1.    #1  
    Is the Pre paying a price for being TOO different from an iPhone? Like it or not, the iPhone has become the standard. Most smartphone reviews will make at least a passing comparison to the iPhone. Many will do a flat-out side-by-side comparison. While it seems that most other smartphones tried to imitate the iPhone, I feel like Palm really tried to break from the pack and design a phone that wasn't too iPhone-like. They surely borrowed some aspects (e.g. pinch/zoom), but overall the phone looks and feels a lot different from the iPhone. However, it seems that the public either wants an iPhone or a phone that's a heck of a lot like the iPhone. I've used the iPhone a lot (my brother has one) and I simply like the Pre Plus better. I am baffled as to why more people don't feel the same way I do. It's a beatiful device and very powerful. The OS is incredible. All I can figure is that Pre is being shunned because by the public because it's not enough like the iPhone.

If true, will Palm cave and make their next device an iPhone wannabe?
    if I wanted an iphone, that's what I'd get. I like the differences. Not everyone agrees with me, and prefere iphone. I wish palm offerd more models to apeal to those users. But I don't want a slab phone...part of android's success is because there is a model for almost every taste. The pre meets my preference. I hope they add to the family to appeal to other types of users. I don't see it as either/or. Its both/and...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if I wanted an iphone, that's what I'd get. I like the differences. Not everyone agrees with me, and prefere iphone. I wish palm offerd more models to apeal to those users. But I don't want a slab phone...part of android's success is because there is a model for almost every taste. The pre meets my preference. I hope they add to the family to appeal to other types of users. I don't see it as either/or. Its both/and...
    Do you think it's likely that their next offering will be an upgrade for the Pre Plus or a new slate-type phone?
    "Does it pay to be different?"

I'm not paying anything...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Last time I checked, it was Apple's iPhone OS 4 that was playing Pre-Wannabe with multitasking. Palm is so far ahead of the curve. It's like calling those frozen creamsicles ice cream, and then finding Hagėn-Daz. Palm is Hagėn-Daz.
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    Last time I checked, it was Apple's iPhone OS 4 that was playing Pre-Wannabe with multitasking. Palm is so far ahead of the curve. It's like calling those frozen creamsicles ice cream, and then finding Hagėn-Daz. Palm is Hagėn-Daz.
    As much as I can't stand Apple, I have to be honest in my assessment that they aren't playing catch-up to anyone. They introduced a phone that was so far ahead of anything on the market that it's taken years for competitors to just get relatively close. In the mean time, they've been soaking up everyone else's improvements that exploit deficincies in the iPhone. These (e.g. multi-tasking) will be implemented in latest iPhone to shoot them way ahead of the curve again.

All that said, I don't like Apple. I've never owned an Apple product and I hope that I never will.
    As much as I can't stand Apple, I have to be honest in my assessment that they aren't playing catch-up to anyone. They introduced a phone that was so far ahead of anything on the market that it's taken years for competitors to just get relatively close. In the mean time, they've been soaking up everyone else's improvements that exploit deficincies in the iPhone. These (e.g. multi-tasking) will be implemented in latest iPhone to shoot them way ahead of the curve again.

All that said, I don't like Apple. I've never owned an Apple product and I hope that I never will.
    I'm glad you are not just a blind follower for a specific brand like some people can be. I think it's wrong to compare to only the iPhone though. Although they are similar devices, all smartphones have their unique user-base. All OS's have their weak points and strengths. To call one ahead of the game is being opinionated. The main thing iPhone succeeded in that Palm failed is marketing. When you take your phone out and someone has to ask "What is that?" then there is a problem.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    The Pre is paying the price for a crappy release with poor hardware quality and an OS that was clearly in beta.

Palm and WebOS had huge promise, but they stumbled badly out of the blocks (to use a track analogy). HP/Palm need to reset, clean up the basics, and do another major release when they are good and ready.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I'm glad you are not just a blind follower for a specific brand like some people can be. I think it's wrong to compare to only the iPhone though. Although they are similar devices, all smartphones have their unique user-base. All OS's have their weak points and strengths. To call one ahead of the game is being opinionated. The main thing iPhone succeeded in that Palm failed is marketing. When you take your phone out and someone has to ask "What is that?" then there is a problem.
    Marketing has very little to do with their success. Sure, it helped, but it hasn't been the defining factor .. the phone sells itself these days, and through word-of-mouth.

Take a look at any popular tech blog, you don't see them blogging about the innovations of WebOS or applications/services found on WebOS, no .. you read about what's new for the iPhone (in terms of applications or devices compatible with it). Right now .. no one cares enough about WebOS to try and help its cause.

Many developers, blogs, etc. have reviewed WebOS in the past and quickly dismissed it due to various problems/issues. A first time impression means everything.
    Is the Pre paying a price for being TOO different from an iPhone? Like it or not, the iPhone has become the standard. Most smartphone reviews will make at least a passing comparison to the iPhone. Many will do a flat-out side-by-side comparison. While it seems that most other smartphones tried to imitate the iPhone, I feel like Palm really tried to break from the pack and design a phone that wasn't too iPhone-like. They surely borrowed some aspects (e.g. pinch/zoom), but overall the phone looks and feels a lot different from the iPhone. However, it seems that the public either wants an iPhone or a phone that's a heck of a lot like the iPhone. I've used the iPhone a lot (my brother has one) and I simply like the Pre Plus better. I am baffled as to why more people don't feel the same way I do. It's a beatiful device and very powerful. The OS is incredible. All I can figure is that Pre is being shunned because by the public because it's not enough like the iPhone.

Please name one other phone that tried to imitate the iPhone? If I remember correctly, there were smartphones with an icon grid pattern way before the iPhone. All Apple did was take existing ideas and improve upon them. Yeah Apple did re-ignite the smartphone market, very true but you're acting like they invented it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  11. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    .. the phone sells itself these days, and through word-of-mouth..
    Um... That's BECAUSE of marketing....
    Palm's being different is the only reason that they're in the game...can you imagine the Pre running something similar to Blackberry's OS or Symbian and succeeding?..how would that make them stand out!?

Palm's being different and out of the box thinking has to be credited and appreciated. Sure, they've made mistakes - but they're learning fast IMO.
    Do you think it's likely that their next offering will be an upgrade for the Pre Plus or a new slate-type phone?
    I think palm is committed to a physical keyboard, even tho I thing a slab would be popular. I think they could be more likely to ship a phone like the MotoDroid with a landscape slider, and perhaps a verticle slide like the upcoming dell.

I'd be up for a flip phone, too! But my core prediction that they will stick to physical keyboards. IMHO