Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 181
  1. #81  
    In your renditions when in card view thats the same size of the current Pre screen size lol.


    Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  2. #82  
    Too big. And with the Dell Streak (5") coming (along with 7" and 10" versions later), how big you wanna go? To each their own, but i'm looking for the best screen in terms of being crisp, high resolution, colors that pop, etc. Yet if you're on Sprint, you don't exactly have other compelling options..

    I thought the iphone was already borderline with a 3.5" screen.

    I'm surprised the Blackberry 9800 isn't being talked about more on the Pre crossplatform forums. My wife is interested after still not quite wanting an iphone and its virtual kb. The BB looks to have the famous BB kb, touch screen, optical track wheel (whatever its called), webkit browser, OS 6...

    The popularity of the Evo on here only reinforces the idea that Palm's first webOS phone should have been a slab.
    Last edited by cardfan; 06/06/2010 at 08:40 AM.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Too big. And with the Dell Streak (5") coming (along with 7" and 10" versions later), how big you wanna go? To each their own, but i'm looking for the best screen in terms of being crisp, high resolution, colors that pop, etc. Yet if you're on Sprint, you don't exactly have other compelling options..

    I thought the iphone was already borderline with a 3.5" screen.

    I'm surprised the Blackberry 9800 isn't being talked about more on the Pre crossplatform forums. My wife is interested after still not quite wanting an iphone and its virtual kb. The BB looks to have the famous BB kb, touch screen, optical track wheel (whatever its called), webkit browser, OS 6...

    The popularity of the Evo on here only reinforces the idea that Palm's first webOS phone should have been a slab.

    The last statement is the kicker and one of the big reasons it didn't catch on. Of course the atrocious marketing had as much to do with it as well. But people's first impressions indicate success or failure, before they even see the OS on the handset. Use the BB as an example. I dislike the size, shape, etc...I don't care what OS it has on it, i'm not interested.

    I so wanted this phone to be a success because we'd all benefit from it. We did benefit from the Homebrew community but I am wondering if that was a calculated move on Palm's part. In essence they got other folks to do the work for them. Just a thought.


    So I picked up the Evo, been playing with it, it has apps that unfortunately Pre will likely never have. Maybe HPalm will step up but they're terribly late to the game and what little thunder they could generate has been stolen by the Evo and now the new iphone release.
  4. #84  
    why switch to EVO?the webos is so much better that that huge brick,i love my pre
  5. #85  
    For you but to others WEBOS is junk and they prefer Android. And to others Android is Junk and they prefer Iphone. Its all about what people want. Beta was better then VHS. Where is Beta now.

    Quote Originally Posted by JAMIE3P View Post
    why switch to EVO?the webos is so much better that that huge brick,i love my pre
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMIE3P View Post
    why switch to EVO?the webos is so much better that that huge brick,i love my pre
    so the pre is a short fat brick. Don't forget it's abt 2x thicker than the EVO
  7. #87  
    The popularity of the Evo has less to do with being a big slab and more to do with Palm's hardware being subpar. Cheap plastic, bad slider, bad keyboard and over-engineered to a fault.Had the hardware been solid, the growing pains of the OS would have been forgiven, and many would be much happier right now and most likely less passionate about the Evo. Based on the average product cycle, Palm is due for leaked photos and info about a 2nd gen phone, and there is nothing. This is on top of the Palm tanking and being saved by HP and all the hoopla that comes along with it. This further drives people to something new and different. Also, many people are switching in spite of the on screen keyboard. Many are saying they will live with it to get all the other features that are brought to the table. Not all are saying they are fat and happy with an onscreen keyboard. Include me as one who isn't but will live with it. If the Pre had been a solid device through and through, much of the Evo hoopla here wouldn't exist. If there was already a 2nd gen palm device being talked about, the Evo wouldn't have as much drawhere as well.

    Screens being crisp? Pixel density plays a role and 3.6-4.3" screens with VGA resolution are just fine and comparable to QVGA on a 3.2" screen.

    The BB isn't impressive, like the Pre, it too lacks any real space above the top row of keys, and it's still a BB which many on here just don't care for. Web based mail is still the worst out of all the OS's out there. Unless you're on BES, your email options pretty much just stink. For the record it's an optical trackpad. Something webOS could use. I hate using the screen to select text.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Too big. And with the Dell Streak (5") coming (along with 7" and 10" versions later), how big you wanna go? To each their own, but i'm looking for the best screen in terms of being crisp, high resolution, colors that pop, etc. Yet if you're on Sprint, you don't exactly have other compelling options..

    I thought the iphone was already borderline with a 3.5" screen.

    I'm surprised the Blackberry 9800 isn't being talked about more on the Pre crossplatform forums. My wife is interested after still not quite wanting an iphone and its virtual kb. The BB looks to have the famous BB kb, touch screen, optical track wheel (whatever its called), webkit browser, OS 6...

    The popularity of the Evo on here only reinforces the idea that Palm's first webOS phone should have been a slab.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8. #88  
    not to mention longer than the Evo when open. I have my innocase surface case and the overall footprint really doesn't seem overly big by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    so the pre is a short fat brick. Don't forget it's abt 2x thicker than the EVO
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    EVO is just to big as to fit in a pocket :/
    It actually feels better in the pocket than my Pre because its slimmer.
  10. #90  
    i was running 1 application at a time, just to be fair. when i finished with 1 i tossed it away and moved on to the next application test.
  11. #91  
    It's a no-brainer to stay with WebOS for now, strictly speaking for myself. And I've never tested an Evo4G, so to speak. I have a Hero, and if I didn't I might be more tempted.

    But if I'm going to use my yearly Premier upgrade, I want to have more choices to use it with. i want to see the Sprint HTC Gold Window 7 phone, the new Samsung Android phone, perhaps the Samsung Galaxy S, and whatever other treats the October/November timeframe brings for Sprint. Hell, iPhone is a persistently rumored item for Sprint and Verizon this year too.

    My Pre will hopefully survive until then. I may end up getting an Evo after all. But what's the rush, aside from getting the new hot whatever?

    EDIT: I would LOVE to be able choose from a much better-constructed WebOS device too. I don't think it's going to happen until 2011. Would love to be wrong.
  12. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    so the pre is a short fat brick. Don't forget it's abt 2x thicker than the EVO
    Twice as thick, are you high?

    evo specs:
    Physical size 122*mm (4.8*in)*(h)
    66*mm (2.6*in)*(w)
    12.7*mm (0.50*in)*(d)
    Weight 170*g (6.0*oz)

    pre specs:
    Physical size 100.53*mm (3.958*in)*(h)
    59.57*mm (2.345*in)*(w)
    16.95*mm (0.667*in)*(d)
    Weight 135*g (4.8*oz)
  13. #93  
    If it makes anyone feel better, Sprint still hasn't figured out how to create effective advertising... The current evo tag line is: What can you do with "first"?

    So forget about Android, forget about Sensue UI, forget about having a 720p display with HDMI, 50,000 apps, etc etc. Their value prop is that it's the first 4G phone. Will they ever learn what merit-based marketing is about?
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I disagree and when Palm releases the next gen, you guys will be stuck with that big brick.
    there is a chance though, when Palm released next device, my son will go school, and he is in kindergarten now...
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If it makes anyone feel better, Sprint still hasn't figured out how to create effective advertising... The current evo tag line is: What can you do with "first"?

    So forget about Android, forget about Sensue UI, forget about having a 720p display with HDMI, 50,000 apps, etc etc. Their value prop is that it's the first 4G phone. Will they ever learn what merit-based marketing is about?
    I hadn't really seen a thread to comment on about that, but i agree. There's some obvious things about the Evo to advertise. But i guess Sprint is running with the 4G part. I can't argue with that either though..they do need to rub that in no matter if the coverage isn't much right now.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If it makes anyone feel better, Sprint still hasn't figured out how to create effective advertising... The current evo tag line is: What can you do with "first"?

    So forget about Android, forget about Sensue UI, forget about having a 720p display with HDMI, 50,000 apps, etc etc. Their value prop is that it's the first 4G phone. Will they ever learn what merit-based marketing is about?
    I don't like that ad, but it would be silly to focus on specs or Android or apps. Verizon already advertises that stuff. Sprint's trying to differentiate. It's just dumb to wait until the last 5 seconds of the commercial to get to that.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The popularity of the Evo has less to do with being a big slab and more to do with Palm's hardware being subpar. Cheap plastic, bad slider, bad keyboard and over-engineered to a fault.Had the hardware been solid, the growing pains of the OS would have been forgiven, and many would be much happier right now and most likely less passionate about the Evo. Based on the average product cycle, Palm is due for leaked photos and info about a 2nd gen phone, and there is nothing. This is on top of the Palm tanking and being saved by HP and all the hoopla that comes along with it. This further drives people to something new and different. Also, many people are switching in spite of the on screen keyboard. Many are saying they will live with it to get all the other features that are brought to the table. Not all are saying they are fat and happy with an onscreen keyboard. Include me as one who isn't but will live with it. If the Pre had been a solid device through and through, much of the Evo hoopla here wouldn't exist. If there was already a 2nd gen palm device being talked about, the Evo wouldn't have as much drawhere as well.

    Screens being crisp? Pixel density plays a role and 3.6-4.3" screens with VGA resolution are just fine and comparable to QVGA on a 3.2" screen.

    The BB isn't impressive, like the Pre, it too lacks any real space above the top row of keys, and it's still a BB which many on here just don't care for. Web based mail is still the worst out of all the OS's out there. Unless you're on BES, your email options pretty much just stink. For the record it's an optical trackpad. Something webOS could use. I hate using the screen to select text.
    I disagree. People want slabs. It's why the Hero was so popular. HTC isn't stupid. They made a bigger slab.

    I'll disagree about screens too. The difference between even the Pre and the iphone is significant...at least to my eye (I do realize many really don't care about this). I would bet the Incredible looks much sharper than the Evo though i haven't seen an Incredible.

    It'll be interesting to see the new iphone if the rumored resolution stays true.

    The BB i can't comment much on. I'm not familar with 5.0 much less know what 6.0 offers. I'd heard it will have a webkit browser. The kb looks good. Email is suppose to be its strength right? The main point was that its the Pre form factor. But it doesn't seem that form factor is causing any excitement.

    BTW..did that Dell Streak really have 10 hours of battery life? (from the Engadget review).
  18. Balzak's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    #98  
    Bigger is better? Its a joke (kinda). Dug this up out of the garage. Circa 1993. My first cell phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19. #99  
    haha i remember when my parents had one just a little bit smaller than that one
  20. #100  
    Well even the Evo commercial is about 500% better than Palm's first two feeble attempts at commercials.

    heck, at&t is crying because tmob is advertising 4g like speed. 4g is a hot button no matter how you look at it. If HTC can advertise the HD2, they should get out there and advertise the Evo. You do wonder if HTC has a hand in the commercials. I think they should because they tend to have pretty good commercials, at least to the point they generate interest. And now they have another phone with a ridiculously big screen. And they should advertise the hell out of it before Moto comes out with theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I hadn't really seen a thread to comment on about that, but i agree. There's some obvious things about the Evo to advertise. But i guess Sprint is running with the 4G part. I can't argue with that either though..they do need to rub that in no matter if the coverage isn't much right now.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions