1.    #1  
    Quick: I need an intervention. The new Iphone is apparently coming out with Skype and Multitask. I love my Palm pre but I am torn.. talk me down...please.
    Another Foxconn worker falls to death in China

These are the people who make all the Apple products. They won't be getting a dime from me over at APPLE. But then again I've despised Apple for years now.

On an up note: Palm Pre Plus on Verizon rox!!! WebOS so beats the ifails interface. Also, why would you want to be on the number 1 dropped call/network usage company in the worlds network?

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Foxconn also produces for HP, so that's not an argument.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    TheVTech, who makes Pres? Are you certain it isn't the same people? (not that i don't have a dislike of apple. Well not apple... jobs. Something just rubs me the wrong way about that freako)

PREferred - multitask? really? have fun... you'll be back in time for the next webos device. i guarantee!

technically, windows mobile 6.5 has better multitasking and you can get skype... but it SUCKS.

Features don't make the phone! The OS does. And WebOS is the best there is. hands down.
    Well I had NOT heard that so if that is the case then YES I will NOT buy another HP or PALM device.

Samsung Fascinate Rooted
  6.    #6  
    People, people, people. Back to my problem.
    Let's please keep the thread on-topic and help the OP out. Any other discussions are welcome to be had in the appropriate forum. Thank you!

-newman
    Anyway...to the problem....get whatever phone fits your needs best. No need to take company sides. Any reason you aren't taking a look at the Evo? (if you are on sprint?)
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 05/28/2010 at 11:09 AM.
    *If* this is true, this might make your decision a little more difficult.
    http://www.thetechupdate.com/iphone-...-buy-confirms/
    wait till September, and make a decision...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVTech View Post
    Well I had NOT heard that so if that is the case then YES I will NOT buy another HP or PALM device.
    Ha ha! That's classic! You'll end up naked on the street with that attitude.
    As for the OP... Jump! Jump! Jump!... Or not.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 05/28/2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Off topic
    ^^Please folks listen to HelloNNNewman

I think you can safely put this on the back burner for the next while until something is released. Even if the new iPhone does do multitasking I can't imagine how it might do it better than the pre can....the gesture area is brilliant and likely heavily protected by patents.

As far as video chat goes...that requires bandwidth and a good network. AT&T doesn't have that yet. Additionally your going to need other people to contact with video chat phones, it's going to take a while for that to reach critical mass.

You don't want the new iPhone right now.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 05/28/2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    why stress about it now? Just wait to see what the new iPhone offers, what carriers it will be on and then decide if you want it that bad.

Personally, I'm sticking with the Pre in hopes that Apple will get so desperate to beat Android sales that they go on all platforms because I'm not leaving sprint.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREferred View Post
    Quick: I need an intervention. The new Iphone is apparently coming out with Skype and Multitask. I love my Palm pre but I am torn.. talk me down...please.
    Go to an AT&T store. Play with an iPhone. If you have friends who have iPhones, convince them to let you play with theirs. Put in some serious playing-around time.

iPhones are fun to play with. They are also extremely well designed - and extremely easy to use. They have a high 'fun factor'. And though a lot of people ***** and whine and moan about Apple's rigid controls over their development of Apps - versus the more 'open' architecture' of Pre's and Android devices - the partial truth is that Apple through its policies has fostered a lot of creativity and utility among its many App developers. There are good reasons why the App store has more Apps than any competing smartphone. Sure, a lot of them are iFart style Apps - but Apple's doing a lot of things right.

So is Palm and Pre. Especially when it comes to look & feel - to how the OS works - to the small and subtle elegant intricacies of why simply USING Web OS is both fun and productive.

A lot of people feel that BOTH iPhones and Pre's are the two 'smartest' smartphones ever made. I agree with this assessment. But when you play around with them, they've got a different feel.

The new iPhone will do many more things than the old one. But it'll still be an iPhone. So ask yourself honestly WHICH OS - and which phone using experience - YOU really enjoy better?

Then let the answer to that question....guide you.

Good luck.

Miguel

P.S. For me it was simple. I LOVE the Pre OS. I also really LIKE the iPhone OS a LOT. But being a former AT&T user and having had too many frustrating experiences with coverage, dropped calls, price gouging and either unresponsive or ignorant customer service, getting an iPhone - and giving more of my money to AT&T - simply was not an option. That was a huge factor for me and it simplified my decision making process. If you like AT&T - or if you can 'stand' them - then your decision may be more complicated.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I have to second MiguelATF's comments. After owning an iPhone for almost 2 years, my dislike for Apple as a company was only re-enforced, but the iPhone is a very sweet device and has a great developer community to back it up.

That been said, although I'm missing a couple of apps with WebOS, I enjoy the experience and UI on WebOS way more than the iPhone - whose UI grew stale on me after about a year or so of use.

Play around with both and determine which you prefer to actually use on a day-to-day basis. Keep in mind what features you want and which you will actually use.
    The only main reason why I wouldn't go for it is because it's too overrated, this means Apple's going to sit back and relax by stretching their legs as they're going to stop bothering at some point. And the iPhone 4GS is release is probably going to put you off as the 3GS did to their 3G users. The reason why iPhone is standing is due to their app store.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    The only main reason why I wouldn't go for it is because it's too overrated, this means Apple's going to sit back and relax by stretching their legs as they're going to stop bothering at some point. And the iPhone 4GS is release is probably going to put you off as the 3GS did to their 3G users. The reason why iPhone is standing is due to their app store.
    Have you seen the leaked pictures? The 4G is COMPLETELY new hardware, all around.. it's nothing like the 3G -> 3Gs bump.