Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 319
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post


    i did some photoshoping to so the Pre lines up next to the others EVO & Iphone. Omitted nokia cause i'm not interested in it. Windows either for that matter but i got lazy. anyways i'm posting it for those interested in how the specs lineup.
  2. #222  
    Have you guys watched the video yet? It's simply amazing: Apple - iPhone 4 - Design of the display, A4 processor, and more
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post


    i did some photoshoping to so the Pre lines up next to the others EVO & Iphone. Omitted nokia cause i'm not interested in it. Windows either for that matter but i got lazy. anyways i'm posting it for those interested in how the specs lineup.
    In fairness, yesterday the top model iPhone would've looked ridiculous in that chart as well.

    While the Pre Plus is currently the top model by Palm, it's 6 months old now, which makes it an unfair comparison. I'm not saying it's not the comparison people will make, because of course it is, and Palm definitely looks bad in that comparison.

    At the same time, it's not like Palm has just been sitting on their laurels either. No, they haven't announced a new device to be displayed in that chart yet, but that doesn't mean that one's not coming. Do you really think for one second that the only thing all of the hardware engineers have been working on for the past year has been the Plus versions and a version with a GSM radio?

    Unfortunately, Palm is still an independent company, and with their precarious financial situation until the HP deal is finalized, we might have to wait longer than we'd like for a new device. But to say they're not working on something is ridiculous.

    If you need something new now, or if you buy a phone just to brag to your friends, then by all means... get the iPhone, or the EVO 4G, or whatever new phone is hot at the moment. If you're happy with webOS and can tolerate a little bit older hardware until we know something definitive (like many of us here actually can), then I suspect we'll know more by the end of the summer.
  4. #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    To be fair, NOW since HP has bought them out, they have a better position to put out quality hardware with quality specs. Instead of cutting corners and hoping, like the first Pre. The real problem is they probably should have been bought out way earlier. Now it's all catch up again for them.
    That's absolutely true: it is catch up again for Palm. The only difference is--and this is a doozy--it's not catch up being played by a company with one foot in the proverbial grave. It's catch up being played by the largest technology company on the planet.

    Like I said in another post, nothing's guaranteed, but I like their chances now a bit more than I did before.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    i have no need to be defensive, i have no plans of going to expensive ***** att...i just like calling people out on their blatant hypocrisy. if a new palm phone came out tomorrow u would be all over it. the pre would magically stop meeting your needs im sure LOL.
    That's such a silly argument. Here, I'll say it again, very clearly: it's not that the Pre is worth holding onto, it's that webOS is worth holding onto. When a new webOS smartphone comes out, sure, I'll be the first to buy it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You have to admit that Apple has some pretty incredible manufacturing operations to be able to do a multi-country launch before the end of the month.
    I'm sure they've been being manufactured for weeks now, as we've seen leaks (not the original leak, but subsequently) from the factories. And yes, Apple does have a large enough scale that it doesn't take them nearly as long to make devices as it made Palm.

    That's also one of the key things that HP is bringing to the tablet for Palm though, so hopefully that'll help a lot.
  7. #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's interesting that the iPhone 4 will be available on June 24 giving new EVO owners plenty of time to return their new Android phones. You have to admit that Apple has some pretty incredible manufacturing operations to be able to do a multi-country launch before the end of the month.
    Yes, they do. Apple has built quite the machine.

    Of course, HP sold 16 million PCs last quarter, in 170 countries (compared to Apple's 3 million). They also sold more servers (by dollar volume) than anyone else (including IBM, the previous leader), and billions of dollars in network infrastructure (including selling telecom equipment to 8 out of the top 10 carriers in the world).

    That's not to slight Apple at all--again, they've done some impressive things. However, they're not the only company with some serious manufacturing chops.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That's absolutely true: it is catch up again for Palm. The only difference is--and this is a doozy--it's not catch up being played by a company with one foot in the proverbial grave. It's catch up being played by the largest technology company on the planet.

    Like I said in another post, nothing's guaranteed, but I like their chances now a bit more than I did before.
    Agreed. I'm excited for the future of webOS. They've already successfully pulled off the U-turn, now it's time to hit the gas.
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    While the Pre Plus is currently the top model by Palm, it's 6 months old now, which makes it an unfair comparison.
    that's business. they sit next to each other in a store. that's the comparison any consumer will do. seems 100% fair to me. If Ford fails to realease 2011 model cars in a timely fashion they can't complain when people compare every other manufacturer's 2011 model to ford's outdated 2010. That's business. That's fair.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    but that doesn't mean that one's not coming.
    until they leak, announce, or release something i don't think it matters to the majority potential consumers.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But to say they're not working on something is ridiculous.
    I DID NOT say that. I just posted a picture of a chart.
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    that's business. they sit next to each other in a store. that's the comparison any consumer will do. seems 100% fair to me. If Ford fails to realease 2011 model cars in a timely fashion they can't complain when people compare every other manufacturer's 2011 model to ford's outdated 2010. That's business. That's fair.


    until they leak, announce, or release something i don't think it matters to the majority potential consumers.


    I DID NOT say that. I just posted a picture of a chart.
    I'm sorry you thought my comments were directed specifically at you, but they weren't.

    For that matter, I specifically said that yes, that is the comparison everyone will make.

    Hopefully when (wishful thinking alert) Palm brings out an OMAP4 or Tegra2 based phone at the end of the year, people will still make that same sort of comparison.
  11. #231  
    Remember what HP CEO said? and day after they changed it to saying we are still on smartphone. Some reason I believe the first one. I think HP bought IP from Palm. I really don't think they are really serious about smartphone business. But we'll see in the future. Longer they wait, there's going to be more gap.

    One good thing is, despite lack of satisfaction from currently or ex pre owner, only about little more than 60% pre owner keeps their phone, nobody really knows how crappy Palm Pre was. Pre only was able to kept 3% marketshare. So currently crappy Pre didn't do much damage on the WebOS image. If HP really wants to fight this out, they better get the good QA team this time to monitor the quality of the phone before they release.
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Remember what HP CEO said? and day after they changed it to saying we are still on smartphone. Some reason I believe the first one. I think HP bought IP from Palm. I really don't think they are really serious about smartphone business. But we'll see in the future.
    This again? Really? The only thing the HP CEO did wrong is poorly word his statement.

    Other than that, it was taken out of context and blown way out of proportion. He didn't change the gist of his statement at all, but instead clarified the wording. They've consistently been giving the same sentiment all along. webOS smartphones are only one piece of the puzzle. That being said, one piece of the puzzle at HP gives them more resources than being the entire focus at Palm, so I'm not too worried about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Longer they wait, there's going to be more gap.
    There's also going to be actual revolutionary hardware around the corner in the form of the CortexA9 multicore chip in the aforementioned OMAP4/Tegra2, so there's also the potential to leap that gap very easily.



    ... But of course, that's pure speculation. As I mentioned in a previous post, if you need the latest and greatest hardware right away, then pick up the iPhone 4 or Evo 4G or whatever comes out between now and June 24 or whatever.

    But if you can wait a little longer for newer hardware, or if webOS is good enough for you that you can tolerate older hardware, it probably makes a lot more sense to wait.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/07/2010 at 09:56 PM.
  13. #233  
    Another potential problem Palm has is people stuck in contracts.

    Evo and iPhone 4 contracts this year mean lots of locked in people.

    Verizon Pre Plus(or any other Verizon smartphone for that matter) has a high ETF. Assuming Palm once again starts out on Sprint, that bites for anyone wanting to move from Verizon. Although they could wait until Palm gets around to Verizon.

    AT&T went "Verizon" and raised the ETF(although I really hope both get bslapped by the FCC for this). Another bite.

    Even on the Sprint Evo, if people want the hot new Palm phone, they will fork out full price on Sprint since they already signed a subsidzed Evo contract.

    Even if Palm releases a new phone this year, they may still be a little late again. Palm needed to get people locked into contracts with a truly hot phone first before all these other vendors. They're late out of the gate this year, if they release anything at all that is.

    Last year, it was release with no press right next to a hotly anticipated phone. This year, people may already be locked in before Palm gets anything new out. They really need to look at their timing, seriously.

    But they could be first for 2011 anticipated phones, if they do it right.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #234  
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm sorry you thought my comments were directed specifically at you, but they weren't.

    For that matter, I specifically said that yes, that is the comparison everyone will make.

    Hopefully when (wishful thinking alert) Palm brings out an OMAP4 or Tegra2 based phone at the end of the year, people will still make that same sort of comparison.
    ok. no problem.
    I assumed it was directed at me since you responded to my post and said, "Do you really think for one second that" & "If you need..." I just thought it was directed at me.

    i saw that you said that people will do it. It's not that it will be made. i just disagree with the sentiment that it is not fair. I think it's fair.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Another potential problem Palm has is people stuck in contracts.

    Evo and iPhone 4 contracts this year mean lots of locked in people.

    Verizon Pre Plus(or any other Verizon smartphone for that matter) has a high ETF. Assuming Palm once again starts out on Sprint, that bites for anyone wanting to move from Verizon. Although they could wait until Palm gets around to Verizon.

    AT&T went "Verizon" and raised the ETF(although I really hope both get bslapped by the FCC for this). Another bite.

    Even on the Sprint Evo, if people want the hot new Palm phone, they will fork out full price on Sprint since they already signed a subsidzed Evo contract.

    Even if Palm releases a new phone this year, they may still be a little late again. Palm needed to get people locked into contracts with a truly hot phone first before all these other vendors. They're late out of the gate this year, if they release anything at all that is.

    Last year, it was release with no press right next to a hotly anticipated phone. This year, people may already be locked in before Palm gets anything new out. They really need to look at their timing, seriously.

    But they could be first for 2011 anticipated phones, if they do it right.
    Are contracts really affecting smartphones users that much? I mean, by the sounds of this forum, people are changing phones more often than they're changing their underwear, contracts be damned.

    I think that if the phone is impressive (which it almost has to be at this point), the diehards will switch. And as we saw with the Droid, it seems that's enough to drive the market for the general public later on when their contracts expire, even with more impressive hardware out competing with it... just look at the Droid sales vs the much more powerful Nexus One.
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That's absolutely true: it is catch up again for Palm. The only difference is--and this is a doozy--it's not catch up being played by a company with one foot in the proverbial grave. It's catch up being played by the largest technology company on the planet.

    Like I said in another post, nothing's guaranteed, but I like their chances now a bit more than I did before.
    I don't think they have much catch up to do. I doubt their development is just as far as 1.4.5 on webOS. I'm sure they have been working on features of 2.0 for quite awhile. As far as hardware goes, its not like HTC, Motorla, or Samsung are putting out specs that HP can't easily match or exceed. Apple is a little different since they they are not just a software company but design the hardware down to the chip which helps optimize all their products. HP will be more like Apple in their development of phone than HTC which just seems to keep cramming as much high spec hardware in a variety of models so they can basically release the same phone on a bunch of carriers.

    I don't think HP will be flooding the market with various webOS units of different specs and designs. I could even see them just doing one crazy phone that will integrate with a world of webOS printers, tablets, netbooks, scanners, monitors, or any other device that they could partner with other companies to produce.

    Lets be honest, the only real difference between the phones we have seen lately and what Palm released a year ago are faster processors(which are already looking dated with what will be on the market in the fall), higher res cameras and video(the Pre's current chip can handle shooting HD video), and front facing cameras. In a way I have to grudgingly agree with what Mark Hurd said when he said smartphones aren't that hard to build. When you build a variety of computers, laptops, servers, and high end printers, I doubt smartphones seem to be that daunting of a task. I don't see it being much of a challenge for HP to make an impressively spec'd phone. The question will be whether it will reflect the passion of Palm or will it just be another phone of the month which is how the HTC phones feel to me sometimes.
  18. #238  
    the sad reality of this all is, hardware aside, if palm doesn't get the big name apps(and about 20-30k more), they will NEVER "catch up". It will stay a homebrew and tweaker's smartphone OS. call me a negative nancy but they have been lapped quite a few times already, just look at the numbers.
  19. #239  
    It's also ease of use. I'd be ok with android, but the people i'm calling? What good are features if the people i'm calling can't use them? The video chat, for example, is tap and go on the iphone. No chat accounts. No registering. No Qik or 3rd party. You tap the facetime icon. If i talked my parents into getting Evo's, they'd be lost. Same goes for my wife.

    Heck, this is why the front camera on the laptop never gets used. My family and friends are idiots :P Can't use it if they don't. And they don't want to.

    This is the difference between an iphone and the rest. Its simple stupid to use. Apps are polished. Everything is smooth & responsive. All the little things are thought out (well..almost all..notifications aren't). HD recording will actually look good (vs the Evo). iMovie to edit.

    Apple is smart staying away from 8mp+ cameras because they realize its about getting a good picture, not how many mp it has. How refreshing to finally hear someone say more MP's means little.

    That screen will be gorgeous with more packed pixels than we've ever seen in a smartphone.

    Battery life? Processor? 32gbs to load apps on? The list goes on. Netflix, ibook app, etc. These aren't on the other platforms.

    Plus, we techies can jailbreak and get our extras.

    Seriously, how anyone can be on here not blown away by what Apple has coming out in a couple of weeks is simply beyond me. This isn't fan talk, this is coming from someone pretty open minded.
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    the sad reality of this all is, hardware aside, if palm doesn't get the big name apps(and about 20-30k more), they will NEVER "catch up". It will stay a homebrew and tweaker's smartphone OS. call me a negative nancy but they have been lapped quite a few times already, just look at the numbers.
    I agree with this. HP has to put as much muscle as they can into attracting developers or webOS will end up being a billion dollar operating system for their printers and nothing else. Who would want a webOS tablet if all you can do is browse the internet, play a few games, and use a stopwatch app(no offense stopwatch developers)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions