Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I'm waiting to see what HPalm does next.

Just got back from assisting my daughter with her EVO purchase. Man, Android looks complicated next to webOS. It seems you need an separate app just to find which apps are still running, so you can shut them down. Seems pretty primitive. The hardware is nice though.

She won't be able to sit on this phone like she did her old dumb phone
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I have both phones.....so far i still love my Pre. Its the best all around phone.

If you want a power device EVO is a machine......but not an everyday carry in your shorts phone and battery life is horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Man, Android looks complicated next to webOS. It seems you need an separate app just to find which apps are still running, so you can shut them down. Seems pretty primitive.
    you got that right!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    well I hate to admit that I to went into the sprint store and played around with the EVO and walked out empty handed. The pre community has done such a fantastic job with the tweaks and overclocking that I don't feel like I am missing out that much. No 4g in my area yet and why do I want to pay a 4g tax for nothin. I am not sayin I won't change my mind in a month, but I am happy to wait till froyo comes out for it.
    well you'd be wrong. The whole task killing thing has been greatly exaggerated and can do more harm than good to the OS. Problems with programs left running and draining the battery are due to programs not being written well and badly written apps aren't good for any OS.

And a simple press and hold of the home button brings up the active apps. That's primitive? I like webOS as much as the next one, but I love how people dismiss Android after seeing it for a few minutes. Use it for a week. Set it up the way you want it....widgets, home screens and apps, then come back and say it sucks. Even with Sense, it may be a little clunky, but it's definitely more functional. Maybe Palm could use an Android person on staff so they can kick someone in the **** and get webOS's background to have some widget like functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Just got back from assisting my daughter with her EVO purchase. Man, Android looks complicated next to webOS. It seems you need an separate app just to find which apps are still running, so you can shut them down. Seems pretty primitive. The hardware is nice though.

She won't be able to sit on this phone like she did her old dumb phone
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    The $10 addon is what's turning me away. I would like that to be an option rather than a requirement. I was hoping to to switch between both phones harmoniously instead of having to call Sprint to remove the $10 charge while I'm back on a Pre. I get all of these deals like the SERP Plan, Pick 3, etc. I don't want them playing with that at all. Plus I hate Android.
    800 mhz Palm Pre vs 1 ghz Evo

I had entered my local sprint store, to check out the Evo. Nice phone, but not all the hype. I ran speed test on EVDO betwenn the Evo 1ghz processer and my Palm Pre that i have Overclocked to 8OOmhz. i found running the web was faster to load on the pre.

I than did webpages,at the same time.
    1st NBA.com: PLAYOFFS 2010 the pre won this, by several seconds perhaps due to the fact that it didnt have to load flash. I refreshed and loaded again at the same time as i did before and found the 2nd time the Evo just barely beat my Pre. Ok so now it was 1-1on the final refresh of the same site the evo had an early lead, however the pre building up patiently loading had finished just before the Evo had all of its content loaded.

nba.com on pre was faster for me.

Next was WWE: Homepage, again it was 3 tries the Pre had loaded the page much faster all 3 times,even though the Evo was right behind in the finish.

Next was load of applications,

1st was Calander, came up Immidately on the Evo, with about 2 or 3 seconds behind on the pre

2nd was the Youtube application again as always same time on a 3 count. The Palm pre had come up slightly eariler, In the department of running video the Pre was much faster as the Evo had only began to play as the Pre was 1/2 way through the same video.

Youtube was faster on pre in bootup of application and video play.

3rd was camera. The Evo had loaded immidately, and it was simple to go to video, just as smooth as the Pre. However when trying to zoom with the Evo i nearly dropped the phone trying a 1 hand zoom. I felt that the zoom was a little out of the way.

I was unable to test picture speed as there was a line forming behind me to see the Evo. Only 2 were avaliable to interact with in the store. but i had gotten my results.

N now i share them with you. i honestly wish i had a camera avalible to record all of this as evidence, however i only had my Palm Pre.

PALM PRE OVERCLOCKED 800MHZ VS EVO 1GHZ
    Last edited by pre tooley; 06/04/2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    then he'd be stuck under contract till next june and have to pay full price for the next webOS device.
    But he has multiple lines, and he may be able to sell it for more than something else off contract, or he may want to keep using whatever he had before the EVO. just sayin'
    @Pre Tooley

That is fantastic info. Hopefully you can go back with a friend to record it while the store isn't crowded. Very interesting...
    mine will be here on Tuesday. I can run pre/evo comparisons as well. Though with a an agenda widget on my homescreen, having to run "Agenda" to do the same thing but in a more annoying format isn't much of a contest
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Why I'm sticking with Pre over EVO:
    1) $10/mo for 4G that doesn't exist here? Can you name one utility where you pay for a service that isn't available to you? Even the cable companies didn't start charging us for HD until there were actually HD channels available. And cable companies are dirtbags when it comes to this stuff

2) Free Tether. As an iPad and (disabled) iPhone user then $30 a month is $360/yr for something I get for free

3) Uneccessary Spending - Since my wife does the same package then for us to go EVO would be:
    $240 - 2x $10/mo useless 4G Fee
    $720 - 2x $30/mo HotSpot fee
    =$960/yr extra for the same service we have now
    +400 - 2x EVO (We already spent $400 last year for our Pre!)
    Grand Total: $1360 to upgrade for one year

4) Settling for Android While the EVO specs are amazingly perfect for me, Im just not an Android person. Sure, I can like it but Id be settling for something I'm not 100% sold on

5) iPhone Its a longshot but given a choice I want an iPhone on Sprint. With Android competing very well with the iPhone then some day (soon?) Apple will have to give in and go on all carriers. So I have all 12 fingers crossed that it will happen.
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    I must say however as for me to record such i dont think would be possiable at this moment, very few friends of mine are intrested in cells and the expanding tech. which are now being used and further evolved into todays market of Cell phones and Portable devices.

Webos in my opinion is leaps and bounds ahead of anything on the market with the simple fact that it was built from the ground up just to revolve around using the web, and its key feature of True Multitasking. Even those newer phones with higher specs and faster processing power still cant multitask as many applications or in the same way that Webos has.

Bottom line Webos may not be the most accepted os platform,and thats fine, but it is impossiable to deny that Webos Has changed the way Cellphones have worked and will work in the upcoming future. Webos is still in infancy at this stage and even now it can do so much already, in the future even more will be done as Webos matures and there is more support for the platform.

Also note, that the webos platform matures by improving the SDK n the PDK, and as these mature the Webos platform as a whole greatly grows in potential and becomes a more viable market.

Thank U
    Urkel:
    1. $10 for uncapped data on 3g or 4g. A few on here have mentioned they go over limits.
    2. PDAnet gives you tethering on the Evo. No hotspot needed. No $30/mo needed.
    3. The hotspot fee isn't mandatory. You need to rethink your math. That's $720/yr back in your pocket.
    4. personal opinion. nothing wrong here outside of how many threads you need to post this in. Some would say Android is superior for one reason or another. widgets and doc editing would be two off the top of my head. webOS's static background is so useless.
    5) I guess there's no accounting for taste (said in good fun)

Also...multitasking doesn't make or break an OS. webOS multitasks very well, but that is just one aspect of the OS, and on a phone, the masses don't need to actively multitask four or five apps at a time. If you want to make the argument for a tablet, I'd be more agreeable. But non of the modern OS's will live or die based off of active multitasking as it's main feature. And other OS's won't mature as time passes? I don't think webOS has changed much yet. Maybe when the Palm guy that now works for Google sinks his hands into it a bit, just maybe. But looking at WP7, it seems to have modeled itself after Android more than anything. webOS multitasks well and is elegant, but like the iphone it's bland. Active information on the screen that doesn't require opening anything is a big plus and available on Android and the upcoming WP7. You don't think they're on to something there?

On a side note, interesting how this thread gets stickied. No wonder the word f@nb0y is banned on this site. This is the only thread on this subforum that's stickied.

2nd sidenote: still like webOS. still keeping both my Pre and Pixi. Still have a spare line to upgrade to a future webOS phone this year.
    Last edited by crogs571; 06/04/2010 at 06:46 PM.
    Urkel:
    On a side note, interesting how this thread gets stickied. No wonder the word f@nb0y is banned on this site. This is the only thread on this subforum that's stickied.
    agreed
    Thank you for the thanks. i have found several ways to speed up my pre beyond that of just the 800mhz SuperPreKernal Patch. Ive had my phone running with such speed alterations for 2 months now and its still fine.

I hope u just enjoy ur comparrasion when u recieve ur Evo and just have Fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @Pre Tooley

That is fantastic info. Hopefully you can go back with a friend to record it while the store isn't crowded. Very interesting...
    @PreTooley. Make sure both devices are running the same number of apps in the background in your retest.

Also...multitasking doesn't make or break an OS. webOS multitasks very well, but that is just one aspect of the OS, and on a phone, the masses don't need to actively multitask four or five apps at a time.
    What matters to me is the ability to switch between different apps to copy/paste info, etc. I'm constantly remembering various things I need to do while in the middle of doing something else, so I need to be able to put the current task on the back burner and switch to something else then switch back to the first task, etc. That's mostly task switching, not multi-tasking, but the Pre does that very well too (except sometimes for the web browser, unfortunately). Does Android make it easy to do task-switching while preserving the state of apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    What matters to me is the ability to switch between different apps to copy/paste info, etc. I'm constantly remembering various things I need to do while in the middle of doing something else, so I need to be able to put the current task on the back burner and switch to something else then switch back to the first task, etc. That's mostly task switching, not multi-tasking, but the Pre does that very well too (except sometimes for the web browser, unfortunately). Does Android make it easy to do task-switching while preserving the state of apps?
    Android is great for the quick back-and-forth. Momentarily pressing and holding the home button pops up a window with the six most recently run program icons in it. Tap the one you want to switch to and it's pops up on your screen already running. Press and hold home, tap, and you're back in the original program. Each time you switch to another program, it becomes the top-left-most icon in the pop-up and your previous program becomes the one just to the right of it, so when you're switching back-and-forth, the icons also flip back-and-forth. Easy-peasy.
    dam, thank goodness for this sticky.

I've been refreshing and checking out android forums all day long for Palm Pre and Evo comparisons..

I've been itching to switch just for the latest and greatest, but I cannot live wihout a hard keyboard.

keep the Evo experiences coming.. I like to know what I am (not) missing out!
    Yes, surely a side point.

Are there other threads you would of rather saw stickied?

Perhaps PM pogey and discuss it with him.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast