Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Has anyone ever heard of a little something by Cisco call IOS? Drop the upper case I and put a number behind it. Wallah ios4. Cisco IOS (originally Internetwork Operating System) is the software used on the vast majority of Cisco Systems routers and current Cisco network switches.
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Such as?
    Printer phones.... Geez, don't you follow the news?

Switching. I love many of the Pre's features, but it isn't giving me what I need. The lack of mainstream apps is what is bothering me, and I refuse to wait any longer. I will sure miss opening multiple cards when web browsing though. Well pre, it has been a good year. God.... I wish the iPhone ran WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a little something by Cisco call IOS? Drop the upper case I and put a number behind it. Wallah ios4. Cisco IOS (originally Internetwork Operating System) is the software used on the vast majority of Cisco Systems routers and current Cisco network switches.
    They had "iPhone" too or at least they thought they did. It's Apple's little way at taking down Cisco, one product name at a time.
    Ouch lol
    Next they will try to say ios4 does multitasking. oops already said that one huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Such as?
    Let me put it this way: HP holds over 32,000 patents.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    in the context of HP, which has vastly more resources than Apple, across the board.
    not saying your wrong but how do you come up with that?

i looked up the two companies and it seems Apple has a market cap of 228.34B and 23 billion in cash reserves. HP has a market cap of only 106.09B and 14 billion in cash reserves. Plus i'm no financial guru but it seems almost tons of those HP billions seem to be in money owed them but not actually paid yet. I may be wrong on that but that's how it looks.

seems Apple would have more value and more resources.
    Difference is that HP got so many things going on, they have to spread their resources. Apple in other hand, they can put more focus on Iphone and iOS4. So if you ask me who will win this race, I will Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    not saying your wrong but how do you come up with that?

i looked up the two companies and it seems Apple has a market cap of 228.34B and 23 billion in cash reserves. HP has a market cap of only 106.09B and 14 billion in cash reserves. Plus i'm no financial guru but it seems almost tons of those HP billions seem to be in money owed them but not actually paid yet. I may be wrong on that but that's how it looks.

seems Apple would have more value and more resources.
    Market cap isn't what matters here. It's revenues and breadth of product line. Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that Apple has such a high market cap, but that's another discussion entirely. And remember that cash reserves are affected directly by things like acquisitions, of which HP has made a slew in the last few years (including buying EDS for $13.9 billion).

HP generates $120 billion a year in revenues spanning PCs, servers, network infrastructure, IT services, etc. HP is a global organization with retail and distribution presence in 170 companies, and they're as strong in the enterprise as they are in consumer markets. Simply put, HP is a much more capable company than Apple.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    FYI, Market cap isn't a reflection of how much money you can spend to create and sell products. Market cap is what it would cost to buy all of their outstanding stock...
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    They had "iPhone" too or at least they thought they did. It's Apple's little way at taking down Cisco, one product name at a time.
    You are right. Cisco has a trademark for the name iPhone...

And I'm also betting that Cisco buys RIM in the next 12-18 months...
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Could anything be more boring. Same tired old interface on a slightly modified case. I guess all the kool aid drinkers will be lined up to pay just about ANY price to get their hands on one.

ho hum.....I couldn't be any more un-interested in that thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Difference is that HP got so many things going on, they have to spread their resources. Apple in other hand, they can put more focus on Iphone and iOS4. So if you ask me who will win this race, I will Apple.
    You're assuming that HP's investments in one area (e.g., PCs) can't be leveraged in other areas (e.g., tablets). That's untrue, of course. If HP has contracted with a company to provide components for their PC manufacturing (and of course, HP is the world's largest PC manufacturer), then they necessarily get better terms on components for, say, smartphones. And their R&D into, for example, thin screen technology (which they're providing to the military next year, I believe) can be used in screens for, e.g., tablets. The same goes for battery technology, CPUs, memory, etc. etc., etc.

There are tremendous advantages from having HPs scale and breadth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    FYI, Market cap isn't a reflection of how much money you can spend to create and sell products. Market cap is what it would cost to buy all of their outstanding stock...
    Right. As a measure of what a company's capable of doing, it's pretty much irrelevant.
    I thought it came out in july ..
    You're assuming that HP's investments in one area (e.g., PCs) can't be leveraged in other areas (e.g., tablets). That's untrue, of course. If HP has contracted with a company to provide components for their PC manufacturing (and of course, HP is the world's largest PC manufacturer), then they necessarily get better terms on components for, say, smartphones. And their R&D into, for example, thin screen technology (which they're providing to the military next year, I believe) can be used in screens for, e.g., tablets. The same goes for battery technology, CPUs, memory, etc. etc., etc.

There are tremendous advantages from having HPs scale and breadth.
    But these are not going to bring those developers to make apps for new WebOS. Apps >>>> OS or device.
    Market cap isn't what matters here. It's revenues and breadth of product line. Frankly, I think it's ridiculous that Apple has such a high market cap, but that's another discussion entirely. And remember that cash reserves are affected directly by things like acquisitions, of which HP has made a slew in the last few years (including buying EDS for $13.9 billion).

HP generates $120 billion a year in revenues spanning PCs, servers, network infrastructure, IT services, etc. HP is a global organization with retail and distribution presence in 170 companies, and they're as strong in the enterprise as they are in consumer markets. Simply put, HP is a much more capable company than Apple.
    Apple's excells in tons of areas HP doesn't. apples to oranges. well apple has more value. And it has more cash. So i think cash equates to resources. HP can buy all it wants and have the all the revenue but apple's profit margins are much better and it's operating costs are almost 1/3 of HP's. you make a lot more profit with apple. Apple's It's market cap is so high cause unlike HP and the other companies it has pretty consistent earnings over a 10 year span, and apple earnings per share is more then double HP's. So an investor is getting more then twice the profit for every share he/she buys. It's a better stock and a better business. HP "more capable?" maybe of unreliable laptops and overpriced printers. Not at being at being the best run business.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But Cash reserves would be and Apple has more. And unlike HP, most of it is sitting in a bank it's not something owed to them that they have to wait to come due. That's my point.
    I don't like the iPhone myself, but of course it's pretty impressive hardware that I would hope whatever new phone Palm releases next will at the very least come close to.

But I just have to say, I absolutely hate that they're trying to pass off a screen as some fancy new technology called a "Retina Display". Uh, it's an IPS panel, those have been used forever, which is higher resolution. From what I can see, yes it's very impressive, but let's call a spade a spade.
    In the end for me, it will really boil down to what new phones Sprint has to offer this year. I actually like the new iPhone (it has to it's credit addressed most of the things that I felt made the Pre a better phone over the 3GS...with the exception of no hardware keyboard...), but I would never willingly sign up on AT&T. I have them on my Blackberry, and I hate the service. Lots of dropped calls, poor call quality, unreliable 3G service.

I like Verizon, but can't see spending the extra money when the Sprint coverage and service here is so great. (And yes, I am in a 4G area!!!). So whatever new phone I get will be a Sprint phone. I am holding out to see what the year brings. I like the Evo, but am still a fan of WebOS, so if I have my preference HP/Palm will drop a new phone sometime this year with up to date specs.

I would actually consider an iPhone if it was offered by Sprint. I am not such a WebOS ****** that I discount other phones all together. But I still think that WebOS is a superior phone OS compared to the competition. It is neck and neck with iPhone v.4, with each having trade offs...WebOS having better multitasking and more open standards for apps, but crippled with less than stellar hardware and lack of certain API's. iPhone has the best app catalog around and polished user interface, but has draconian standards and is crippled with AT&T. Android is really good, but I feel that the fact that there are so many phones with so many different versions of the OS and hardware that it is difficult for this platform to really get robust apps that fully utilize the hardware and current version of features.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast