Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    This forum isn't mainstream. How many will really risk that high ETF just to move? Since they went over $300, things have changed. $175 people might swing but over $300?
    That's sort of what I was referring to with the second half of that. If the diehard tech users switch, it sticks more in the mind of the public when their contracts do expire, even if it's later down the line.

I know this is just an anecdote, but a few people I am casual acquaintances with just bought the original Droid recently when their contract expired, despite the Incredible being available to them.

To them, the original Droid had been buzzworthy because some of their more technical friends had gotten it 6 months earlier, and they hadn't heard anything yet of a Droid Incredible.

It seems to me that at least lately, that's been the case with more than just the couple people I'm referring to there, though obviously, being one of the freaks on a forum like this, I wouldn't know from personal experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Sorry, I concede that I used a poor example, as I don't use Dropbox and therefore wouldn't know the difference between the official app and Dropboxify anyway, but the general point wasn't supposed to be about that specific app. It's that a lot of the stuff that people say they need is already on the Pre, if you actually look for it.

Some people seem like they're complaining about things without bothering to look.
    Isn't that the problem with using the Pre, though? We have to settle for alternatives and hope they're good enough because top tier applications aren't being developed for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Isn't that the problem with using the Pre, though? We have to settle for alternatives and hope they're good enough because top tier applications aren't being developed for WebOS.
    I don't see it as settling. If the app does everything I need, why does it matter who wrote it?

I mean, of course, I'd love more mainstream support behind the platform in general.

But I think the problem sometimes gets a little overstated too.
    I don't see it as settling. If the app does everything I need, why does it matter who wrote it?
    Well, that's just it -- for stuff like Dropbox and, down the line, Skype, I have to hope the app does everything I need because it's a third party solution.

The lack of mainstream developer support also forces me to do things like having to strip the DRM from an ebook I purchased from Amazon because there is no Kindle app for WebOS. Things like that get old after a while.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    The iPhone is perhaps the Rolls Royce of smart phones. As a reasonable person I will stipulate to that. The thing is. Does everybody have to have one to enjoy and even cherish their car? I think not. I fully expected the new Iphone to be better(?) than the Pre. The pace of technological improvement in this space demands this be the case. By this fall there will probably be devices that make this new thing look like and old thing. That does not however diminish the quality or usefulness of this now new thing.

There will be another new Iphone, incredible, evo, spectacular, unbelievble etc. etc. etc. before my contract on the Pre runs out. It's probably silly to even pay attention to all this stuff. It's fun though
    FYI, here is a spoof iPhone add from a Glee cast member... Very funny...

Quote Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
    The iPhone is perhaps the Rolls Royce of smart phones. As a reasonable person I will stipulate to that. The thing is. Does everybody have to have one to enjoy and even cherish their car? I think not. I fully expected the new Iphone to be better(?) than the Pre. The pace of technological improvement in this space demands this be the case. By this fall there will probably be devices that make this new thing look like and old thing. That does not however diminish the quality or usefulness of this now new thing.

There will be another new Iphone, incredible, evo, spectacular, unbelievble etc. etc. etc. before my contract on the Pre runs out. It's probably silly to even pay attention to all this stuff. It's fun though
    I suspect there will be. HTC was probably working on increased resolution the moment they saw the leaked iphone. I'm not into android enough to know what it can support though. I do know Apple was careful about making sure its apps would work and the resolution they chose wasn't an accident. With android, introducing a new res will add to its lineup of different devices with different resolutions. I'm not a dev though and don't know the perils of designing an app around all that.

Maybe the race to bigger is over. We've seen Dell with 5" screen, Evo with 4.3. Apple just came out and said quality of screen is what matters, not size. Quality of camera is what matters, not MP.

As for speed and processors, different OS's seem to require more. Maybe it depends on how optimized they are. So i don't get excited over hardware alone. iOS on an A4 (1ghz supposedly) may still be better performance than android on a 1.5ghz.

To me, it all comes down to ease of use, app selection (key to a smartphone), how integrated the software is, how polished it is, all the little things like copy n paste, app sharing, etc. In this regard, i don't see the next Incredible, android 2.2, or whatever coming close to what will be on sale June 24th.

Palm could always pull a trick out of its hat. They've had time. But the apps still won't be there, core services still won't be there. Maybe Palm will concentrate on what they were known for in the past (organizing info) but that's not exactly a hot ticket mainstream thing. HP never inspired me with any confidence.

This wasn't the usual small upgrade bump for Apple. They really delivered. As a result, i don't really see the iphone 5 being that dramatic an upgrade. We could see a change in notifications, better push mail, better SMS integration, a UI refresh, iChat, and some other little things, but its getting harder to imagine the next big feature and those i mentioned are basically software, not hardware.

The only question i really have is a stupid one. But whether polarized sunglasses will let you see the screen :P They mentioned using the same tech as the ipad's screen and sunglasses are a no go for that. I'm using the iphone as a gps on a mount, music for car and all that so its performance in daylight is important.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts

I mean, of course, I'd love more mainstream support behind the platform in general.

But I think the problem sometimes gets a little overstated too.
    Isn't that answer the very definition of "settling"? The thing you want isn't available so instead you get the alternative product which is almost maybe kinda good enough so it's almost maybe kinda satisfies the need.

And you're accusing people of complaining by naming apps but they are just responding to wynands request to list apps so don't take it so personally.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/08/2010 at 08:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This wasn't the usual small upgrade bump for Apple. They really delivered.
    You said something similar earlier also but Im not seeing where this is a huge upgrade. Don't get me wrong, as an iPhone owner I appreciate all the improvements but increasing screen resolution, multitasking, using a faster chip or putting HD video seems to be more about evolutionary and expected improvements for a device in need of a refresh. Let's be honest, most people didn't realize that their screen resolution wasn't good enough until Jobs told us it so. A high res screen is impressive, but it still won't make book reading on a 3.5" screen an "ideal" task. (I'll still prefer books on a "low res" 10" iPad than a high res iPhone). And when ranked among the history of "one more thing"s then FaceTime falls short in comparison because video chat isn't anything new (especially to foreign markets) and for now it's limited to WiFi and only available iPhone to iPhone. The commercial really pulls at the heartstrings but cmon, WiFi based video chat? That's a decade old notebook standard (I met my newborn niece over video chat and she just turned 7).

I'm not badmouthing the iPhone here, I'm just saying that if someone was on a 3GS then I see how the iPhone4 is better but there's no major "need" fto upgrade and break their unlimited plan/extend their contract. (Especially with those termination fees. Apple can't stay with ATT forever... Hopefully)
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/08/2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHui623 View Post
    Yes Apple has apps. How many of those are tip calculators? Weather apps? Quote apps? If you think Palm's app catalog is full of crap Apple is worse. There's such a thing as too many apps and Apple crossed that long ago.
    And with what they're working with, Palm seems to be working harder than Apple. They're continually pushing out new updates to the OS.
    Yes Apple has alot of crap apps, but they also have envied apps that aren't available for WebOS, e.g. Shazam, SplashID with desktop sync, etc......and all those listed by other users....
    Last edited by suzyQt; 06/08/2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Some people seem like they're complaining about things without bothering to look.
    Yes, and some seem to be complaining just to complain.

Bottom line: we all know that webOS doesn't have the depth and breadth of apps. That's not in dispute. What's being implied by some, however, is that webOS is therefore worthless in spite of its outstanding core capabilities. It's the "what good is multitasking when there are no good apps to multitask" part that's ridiculous, unfounded, and highly subjective.

But, yes, again: if there are apps that you need on your smartphone and webOS doesn't have them, then by all means its not the platform for you.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think the Pre on AT&T will be dead now with the iPhone 4 that can do practically everything that the Pre can do and more. I moved to the Pre because I had been a long time Palm user and thought that the transition from my Treo to the Pre would be less painful - but it wasn't. I just got my Pre on AT&T and think I have to take it back and wait for the iPhone 4. Here are my reasons, and this is basic functionality, no wow factors:

1) Battery - everyone here complains about the Pre's battery life. iPhone 4 just got even better.

2) iPhone 4 body being used as antenna for better phone call reception - my Pre has terrible reception, in my house I used my Treo and had great call reception, now I get dropped calls all the time, and people on the other end saying "what??? I can't hear you......"

3) More and better apps. The Contacts and Calendar, heck all PIMS are a huge disappointment on the Pre. At least on the iPhone there are viable good Contacts and Calendar replacements. I tried to find alternatives on the Pre, but they just don't exist. It's been a year since the Pre's introduction, if they don't exist by now then I don't think they ever will. And let's not forget about document editing....

For $50 more - it will be worth it.
    Last edited by suzyQt; 06/08/2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    You said something similar earlier also but Im not seeing where this is a huge upgrade. Don't get me wrong, as an iPhone owner I appreciate all the improvements but increasing screen resolution, multitasking, using a faster chip or putting HD video seems to be more about evolutionary and expected improvements for a device in need of a refresh. Let's be honest, most people didn't realize that their screen resolution wasn't good enough until Jobs told us it so. A high res screen is impressive, but it still won't make book reading on a 3.5" screen an "ideal" task. (I'll still prefer books on a "low res" 10" iPad than a high res iPhone). And when ranked among the history of "one more thing"s then FaceTime falls short in comparison because video chat isn't anything new (especially to foreign markets) and for now it's limited to WiFi and only available iPhone to iPhone. The commercial really pulls at the heartstrings but cmon, WiFi based video chat? That's a decade old notebook standard (I met my newborn niece over video chat and she just turned 7).

I'm not badmouthing the iPhone here, I'm just saying that if someone was on a 3GS then I see how the iPhone4 is better but there's no major "need" fto upgrade and break their unlimited plan/extend their contract. (Especially with those termination fees. Apple can't stay with ATT forever... Hopefully)
    It's not just the camera, the addition of the front camera (which i really didn't care much about before) and screen. I know you said the screen isn't important to many people and you're probably right. To me, it is. That's one of the reasons i held on so long to the Pre. It's screen is sharper than the 3GS. I'm a big text reader. The Pre's fonts were nice.

Processor got a big bump. Battery life is supposedly raised 40%. 40%. That's huge. Wifi N. A gyro whatever...i'm not even sure what it is, but its there. Camera was bumped. Video was bumped. Flash added to back. Antenna going around the device. Thinner, better design. Noise surpression mics. Backside illumination sensor.

On the video chat, i used it as an example. This is something i didn't have much interest in at all but might grow on me. Wifi only is goofy, but probably a jailbreak away from being usable on 3G.

Some of this stuff isn't new of course like the front camera. What's new is that its now usable, looks good, and works. And like i mentioned before, its usable for the masses so you're not the only geek running around with it. It's only worth having if others have it and can use it as well.

Apple could have easily stopped after high res screen & HD video. This isn't the apple i've come to expect. I'm used to minor updates.

I thank android & their makers (and other competition) for pushing Apple. In return, the others will have to work harder.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yes, and some seem to be complaining just to complain.

Bottom line: we all know that webOS doesn't have the depth and breadth of apps. That's not in dispute. What's being implied by some, however, is that webOS is therefore worthless in spite of its outstanding core capabilities. It's the "what good is multitasking when there are no good apps to multitask" part that's ridiculous, unfounded, and highly subjective.
    If this is all subjective then why is it you're constantly saying that "people are complaining just to complain". Why not accept the fact that many people are complaining because the drawbacks of a particular product and platform are giving them a legitimate reason to complain?

Everyone here bought a WebOS phone because they believed in the platform at some point so the exodus isnt because they're itching to spend money and renew contracts. It's because they're disappointed enough to consider leaving. If it works for you, great. But why judge the motives of people who it doesn't work for?
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/08/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyQt View Post
    I think the Pre on AT&T will be dead now with the iPhone 4 that can do practically everything that the Pre can do and more. I moved to the Pre because I had been a long time Palm user and thought that the transition from my Treo to the Pre would be less painful - but it wasn't. I just got my Pre on AT&T and think I have to take it back and wait for the iPhone 4.
    It's true that the Pre is unlikely to be successful on AT&T competing directly with the iPhone. Its also true that out of the box, it offers very little advantage to a Treo user over the iPhone.

There is one thing it can do though that the iPhone cannot and that is run old PalmOS apps (if you spend the money for the "Classic" app).
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    What will hit first?
    Next WebOS phone or Windows Phone7 (December?)
    Windows Phone 7
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It's true that the Pre is unlikely to be successful on AT&T competing directly with the iPhone. Its also true that out of the box, it offers very little advantage to a Treo user over the iPhone.

There is one thing it can do though that the iPhone cannot and that is run old PalmOS apps (if you spend the money for the "Classic" app).
    True, but the only thing that I would use Classic for would be Agendus and Contacts, and that would mean performing double entry and maintaining 2 extra databases, and that would not "make my life simpler" like a smartphone should.
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyQt View Post
    True, but the only thing that I would use Classic for would be Agendus and Contacts, and that would mean performing double entry and maintaining 2 extra databases, and that would not "make my life simpler" like a smartphone should.
    Then you are better off with the iPhone (though the closest thing to a Treo these days is a Blackberry).
    The Pre does have a physical keyboard which is a win to many... Part of RIM's appeal I think.

The Pre has never really competed against the iPhone as much as it did the Blackberry. If one were to believe everything in this thread RIM would have no market share instead of being #1.

Both the Pre and the iPhone can coexist in the market, just as the BB and the iPhone coexist.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    The Pre does have a physical keyboard which is a win to many... Part of RIM's appeal I think.

The Pre has never really competed against the iPhone as much as it did the Blackberry. If one were to believe everything in this thread RIM would have no market share instead of being #1.

Both the Pre and the iPhone can coexist in the market, just as the BB and the iPhone coexist.
    Unfortunately for Palm, the Pre is no Blackberry. The only thing it does better is web browsing and RIM have a solution coming for that problem. Between RIM, Apple and Google, I am not sure there is much room for Palm. They are competing for 4th place with Microsoft.