Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

But me and you? We're not these mainstream buyers. We're past that. P
    mainstream buyers are all about the apps. something that is (i think) one of webOS biggest downfalls. people play into the 50k-200k apps thing. looking back, it seems the pre was never meant for mainstream buyers
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    but that's because you can't do anything advanced in webOS except to move icons around. It's the same exact type of gui that's been around for well over 13yrs (pre dating PalmOS). Icons in a launcher.
    If you think it's all about icons in a launcher just like 13 years ago... you are doing it wrong...
    **Peoples.... May I please remind you again that this not the forum for the great debate of webOS vs. EVO - we already have that one going and you can join in there.

This thread is for those to express WHY they are keeping their webOS device. Please keep discussions on-topic. Thank ya kindly
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    This thread is for those to express WHY they are keeping their webOS device. Please keep discussions on-topic. Thank ya kindly
    I'm not going to Sprint. 'nuff said.
    And I'll never leave Sprint. But I won't get an Evo.
    WTH, Crogs got banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    WTH, Crogs got banned!
    I wonder y...
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

meanwhile, back on the topic...
    I did get some hands on time with the Evo, with my Pre close at hand for comparison. I will say, the Evo's screen is absolutely incredible. My praise ends there. The lack of a hardware keyboard, the poorly integrated notifications, and the clunky multitasking were a major turn off for me. In defense, I have used many virtual keyboards, and the Evo's onscreen keyboard was the easiest to use, but I can (thumb) touch type with my Pre. Not possible with the Evo, one or two handed. Overall, the OS brought back memories of Windows Mobile, in both the way it handled apps and notifications, and in the thoughts of future compatibility. I'm not a fan of the Apple Iphone, but the simple fact that they ensure that future versions of their software support their older hardware is something I like. Palm appears to be emulating that same stance. Having seen what happens to older Android hardware (G1 being my prime example) the idea of potentially getting left in the dust while others upgrade to the latest and greatest doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I already went through that with Windows Mobile.

I will admit, if the Evo was running WebOS, even without a hardware keyboard, I would probably be all over it. My preference for the keyboard still stands, and if I have the choice, a slider keyboard will always get my nod. Pair that with the screen from the Evo, keep the portrait slider style from the Pre (with a better mechanism, of course) and put a beefy CPU under the hood, and I'll be more than happy.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    **Peoples.... May I please remind you again that this not the forum for the great debate of webOS vs. EVO - we already have that one going and you can join in there.

I am staying with my Palm Pre+ because:

1. I need to stay on VZ (always pick your carrier first)
    2. I need to sync with Outlook without touching gmail (even though I had to buy it...)
    3. I need a physical keyboard
    4. I have about 18 months left on my contract
    5. I don't want a phone that's the same size as my Garmin GPS
    6. I am very satisfied with my current phone, and I won't be tempted until something that better meets my needs becomes available on VZ, or my job changes so VZ isn't required.

I wouldn't buy something in the Evo form factor even if it ran webOS and worked on VZ. I have a netbook with 720p display and a 9 hour battery that is better for viewing video on airplanes. Same with my TV, I didn't buy a 60" HD TV because it's bigger, I kept my 40" TV because that's all I have room for...

Sure, I don't fit the majority of users that are being targeted by smartphone makers.. but those are my reasons and I know I'm not completely alone.

So, anyone else want to offer a list of reasons that are actually on topic?
    No man thinks more highly than I do of the innovation, as well as abilities, of the very worthy gentlemen who have just addressed the Forum. But different men often see the same subject in different lights; and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if, entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve. This is no time for ceremony. The questing before the Forum is one of awful moment to this community. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfill the great responsibility which we hold to our cell phones. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my platform of choice, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Homebrew Developers, which I revere above all earthly kings.

Mr. Forum Moderator, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for cell phone superiority? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal wants? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging of the future but by the past. And judging by the past, I wish to know what there has been in the conduct of Apple and Google for the last ten years to justify those hopes with which gentlemen have been pleased to solace themselves and the Forum. Is it that insidious smile with which our eyes and ears has been lately received? Trust it not, sir; it will prove a snare to your feet. Suffer not yourselves to be betrayed with a kiss. Ask yourselves how this gracious presentation of our competition comports with those warlike preparations which cover our airwaves and darken our wifi. Are Snapdragons and Front facing cams necessary to a work of love and reconciliation? Have we shown ourselves so unwilling to be reconciled that farce must be called in to win back our love? Let us not deceive ourselves, sir. These are the implements of war and subjugation; the last arguments to which kings resort. I ask gentlemen, sir, what means this martial array, if its purpose be not to force us to submission? Can gentlemen assign any other possible motive for it? Has Apple or HTC any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of apps and large screens? No, sir, they have none. They are meant for us: they can be meant for no other. They are sent over to bind and rivet upon us those chains which the Apples and Googles have been so long forging. And what have we to oppose to them? Shall we try multi-tasking? Sir, we have been trying that for the last year. Have we anything new to offer upon the subject? Nothing. We have held the subject up in every light of which it is capable; but it has been all in vain. Shall we resort to platform switching and humble supplication? What terms shall we find which have not been already exhausted? Let us not, I beseech you, sir, deceive ourselves. Sir, we have done everything that could be done to avert the storm which is now coming on. We have used gestures; we have demonstrated; we have homebrewed; we have prostrated ourselves before the throne, and have implored its interposition to arrest the tyrannical hands of Apple and Google. Our petitions have been slighted; our remonstrances have produced additional distance and insult; our supplications have been disregarded; and we have been spurned, with contempt, from the foot of the throne! In vain, after these things, may we indulge the fond hope of peace and reconciliation. There is no longer any room for hope. If we wish to be free-- if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending--if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained--we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight! An appeal to app developers and to HP / Palm is all that is left us!

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally passe, and when an Apple iPad shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which Palm hath placed in our power. The millions (thousands?) of people, armed in the holy cause of over clocking, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a HP who presides over the destinies of smartphones, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, EVO, iPhone-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of single source app stores and clunky UIs? Forbid it, Almighty Pre2!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me webOS or give me death!

* with thanks and apologies to Patrick Henry
    @rlee, that's awesome.

I just hope people don't "quote" this and make even longer posts!

...well played, sir!
    @rlee

<<claps>> Here Here!! Well done good sir! But we must beg of thee to not make this your new signature!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/07/2010 at 05:15 PM.

I thought I laid out a very clear review of why the EVO is not for me. Nowhere in my review did I say the EVO "sux" or any such thing. I did give it praise where I found it.

[Crogs] made some assumptions about my use of the phone and my whole point of posting about frequenting the stores is that I am in "good" with the managers and staff which affords certain "privileges" that maybe others do not have, such as unfettered access to the phone. I loaded contacts, FB, RSS feeds, downloaded apps (free only), and get the EVO a good sincere run through.

In fact, I gave it considerably more time than I gave my Pre and I bought the Pre the following payday. In this case, the screen worked AGAINST my picking it up. I have lines available on my account mainly due to my employer covering my cell usage so I could have picked it up if I wanted. My 2nd Pre has been perfect since last October and I wrote the reasons why I don't have one for now.

(If WebOS did go down with the ship, I would likely pick up an EVO only because the Incredible is not on Sprint and my employer has ties to them.)
    @cobrakon - The reminder wasn't pointed at you, but those in the forum who were drifting off topic. Thank you for your review!
    I just got back from checking out the Evo, no one was really there. But after playing around with it for about 10 minutes, I am so happy I still have web os. The evo's specs are unbelievable but it would just drive me crazy not have a gesture area, cards, or just the standard UI of web os. I still really hope that palm comes out with another phone soon, but I'm still really happy with the pre. Oh and amazingly enough, while I was playing with the Evo, the sprint rep was talking to a man about the pre (the guy didn't want to pay the extra $10), and he ended up buying 2 pres (one for him and for his son). Thought it was pretty cool.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Pre wins......it can do in the palm of my hand everything I need on the fly.

Touchstone.

I like the Evo but it is very large and not a toss in your shorts device. There are some nice advantages of a large phone and android is cool but memory management is prehistoric and 4g is not so hot so far , did I mention its huge and battery life is worse than Pre.

I want to see some leaked photos already of next palm device.......
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Probably would have stayed with my Evo had I not had a Pre and experienced its multi-tasking which is second to none imo. Gesture area and delete by swiping was also missed. Notifications are better and I say again, multitasking.
    Had my Evo since launch and aside from those areas, it was a pretty good phone. It was the first non Palm phone I've had since 2005. I was always against virtual keyboard but after using it for a while, I've become a fan of it. Plus it had speech to text for when you're driving. The auto-correct was great since it inputted words you regularly used. And of course, the extensive app catalog.
    My hopes are that the next webOS device is a few steps up from the Evo, not just an Evo with webOS. However, hopes do not always go fulfilled.
    The pre is the best phone in the world. It has no flaws. The EVO is just a children's toy.

Watch out world, webos is coming!!!1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @rlee, that's awesome.

I just hope people don't "quote" this and make even longer posts!

...well played, sir!
    Well played doesn't even begin to cover it. I'm awed. But do I detect a bit of Jonathan Swift along for the ride with Patrick Henry?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast