Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Palm f@nb0ies are bad too. We still think Pre is better than EVO and Iphone 4.
    100% agree. That's why i asked. I wasn't sure his perspective. They are the same regardless of product they are evangalizeing about. I have no clue what a pink pony parade is though? lol.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    The A4 is clocked @ 1Ghz. It's the same processor that's in the iPad.
    Thanks, that's not bad.

And I don't like AT&T but when they put a cap on data usuage this week, I think the network will improve due to less congestion. I have a couple friends that literally use 20 gigs a month on a Iphone which is insane.

It might be Sprint that may be in trouble if they continue to allow unlimited data with a hot android device.
    Apple's biggest advantage is having enough resources to develop their own components. iOS is meh, webOS is WAY more elegant, but Apple's hardware is years ahead of everyone. They produced their own steal alloy for this thing! And that retina display in, ina word, incredible. Give me webOS on that thing and I'll never want again.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    And that is what I am getting at. The real problem is that Palm is 6 months behind Apple and HTC in their product cycle. And because of this, of course the current Pre+, just like the Pre, doesn't match up to the Apple or HTC products that have just been released.
    To say the Pre is 6mo behind is being very VERY generous. Even when the Pre was released a year ago it struggled in every category except multitasking.

In JUN 2010 it's tough to compare the Pre to anything because it would be unfair. So I think that in this quickly evolving market then the Pre leans closer to being a "Feature Phone" than a 2010 "Smartphone".

What We Expect Out of a 2010 Feature Phone:
    -Phone Calls
    -Facebook/Twitter/Text
    -Specialty Task (Multitasking)

What We Expect Out of a 2010 Smartphone:
    -Comfortable Video Playback
    -Multiple levels of communication (vid, skype etc)
    -Advanced Music Player
    -Quality App Catalog
    -Big/High Res Screen
    -Books
    -Media Creation Tools
    -Quality Hardware

Sure, some will try to shoehorn the Pre to be "capable" of smartphone tasks but even if it "can" do it, consumer expectations have risen pretty high. So for 2010 then phones like the EVO, iPhones, HD2, Droid etc would fall into the smartphone category. But the Pre has drifted to be closer to the Microsoft Kin class devices that aim to be "good enough" for an audience with very limited needs.

I know that assessment upsets some, but in a world where the EVO and iPhone4 exist then it's tough to recommend the Pre to anyone who wants a sophisticated smartphone.
    WebOS just got one two punches from HTC EVO and Iphone 4. Now Microsoft's Mobile 7 will be release within next few months, Palm/HP has to do something really fast. If we don't have any update or announcement of next generation Pre before Microsoft's announcement, I think it's game over for HP's smartphone market business. Then again, I still think HP bought the Palm for WebOS, not the smartphone.
    I don't think Palm has to worry too much about Windows Phone 7. When it comes to smartphones, MS is the new Palm. They basically killed off WM and replaced it with an all new OS that will not be as functional as any of their competitors (including WebOS).

Smartphones are basically a 3 horse race, RIM, Apple and Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    As a Palm and webOS fan, I'd much rather you pollute the Android and iPhone forums than litter Precentral with all of your obvious "insights" and obnoxious complaining.
    Pre users post plenty of "polluting" comments as well. This is a cross platform forum. People should be free to discuss other platforms if they want to. If all you want is an only Pro Palm stuff there is nothing to stop you from reading ONLY the Pre sections. You chose to read this thread you can't be mad or surprised that people expressed opinions.

You're not only being negative, you're being terribly redundant.
    your post is guilty of the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I don't think Palm has to worry too much about Windows Phone 7. When it comes to smartphones, MS is the new Palm. They basically killed off WM and replaced it with an all new OS that will not be as functional as any of their competitors (including WebOS).

Smartphones are basically a 3 horse race, RIM, Apple and Google.
    You can't count MS out of this race. Trust me, they got one of the best development tool, visual studio. With this tool, you can easily port to Mobile 7 Apps, they will attract so many developers in this market with shortest time. Best os doesn't win this race, WebOS is big example here, it's always apps and who is developing it. Microsoft learned it from Apple, they will control the device specification, and make it easier for developers to create stable apps for future devices.

I will say, MS will get back into this race faster than everyone expected to be. And plus, they will release their phone on Verizon and any other providers.
    So. The Pre+ is still almost a 6 months old device - the one just released on ATT is no different than the Verizon one announced almost 6 months ago - its just got a GSM radio instead of a CDMA one!!

I'm not going to apologize for the short comings of the Pre or Pre+ when compared to the iPhone 4 but comparing a device that is 6 months old to one that is just/soon to be released is no more valid than defending the Palm Palm's faults to a iPhone 3GS when the Pre first came out.
    So when a customer walks into an AT&T store to look for a new Smartphone, what do you expect that he or she going to compare the Pre+ too, a left over Windows Mobile 6 phone?
    I am holding out for the next webOS device, but Palm needs to improve the hardware, and app ecosystem to sustain customers.

We'll see how things play out by then...

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    100% agree. That's why i asked. I wasn't sure his perspective. They are the same regardless of product they are evangalizeing about. I have no clue what a pink pony parade is though? lol.
    Sure you do. Making fun of people is what you do when you're unqualified to have an intelligent discussion.

"Dude, This iPhone3G has a ton of apps"
    "But does it multitask"
    "Dude, This iPhone3Gs has an autofocus camera"
    "But does it have a camera flash?"
    "Dude, This iPhone4 has a high res screen, video chat, Netflix, Books, HD Movie Editing, a Camera Flash and Jenga"
    ".... Well...you're moms fat. Go join the pink pony parade"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    your post is guilty of the same thing.
    True, I'm being redundant, but like I tell my teenage daughter: I'll stop responding the same way when she stops doing the same things.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    This is how hardcore Palm Pre fans are doing nowaday,

Quote Originally Posted by DaHui623 View Post
    Apple's biggest advantage is having enough resources to develop their own components. iOS is meh, webOS is WAY more elegant, but Apple's hardware is years ahead of everyone. They produced their own steal alloy for this thing! And that retina display in, ina word, incredible. Give me webOS on that thing and I'll never want again.
    Yes, valid point: Apple has resources. Now, think about that in the context of HP, which has vastly more resources than Apple, across the board. HP does more R&D on basic technology than just about anyone in the tech industry, barring maybe IBM and Microsoft (and maybe even then). If you follow HP, you'll note that they're pioneering some pretty cool technology, and stuff that Apple hasn't even dreamed about.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Until we have six sides of glass to swipe clean in the next Palm device instead of the iPhone's two glass sides I'll never be happy
    Make it dishwasher-proof too!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Marketing vs Reality for Uses of FaceTime

Chances that:
    I will be in Iraq while my wife/girlfriend is having a baby = 3%
    My wife/girlfriend will want to see where I'm at while I'm in a bar with my guy friends = 100%

Chances that:
    My friends will want to show me outfits they're trying on = 7%
    Chances my friends will show me disgusting things involving the **** or their Balls that I don't want to see = 100%

Chances that:
    I will do sign language with another person = 4%
    My boss will call me while I'm at a Giants game in SF = 100%

Chances that:
    I'll show my grandparents some family event = 30% (I only have one left and she's 98)
    My grandparents will not know how to work FaceTime on an iPhone no matter how easy it's supposed to be = 100%

Most likely this feature will follow the path of Chatroulette, it will be cool at first but will soon become intrusive and a liability.
    Maybe someone at Palm could leave their prototype of the next webOS phone at a local bar...
    I was just looking on apple's website, and man did they make the 3GS look bad. Just go to the Retina display page and scroll down to see a side-by-side comparison of the 3gs and iphone 4. It's unbelievable, if it was really like that no one would have purchased a 3gs. Nice try apple, I'm sick of them saying things are revolutionary when other gadgets already have them
    This is how hardcore Palm Pre fans are doing nowaday,

That's cute and all, but not very accurate. I don't think you'll actually find many Palm Pre "fans," other than folks who say that they'll stick with their Pre until the next webOS device comes out (such as myself). And really, that's what many of us are fans of in the first place: webOS.

To be clear: yes, I know that the Pre has been superceded by more recent devices. Obviously. Now, understand: it still works great for me. Kind of like my 2009 G37 works great for me even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles on the 2010 G37. Or the 2010 BMW 335i. Or whatever new models have been introduced. That's entirely to be expected.

But webOS holds its own very well, even though it's a version 1 OS competing against a version 4 OS in iOS4 and a version 2 OS in Android. Again, not to say that webOS doesn't have to compete against those OSs. It does. But in spite of its relative newness, it still does pretty darn well in the core areas.

With HP's financial, distribution, and manufacturing resources backing webOS, things'll just get better from here. That's not ignoring reality, that's embracing it. The only difference is that I'm like HP: I take a long-term outlook on things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sure you do. ...

".... Well...you're moms fat. Go join the pink pony parade"
    honestly i've never heard that term before. the way you describe it it doesn't sound like something i'm interested in. i'm gonna pass on the pink ponies.

True, I'm being redundant, but like I tell my teenage daughter: I'll stop responding the same way when she stops doing the same things.
    Then it stands to reason that your response, both of them, aren't having the desired effect. Additionally such a stance puts you in a logical quandary. If you'll be redundant as long as she his redundant. Then she is likely to be redundant as long as you continue to be redundant creating a self perpetuating cycle of redundant behavior. regardless, you should expect such discussion in a cross platform thread.
    If you follow HP, you'll note that they're pioneering some pretty cool technology, and stuff that Apple hasn't even dreamed about.
    Such as?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast