Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    I am sorry but I agree with solarus, the + was a 1.2 hardware version release not a 2.0 hardware. They are basically the same thing.

BTW the iPhone 3G came in 8GB, and 16GB, it was still the iPhone 3g
    And the Incredible is "basically" the Evo4G, and the all Blackberries are the same phone, and the Centro is "basically" any Treo and wow...it looks like manufacturers releasing handsets within months of each other use very similar components and OSes, even though they are distinctly different handsets.

Is this like a revelation to some people around here?
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    OK, I will go as far as to say the pre and pre+ are the same thing. Adding memory does not make a new device.

it is putting lipstick on a pig.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    C'mon guys. Does it matter whether Pre and Pre Plus are same device.

Point is. Where Apple was maybe slightly losing just a bit of momentum to Android, especially the EVO, they fought back big time and put themselves in the spotlights again. It will be a very VERY challenging task for Palm to at least create some similar buzz around a new device as they did with the original Pre at CES to at least somehow not render themselves totally irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    C'mon guys. Does it matter whether Pre and Pre Plus are same device.

Point is. Where Apple was maybe slightly losing just a bit of momentum to Android, especially the EVO, they fought back big time and put themselves in the spotlights again. It will be a very VERY challenging task for Palm to at least create some similar buzz around a new device as they did with the original Pre at CES to at least somehow not render themselves totally irrelevant.
    +1, Also I think a lot of people felt like they got burnt this time around, lots of palm loyalist came back to palm just to find them dropping the ball again. they will be hesitant to return.

The average consumer has the attention span of a flea when it comes to cellphones and electronics, if there is enough buzz created they will want it. Unfortunately for Palm i think they have burnt their bridge with a lot of consumers already.

the EVO, iPhone 4, WinMo7 are just more nails in the coffin...

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    again what your saying dosnet make sense, the regular pre and the plus is the same damn phone, just the difference is double memory and ram, and no button (it has the same keyboard they stated everytime they tightened it up alittle, and made the buttons more clicky). To me this sounds like a tweak to a flawed designed product, not a new device. I guess your prob one of those peope who had a toyota camary and when the recalled it and added a new pedal, you told everyone you had the 2012 camary.
    If it's the same phone, then why did Verizon have it exclusively for a few months?

Why weren't the same "little tweaks" applied to all Pre phones?

It's not the same device. It's physically different. It runs the SAME software but different. It does things that the other cannot. What other criteria must it meet to be a new WebOS device? You don't think they'll make another vertical slider with a gesture area?

If you had to have a new processor and new screen to be a new distinct device, you could wipe out most smartphones in existence right now as being nothing but tweaks. What's the point?
    I'm done with Sprint/Palm.

Will pre-order the iPhone4 and be gone on June 24. My Pre held promise, and after a year it hasn't held up its end of the bargain.

Have spent 3 hours with Evo in hand at the Sprint store...trying to convince myself...trying to convince the fiance...trying to tell myself that saving $30/month on the family plan will be worth it.

In the end, it won't be. Guess I'll go put on my sheep-suit now...
    lol im done........I hope with all this discussion's on here, and everywhere else that Palm/HP is listening. I hope they release another device soon, and it can compete with the new iphone 4, Evo, dodos, cocos etc. Lets all cross our fingers, and smile ONE TIME
    I'm sorry to say, but NOBODY can compete with Apple. They're just too far ahead of the curve. A lot of phones just being released in the past 6 months or so are devices just trying to match the original iPhone. Now, for the next 2 years, everyone will be scrambling to release something that will just keep them somewhat close to new iPhone. Apple will likely release modest upgrades next year, and then blow the rest of the field away again in 2 years with a new device. It sucks, because I hate Apple, but they're just so far ahead of everyone else in terms of hardware and software (and just overall technological vision) that it's not even really a competition. You have the iPhone and then you have everyone else competing to be a very, very, very, very distant #2.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that Apple has the luxury of taking time to REALLY do things right. They didn't have to rush a totally new phone out last year. They were in a position to release some fairly underwhelming updates and hold of for a blockbuster release this year. Everyone else is now instantly in scramble mode to throw SOMETHING together that has 1 or 2 of the iPhone 4 features, but nobody it seems has the time, resources, or ingenuity to release anything that can even rival the iPhone, much less surpass it.

Credit Palm for pushing the envelope with WebOS with a great UI and outstanding multitasking and trying to something original. Now, it's back to drawing board for Palm/HP and every other smartphone maker in the world.

I wonder how many smarthphone engineers just crumpled up plans and threw them in the trash today?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If it's the same phone, then why did Verizon have it exclusively for a few months?

Why weren't the same "little tweaks" applied to all Pre phones?

It's not the same device. It's physically different. It runs the SAME software but different. It does things that the other cannot. What other criteria must it meet to be a new WebOS device? You don't think they'll make another vertical slider with a gesture area?

If you had to have a new processor and new screen to be a new distinct device, you could wipe out most smartphones in existence right now as being nothing but tweaks. What's the point?

Now looking at it that way you are correct, but I guess when people think new phone in this day and age it matches the competitors. Like 1ghz processor, a bigger screen, more memory etc. What your saying actully is correct, the plus was in a sense a new phone, the question is did Palm think of it that way when they initally released the Pre Plus on Verizon, or did they think lets just fix some of the complaints we have with our current pre like the keyboard, more memory etc. Only they know.
    I still dont see wats the big deal about iPhone4.....waiting for Palm to announce something before the end of the month...cmon Palm...show some luv
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Pre is dead, I'm gonna save up for a more promising Sprint phone, no needs to buy anymore apps, it's done. Palm moved too slow and the competition moved too fast.

Waiting for a new webos device at this point is insane, what support for developers will it actually get? Even if the dream 4.3 webos device hits the market who's gonna make apps for it at this point?

Look at the competition and get real.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    lol im done........I hope with all this discussion's on here, and everywhere else that Palm/HP is listening. I hope they release another device soon, and it can compete with the new iphone 4, Evo, dodos, cocos etc. Lets all cross our fingers, and smile ONE TIME
    Now it's time to bring on the cortex A9.....apple goofed on the cpu and it will be outdated in a matter of months.......enjoy apple lovers and the snapdragon is second to the A4...bye bye evo!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    ... and I work with a whole bunch of f.a.n.b.o.y.s and apologists. Wish I could go home early. It's a friggin' pink pony parade going on here today. *gag*
    Which ones? Palm or Iphone or Android? They are all bad.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Anyone know what the processor speed is of the 4G Iphone? All I hear is A4...

Knowing apple I wouldn't be surprised if it's like 700mhz.
    The new iPhone has some exciting new features but one thing that's not changed is that's it's still on AT&T.

I'm not about to give up reliable calling that easy without hearing what Palm's new device is gonna be about. Because when it comes down to it a phone is worthless if it can't get a signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Which ones? Palm or Iphone or Android? They are all bad.
    Palm f@nb0ies are bad too. We still think Pre is better than EVO and Iphone 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    OK, I will go as far as to say the pre and pre+ are the same thing. Adding memory does not make a new device.

it is putting lipstick on a pig.
    Pre and Pre Plus have the same internals besides storage, right? If so, I agree, not really a "new" phone. The Plus would be for the added storage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    Anyone know what the processor speed is of the 4G Iphone? All I hear is A4...

Knowing apple I wouldn't be surprised if it's like 700mhz.
    The A4 is clocked @ 1Ghz. It's the same processor that's in the iPad.
    Okay, guys, here's the deal: Palm never had the money to attack the market like we'd hoped. They didn't have the money to develop webOS as quickly as we'd have liked, to market it as widely and as well as we'd have liked, to fix quality issues as quickly as we'd have liked, etc. That's Palm's failure sure enough. And so, they didn't survive as a standalone company: they're being purchased by HP. This shouldn't be news to anyone.

However, they did manage to make this really outstanding mobile OS called webOS, and they made a few nice smartphones (one with some build quality issues) that have now (naturally) been eclipsed by newer devices. No surprise there, but what should be encouraging is the generally very positive press that webOS has received throughout (and if you haven't noticed it, you're just not paying attention). Palm should get credit for what they did right as much as blame for what they did wrong, and in the end, HP saw value in the company to the tune of $1.2 billion. That's not exactly an abject failure in my book.

Now, the unfortunate fact is that little can happen right now while the HP acquisition is ongoing. And, very little will likely happen (although I'd love to be surprised) until the acquisition closes on July 31. HP can't say much because of various rules around such things, and neither can Palm. And, what little they could say wouldn't be very smart to say right now.

Nevertheless, if you're the impatient type who has to have immediate gratification, then by all means: go get an Evo or an iPhone 4. Please. Seriously. Do it. As a Palm and webOS fan, I'd much rather you pollute the Android and iPhone forums than litter Precentral with all of your obvious "insights" and obnoxious complaining. And you may not realize it, but you're just repeating things that have been posted ad nauseum since at least June of 2009. You're not only being negative, you're being terribly redundant.

For myself, I'm willing to ride this thing out. webOS will soon be owned by the world's largest technology company, which has a strategic incentive to make webOS successful on all of the devices they've talked about so far: smartphones, tablets, netbooks, and other HP-specific products like printers, scanners, etc. HP also has some of the strongest cloud services infrastructure around, along with key relationships in retail and commercial distribution.

And HP isn't stupid: they see the value of smartphones, with an estimated 500 million units to be sold in 2014. To imagine that they'll overlook this market because "they just wanted webOS, not smartphones" is ignorant at best, and simply juvenile at worst.

In six months to a year, webOS will be running on millions of HP devices, some with the Palm name on them (I'm guessing, just the smartphones) and some with HP's name on them (tablets, netbooks, printers, scanners, etc.). And they'll all be tied to the same infrastructure, sharing backend services and data, and being sold through thousands of retail outlets worldwide. And they'll be made with technology that is either the best that money can buy (which HP can provide) or--some day--that represents HP's significant R&D capabilities (such as thin-film display tech that only HP can make, and memristor technology that HP has pioneered).

But as pie-in-the-sky as all that might sound, it's just downright stupid to talk about Palm as if they're still the cash-strapped company that's barely hanging on for dear life. We're just in the eye of the storm right now, waiting for the HP acquisition to close. And in the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my Pre for everything it does that I need it to do to make me productive while looking forward to what it will do once it's running on even better hardware.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast