Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
    Don't really need to say anything, just watch the video: Pandora Working In The Background On iPhone 4. Awesome. [Video]
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I don't think they have much catch up to do. I doubt their development is just as far as 1.4.5 on webOS. I'm sure they have been working on features of 2.0 for quite awhile. As far as hardware goes, its not like HTC, Motorla, or Samsung are putting out specs that HP can't easily match or exceed. Apple is a little different since they they are not just a software company but design the hardware down to the chip which helps optimize all their products. HP will be more like Apple in their development of phone than HTC which just seems to keep cramming as much high spec hardware in a variety of models so they can basically release the same phone on a bunch of carriers.
    Agreed re: hardware design and manufacturing. Some clarification: I think the catching up wasn't in terms of software (I think that even at 1.4.1 webOS stacks up well, albeit with some missing pieces like audio recording), or hardware (companies will always be leapfrogging one another in terms of specs; that's a given). Rather, I think it's in terms of market penetration.

I don't think HP will be flooding the market with various webOS units of different specs and designs. I could even see them just doing one crazy phone that will integrate with a world of webOS printers, tablets, netbooks, scanners, monitors, or any other device that they could partner with other companies to produce.
    I don't think HP will be like HTC and put out a new flavored device every month (or so it seems). But, I do think there will be more variation than there is today. I could see smartphones aimed at consumers vs. the enterprise, and much more variation per carrier and region. I don't think they'll be like Apple and make a single smartphone.

Lets be honest, the only real difference between the phones we have seen lately and what Palm released a year ago are faster processors(which are already looking dated with what will be on the market in the fall), higher res cameras and video(the Pre's current chip can handle shooting HD video), and front facing cameras. In a way I have to grudgingly agree with what Mark Hurd said when he said smartphones aren't that hard to build. When you build a variety of computers, laptops, servers, and high end printers, I doubt smartphones seem to be that daunting of a task. I don't see it being much of a challenge for HP to make an impressively spec'd phone. The question will be whether it will reflect the passion of Palm or will it just be another phone of the month which is how the HTC phones feel to me sometimes.
    In general I agree here, the hardware delta isn't so great as it's been made out to be. Significant, but not Earth-shattering.

Most interesting here, is the part about Hurd's statement re: making smartphones. To HP, I agree that making a smartphone likely isn't that great a challenge. I mean, this is a company with engineers that design desktop PCs, notebook PCs, servers, network hardware, telecom hardware, and many other complex electronics devices.

I think that what Hurd was saying was more like: a smartphone isn't that great an engineering challenge (particularly for HP). Rather, what's hard is to make an OS and an infrastructure that can bring together so many different kinds of devices into one cohesive whole. That's what HP aims to do.

I, too, wonder how much Palm DNA will impact later HP smartphones. I'm certain that the next one will be all Palm's design--HP has already said they'll be following Palm's roadmap for awhile. And they'd be idiots to ignore Palm's sensibilities here--the Pre had some build and quality control issues, clearly, but the design was spectacular for its day. Something like the Pre with better build quality and modern specs would be an absolutely killer device, and with HP's money and other resources Palm has every ability to deliver on that promise.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I agree with this. HP has to put as much muscle as they can into attracting developers or webOS will end up being a billion dollar operating system for their printers and nothing else. Who would want a webOS tablet if all you can do is browse the internet, play a few games, and use a stopwatch app(no offense stopwatch developers)
    +1

Exactly. Honestly, i can't even get the new Pre if it's releasing tomorrow because I am still under contract. I just want to know if there's more apps coming to Pre Plus. There's so many good apps available on Iphone and Android, they never get bored. Pre, yeah, we can multitask but I have no good apps to multitask with
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    the sad reality of this all is, hardware aside, if palm doesn't get the big name apps(and about 20-30k more), they will NEVER "catch up". It will stay a homebrew and tweaker's smartphone OS. call me a negative nancy but they have been lapped quite a few times already, just look at the numbers.
    yep. in the last 6 months there's pretty scant "big name apps." Engadget, wells fargo, facebook, fios the other day. That's it. I actually only have like 9 apps on my phone and three are homebrew only, one is facebook, twee free, and the rest are launch apps. I only know what comes out cause it's posted on the site but i don't visit the apps catalog anymore. but the app situation to me is even bigger then the hardware. because without a serious increase in the number of "big name" as you put it apps i probably wouldn't get another webos phone no matter what hardware it had.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Another potential problem Palm has is people stuck in contracts.

Evo and iPhone 4 contracts this year mean lots of locked in people.
    It's estimated that 500 million smartphones will be sold per year by 2014. I'm certain that HP is looking down the road a ways, and recognizing that while they're losing some potential customers today, this market has just gotten started.

And really, they just can't do anything about it until the acquisition is final at the end of July. I mean that literally: there's nothing they can do.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Don't really need to say anything, just watch the video: Pandora Working In The Background On iPhone 4. Awesome. [Video]
    damn did you see how fast that loaded. I just timed pandora loading on my Pre. took 10 seconds to fully load. That being said i don't really use pandora. but damn fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    +1

Exactly. Honestly, i can't even get the new Pre if it's releasing tomorrow because I am still under contract. I just want to know if there's more apps coming to Pre Plus. There's so many good apps available on Iphone and Android, they never get bored. Pre, yeah, we can multitask but I have no good apps to multitask with
    What apps don't exist that you'd like to see? Seriously, be specific. Mine are:

1. MS Office editing app
    2. Shazam
    3. B&N reader app (I have a nook)
    4. Audio recording app (I use zcorder, but I'm talking about official apps)

Off-hand, those are the only ones I'm missing. I can do everything else I want with the apps available in the catalog. Now, obviously, folks have different needs, and I'm sure there are a number of important apps missing for some people. But the app situation isn't that bleak and it will get better soon when Palm releases the update supporting hybrid SDK/PDK apps.

You might not have any good apps to multitask with, but I spend my entire day being highly productive doing just that. So, this is a very subjective complaint.

So, what are your missing apps? Perhaps I'm missing some...
    The two I need are shazam and the app that turns the phone into a sound meter...
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    What apps don't exist that you'd like to see? Seriously, be specific.
    just to name a few. NOT in order of importance:

ESPN, ESPN radio, CNN, CNBC, Photoshop, Beatmaker, Fidelity, Bank of America, My credit union which i won't name, redlaser, shazam, true visual voicemail, ebay, paypal, Tom Tom, sling box, Mint, skype, bbc, bbc radio, fox soccer channel, skysports, Time Warner Cable, docs2go, google navigation, etrade, cnbc, salesforce.com, nba.com, ESPN Fifa World Cup 2010, pretty much any piano and guitar app, an audio recorder that let you delete recordings, Yahoo Finance app.

the real problem is most companies are not developing apps for webos. independent developers may be but less mainstream companies.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 06/07/2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    So, what are your missing apps? Perhaps I'm missing some...
    hmmm i dont think i have all day to make this list but from little apps that eVERYONE else has like bank of america (for gods sake) to bigger ones like skype
    shazam
    all of the google apps, a better google maps would be nice
    better facebook app for sure
    spotify
    last.fm
    epicurious
    urban dictionary
    zillow
    comcast
    all recipes
    whole foods
    food network
    E!

im exhausted now...
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Good list. I'll add some missing apps from my phone. Mint, Quicken, Hipstamatic, BestCam, MLB, MouseWait, Street Fighter, Words/Chess With Friends, Facebook (a good one), RedBox, AngryBirds, A bunch of my banks, DropBox, Big Kitchen, StarGazer, AutoStitch, TweetDeck, Things, NetNewsWire, Flickr, TiltShiftGen, iComicViewer, CraigsPhone, NPR, Tumblr, WhatToExpect, Boxee Remote, iTunes Remote, AIRVIDEO, Epicurious, Twitter (official), 1Password... And coming soon Netflix, iMovie and hopefully Office
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/07/2010 at 11:26 PM.
    oh yeah! ditto on epicurious, food network, and spotify. So i can get my mad culinary skill on.
    I agree, that there's not enough large company support.

That being said, there's already apps that do the same stuff for a lot of the things you've listed.

I mean, I suspect you just haven't even tried to find some of them on the Pre. Just to name a few off the top of my head, there are iTunes Remotes, a Boxee remote, Youview for just as good visual voicemail as a "true visual voicemail" (whatever that means), What's For Dinner accesses Food Network and Epicurious recipes among many others, there's a Dropbox app, a ton of equivalent Twitter apps, a Tumblr app and so on and so forth.

But no, if you for some reason need it to be "Dropbox" instead of a Dropbox app that while third-party is still using official APIs, then I can see why you're annoyed.

Of course, yes, there are others on your list that the Pre doesn't do and there's no equivalent for, but it's not nearly as bad as your list would make it sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But no, if you for some reason need it to be "Dropbox" instead of a Dropbox app that while third-party is still using official APIs, then I can see why you're annoyed.
    Or maybe it has something to do with Dropify costing $2.99 and having a subset of the features in the free "Dropbox."
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts

Of course, yes, there are others on your list that the Pre doesn't do and there's no equivalent for, but it's not nearly as bad as your list would make it sound.
    What nappy said is right so roll your eyes at yourself. And also, how does App sharing among family members work with paid Pre apps?

My wife and I both have Pres and disabled iPhones. On iTunes then we're able to share single app purchases among multiple family iProducts (3 in our house) so if given a Pre vs iPhone choice I tend to go with the iPhone version and tether. It's usually a better app, a better price and is easier to use on a slab witha bigger screen.

And no, ANY app available on one platform but not another IS a big deal. These devices are supposed to simplify our lives and do the hoop jumping for us, not the other way around.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/07/2010 at 11:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's also ease of use. I'd be ok with android, but the people i'm calling? What good are features if the people i'm calling can't use them? The video chat, for example, is tap and go on the iphone. No chat accounts. No registering. No Qik or 3rd party. You tap the facetime icon. If i talked my parents into getting Evo's, they'd be lost. Same goes for my wife.

Heck, this is why the front camera on the laptop never gets used. My family and friends are idiots :P Can't use it if they don't. And they don't want to.

This is the difference between an iphone and the rest. Its simple stupid to use. Apps are polished. Everything is smooth & responsive. All the little things are thought out (well..almost all..notifications aren't). HD recording will actually look good (vs the Evo). iMovie to edit.

Apple is smart staying away from 8mp+ cameras because they realize its about getting a good picture, not how many mp it has. How refreshing to finally hear someone say more MP's means little.

That screen will be gorgeous with more packed pixels than we've ever seen in a smartphone.

Battery life? Processor? 32gbs to load apps on? The list goes on. Netflix, ibook app, etc. These aren't on the other platforms.

Plus, we techies can jailbreak and get our extras.

Seriously, how anyone can be on here not blown away by what Apple has coming out in a couple of weeks is simply beyond me. This isn't fan talk, this is coming from someone pretty open minded.
    I'm not blown away but this is definitely more impressive than the 3GS. I guess video chat isn't that interesting to me as a feature but I figured Apple would make it better integrated than HTC. Thats the difference in development between company that actually makes software and a company that is hardware only. They did a great job of that.

The screen will look great but its not quite as impressive when you think about the Sony Xperia X1. It was released in 2008 and has a resolution of 311 on a 3" screen.

The only thing that makes me really impressed me is the speed. That A4 chip really is great and this is probably where Apple has the advantage over everyone else. They make their own silicon and no one else does that or even has aspirations to do that. No one will be able to integrate hardware and software better than Apple because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's also ease of use. I'd be ok with android, but the people i'm calling? What good are features if the people i'm calling can't use them? The video chat, for example, is tap and go on the iphone. No chat accounts. No registering. No Qik or 3rd party. You tap the facetime icon. If i talked my parents into getting Evo's, they'd be lost. Same goes for my wife.

Heck, this is why the front camera on the laptop never gets used. My family and friends are idiots :P Can't use it if they don't. And they don't want to.

This is the difference between an iphone and the rest. Its simple stupid to use. Apps are polished. Everything is smooth & responsive. All the little things are thought out (well..almost all..notifications aren't). HD recording will actually look good (vs the Evo). iMovie to edit.

Apple is smart staying away from 8mp+ cameras because they realize its about getting a good picture, not how many mp it has. How refreshing to finally hear someone say more MP's means little.

That screen will be gorgeous with more packed pixels than we've ever seen in a smartphone.

Battery life? Processor? 32gbs to load apps on? The list goes on. Netflix, ibook app, etc. These aren't on the other platforms.

Plus, we techies can jailbreak and get our extras.

Seriously, how anyone can be on here not blown away by what Apple has coming out in a couple of weeks is simply beyond me. This isn't fan talk, this is coming from someone pretty open minded.
    I still haven't got sold enough on anything to cause me to jump and say; 'Now that's what I want!'

I know... I'm still using my treo pro - so who am I to talk?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Or maybe it has something to do with Dropify costing $2.99 and having a subset of the features in the free "Dropbox."
    Sorry, I concede that I used a poor example, as I don't use Dropbox and therefore wouldn't know the difference between the official app and Dropboxify anyway, but the general point wasn't supposed to be about that specific app. It's that a lot of the stuff that people say they need is already on the Pre, if you actually look for it.

Some people seem like they're complaining about things without bothering to look.
    The only thing that makes me really impressed me is the speed. That A4 chip really is great and this is probably where Apple has the advantage over everyone else. They make their own silicon and no one else does that or even has aspirations to do that. No one will be able to integrate hardware and software better than Apple because of this.
    I disagree entirely on this point. The A4 chip isn't all that different from the CortexA8, and the Snapdragon, and the myriad of other similar chips. Yes, it's a heavily optimized CPU and yes, it is currently the fastest variant.

However, the fact that Apple is making their own chips isn't necessarily that much of an advantage over the competition either, and when we start seeing Cortex A9 -based products by the end of the year, it seems most likely it'll be Apple falling behind in speed until their refresh (though obviously, I can't predict the future any more than anyone else).
    Are contracts really affecting smartphones users that much? I mean, by the sounds of this forum, people are changing phones more often than they're changing their underwear, contracts be damned.

I think that if the phone is impressive (which it almost has to be at this point), the diehards will switch. And as we saw with the Droid, it seems that's enough to drive the market for the general public later on when their contracts expire, even with more impressive hardware out competing with it... just look at the Droid sales vs the much more powerful Nexus One.
    This forum isn't mainstream. How many will really risk that high ETF just to move? Since they went over $300, things have changed. $175 people might swing but over $300?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!