Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Guys,
    I just visited the nearest Sprint store out of curiosity on the HTC EVO and my experience with these Sprint Reps was horrible.

    First of all, they all were talking down on Palm Pre (Which kinda bothered me because this was the phone which brought them back into the game of smartphone) and the guys was telling me how HP is going to kill the smartphones and crap. (I was like,.. dude I know more than you because I have been following HP+Palm news for almost over 6 months).

    Anyways, I tried the phone and was really not impressed with it. So what if it has bigger screen and better hardware, have you tried playing youtube video on it? I guess Pre plays the youtube video in better quality than HTV EVO.

    The battery life for the phone is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Infact the sales guy was telling me the same thing.

    User interface for any smartphone is not even comparable to webOS. YOU CAN NOT BEAT webOS UI EVER.

    So overall, I am not going to switch to any other platform... Thats the end of the story.
  2. #2  
    The PRE was not the phone that borught them to the smartphone game. it was a failure up there with the Instinct. Sprint was selling smartphones long before the Pre.

    Your lucky they even had a Pre. I went to a sprint store to get a case this weekend and they did not even carry the PRE anymore.

    As for battery life . No phone I have ever used has as bad a battery life as the Pre. Thats not even a question. I had the Seidio 1500 battery for the Pre and the stock 1500 on the EVO is lasting me alot lonegr then my Pre ever did. Battery life on the EVO is awesome as long as you dont use 4G. 4G will suck the life out of the battery. 4G was meant to be turned on when you need it and off otherwise.

    Now as for the OS. Absolutley WEB OS is asweome. But ya know BETA was way better then VHS and look at how that turned out. Doesnt matter how go a UI is if no one uses it.
  3. #3  
    These threads are hilarious.

    However many months from now when Pre and Pre Plus phones are formally EOLed and carriers are giving them away with the purchase of a bluetooth headset, people will still be complaining in this forum:

    "Guys, I went to my Sprint Store today...you know, just out of curioisity...and these reps had the nerve to try and sell people on the newest Android/Windows Phone 7/whatever phone instead of showing their loyalty to Palm and selling people on the Pre. How dare they? Well, I'm not leaving! Ever! No, no, no, no, no....."

    Good thing Palm was loyal enough to Sprint to stick them with the crappiest versions of the Pre and Pixi in return for being the best seller of WebOS devices.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post

    The battery life for the phone is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Infact the sales guy was telling me the same thing.
    Battery life on the Evo, for me at least, is a bit better than with my Pre.
  5. #5  
    Pre owner complainting about EVO's battery life, this has to be joke, right? Pre and Pre Plus is absolutely worst in battery life compare to any other device on the market. OMG, our community guideline to save our battery life is to TURN OFF OUR DATA. We have to make our Pre to the dumbphone to make our battery life last to use all day. So sad.
  6. #6  
    god forbid sprint is trying to make money like the corporation it is.. the sprint pre is over...just wait for the new phone
  7. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #7  
    Well given the fact that its 1 year later and the Pre isn't a contender, feature wise, with the field of phones out in the last few months you can't really complain that Sprint have moved on. I'm eagerly awaiting a new HPalm phone but we better get some indication soon of when that may be otherwise I'll have no choice but give up the best UI (WebOS) for the best features (HTC).
  8. #8  
    The fact that Sprint is not selling the Pre+ suggests to me that they are no longer interested in selling WebOS devices.
  9. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The fact that Sprint is not selling the Pre+ suggests to me that they are no longer interested in selling WebOS devices.
    That certainly could be the case. I'm a little more optimistic - if a new device was arrived sometime in say two - three months, why would Sprint bother stocking a device that is, with the exception of memory and storage of course, identical to the Pre?

    I'm of the view Sprint just don't want to bother risking carrying inventory that won't sell for very long before becoming 100% obsolete. I could be wrong, but I could be right too
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    The PRE was not the phone that borught them to the smartphone game. it was a failure up there with the Instinct. Sprint was selling smartphones long before the Pre.

    Your lucky they even had a Pre. I went to a sprint store to get a case this weekend and they did not even carry the PRE anymore.

    As for battery life . No phone I have ever used has as bad a battery life as the Pre. Thats not even a question. I had the Seidio 1500 battery for the Pre and the stock 1500 on the EVO is lasting me alot lonegr then my Pre ever did. Battery life on the EVO is awesome as long as you dont use 4G. 4G will suck the life out of the battery. 4G was meant to be turned on when you need it and off otherwise.

    Now as for the OS. Absolutley WEB OS is asweome. But ya know BETA was way better then VHS and look at how that turned out. Doesnt matter how go a UI is if no one uses it.
    I don't get.. They advertise a phone talking about 4g experience,and then you can't use it whenever you want. So what the hell is it for?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The fact that Sprint is not selling the Pre+ suggests to me that they are no longer interested in selling WebOS devices.
    That doesn't quite make sense... Just because a car dealership stops selling a particular model, it doesn't mean they are not going to sell that brand. Models come and go. The Pre is a year old now, and time for a new device to take it's place (which has even been hinted at by Ruby and Palm). Stores don't want to have older inventory when the new comes in. Look at BestBuy... just because they stop selling a particular model of speaker and let the inventory run out for a few weeks doesn't mean they quit selling that brand of speaker. They are making room for the new SKU's within the inventory system and not getting stuck with old inventory.

    Palm still has a great relationship with Sprint and I wouldn't doubt if we see a new device announced in a couple months.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Palm still has a great relationship with Sprint and I wouldn't doubt if we see a new device announced in a couple months.
    I would be very surprised to see a new phone launched in the next couple of months for two reasons.

    1) The HP takeover doesn't go through until the end of July.
    2) There are no credible rumors of a new phone.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Guys,
    I just visited the nearest Sprint store out of curiosity on the HTC EVO and my experience with these Sprint Reps was horrible.

    First of all, they all were talking down on Palm Pre (Which kinda bothered me because this was the phone which brought them back into the game of smartphone) and the guys was telling me how HP is going to kill the smartphones and crap. (I was like,.. dude I know more than you because I have been following HP+Palm news for almost over 6 months).

    Anyways, I tried the phone and was really not impressed with it. So what if it has bigger screen and better hardware, have you tried playing youtube video on it? I guess Pre plays the youtube video in better quality than HTV EVO.

    The battery life for the phone is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Infact the sales guy was telling me the same thing.

    User interface for any smartphone is not even comparable to webOS. YOU CAN NOT BEAT webOS UI EVER.

    So overall, I am not going to switch to any other platform... Thats the end of the story.
    I appreciate your passion, but Sprint has no reason whatsoever to keep selling the Pre. They got the first and worst run of hardware and it's not even as well equipped as the versions available elsewhere. They are getting beat on price by Verizon and doubtless Sprint is making much more money by sell the Evo. Their CEO would be executed by the shareholders if he took away inventory space selling the Pre over more popular and profitable products.

    I'm a long time Palm user, and want to see them do well. But now that the Android and Apple products have hit, it is time for Palm/HP to "bust a move". If they don't come strong with their next offering - and soon, there can be no more excuses for them.
  14. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I would be very surprised to see a new phone launched in the next couple of months for two reasons.

    1) The HP takeover doesn't go through until the end of July.
    2) There are no credible rumors of a new phone.
    I can understand point 2 as it could indeed be the case. However keeping a secret well could also explain it.

    However in regards to point 1, I pretty much disagree completely. Palm haven't been sitting around doing nothing waiting for the HP deal to close. In keeping with their fiduciary responsibilities, Palm have to continue operating their business as usual until a transaction with HP is closed. And while there can be plenty of criticism lobbed Palm's way for decisions made in the past 12-18 months, I very seriously, 99.999999%, highly doubt they have had no plans to release a next gen device and have not been working on one that past year or so.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I can understand point 2 as it could indeed be the case. However keeping a secret well could also explain it.

    However in regards to point 1, I pretty much disagree completely. Palm haven't been sitting around doing nothing waiting for the HP deal to close. In keeping with their fiduciary responsibilities, Palm have to continue operating their business as usual until a transaction with HP is closed. And while there can be plenty of criticism lobbed Palm's way for decisions made in the past 12-18 months, I very seriously, 99.999999%, highly doubt they have had no plans to release a next gen device and have not been working on one that past year or so.
    Assuming they have such a device waiting in the wings, I suspect they lack the cash to launch it. Why wouldn't they wait until Uncle Money Bags shows up?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Pre owner complainting about EVO's battery life, this has to be joke, right? Pre and Pre Plus is absolutely worst in battery life compare to any other device on the market. OMG, our community guideline to save our battery life is to TURN OFF OUR DATA. We have to make our Pre to the dumbphone to make our battery life last to use all day. So sad.
    Ah-ha-ha-ha...LMAO!

    SURELY *YOU* Jest with that (most asinine) statement. From HTC Own site...

    Quote Originally Posted by HTC
    How do I optimize the battery power? close
    Battery performance depends on many factors, including network configuration, signal strength, the temperature of the environment in which you operate your phone, the features and/or settings you select and use, items attached to connecting ports, and your voice, data, and other program usage patterns. To increase battery performance you can turn off 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, Mobile network, Wi-Fi, notifications and other options that you may not frequently use. You can also decrease the screen brightness or the screen timeout time.
    HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC EVO™ 4G (Sprint) - Power and Battery

    Yep, that "paper weight" mod gets AWESOME battery life on the EVO..
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    That certainly could be the case. I'm a little more optimistic - if a new device was arrived sometime in say two - three months, why would Sprint bother stocking a device that is, with the exception of memory and storage of course, identical to the Pre?

    I'm of the view Sprint just don't want to bother risking carrying inventory that won't sell for very long before becoming 100% obsolete. I could be wrong, but I could be right too
    ehh you could say the same about blackberries. they are all the same. the entire brand lacks innovation where its needed. but everybody loves them, and carriers sell different models even though they're all basically the same.
  18. #18  
    I don't blame Sprint Pre is a year old product riddled with hardware issues when it first launched on Sprint why would you keep on promoting an year old product? is beyond me.....in the end it's business not a charity.
  19. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Assuming they have such a device waiting in the wings, I suspect they lack the cash to launch it. Why wouldn't they wait until Uncle Money Bags shows up?
    "Uncle Moneybags" Like it - good description Keep in mind though that Palm still had ~$300 million in the bank at the end of the last quarter. Not enough to keep it going long term but certainly enough to last the rest of the year. If the HP deal doesn't go through Palm are pretty much done so the budget for the year likely includes all $300mm.

    Anyway to your point, I think its because the next device isn't quite finished yet. Even if it was "finished" just not ready to be launched due to cash reasons, HP would likely have seen it in due diligence for the acquisition. In which case I can definitely see HP asking to make a few tweaks here and there but nothing too drastic simply because if its essentially finished, the OEM manufacturer for Palm would have probably made/ordered the molds for the new device already along with the parts needed for the internals.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Guys,
    I just visited the nearest Sprint store out of curiosity on the HTC EVO and my experience with these Sprint Reps was horrible.

    First of all, they all were talking down on Palm Pre (Which kinda bothered me because this was the phone which brought them back into the game of smartphone) and the guys was telling me how HP is going to kill the smartphones and crap. (I was like,.. dude I know more than you because I have been following HP+Palm news for almost over 6 months).

    Anyways, I tried the phone and was really not impressed with it. So what if it has bigger screen and better hardware, have you tried playing youtube video on it? I guess Pre plays the youtube video in better quality than HTV EVO.
    Um, it plays fine for me, not sure what you saw.

    The battery life for the phone is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Infact the sales guy was telling me the same thing.
    On moderate use I am at 55% right now. I have had the phone off of the charger since 10:30 this morning. Compared to the Pre that is pretty good.

    User interface for any smartphone is not even comparable to webOS. YOU CAN NOT BEAT webOS UI EVER.
    I can compare Android to WebOS easy. There are parts of Android that I like much more than WebOS in fact. I like that i can use T9 dialer to search my contacts in the phone app, WebOS can't do this. I like that Apps can add additional icons to the top bar. I like that I can have widgets that link back to apps. But at the same time I miss being able to adjust my Wifi settings from where ever. I miss card view. But to say that no OS will have a better UI is just dumb. You have no idea what will be released next year do you?

    So overall, I am not going to switch to any other platform... Thats the end of the story.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions