Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
    I guess I will weigh in.

I think the new iPhone is just full of Meh.

I think the screen will be gorgeous, but it should be bigger. Nothing they announced was really special in my mind except iMovie. That could be cool, but anyone who is really going to do a lot of video splicing is going to do it on their computer. But I guess Apple is setting it up for the iPad.

Spec wise I think the iPhone is slightly behind the Evo and Galaxy S. However, I think it really comes down to preference when choosing between these phones. The big news though is, the iPhone is longer the clear hardware leader, Android has caught up. Now it is WebOS's turn.

I did dig the fact that the iPhone 4 crashed on stage. I wonder who is gonna get fired over that?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I guess I will weigh in.

I think the new iPhone is just full of Meh.

I think the screen will be gorgeous, but it should be bigger. Nothing they announced was really special in my mind except iMovie. That could be cool, but anyone who is really going to do a lot of video splicing is going to do it on their computer. But I guess Apple is setting it up for the iPad.

Spec wise I think the iPhone is slightly behind the Evo and Galaxy S. However, I think it really comes down to preference when choosing between these phones. The big news though is, the iPhone is longer the clear hardware leader, Android has caught up. Now it is WebOS's turn.

I did dig the fact that the iPhone 4 crashed on stage. I wonder who is gonna get fired over that?
    Where do you get that? If those battery life times are close to real, then that A4 is a VERY good chip....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Where do you get that? If those battery life times are close to real, then that A4 is a VERY good chip....
    The battery life of the iPhone isn't significantly different from other devices that are out there.

iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget

And standby time are grossly over estimated. IIRC the Pre Plus is supposed to have a 300hr standby time too.

Again, it seems to come down to preference. Also, real world testing is more valuable than what any company that is trying to sell you something says.

The A4 is actually much more similar to the Cortex A8 based stuff than Apple would have you believe. Sure it's faster, and sure it's more efficient, but not drastically so. The reason that the iPad has such crazy battery life is that it's an ARM CPU, not just because the A4 is magic.

Similarly, the A4 will help the iPhone 4 a bit in that area, but most of the improvement is going to be because of a larger battery.

The biggest battery drains in a smartphone are all of the radios in it. That's part of the reason why many people are getting the same battery life on the Pre no matter WHAT clock speed they're set to. The CPU's effects on the battery life are much more minimal.
    Not to mention that I can drop in a 1750mAh battery into the Evo or other smart phones. Or even battery swap.

Alright, so the Iphone 4 came out today.

Woop-dee-doo... We knew it was coming. I mean the dang thing was out in the blog-o-sphere before they had even announced it. But now its out and all I can say is that the videos that they have for its launch make me CRAZY in waiting for then next palm phone.

Remember the Nexus One videos that slowly but surely leaked their way onto youtube? Those silly videos with the phone being stress tested and button pressed? I would LOVE some of those silly videos to come out for the new Palm phone that I HOPE is out there somewhere.

In this economy, Im talking to you HP-PALM (or should I just say HPALM), consumers don't need to wait for your next phone to get something that can stack up.

Personally I WANT to wait for your next product but without news I fear that the other consumers in the market wont be so forgiving. The Palm Pre came out a little more than a year ago. It has an amazing OS and hardware I can live with (everyone has their own stories about returns) but I, and most consumers, want MORE!

The Iphone 4 isn't the top of the heap as it comes out this time. Android phones are right up there with it and even pass it in terms of hardware. In order to grab a share in the smart phone market HPALM needs only to put out a device that matches these others on Hardware specifications and then let the amazing WebOS pull the consumers in.

Im well aware that Palm has a marketing strategy for its smartphones but if they dont move it up soon they're going to lose a lot of customers to lesser OS's with better hardware.

I believe in Palm. I went through a hellish time deciding whether to go Palm or Android with my first smart phone and ultimately I think I made the RIGHT choice. I just have to trust in Palm and the GREAT Rubinstein to release a phone soon that us SPRINT Palm owners can be proud of!

-D
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    The battery life of the iPhone isn't significantly different from other devices that are out there.

iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget
    7 hours talk time vs. 6 or 5.5 is a significant difference, in my opinion. I'm a Pre zealot, but come on, the new iPhone is an amazing piece of hardware, and we'd all lose control of our bowels if Palm came out tomorrow and announced a new device with these kinds of specs.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    for what's it's worth, I love palm, I marvel at webOS, and my entire family is on verizon and we all have GREAT TELEPHONE service. After all, all these devices are telephones when you come down to the basics, and I dare you to find a phone not on VZW that can match the pre plus. Not the evo, not the iphone.

when you start adding all the bells and whistles, then of course palm's webOS phones look somewhat behind the times. Iphone. Droid. Evo. Whatever, they all look great. But besides document editing,which I actually can use on classic if I wanted to, what can those phones do that my pre plus can't?
    facechat? Do I really want other people to see me as I talk to them? Maybe some do but not me. Video editing? On a 3.5 or 4.3 inch screen??? Lets see how long the battery life lasts then, guarantee you it won't be 4 hours.

look. Apple has a diamond mine. Android and RIM are gold and bronze. Palm/HP will NEVER reach apple's level,, but they can reach RIM and certainly match microsoft when they are ready. Regardless, people have to ask what works for them...and it's the pre plus for me, right now. What's the point of tryin to keep up with the latest and greatest? Want the iphone or evo or droid that bad? Go get it, no ones gonna stop you. Good decision. Right now
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    7 hours talk time vs. 6 or 5.5 is a significant difference, in my opinion. I'm a Pre zealot, but come on, the new iPhone is an amazing piece of hardware, and we'd all lose control of our bowels if Palm came out tomorrow and announced a new device with these kinds of specs.
    I am not saying it isn't great, the new iPhone is a solid phone. I am saying it isn't the greatest piece of hardware on the planet. Comparing it to the Evo I don't see a clear advantage one way or the other. Do you?

If battery life is such a big deal, remember that I can get an expanded battery for the Evo and I can do battery swaps. So, no the battery life doesn't significantly impress me.

The Pre is 18 month old hardware, all of the new devices are going to blow it out of the water.

I love the Palm Pre, I use my phone constantly and am pleased with the performance. That said, I am seriously disappointed with the pace of 3rd party adoption and development.

Just a few things I have been pining for:

1. Netflix App (that actually lets you view movies, this will be available for iPhone soon.)
    2. Slacker radio caching (Caching is available on BB, Android, and iPhone)
    3. Document editing/improved document viewer.
    What will hit first?
    Next WebOS phone or Windows Phone7 (December?)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    for what's it's worth, I love palm, I marvel at webOS, and my entire family is on verizon and we all have GREAT TELEPHONE service. After all, all these devices are telephones when you come down to the basics, and I dare you to find a phone not on VZW that can match the pre plus. Not the evo, not the iphone.
    Droid Incredible?

when you start adding all the bells and whistles, then of course palm's webOS phones look somewhat behind the times. Iphone. Droid. Evo. Whatever, they all look great. But besides document editing,which I actually can use on classic if I wanted to, what can those phones do that my pre plus can't?
    facechat? Do I really want other people to see me as I talk to them? Maybe some do but not me. Video editing? On a 3.5 or 4.3 inch screen??? Lets see how long the battery life lasts then, guarantee you it won't be 4 hours.
    I look forward to the next 10 years when I will be able to have my parents video chat with their future grand-kids. I also look forward to video chatting with my gf when I am stuck in the hospital all night. Sometimes you want to share your face with your loved ones.

But yea, intense video edition on a phone is a little dumb imo. However, I believe this is more of a setup for iPad 2.

look. Apple has a diamond mine. Android and RIM are gold and bronze. Palm/HP will NEVER reach apple's level,, but they can reach RIM and certainly match microsoft when they are ready. Regardless, people have to ask what works for them...and it's the pre plus for me, right now. What's the point of tryin to keep up with the latest and greatest? Want the iphone or evo or droid that bad? Go get it, no ones gonna stop you. Good decision. Right now
    Apple was about to go bankrupt back in the late 90's, early 2000's and now they are one of the most valuable companies in the world. To say that Palm/HP can't reach that level would be myopic. Remember how large HP is. The Evo sold somewhere between 200,000-400,000 on day one. Why? Because it gave people what they wanted, a ton of hardware, a solid os and apps. Pre did poorly because it had none of those things. When and if the Pre 2 launches if Palm/HP give it nice hardware and build quality, tune up WebOS people will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    What will hit first?
    Next WebOS phone or Windows Phone7 (December?)
    I honestly think it will be WP7. Hopefully there will be some info out of Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The A4 is actually much more similar to the Cortex A8 based stuff than Apple would have you believe. Sure it's faster, and sure it's more efficient, but not drastically so. The reason that the iPad has such crazy battery life is that it's an ARM CPU, not just because the A4 is magic.
    The iPad also has 2 batteries under the hood. I'm sure that helps.

As for iOS 4, pages of nothing but icons and their answer to multitasking is more icons? No thank you. I really dig their product design, and making (at least part of) the body functional as both structure and antenna was brilliant. But their software engineers aren't even trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    To be clear: yes, I know that the Pre has been superceded by more recent devices. Obviously. Now, understand: it still works great for me. Kind of like my 2009 G37 works great for me even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles on the 2010 G37. Or the 2010 BMW 335i. Or whatever new models have been introduced. That's entirely to be expected.
    The Pre was super seeded the a few days after it came out by the 3gs. Everything they designed for was for the generation before. And we were told "Oh no, 8 gig is fine no need for more." What a crock that was. Palm knew they blew it and never fessed up to it. We now have a product that was designed 2 years ago. Not only were we left behind, we are going in reverse to.

ANNONCE NOW THAT THE PRE2 WILL BE OUT BY AUGUST! If they do that they might just keep some people form jumping to the EVO en mass.

All I hear are crickets. SAD SOO BLOODY SAD.
    The main 2 things i like about the iphone are:

1. glass screen, and back, so it's scratch resistent..

2. the screen has the amount of pixels per inch needed so you can't see them..

I hope palm goes with the same resolution, (would make porting games easy). I really hope they include the sixaxis technology. (it's what's used in wii motion plus, and playstation move). And i really hope they go with a dual core cpu.. But for some reason i doubt they will do more than 1 of those, which is why i'm probably going to wait for the next phone by palm/hp...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHui623 View Post
    The iPad also has 2 batteries under the hood. I'm sure that helps.

As for iOS 4, pages of nothing but icons and their answer to multitasking is more icons? No thank you. I really dig their product design, and making (at least part of) the body functional as both structure and antenna was brilliant. But their software engineers aren't even trying.
    And Palm software engineers are trying? Come on, I know you like Pre Plus. but Iphone 4 is much better than Pre Plus. Best thing about Pre Plus is the multitasking, but multitasking with what apps? There's not much to run on, and even if I do, you get too many card error message or it just slow down the machine.
    Yes Apple has apps. How many of those are tip calculators? Weather apps? Quote apps? If you think Palm's app catalog is full of crap Apple is worse. There's such a thing as too many apps and Apple crossed that long ago.
    And with what they're working with, Palm seems to be working harder than Apple. They're continually pushing out new updates to the OS.
    To be fair, NOW since HP has bought them out, they have a better position to put out quality hardware with quality specs. Instead of cutting corners and hoping, like the first Pre. The real problem is they probably should have been bought out way earlier. Now it's all catch up again for them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    of course iphone is better than pre plus, if it's all about the latest and greatest. But it's not on vzw, and it doesn't have a keyboard or a replaceable battery or real multitasking like I've come to see on webos, or the homebrew community. These are important things for me and the pre plus nails it.

droid incredible is a great vzw phone,
    but better than pre plus? Really that much better? Then why would I choose
    a palm phone over android anyday? Because I like palm. For all those that like android, great for you.

someday iphone will be on vzw, along with the Droid Qmonth, blackberry devices, and "windows phone 7 series.

as long some new palm phone is there, guess what I'm choosing?

WebOS.