Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    u know the reason i didn't switch to android was for one main reason. b4 i got the pre i was actually planning on getting the instinct, but 2 of my friends told me to wait bc this so called palm pre was coming out soon. i waited 4 to 5 months mainly bc of all the videos i saw of webOS running i was absolutely wowed from every aspect of it. i was really excited. Now when i found out about android, it looked "blah" to me didnt wow me like webOS did. i did go to the store and admired the hardware, very nice, would normally get used to a huge screen compared to pre's. 1st time i handled and messed around with android so i tried to make it worthwhile. but it was hard, it didnt wow me. thats all, dont kill me bc i didnt have the amount of time spent to make a better decision please
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

<<quote deleted>>

ur funny...i take no offense in any comments; i actually believe u guys r taking my comments personal, but its ok
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/07/2010 at 02:39 AM.
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    ur funny...i take no offense in any comments; i actually believe u guys r taking my comments personal, but its ok
    Nope, just trying to find out if you were offended. Just looking out for my fellow Precentral member.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Nope, just trying to find out if you were offended. Just looking out for my fellow Precentral member.
    dont get offended for that stuff so dont worry
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    dont get offended for that stuff so dont worry
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Huh?
    i meant i dont get offended for that kind of stuff, sorry
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

anyways, the only way ill only switch to android is if HP doesnt put webOS on anymore smartphones and no more updates r put out and webOS is dead, till i hear news like this then ill reconsider. but it hasnt happened
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    30 minutes 5 minutes its all a very short period of time. certainly not long enough to make a truly informed review
    How about the better part of a day with the EVO?? Still not drinking "Ye Olde Android Aide"...

http://forums.precentral.net/2493810-post78.html

**All.... Please note that this thread is for members to discuss why they are staying with webOS instead of moving to another phone. We do have an Official thread for discussing EVO vs. webOS where all are welcome to join in.

Please keep this thread on-topic. Thank you!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/07/2010 at 03:44 AM.
    Was trying to keep a thread on topic that got moved here. The thread was for people that were moving to the Evo and why. It was a very specific titled thread with specific content and not a "vs discussion" thread. Yet that seemed to get rolled into the vs thread. So I'm confused about what belongs where.

And quite a few comments in the staying with webOS thread have actually been wrong or just based on a lack of information. So there shouldn't be anything wrong with enlightening them in that thread with the correct information.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I don't drink either OS's kool aid. And a general run around the OS is an ok basic opinion. You still haven't downloaded your favorite apps, customized your home screens with your favorite widgets for instant access to live info. Turned your home screen into a real today screen, again with instant access to info the moment your screen turns on. You didn't mention how unread notifications in webOS fill up your entire screen after awhile which could be as annoying as being a little laggy with too many in android. And a few things you didn't like in android hold true in webOS. Two much info syncing can slow an OS down? Like too many cards being open? I'm sorry, but I actually use my phone. Use apps, do thing on it. Just roaming around the UI isn't much of a review. Like smoother kinetic scrolling is going to cause me to return a phone. If I had to detract points on user experience, not as smooth scrolling loses a quarter point where not being able to check my google voicemail loses about five points. Let's not overemphasize the importance of some features here.

I'm all for liking webOS. I'm keeping my two webOS phones, but if you're prehugging, of course your review is going to have a negative slant to it, even in areas where webOS is no better. The negatives seem to get a lot of explanation with the pros just getting the quick one liner and no explanation.

As far as size is concerned. You either want a 4.3" screen or you don't. I find it amazing that this site and its members feel some sort of threat by the Evo with all the commotion it's caused, because the Incredible is churning out the numbers big time over at Verizon at the expense of webOS (with its free hot spot and all). It's very much the same phone minus the 4g, dual camera and hdmi out. And it solves one of the big criticisms in your review, one handedness. Even keeping that complaint valid it's still funny to see many prehuggers drooling over the hardware wishing webOS was on it. Many have mentioned it, so I guess they'd be ok using webOS with two hands. It's funny, the Pre vs Incredible thread is barely hanging on the 1st page with a whopping 18 replies, yet the EVo vs thread has well over 2000 posts with many creating more threads that just get rolled into the official thread, except this one. I'd think the Incredible would get more press since the size would be acceptable for all that find the Evo gargantuan.

I'm surprised your post is even staying in this forum because I have a feeling you didn't really have an interest in switching to the Evo. You just frequent the stores and decided to check it out in order to write the slanted review. The even funnier thing is, I'm surprised (or not surprised) this hasn't been moved to the "official" thread because of the fact there is nothing in your post about moving to the evo and sticking with webOS, outside of the quick "not for me" at the end.

I'll give more credibility to people who actually buy the phone and give it a few days. Maybe hop over to android forums to answer questions and get tips, tricks, pearls and such. That's what people do here, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    How about the better part of a day with the EVO?? Still not drinking "Ye Olde Android Aide"...

http://forums.precentral.net/2493810-post78.html

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I didn't see the EVO up close and personal but I did think hard about getting the HERO..
    For me it was about the OS. I just didn't like it so for now I'm keeping the Pre
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Lots of people are sticking with WebOS over switching to whatever "flavor of the month" phone everyone else is talking about. But even IF HP gives us an updated phone, what guarantee is there that the carriers will want it? In general, the Pre has been a huge headache for the carriers and resulted in an increase in support calls, product replacements, price drops, disgruntled salespeople and lack of profitability.

So I'm really wondering why a carrier would re-invest in the next WebOS device when its so much easier to sell a competing device. Is it possible we'll see WebOS phones sold like Nokia's where you have to buy them off-contract straight through the manufacturers? That wouldn't be bad since HP is huge, but those tend to be GSM devices which would mean no Sprint/Verizon. I guess I'm just curious of HP's roadmap because I don't know how they plan to be successful in such a competitive smartphone market.
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/07/2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I don't drink either OS's kool aid. And a general run around the OS is an ok basic opinion. You still haven't downloaded your favorite apps, customized your home screens with your favorite widgets for instant access to live info. Turned your home screen into a real today screen, again with instant access to info the moment your screen turns on. You didn't mention how unread notifications in webOS fill up your entire screen after awhile which could be as annoying as being a little laggy with too many in android. And a few things you didn't like in android hold true in webOS. Two much info syncing can slow an OS down? Like too many cards being open? I'm sorry, but I actually use my phone. Use apps, do thing on it. Just roaming around the UI isn't much of a review. Like smoother kinetic scrolling is going to cause me to return a phone. If I had to detract points on user experience, not as smooth scrolling loses a quarter point where not being able to check my google voicemail loses about five points. Let's not overemphasize the importance of some features here.

As far as size is concerned. You either want a 4.3" screen or you don't. I find it amazing that this site and its members feel some sort of threat by the Evo with all the commotion it's caused, because the Incredible is churning out the numbers big time over at Verizon at the expense of webOS (with its free hot spot and all). It's very much the same phone minus the 4g, dual camera and hdmi out. And it solves one of the big criticisms in your review, one handedness. Even keeping that complaint valid it's still funny to see many prehuggers drooling over the hardware wishing webOS was on it. Many have mentioned it, so I guess they'd be ok using webOS with two hands. It's funny, the Pre vs Incredible thread is barely hanging on the 1st page with a whopping 18 replies, yet the EVo vs thread has well over 2000 posts with many creating more threads that just get rolled into the official thread, except this one. I'd think the Incredible would get more press since the size would be acceptable for all that find the Evo gargantuan.
    When you talk of widgets and customizing home screens and all that, i don't think that resonates with the mainstream buyers. That sure didn't go well with WM phones that took a lot of time to set up.

Number one, they want a cool looking phone that feels solid. The iphone form factor started the slab craze and remains the reference smartphone to mainstreamers.

Then they want to be able to browse the web, use social websites or apps, use maps or navigation, view or listen to multimedia, and have the ability to download little apps or simple games.

All this and they want to be able to do it with a responsive multitouch screen. That's half the fun.

But keep in mind people are lazy and not very technical. This needs to be easy to use out of the box and not require much in setup.

Palm failed in many ways from the above and yet nailed a few. Android or HTC really hits on more of these points but still needs more polish in making things simpler for the mainstreamer.

A physical kb may be easier to use. Heck i think universal search is much superior than going to the home screen and swiping til you find the right icon to tap on. But to many users, this is half the fun of using the device. They want to swipe and interact with that touch screen and see their pretty icons and background. Even the virtual kb.

But me and you? We're not these mainstream buyers. We're past that. We want function, ways to modify the OS, while still having some of the eyecandy and simple UI. We want apps that add new functions or features. We are such a minority.

I'm rambling...time for lunch :P
    easy to ramble, yes?

I appreciate a physical keyboard as much as the next guy. You can't argue though, many here have stated they'd like to see webOS on the Evo's hardware.

Heck, I have a pixi and would just start typing. I wish I had the ability to put sites of my choice in the universal search options. But when I have one home screen that's always there and two more that are a single swipe away, that's a lot of info on three screens that are easier to get to than on webOS unless I'm keeping those cards open all the time.

I think as time goes on, more and more android users are discovering widgets. WM isn't a good comparison because it's all skinned. It's not native to the OS, and they weren't as plentiful as they are on android. Yes it's a little bit of a learning curve, but I turned on at least five people to sportstap alone, and I know they told people. Word of mouth helps make things more mainstream just like preware and homebrew is becoming more popular amongst the non forum crowd due to word of mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    u cant stand in the store and spend 5 mintues on the phone and expect to operate it as well as a phone you've had for several months, cmon...
    Actually, thats kind of the point... Many of these posting found that 5 minutes with webOS is all it took for them to understand, use, and really like the Pre or Pixi.

That was my experience. I spent hours in various VZ stores playng with the MotoDroid, even letting their "expert" take me through extensive demos of the phone and their favorite apps. The had no idea how to make the Pre work. I did some research to find some info on gestures. I went back to the store and figured it out in 5 minutes...

That somewhat sets the bar for being able to be shown the navigation metaphor, and then being able to figure it out pretty quickly from there. As I messed with my neighbors Evo, he is still stumbling after the whole weekend. Coming from BlackBerry, he feels like he is having to "memorize" the path to each task rather than it being obvious like using universal search to start a variety of tasks. Of course, the screen has him impressed to the point that he will keep it and eventually be very proficient. But as a very technical family, they haven't found their Evo to be simple to learn...

However, it would be more helpful if they would post the specifics of "why". Terms like clunky, not-intuitive, etc... don't really help much...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/07/2010 at 12:38 PM.
    but that's because you can't do anything advanced in webOS except to move icons around. It's the same exact type of gui that's been around for well over 13yrs (pre dating PalmOS). Icons in a launcher.

In android all the phone basics are right in front of you. All my technically challenged employees could do contacts, calendar, email and phone calls out of the box coming from PalmOS. Everything else was a new experience. Putting their favorites on a homescreen, adding widgets and even the app store.

other touchscreen phones have press and hold to get a menu, but I couldn't figure out why it didn't do anything in webOS. Where's that right click functionality I'm used to. Just like the uber simple Mac. One mouse button? You mean I have to hold down a key and click the mouse to get right click menus?
    Here's a rule of thumb for some :P If you're reading a review on Engadget and Topolsky (or whoever is in charge) isn't the one doing the review, then its probably not worth your time either.

Just to note, both the iphone 3GS and Palm Pre (and the Plus versions) were. The HTC Evo review went to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    but that's because you can't do anything advanced in webOS except to move icons around. It's the same exact type of gui that's been around for well over 13yrs (pre dating PalmOS). Icons in a launcher.

In android all the phone basics are right in front of you. All my technically challenged employees could do contacts, calendar, email and phone calls out of the box coming from PalmOS. Everything else was a new experience. Putting their favorites on a homescreen, adding widgets and even the app store.

other touchscreen phones have press and hold to get a menu, but I couldn't figure out why it didn't do anything in webOS. Where's that right click functionality I'm used to. Just like the uber simple Mac. One mouse button? You mean I have to hold down a key and click the mouse to get right click menus?
    Universal search. During the months i did own a Pre, i never went to my screens of icons to start up an app. Slide open, type a few keys and enter. That's the thing i miss most about the Pre. Wanna call a contact? Do the same thing.

Or i left the apps open that i use the most and swiped to active card. The open card is the widget.

I use spotlight on the iphone. I don't swipe through 10 different screens of icons. Along with a jailbreak app or two to switch apps easily.
    Just checked it out at Sprint store and while I was there for about 5 mins, I played couple of 30 seconds youtube video, opened up their list of apps (kind of our launcher page) and did 10 secs of Fring video call...the battery went down from about 20% to 5%.

I think the EVO has a horrible battery life. As a matter of fact, all the AndroidOS phones sucks in battery life.

I ain't going to any other phone.. LOVE MY PALM PRE (EVEN PRE without + kicks other phones *****).
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast