Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure if this is the proper place but....yesterday I was comparing the two different running apps while on my evening jog and I was also streaming music on Pandora and all of a sudden I answered a call for a brief chat and went right back to streaming Pandora and testing out the running apps.....can your I phone do that?
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I know while in ipod mode it can, not sure about pandora.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by soloque View Post
    Not sure if this is the proper place but....yesterday I was comparing the two different running apps while on my evening jog and I was also streaming music on Pandora and all of a sudden I answered a call for a brief chat and went right back to streaming Pandora and testing out the running apps.....can your I phone do that?
    Well, yeah my iphone can. But that's pretty basic stuff. You really didn't know?
    itunes can, pandora can't. iPhone only "multi-tasks" amongst the standard iphone apps. Phone/iTunes/Browser/Contacts/etc. Even then it's more like task swapping like we did on DOS PCs with Software Carousel.
    Well, yeah, if you don't jailbreak. But that would be similar to not using preware on the Pre.
    Isn't this all a moot point in less than 30 days, jailbreak or not? Time to come up with another lame example in the quest for device superiority.
    Beginning next month, yes it can.

Actually, at the latest Apple event when they introduced iOS4, Pandora, Skype and a few others gave demos of how they're making use of multitasking:

Apple - QuickTime - April 2010 Apple Special Event – Fast forward to 18:00 if you don't want to watch the entire thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Beginning next month, yes it can.

Actually, at the latest Apple event when they introduced iOS4, Pandora, Skype and a few others gave demos of how they're making use of multitasking:

Apple - QuickTime - April 2010 Apple Special Event Fast forward to 18:00 if you don't want to watch the entire thing.
    So if you have an iPhone/iPod right now not running the beta OS4, no it can't.

After June, if you have an iPhone 2G, or 3G, no it can't. But if you have a 3GS (with OS 4) or 4 (HD), then yes.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    ur cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    So if you have an iPhone/iPod right now not running the beta OS4, no it can't.

After June, if you have an iPhone 2G, or 3G, no it can't. But if you have a 3GS (with OS 4) or 4 (HD), then yes.
    What are we comparing here? Hardware, or software? If you REALLY want to compare hardware ... we can.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What are we comparing here? Hardware, or software? If you REALLY want to compare hardware ... we can.
    I wasn't comparing anything. I just stating that multitasking will only be available on OS4 on the 3GS and newer. The 3G and 2G do not get multitasking. 2G doesn't even get OS4 for that matter.

I wasn't comparing anything. I just stating that multitasking will only be available on OS4 on the 3GS and newer. The 3G and 2G do not get multitasking. 2G doesn't even get OS4 for that matter.
    Your point is still moot.
    Actually you're equating OS4 with the starting point of iPhone multi-tasking when the current iPhone OS 3 can multi-task. The short answer to the OP is iPhone can do this today with "home brewing."

And while we're on that subject - iPhone's Jailbreaking experience is much better than the Pre's Homebrew experience. Easier to do, more options, tons more software available, better integrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Actually you're equating OS4 with the starting point of iPhone multi-tasking when the current iPhone OS 3 can multi-task. The short answer to the OP is iPhone can do this today with "home brewing."

And while we're on that subject - iPhone's Jailbreaking experience is much better than the Pre's Homebrew experience. Easier to do, more options, tons more software available, better integrated.
    I wasn't factoring in jailbreaking. My bad. But also OS3 multitasking is limited to only very specific Apple applications, which does not include pandora (unless you jailbreak).

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I think it's a shame Palm nailed Multitasking from the start because it's made them (and the fans) so complacent towards all the other problems.

Multitasking is more important than dependable hardware. Multitasking is more important than timely OS updates or new features. Multitasking is even more important than having quality apps to Multitask between.

If Palm/Fans is ever challenged with how it compares with 2010 devices it's the same answer. "..but we can Multitask!". And while that's true, it isn't enough to reach success in such a competitive field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Multitasking is more important than dependable hardware. Multitasking is more important than timely OS updates or new features. Multitasking is even more important than having quality apps to Multitask between.
    I am going to have to disagree with you there. If the hardware doesn't work, you can't multitask. At the same time, great hardware doesn't mean anything if you don't have software to manipulate it.

Multitasking is great, but WebOS still has some large flaws that need to be fixed. Multitasking does not make random reboots ok or memory leaks making it impossible to run some games while all other apps are closed. Again this goes back to quality software. WebOS certainly has style and multitasking down, but other parts of the OS need a good deal of work.

Quote Originally Posted by soloque View Post
    ..I was also streaming music ...and...I answered a call .....can your I phone do that?
    like the other guy said. A Moot point in a few days.

The other thing is this back and forth is futile. You were streaming with pandora. fine. But you'll just have iphone users running off a list of a 10000 apps not on WebOS that they can use on their phones and you can't even before you get to the moot point of whether you can use said app and answer a call. And honestly. For example they could say, I'm listening to music while scanning a barcode with red laser. Can you do that? Or I'm listening to music while i buy stock with my Etrade App. Can your Pre do that?

Besides, if i'm answering a call i don't need to listen to Pandora at the exact same time. So my question wouldn't be can your Iphone do that but rather do i even want to listen to pandora and make a phone call at the same time? No. not really.
    The example you gave about answering a call while listening to Pandora is a terrible one because it works the same way on the iPhone.

If you're in Pandora and get a phone call, you answer, hang up then go back into Pandora and it picks up right where you left off –*no different than how it's handled on WebOS.
    Does the iPhone get free OTA OS updates that includes added features (eg, not just bug fixes)? No considerations for jailbreaking as most iPhone users don't know how to do it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast