP will dump their hard earning money into something they can't win.
    I doubt that HP paid that much money only to quit before they even began. What's more I doubt they would have spent that much if they didn't think it would return. Judging by the short but riotous history of the tech industry I'd almost never count any company out especially this early in the market's development.

As for me, I found the best mobile OS and I'm sticking with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    This is completely wrong. Apple and Cisco settled the lawsuit out of court. While the details are unknown, it's most likely that Apple paid a large sum of money to Cisco for the use of their trademark. I wouldn't expect any differently in this instance.
    What was "completely wrong" that Cisco had the name "iPhone" or my joke about Apple taking Cisco down one product name at a time?
    admittedly, Apple has outdone themselves with their latest incarnation. The design and material choices used in manufacturing it are impressive to say the least.

I have faith that HP's added funding combined with Palm's innovative designers will come up with something equally impressive in due time. I just want them to focus more on optimizing and improving WebOS to run smoother.
    What was "completely wrong" that Cisco had the name "iPhone" or my joke about Apple taking Cisco down one product name at a time?
    Apple isn't taking anything from Cisco, they're paying for it, so Cisco is most likely happy to go along with it, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Apple isn't taking anything from Cisco, they're paying for it, so Cisco is most likely happy to go along with it, that's all.
    So you do realize that part was a joke?
    Engadget's official comparison post:

iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget

It doesn't look pretty, but at least the Pre Plus made it to the game... that's more than can be said for any RIM device.

It's clear that the categories could have been selected differently to emphasize some areas where the PrePlus / WebOS is as strong / stronger than Iphone4 (arguably... physical keyboard, true multitasking, facebook integration / app, openness/homebrew, development flexibility, etc...), but that wasn't really the purpose of Ziegler's post.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Of course not. But winning isn't going to be defined over the next six months or year or even five years. It's only the incredibly impatient that think that HP Palm have to release a new smartphone RIGHT NOW!!!!! or they'll be out of the smartphone race.

Hell, Microsoft won't be releasing any Win Phone 7 devices until the end of the year, and they'll be very much in the race in 2011, mark my words. This thing is going to be a real battle for a number of years before things settle out (if they ever do, before the next big thing takes over).
    iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget

I must say, All of those devices outshine the pre specs. The camera, batterylife, the display on our pres are a joke compared to all the others.

I still love my pre, but times are changed and I really hope the Pre 2 is around the corner. Doesnt Palm have a keynote on the 9th? I think its for their sdk tho. I love webOS and i hope hp can leverage such a good OS and gain a stable amount of marketshare for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm not seeing anything from HP that shows how committed they are to smartphone platform development. Yes they are going to make smartphones. They always have. They could just add the Pre and Pixi to the iPAQ page and keep their promise to develop smartphones along with other devices. But are they really going to dive headfirst into the platform arms race to match what Apple is shipping at the END OF THIS MONTH?
    Come on, now, what do you expect HP or Palm to be doing right now? The deal's not even closed yet, and won't be until July 31. HP has said everything they can say about their plans, which is to "double down" on webOS on all sorts of devices. They're not being so short-sighted when it comes to the mobile market, why are so many people like you?
    So you do realize that part was a joke?
    I saw that you said it was a joke, yes. Not sure how it's supposed to be even the slightest bit funny, but if you think it is, then whatever.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast