1.    #1  
    Question that comes to my mind is why can't, or doesn't, anyone make an OS or phone that the end user can load whichever OS they choose on the phone? Sort of like a PC, you can go with this version of windows or that or say screw windows and run Linux or something else.

Why hasn't the cell phone market gone in that direction? Seems ideal with all the wars going on.
    For a very simplistic answer, how are you going to get webOS gestures on a phone that does not support them, you can't.
    But really the answer is economics more than feasibality. It is somewhat obvious that phone companies would make less money from us if this route was taken. But also it would never be feasible.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    For a very simplistic answer, how are you going to get webOS gestures on a phone that does not support them, you can't.
    But really the answer is economics more than feasibality. It is somewhat obvious that phone companies would make less money from us if this route was taken. But also it would never be feasible.

Same way I have to have a fingerprint reader to gain that functionability out of my PC, or speakers, or joystick.

I also am not certain I buy that phone companies would make less. Does Dell make less because someone can take their PC and load another OS on it? I doubt it.

I think it could open the door to more profits, because of flexibility.
    You're missing the point that these OS's are very differnet and each device has to be customised to the OS it is running. With pc all OS are essentially using the same hardware, mouse and keyboard. On mobile devices it is very different.
  5.    #5  
    Not missing the point. I realize as of today, these OS's are very different and each device has to be customized to the OS.

My question is why the phone manufacturers don't go with more of a centralized approach. Maybe it does fuel sales, but I'm not certain I'm sold on that. To me they kind of kill possibities.

I guess I look at it this way, wouldn't it be nice to be able to choose between a Pre sized device, maybe something bigger like the EVO, or maybe you want something in between. Then you pick the OS, the phone manufacturers could still partner with different OS's to streamline things, yet still leave it up to the end user to decide which OS they wanted or have the ability to change at a later date. Heck with SIM cards and such, if all was basically equal, I would think you could have multiple phones depending upon your need or desire for the day, just pop the carrier sim card out of one device and into another. Basically the option to have multiple phones yet one contract, as only one could be used at a time!!

I seriously think they are leaving a lot on the table. Maybe I should start inventing!!
  6.    #6  
    If the phone itself had different capabilities than what the OS called for I don't see why the manufacturer couldn't supply drivers to support those functions. Much like on a PC. So if your phone has a hardware keyboard, the phone comes with a driver, if you want a software keyboard, you get that driver, you get the point....
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    Same way I have to have a fingerprint reader to gain that functionability out of my PC, or speakers, or joystick.

I also am not certain I buy that phone companies would make less. Does Dell make less because someone can take their PC and load another OS on it? I doubt it.

I think it could open the door to more profits, because of flexibility.
    Dell doesn't care what os you load on a computer. it sells hardware and a bunch of accessories and consumer electronics. They make money anyway.

Rim makes money when it sell, a phone with Rimm services. it's not intheir interest to support other o.s.. then they have to help with tech support and it takes away from all the money they've invested in selling phones with rimm services.

Take a company like LG, or samsung, or motorola. They likely can't, according to their licensing contract, offer the same os in two different phones. And why screw your meal ticket over. Take Apple tv. Apple could make it play every format available but they don't cause, they've invested in certain formats plus most of the movie and tv studios that feed the videos into their itunes store don't like that cause they think it's hastening the adoption of digital downloads before they have a handle on copyright protections. So why you make good money of music and movies why whats the incentive **** off the music and movie studios? Just for a small apple tv profit?

Not to mention there are hardware issues as some i'd guess some components may not support all features of an o.s. So you'd have to make sure every component you stick in the phone worked with both o.s.'s

regardless its about money.