Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys, I'm new here.

But I'm looking for honest answers here; I currently own a SE Satio which is completely useless and am thinking about trading it for either a Pre or the Hero.

I just wanted to ask, besides Pre's good looks and better hardware, what sets the phone apart from the Hero? I've been researching over Google for the past few days and I'm still sceptical and can't decide which one to go for.

I've been looking over the forum and I'm seeing a few complaints about Palm not being very supportive about their phones and that flash compatibility is limited.

I just don't know... please make me come to a conclusion.

Thanks in advance
    Pre. Absolutely the Pre.
    Pre, webOS is amazing. 9% of the time is there ever a point where I need flash. It's not that big of a deal.

Once you use a Pre, you'll realize how ****ty other phones are.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    IMO.. The Pre Hardware is very bad.The OS is very,very Good. The Hero has Great Hardware and good IS. I've had the Pre Since July 09 and I'm gonna get The New HTC Evo 4G. Again this is just my opion.
    Play with both phones in store and see which one you prefer.
    I personally love the pre, it does everything I need it to and is just amazing and entertaining.
    Get the Pre, I got my Pre in June of 09 and the hardware is great, still going strong. With the webOS community you can't go wrong.
    I would suggest the hero. I've owned a webos phone and now own a moment, and the customization on android is crazy. And android is faster, and has more and better apps than the pre. The pre does show off multitasking better than the hero, but that doesn't mean android doesn't multitask. It's just not as in your face as webos.
    I've had both and ended up dropping the Hero like a rock after using webOS on the Pre. Palm have been incredibly supportive - waaaay more than Android devices could ever imagine!
    Android is a larger platform... but it is clunky and not a fluid experience like webOS. Between the two OS's, the Pre is a far superior phone and an addiction once you play with one and see what webOS is really about!

Also... Going from a Pixi to a Hero isn't the same as comparing it to a Pre. Get a Pre.
    There's no such thing as an unbiased answer here, but I say Pre as well.

However, I recommend looking at what YOU want to do with the phone and determine which suits YOUR needs the best. If you're all about Apps, then Android might be for you, if you're more into a smooth intuitive UI, then WebOS and the Pre is where it's at... it's all relative. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    You really need to play with both.
    I would recommend neither. Both can get sluggish and panning between the list of apps on the Pre remains choppy with the regular 500mhz processor.

Do yourself a favor.
    Get a newer smartphone. It pays off just by paying the extra $50.00.
    You'll save yourself numerous hardware exchanges with the Pre and not getting the FroYo update with the Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Get a newer smartphone. It pays off just by paying the extra $50.00.
    yea, this is what i should have said.
  12.    #12  
    I do prefer the Pre to the Hero but I'm just concerned about the app support, e.g. can I find a decent sat nav app on the phone or games that uses the Open GL 2.0 functionality. I've played about with both phones but it really is hard to decide and it kinda depends on which company provides the most support.

To be honest I didn't think the Palm was all that good until I had a play about with the phone myself, I don't like the fact that the phone is downgraded in terms of it's popularity, which is why I really want to go for it, but that's me being me.

I still can't decide, I love doing social networking, but on the other hand I'd like some third party apps to support the entertainment.

And by looking at the hardware OMAP3430 supports HD recording so why isn't that implemented? I don't understand how the camera quality is poor with such hardware.
    Last edited by bawezy; 05/27/2010 at 06:21 PM.
    I have both phones in my household.
    I have the Pre (since Oct 09) and my father has the Hero (since Dec 09).
    (I just recently installed Android 2.1 on the Hero)
    Having played with both phones, I have to say I like android browser a lot better then the pre. Navigating around programs and such on is way easier on WebOS, though androids widgets are very useful. Something I wish WebOS had.

Right now. Based on my opinion I see functionality and ease of use of Android 2.1+ is equal to WebOS1.4.1.

Now as far a Hero vs Pre goes. The Pre would win hands down in speed. It is just an all around faster device especially when it comes to running more then one application at once. Build quality would go to the Hero, no questions asked. Right now I am on my 3rd pre. The Power button failed on my first one and it had a sever case of the "oreo" effect. My second one just gave out last week. Out of the blue, the speaker just stop fractioning completely and over time the paint or whatever on the back cover started chipping off. My father is still on his original hero from Dec.

I if was in your shoes I would buy a Pre over a hero at this point in time.
    But for me (personally). If I had the opportunity to have a fast processor on an android based phone with solid build quality I would go for that (ie. Evo4g).
    Only you can decide that . I have the PRE and have played with the HERO and I honeslty cant recommnd the PRE to anyone, just too many issues. Sometimes I want to throw my PRE at a wall . WEBOS is great but the PRE isnt a great phone, too problematic. I just got my son a phopne and had to choose a Centro or a Pre ( or pixi) . I went with the Centro.

Hopefully the next WEB OS phone will be better. Did you consider the EVO. Might be a little big for some . I am trying it out next week. Android seems kind of popular. Guess I will give it a spin.
    Webos is aweseome, and with a few very easy to apply patches you can make it yours in all kinds of ways. The 800mhz patch addresses anybodys claim of it being a slow device.

I havn't experienced all of these 'hardware' issues that everyone seems to complain about. The slider mechanism doesnt feel super secure, but i don't baby my phone at all and its held up really well so far.

I should also say, dont underestimate the value of multitasking. even if the pre were slightly slower at times then another piece of hardware, the fact you can start an app or load a webpage and zip around to text someone or do something else in the meantime and come back to it fully loaded for you completely makes up for it.

I vote pre.
  16.    #16  
    The EVO is an American release, it's not out in the UK. Even if it was it's a little too over the budget for a Satio trade.

So Pre for the hardware...
    Hero for the build...

I would currently prefer build as I won't be able to stand having to wait for replacements.
    I do appreciate your help guys, though I may go for the Hero and see what their next update have to offer. I would definitely trade back for a Pre if I'm unhappy.

Thanks again guys, you may see me back on here in the future.

Only thing that may change my mind is Open GL 2.0 support and Sat nav apps.
    Sorry didnt catch you were in the UK.
    Also PRE for the HArdware ?? the PRE hardware has been the problem. Its PRE for WEB OS. WEB OS is better then any other operating system in my opinion but its still slightly buggy and the hardware is terrible. My phone is a shambles. )cracks, power button unresponzive , oreo effect etc) Alot of people have hardware issues. Pre is a great OS in a shoddy not well built device.

Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    The EVO is an American release, it's not out in the UK. Even if it was it's a little too over the budget for a Satio trade.

Hero for the build...

I would currently prefer build as I won't be able to stand having to wait for replacements.
    I do appreciate your help guys, though I may go for the Hero and see what their next update have to offer. I would definitely trade back for a Pre if I'm unhappy.

Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/27/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post

Hero for the build...

Why not get a htc desire?
    I can say get the Pre or Pixi in a biased and non-biased opinion.
    BIASED: GET THE PRE BECAUSE THE OS IS F**KING AWSOME AND ANDROID SUCKS TESTICULARS

NON-BIASED: The Pre's os, webOS, has the easiest multitasking you will ever see on a mobile device. The Pre also doens't have the best hardware, not bad, but not the best. The keyboard on the Pre is good, and the Hero doesn't even have the hardware kerboard. Overall I say the OS is the most important part of the phone, and on that note, I say....

GET THE PRE
    You in the UK, not the US? In that case there's even less reason to get the Hero. If you really want Android, there's a lot more better choices then Hero. HTC has released a truck load of phones since the Hero release.

That said, you came here to ask how everyone loves webOS, right? Yes, it is down right amazing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast