Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    I do prefer the Pre to the Hero but I'm just concerned about the app support, e.g. can I find a decent sat nav app on the phone or games that uses the Open GL 2.0 functionality. I've played about with both phones but it really is hard to decide and it kinda depends on which company provides the most support.

To be honest I didn't think the Palm was all that good until I had a play about with the phone myself, I don't like the fact that the phone is downgraded in terms of it's popularity, which is why I really want to go for it, but that's me being me.

I still can't decide, I love doing social networking, but on the other hand I'd like some third party apps to support the entertainment.

And by looking at the hardware OMAP3430 supports HD recording so why isn't that implemented? I don't understand how the camera quality is poor with such hardware.
    The two phones/devices are totally dissimilar.
    The PRE has a more slick and intuitive interface and OS. It's much easier to use and much more intuitively logical.

The Hero - as most Android phones - has a number of bells and whistles - but lacks a unified central software approach. People who like customizing their PC's tend to like Androids. People who like having simple elegant powerful out-of-the-box phones/OS's tend to like the Pre's.

Don't forget: the PRE UI (User Interface) and OS (Operating System) were designed by a bunch of former Apple Execs, designers and engineers. Until the Pre came along, the iPhone was probably the most intuitive, easy and 'fun' phone to use. PRE does most of the things iPhones do a little better.

Of course, iPhones are significantly better when it comes to the sheer number of Apps available. Part of that is because of Apple's design and product integration philosophies - whether you love Apple or hate them, they've put a lot of thought and energy into coming up with a product that is intuitive and easy to use.

The downside with most/many Android phones is that the Apps tend to behave in different ways - and keep running whenver they want to. If you have an Android phone, it's mandatory to get an App-Killer App - to turn off all your Apps you didn't know were still running. That - coupled with the fragmentation of the Android OS - the fact that different wireless carriers have different versions of Android OS running on different hardware platforms - and the fact that Android phones are challenging to run OS updates on - probably means that you need to be more of a serious hardcore power user - and have some technical savoir-faire - to really get the most out of an Android phone.

Not so with the PRE. It's easy and fun to use whether you're a hard-core techie - a serious nerd - or just an ordinary human being.

So back to your quesiton - Pre or Hero. It depends on which YOU like more. Play around with both and trust your instincts.

One final point. I think in one of your posts you mentioned a desire to use your new phone as a gaming platform. Well, I hate to say it but if that's important to you - then go get an iPhone. The sheer amount of cool Games that are available for the iPhones - and are being developed and supported for both iPhones AND iPods - means that iPhone is the phone gamer's platform of choice. Which is ironic in a way when you consider that for years, Mac desktops and laptops were always 2nd class gamers compared to PC's. But if you're into using your phone for gaming, iPhones are the best software/hardware platform.

Good luck with your decision.

Miguel

P.S. There are a number of well-documented horror stories about Pre's hardware and 'build' problems - most of which I think had to do with the Pre's that were sold/shipped in mid-to-late 2009. I have a new Pre from Sprint that I bought a few weeks ago which so far exhibits none of the earlier hardware/build complaints of former Pre's. My guess is that Pre QC/Quality Control is getting better. HTC has a good rep for making solid handsets/phones so probably the Hero may be more solid - but based on my own unscientific personal experience, the new Pre's seem like very solidly built devices.

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
  2.    #22  
    Thanks, nice answer. Overall Hero and Pre are both iPhone killers IMO and the iPhone is a little too expensive for what it's worth, I would rather keep my Satio than get an iPhone but the initial decision here was the Pre or Hero, I do know there are a lot of Android phones released here like the X10, Desire, Nexus One and soon the Galaxy S. But my budget is around 150 range so roughly $200.

I definitely would have went for the Pre if there were a lot more apps available, in that case I'm going to have to go for the Hero. I think I need to wait until Palm/webOS gets more popular when they choose to bring out new devices.
    at this point I'd wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    Don't forget: the PRE UI (User Interface) and OS (Operating System) were designed by a bunch of former Apple Execs, designers and engineers. Until the Pre came along, the iPhone was probably the most intuitive, easy and 'fun' phone to use. PRE does most of the things iPhones do a little better.
    Well considering the recent news, I think Google is going to have some surprises in Gingerbread, now that Palm's lead OS designs is on the Google team.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    at this point I'd wait.
    Not a bad move either. But I don't think a new WebOS phone is coming out this year, so I think the decision will still be Pre vs Newer Android Device.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Apart from the assertion that using a task killer with Android is "mandatory" (it isn't), I think Miguel's post is one of the best I've seen at describing the core difference between webOS and Android. I would only add that webOS still doesn't compare well with Android when it comes to PIM functionality. Hopefully this will change someday soon, but Android is a better platform for productivity and time management at this time.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I do prefer the Pre to the Hero but I'm just concerned about the app support, e.g. can I find a decent sat nav app on the phone or games that uses the Open GL 2.0 functionality. I've played about with both phones but it really is hard to decide and it kinda depends on which company provides the most support.

To be honest I didn't think the Palm was all that good until I had a play about with the phone myself, I don't like the fact that the phone is downgraded in terms of it's popularity, which is why I really want to go for it, but that's me being me.

I still can't decide, I love doing social networking, but on the other hand I'd like some third party apps to support the entertainment.

And by looking at the hardware OMAP3430 supports HD recording so why isn't that implemented? I don't understand how the camera quality is poor with such hardware.
    If I read this right you're talking about apps on the Pre, which I don't understand. It comes with Sprint Navigation, which is great GPS navigation (better than Google Maps nav in my opinion, and I have used both). 3D gaming is big on the Pre and growing fast, but basically non-existant on the Hero. It's true that Android will be getting quality 3D games in the future with the NDK that's been introduced, but I don't expect the Hero to ever be able to run them. Most Android games are puzzle games, etc, that don't have fancy graphics.

Overall, I'd recommend you get the Pre. I own both the Pre and the Hero (I've had the Pre since July, got the Hero in Feb. for my wife). After a couple of months, my wife didn't like the Hero much, so we got the Pixi for her, which she loves. I've used the Hero lots, and it just isn't as nice on the OS side. I also don't think it will ever see an official update again from HTC, which is a stark contrast to Palm who seems committed to keeping all of their devices up to date with the latest OS versions.

Out of curiousity, what sort of apps are you looking for that aren't available on WebOS? It beats Android for gaming hands down, and, in my opinion, for social networking as well.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    Apart from the assertion that using a task killer with Android is "mandatory" (it isn't), I think Miguel's post is one of the best I've seen at describing the core difference between webOS and Android. I would only add that webOS still doesn't compare well with Android when it comes to PIM functionality. Hopefully this will change someday soon, but Android is a better platform for productivity and time management at this time.
    I sort of agree here and sort of not. After trying to switch from WebOS to Android for a couple of weeks, I've discovered that I can't stand the Android calendar, and that I much prefer the contacts app on WebOS with type to search functionality and easy profile linking.

I'm not a hardcore productivity/business user, though, so I don't live in a calendar and tasks, etc.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    If I read this right you're talking about apps on the Pre, which I don't understand. It comes with Sprint Navigation, which is great GPS navigation (better than Google Maps nav in my opinion, and I have used both). 3D gaming is big on the Pre and growing fast, but basically non-existant on the Hero. It's true that Android will be getting quality 3D games in the future with the NDK that's been introduced, but I don't expect the Hero to ever be able to run them. Most Android games are puzzle games, etc, that don't have fancy graphics.

Overall, I'd recommend you get the Pre. I own both the Pre and the Hero (I've had the Pre since July, got the Hero in Feb. for my wife). After a couple of months, my wife didn't like the Hero much, so we got the Pixi for her, which she loves. I've used the Hero lots, and it just isn't as nice on the OS side. I also don't think it will ever see an official update again from HTC, which is a stark contrast to Palm who seems committed to keeping all of their devices up to date with the latest OS versions.

Out of curiousity, what sort of apps are you looking for that aren't available on WebOS? It beats Android for gaming hands down, and, in my opinion, for social networking as well.
    I currently am in the need of a Sat nav application with voice guidance, and I wouldn't count Sprint's as one as that has limitations and is only available in the US. When I say sat nav apps I mean something like nDrive or Sygic, etc not the crappy network provided ones. I don't mind gaming but I would also prefer a 5mp camera to a 3mp.
    I currently am in the need of a Sat nav application with voice guidance, and I wouldn't count Sprint's as one as that has limitations and is only available in the US. When I say sat nav apps I mean something like nDrive or Sygic, etc not the crappy network provided ones. I don't mind gaming but I would also prefer a 5mp camera to a 3mp.
    Now, your profile says your from London, and assuming your on 02 and looking to renew your contract, the HTC desire is 99 pounds. So instead of getting a hero, I would really consider the desire.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    HTC Desire? Like I said, do yourself a favor and get a newer smartphone by dishing out like $50.00 or euros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    HTC Desire? Like I said, do yourself a favor and get a newer smartphone by dishing out like $50.00 or euros.
    Whats better than the Desire that's out over in England yet?
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Whats better than the Desire that's out over in England yet?
    I think it's one of the top UK android phones... cause it's built like the nexus one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I think it's one of the top UK android phones... cause it's built like the nexus one.
    They do have the Sony Ericsson X10 but the Racheal UI is ugly and slow on top of android. And for some odd reason runs android 1.6!!!! They really do know how to mess something up.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    They do have the Sony Ericsson X10 but the Racheal UI is ugly and slow on top of android. And for some odd reason runs android 1.6!!!! They really do know how to mess something up.
    X10 have an update coming out that's going to have a Timescape UI refresh, upgrade to 2.1 and a 720p recording functionality. But I would recommend not to buy an SE phone ever! As mentioned from the start of my topic I said I own an SE Satio which is pretty good and carries the same hardware as the Pre but SE's customer service sucks and they tend to ditch software support very quickly. I made a mistake buying SE the company isn't the same anymore they just want to make up for their loss buy using their own customers as guinea pigs.

On that note like I said I own a Satio and I'm not on O2 I'm on 3 network my next upgrade isn't for 12 months but there are trade/exchange stores around that would switch your phone straight away and my phone is only worth the Pre/Hero mark. When the Satio came out it was worth around $500 now it's price dropped to $200 due to lack of Software support and the amount of bugs they have. So I'm now very picky about what phone I want to get.

I would definitely prefer the Pre but I'm an old Symbian user that's used to carrying a lot of apps around. I also need a proper Sat nav app that works, upgrading to HTC Desire is out of the question; I don't have the budget and X10 as I said carries a horrible brand.
    Last edited by bawezy; 05/29/2010 at 06:16 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12