1.    #1  
    Hello everyone, this is my first post and well it's an important one for me so please help. My contract is ending with AT&T this month and I will be switching to Verizon because they actually have 3G in my area. I have never had a smart phone so this will also be my first. I do currently have a MiFi with Verizon (60.00 a month with a 5 gig limit) and when I heard about the Pre Plus being able to send out as a mobile hot spot with the same allowance I almost drooled. I don't actually do much online since I moved to where I can't have cable internet and I'd like to rely on my phone for viewing the web.

The problem is I was originally considering the HTC Incredible due to the 1Ghz processor and I've heard some good things about android. Keep in mind I've never actually used a droid or a phone that used WebOS. I'm looking for a phone that will surf the web in place of my computer, will be able to connect to IRC for chat, that I can watch video on, is fast enough to watch video (of course), and all of the weird things a new smart phone user will think up.

I did both on a plan and here's the price difference:

HTC Incredible by self: 120 a month
    HTC Incredible & MiFi: 200 a month
    Pre Plus: 90 a month

Since I haven't used one before I'm also new to applications and such, I did read in a review that the Pre Plus has a lower selection of apps to choose from, but I do like that it has a keypad so I won't be using the touch screen for everything. Now I'm not sure if this is true but I read that it can multi-task where the Iphone, Droid, and BB cannot and I'll need to close one app to go to another.

And on a side note I saw an accessory for this phone and had no clue what it was. A chargeable case? Is this a case with a battery that helps support the phone?
    I believe the Pre is what you are needing and looking for. The Pre multitasks quite well and you don't need to close any apps to answer a phone call. If you happen to be in the middle of a game and the phone rings, the game pauses so you can answer the call.
    As far as app count.... Droid and iPhone have us officially beat, but you won't find as much "fluff" apps in the Palm app catalog. In addition to the official App store, there are a boat load of apps available through Homebrew, including overclocking your processor.
    If using MiFi is as important to you as it seems to be, I would definitely go with the Pre Plus.

Just based on the figures you presented, the Incredible + MiFi is $1,320 more per year than the Pre Plus + MiFi.

No phone seems worth an extra $1,320/year in service costs to me.
    While the Incredible is a cool phone, it sounds like the Pre Plus will work pretty darn good for you. Good luck and post what you decide!
    You'll love your Pre. Not only is it a great phone but it is a phone that is well understood by an excellent user community which you've already discovered. This group is a great support. The touch stone charger is an accessory for the Pre/Pixi that allows it to charge the phone wirelessly. The Pre Plus on Verizon comes with the touchstone back standard issue so all you need to buy is the stone and you are ready to go. It is a nice accessory. It is like charging your electric toothbrush - you just set the phone on it and it charges. If it rings while sitting on the touchstone, picking up the phone answers it. Its a smart little gadget. Though I haven't been bothered by the speed of my phone enough to bother with it, there are instructions on this site to overclock your phone to 800Mhz. By all accounts I've read, it is quite snappy. You'll love the phone out of the box and after a few months when you are ready for some more excitement, you can start to patch that bad boy and customize it even more to your liking. Patches are user tweaks written by the smart people who congregate at this site.

Android phones are more popular because they beat palm to the punch releasing as the first modern smart phone on Verizon. Once all of the sales associates had them and sold them in droves to the largest cell phone market in the US (which to this point had never had many cool phones to choose from), it owned the market. Palm releasing several months later missed out. The user experience on WebOS Pre is supperior to anything out there.
    Out of those choice the PRE PLus is the way to go.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I think the Pre makes an excellent first smart phone. It is very easy to use. To get the most out of it though, keep reading here, learn to use Preware and WebOS Quick Install, and learn to overclock. None of this is hard if I can do it, and I find it fun as well. And saving over $100/month is the icing on the cake!
    Based on your research so far the Pre Plus seems to be the best choice for you. Especially from an economic standpoint. But asking us Pre lovers is not the best way to get an unbiased opinion. What you really need to do now is put your hands on the phones and try them out to see which will work for you. Then after you choose the Pre, we will be here to give you support.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    and to clear things up, the androids do multitask, its just not as elegant and easy as webos, u need to go to a menu to pull up other running programs instead of just swiping to the next card like with webOS. based on what u said though, the extra fees alone would make me get the pre over the incredible, the only advantage i woulkd give to the incredible in terms of what you're looking for (using in place of a computer to surf the web) is the bigger screen which would obviously display the web larger. other than that, the pre has the advantage in this case
    Try asking the same question on an Android website and I promise you they'll tell you to chose the Incredible. Compare what advantages they say against the advantages you've heard here, and then you could make a decision from that.
  12.    #12  
    Honestly I was leaning more towards the Pre, I don't need the phone for business use I just want it to replace a computer because of me not being able to get cable internet here. I did see an app for IRC called WIRC so that's fixed for me. I think I'll get it and put the phone on a one year contract so I can upgrade more often instead of doing what I have been doing and upgrading every two years. I was mostly worried because of the rumors that Palm almost went out of business and if I got a phone from a company that didn't exist anymore that could have a bad ending.

Still haven't figured out what that chargeable hard case is though lol.
    If you haven't heard Palm is now backed by HP (or will be once the deal goes through) so they are far from going out of business. Just Google news about HP and Palm and you'll see that for yourself.

The Palm is due for a updated model but nobody knows when that will be. The incredible is a newer phone, but the Pre is probably the most under appreciated smartphone currently on the market.

If you read the conventional tech press it would seem as if the phone is horrible. But as has been suggested, go to a store at play with one, better yet, find a buddy who frequents this forum and play with their 'improved' Pre. It can hold it's own against most any phone. Many of the early build quality problems have been resolved in the latest production runs.

Not as many apps but well over 3,000 apps, themes, and patches. You will probably find anything you need. But only you know what your needs are, if you post here you will get a lot of good help from people who use the applications available.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirisuto View Post
    Honestly I was leaning more towards the Pre, I don't need the phone for business use I just want it to replace a computer because of me not being able to get cable internet here. I did see an app for IRC called WIRC so that's fixed for me. I think I'll get it and put the phone on a one year contract so I can upgrade more often instead of doing what I have been doing and upgrading every two years. I was mostly worried because of the rumors that Palm almost went out of business and if I got a phone from a company that didn't exist anymore that could have a bad ending.

Still haven't figured out what that chargeable hard case is though lol.
    I believe the chargeable case is the hard case with the cutout on the back for the Touchstone charger.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  15.    #15  
    I don't actually do much, I've just began school to become an IT but honestly I'm a simple person. I'll be getting the Pre+ Monday or Tuesday depending on when the store is open here as long as the phone meets my basic requirements. These are for it to be able to play online radio, connect to irc with a good program (Gonna try wirc first), stream video from youtube and others. I'm not looking for a phone to replace my computer completely, just one that will replace basic web surfing on it. I'll be looking at those touchstones too.
    internet sharingwise, I just setup my friend's parent's internet sharing with their new Hero's from Sprint using PDAnet..... Holy crap! I have a Pre and I use the Mobile Hotspot, but I was getting 1.3Mbs speeds through a USB 1.1 data connection. That's WAY better than what I get through my phone. I never thought i'd say this,but I may entertain the EVO for a year until HP/Palm cooks up something new.
    oh,and internet was way smoother too... Page scrolling was iphone quality... You won't get that with the Pre. Trust me. And soon Froyo will be out and you'll have Flash. Who knows when we'll get that with the Pre.... Sorry fellow Pre fans, but I'm just sayin.
  18.    #18  
    If Sprint had service near me I'd be going there for the EVO but Verizon is the only carrier near me with 3G. For Sprint I have to drive away for an hour for 3G no telling for 4G and AT&T is just as bad. I wish I could find a good report not just a rumor on Verizon and 4G because if I have to wait two months for a 4G phone I would gladly wait. The mobile hot spot for free is a huge selling point because I like free and it also allows me to download one or two dlc's for my PS3 while also using my computer, but these are not necessities because with a good smart phone I can do any of the simple things I do on my computer and I can always take my PS3 to my buddy's house.

I've looked up a lot of reviews on WebOS and Android and both seem excellent so this is really going to come down to hardware and how the OS feels to me. Either way I do think I'll go with a 1yr contract so I can upgrade sooner.
    I figured out what you meant by chargeable hardcase, I think. See this thread for a review and details.

Sorry, just realized you can't see links yet...look for a thread reviewing the Naztech charger/holster.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"