Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Iphone needs a pc/wifi to download any and all large files from app cat, pre doesn't. Iphone needs pc for OS updates, pre doesn't. Not sure if those limitations are per at&t or apple, but they suck.

Jailbreaking the iphone isn't all that great, when they release a new OS update it always breaks the jailbreak and you have to wait.....lame!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Iphone needs a pc/wifi to download any and all large files from app cat, pre doesn't.
    Um, why is turning on Wifi such a bad thing when I want to download a large app?
    Because if don't have WiFi access, you're screwed.

I download all my apps while at the beach, sipping drinks with little umbrellas in them.
    The apps for the iphone aren't downloaded over the 3G data connection?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    The apps for the iphone aren't downloaded over the 3G data connection?
    I have about 60 apps downloaded - mostly productivity apps and resources - and the only one for which I needed WiFi was dictionary.com's dictionary - just too large for the 3G.
    Last edited by finngirl; 06/01/2010 at 12:45 AM.
    Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Really?
    Really. Ask me an app; I can check it.

The first (and only, so far) time that came up--i.e. an app wouldn't download and referred me to WiFi--I was flummoxed and not sure how to do it by WiFi.

I don't think, at that time, I had even used my phone by WiFi yet, so it took me a few to figure out what to do.

I have not needed to connect to WiFi since for an app.

And in response to someone else's comment upthread about getting OTA updates with features (vs. bug fixes), while I plug in for software updates, they have all had features in them. As someone who has an older iPhone (3G) I was pleased to get most of the 3GS features added to the software when that update came out.
    Do you need to Jailbreak in order to download the apps over 3G?
    Just call me Berd.
    No, you can download apps up to 20MB over 3G. Jailbreaking and installing something like My3G removes that limit.
    If I felt comfortable jail-breaking, I would have kept our Pre. Seemed like most of the solutions to our problems with our Pre would have been fixed with that.
    I don't have the Pre.

I'm still debating between the Pre and iPhone.

I'm just researching what or what I won't be able to do with one or the other.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Iphone needs a pc/wifi to download any and all large files from app cat, pre doesn't. Iphone needs pc for OS updates, pre doesn't. Not sure if those limitations are per at&t or apple, but they suck.

Jailbreaking the iphone isn't all that great, when they release a new OS update it always breaks the jailbreak and you have to wait.....lame!!
    you only wait a good day or so, the ipad was hack in less than a week. And wat the preware stuff also needs to be updated to the new update. Some you do some you don't, but some you do have to remove before the update.

you threw in a double edge sword in the battle and got poked by it
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12