Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    iPhone goes on sale at the end of the month. An upcoming leak of a new Palm device is too late already...

How superior webOS is, all the rest about Palm (hardware, features, apps, functionality) is so way behind on Apple and more and more so on Android too.
    Agreed. The iPhone shown today is better in regards to functionality and hardware than a Palm device released 12 months ago. If it wasn't then it would really be strange.

Palm better get to work and start working on a new device sometime in the future then...oh wait what am I thinking. All Palm employees have been spending their time between OS updates and ping pong for the last year. They haven't spent any time working on a next gen device at all. /SARCASM

All I'm saying is better to hold off until we see what Palm have been working on. For all our sakes, let's hope its good.
    This is all I need to know, Palm took a big blow from the EVO, now iOS4/iPhone4. that is a back to back pile-driver.

I don't want to say Palm is down and the ref is counting but the Pre is a year old (and I have replaced mine three times due to hardware issues) with no advancing hardware in sight... oh and IMHO the + models where not new hardware they where a realization of needed improvements.

I am eligible for an upgrade now on sprint, so the only thing that attracts me is the EVO, otherwise their line-up blows. Obviously I have the Pre and love it, but it is quickly falling behind the times.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 06/07/2010 at 02:02 PM.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Now palm/HP will have an uphill task to look forward to. The new i-phone will be released and it has monstrous specifications and software manipulations. Of-course Steve Jobs can do it as he has more than 35K employees. Here is a list of few things that palm pre-2 at least need to be at par:

1) A-4 & battery consumption: cant come close to it as it was devised by apple itself, however maybe we can beat them in processor speed if pre-2 gets more than 1GHz. Though 1Ghz may consume a lot of battery life for pre-2, than 1Ghz A-4 for iPhone will.

2) Video: HD video w ability to send at lower resolution w 30 fps. One can autofocus while making a video. Once again palm may not have enough resources to work on all these small things that make a software great.

3) Resolution 960* 640, 4 times the last resolution of i-phone. I hope once again palm has the money, time and employees to make it all work. Not sure about the new retina display but we do need quadruple resolution for pre-2.

4) Glass in back and front w body being used as antenna: This will drastically improve reception for iphone, one of the few complaints of the iphone users. I hope pre-2 will come with better or matching reception.

5) Front facing camera: Video chat: Once again an uphill task for palm pre-2. Plus this needs to blend with the UI seamlessly with ability to come in and out of it at a rapid pace, unlike the phone camera app right now we have which does take some time to load. Better night time picture taking ability.

6) Noise reduction: I bet something palm wont even think about as they already have so many things to do on hand.

7) ibook store: that palm lacks completely. Web-OS-2 should come out with a book reading software, that is able to download books from free projects without involving the PC. We need to have ability to read all formats of books. If the publishers wont come to us, darn we should go to them.

8) Few other things like digital compass, gyroscope (again probably not palm priority) to make pre-2 funky and set apart.

9) Somehow convince google to make turn by turn directions for web-OS2. Almost everyone have them, plus this would be a trump card over i-phone beside dual core processor and 4G

10) Movie playing app like netflix

11) FM radio (its such a tiny chip)

12) WIFI n and bluetooth keyboard support.

13) Bigger battery: maybe contact seidoonline for battery help.

14) Better display: Maybe SUPER-AMOLED screen
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    understand, when I stated not comparing a first generation device to a 4th generation device, it has nothing at all to do with treatment. My comment is LOGICAL, because you cant compare a device that was developed to hurdle devices that are currently out, it dosent make sense to. As I stated again, if you want to compare the Iphone 4 to the next generation WebOS phone then yes that would be a comperable comparison being both devices were made in the current market. Understanding the market better then any of us if they intend on staying competitve, Palm and or HP (depending on the rumorred device is already produced by Palm or not) know they must make specs comparable to the current lineup of phones available. Use your head.
    There's nothing out yet by Palm. Palm Pre Plus vs. Iphone 4 is a logical comparison because those two phones are on AT&T and have been released in the same timeframe.

The Palm Pre Plus was just released like a month ago.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    There's nothing out yet by Palm. Palm Pre Plus vs. Iphone 4 is a logical comparison because those two phones are on AT&T and have been released in the same timeframe.

The Palm Pre Plus was just released like a month ago.
    So. The Pre+ is still almost a 6 months old device - the one just released on ATT is no different than the Verizon one announced almost 6 months ago - its just got a GSM radio instead of a CDMA one!!

I'm not going to apologize for the short comings of the Pre or Pre+ when compared to the iPhone 4 but comparing a device that is 6 months old to one that is just/soon to be released is no more valid than defending the Palm Palm's faults to a iPhone 3GS when the Pre first came out.

A more valid point would be Palm's slow slow updates to hardware. And even then its only been a year since the original Pre was released so the criticism of Palm could be more focused on bad marketing and hype for a next device, until we see a time frame for a release we'll never know which criticism is valid.
    Last edited by solarus; 06/07/2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Come on guys... if palm/hp should force out a phone that doesn't match the performance of all these new and improve phones,y'all would be on here cursing out palm/hp for such a crappy phone-right! So hold your horses, there will be a new and incredible device out soon! PS. Don't you think palm/hp is reading all these news.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    obviously you along with the orignal person still dont understand what I mean. Of course there is no new WebOS device (either yet, or not at all) so what I'm saying is you cant bash a older phone that was released a year ago for being primative to a brand new phone.
    It is you who does not understand. If there is any "bashing", it is that Palm is not releasing a new device to be competitive with iPhone 4. If they're going to let their product cycle stagnate like that, then they deserve every bit of it. Keep in mind they DID release new devices after the debut of the Pre and prior to iPhone 4. They are:

Pixi.
    Pre Plus.
    Pixi Plus.

So with four opportunities, they failed to make a device that could surpass the iPhone 3GS (in acclaim, sales, mindshare, whatever metric you wanna cite), much less iPhone 4.

That is why they should be bashed.

Technology changes monthly, so of course their will be something better that comes to past. In terms to these two companys not on just pure size and money, Palm phone they released with Web OS was meant to compete with the iphone 3Gs not the iphone 4.
    Wrong again. The Pre was positioned against the iPhone 3G at the time of announcement. No one knew what would be in the 3GS, much less Palm, in January of 2009.

So comparing the Palm Pre in any aspect in terms of technology is irrelevant, because in this sense the Iphone 4 was meant to leap frog over phones of the last generation including the pre. So you can say the Iphone 4 is better in all aspects to the Pre and any other phone that dosent have a predecessor yet. I didnt respond initally asking for beef, which is how your response is target for, which dosent make sense to me. If you dont understand what I mean, ask a question dont jump in a come at someone, we are all hopefully on the same side on here supporting WebOS.
    I'm not jumping on you. I don't want beef. I'm simply saying that your perspective doesn't withstand scrutiny. First, you said we should compare the iPhone 4 against an imaginary device. Now, you say it's "irrelevant" to compare a device meant to leapfrog the current market against the current market. But that's the whole point of designing such a device!

Using your line of thinking, people impressed by the original iPhone should've waited to see what every smartphone manufacturer's response would be to the iPhone before buying any handset. Obviously, they didn't, and it blew away the competition precisely because people do not give handicap points to a product because "it wasn't designed to leap frog" the current competition versus a product that was designed to do that.

Instead, they just buy the "leap frog" product.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    A more valid point would be Palm's slow slow updates to hardware. And even then its only been a year since the original Pre was released so the criticism of Palm could be more focused on bad marketing and hype for a next device, until we see a time frame for a release we'll never know which criticism is valid.
    How many handsets has Palm released in the last 12 months? Four.
    How many has Apple released? Two.

Citing "slow slow updates to hardware" doesn't work as an excuse either.
    It's really unfortunate that the new iPhone is referred to as 4G (as in 4th generation) because it confuses the message about a "4G" network.

I spoke to several people over the weekend that were going to wait for Apple's 4G phone before buying an Evo (or their next upgrade)... Whuh?

Some already have iPhones, some have BlackBerry or whatever. The point is that I talked to Sprint users that were waiting to hear about the iPhone 4G to compare to the Evo 4G... In each case I asked them what their alternative would be and they answered with an invalid comparison:

A Sprint customer waiting for Apple 4G but intending to stay with Sprint. An iPhone customer waiting for iPhone 4G to compare to Evo... A VZ customer who isn't considering Sprint but is asking for a comparison between these two 4G phones...

And my favorite: The Sprint friend that will only stay with Sprint, doesn't live where Sprint has 4G service - and asked me which 4G phone would be faster for web browsing... I couldn't even figure out how to answer that with anything more than "what difference would that make?" Neither pertains to your decision...

Sprint needs to QUICKLY figure out how to talk about 4G in a manner that the public sees as different than iPhone 4G, or they will lose the "First 4G phone on the first 4G network" marketing spin to the mighty Apple marketing monster. Think it's an accident that Apple launched iPhone 4G just as Sprint launched their 4G phone??? Jobs is a genius...
    Huh? When did Steve Jobs say anything about 4G? It's the iPhone 4. I think he said "GEE Whiz..." when one of their demos was massively failing today, but otherwise, no.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Maybe HP knew about the iPhone4 and decided to buy Palm to not be in the smartphone business LOL

Apple indeed does NOT refer to it as iPhone 4G, but as iPhone 4.
    Anybody switching over? I mean come on two awesome phone came out in June.. You can't help but to want one!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

If you want to count a Pre+ and Pixi+ as new phones then go ahead. But that's disingenuous at best and you know it. Adding memory and storage doesn't make a new phone. Adding new chipsets, functionality, a major update to the OS, and maybe changing the form factor are the things that make a new phone a new phone. The Pixi wasn't exactly a step upwards as far as creating a top of the line phone, its easy to put an OS on a slower device with off the shelf parts.

I wasn't making excuses. I merely pointed out as you did that the problem is "slow updates to hardware", more precisely that Palm not releasing a new top of the line phone 12 months after the first phone is the problem, even more so b/c Palm are half year product cycle behind Apple and HTC.
  14.    #54  
    Multiple threads merged.

This is the thread if you want to say:

I love the iPhone 4G
    I hate the iPhone 4G
    I am switching to the iPhone 4G
    I am not switching to the iPhone 4G

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Multiple threads merged.

This is the thread if you want to say:

I love the iPhone 4G
    I hate the iPhone 4G
    I am switching to the iPhone 4G
    I am not switching to the iPhone 4G

- Craig
    Iphone 4. Not 4g.
    My only jealousy is the battery life.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    So. The Pre+ is still almost a 6 months old device - the one just released on ATT is no different than the Verizon one announced almost 6 months ago - its just got a GSM radio instead of a CDMA one!!

I'm not going to apologize for the short comings of the Pre or Pre+ when compared to the iPhone 4 but comparing a device that is 6 months old to one that is just/soon to be released is no more valid than defending the Palm Palm's faults to a iPhone 3GS when the Pre first came out.

Umm tell Palm that their product is 6 months old with just a GSM band in it, not me.

Unless Palm's coming out with a flagship device, the best Palm thing to compare the Iphone 4g to is the Pre Plus on AT&T or Verizon.

wrong they released two models. The plus version are the same phone where do you get new hardware with removing a button the pre, doubling the memory, and ram. Then adding Wifi to the pixi...............hmmmmm I'm confused now with your logic.
    Huh? When did Steve Jobs say anything about 4G? It's the iPhone 4. I think he said "GEE Whiz..." when one of their demos was massively failing today, but otherwise, no.
    Actually, "iPhone 4" is generally used to refer to the not-yet-available update to iPhone OS that will add limited multi-tasking, etc. I know that "4G" isn't actually an official Apple term, you won't find many places in the press where they aren't calling this new phone 4G, because the industry has always used "G/generation" to differentiate between iPhone and iPod models... and Apple marketing knows it.

The point I wanted you to land on is that if my reasonable smartphone-savvy friends didn't realize that iPhone 4(G) and an 4G phone running on a 4G network aren't a valid comparison - then what does the other 95% of the market think? The point is that Sprint needs to address this in there marketing messages and positioning, because the "perceived value" of the 4G term is losing momentum as it becomes more generic. Same thing happened to AT&T when 3G became generic enough to be applied to EVDO Rev A, when technically 3G was originally a term that came from the GSM world...

Perception is reality, and Sprint now has a perception problem, IMHO...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/07/2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Umm tell Palm that their product is 6 months old with just a GSM band in it, not me.

Unless Palm's coming out with a flagship device, the best Palm thing to compare the Iphone 4g to is the Pre Plus on AT&T or Verizon.
    true, but my question to you is why would you? seriously?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast