1.    #1  
    my mom currently has the 1st gen iPhone and has dropped it so many times the screen is starting to break. she was looking for a replacement phone the other day. so, i guess i have a couple questions so i can recommend a webOS phone to her.

1. since she's still on AT&T would it be better for her to stay with AT&T or switch to sprint? is AT&T coverage quality better than sprint coverage?

2. would the pre be better than the pixi or vice versa?

3. should she go for the Plus version of either phone?

4. since she is not exactly tech savvy, would a webOS phone be easy for her to learn?

i currently have the Pre with sprint and i'm loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickel3956 View Post
    my mom currently has the 1st gen iPhone and has dropped it so many times the screen is starting to break. she was looking for a replacement phone the other day. so, i guess i have a couple questions so i can recommend a webOS phone to her.

1. since she's still on AT&T would it be better for her to stay with AT&T or switch to sprint? is AT&T coverage quality better than sprint coverage?

4. since she is not exactly tech savvy, would a webOS phone be easy for her to learn?

1. I love Sprint coverage, but you'll also be getting a small quality phone(half RAM half storage)

2. The Pre is a better phone than the Pixi, but it may be less complicated since she drops her iPhone a lot so maybe she won't have a reason to complain about hardware breaking.

3. The Plus is only available on AT&T and Verizon so she'd have to stay on AT&T for that.

4. webOS is easy if you give it time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickel3956 View Post

1) I came over to Sprint from years at AT&T and absolutely love the coverage. I used to drop calls constantly on AT&T, but not here. PLUS... Sprint is soooo much less expensive!

2) It's all up to whichever form-factor she likes best. The Pre is more powerful with a larger screen, but it's up to her to decide which she likes better. But if she is prone to dropping phones, get a GRT case to protect it and keep the slider solid.

3) There is no Plus version at Sprint right now, only at AT&T and Verizon. The Plus version has more memory and RAM. She would have less chance of running into the "too many cards" error on the Plus... but like I said.. Sprint is a lot less expensive!

4) I honestly believe that webOS is the easiest, most intuitive, and elegant of the OS's available. I think she wouldn't have an issue at all learning it (especially with you there) and would end up LOVING it.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/05/2010 at 09:13 PM.
    if your mom is anything like my mom doesn't care about what it does just wants to talk I say stick with what she good with (iphone ) .. Go on ebay and look for one never can tell..
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    if your mom is anything like my mom doesn't care about what it does just wants to talk I say stick with what she good with (iphone ) .. Go on ebay and look for one never can tell..
    I learned my lesson with my mom and tech. If you get them to learn ANYTHING then don't change it. It worked out for me though because after two weeks of the iPad she gave up and just wants a nice cheap winxp netbook. So I save money and got to keep the iPad for myself.
    So much of what you are asking is personal opinion.

I'm a VZ guy that left AT&T after about 7 years due mostly to coverage issues. If sprint had better coverage where I need it, I'd be there in a heartbeat. But in my extensive testing VZ coverage is still the difference for me, and my company pays for it. Any one giving good advice will tell you to pick your carrier, and then pick your phone.

As far as Pre vs Pixi, she just needs to go to the store and try them both. I live the pixi keyboard, but the screen is too small for my old eyes.

5 minutes to learn 5 gestures and she will be amazed with webOS. Every time I show my Pre+ to an iphone user, they are amazed at how easy it is, and how powerful it is.

But, the iPhone is not a bad device. If she is happy with the iPhone, I would only switch her under the following conditions:

1) You are there to fully support her and preware the crap out of it.
    2) You make sure she uses it hard for 25 days so she can exchange it for an iPhone if she isn't totally loving it by then... IMHO