Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. jmad328is's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #1  
    i used to use an itouch before i got the the pre, though it wasnt mine, and i liked it a lot. i bought one today because there hasnt been much exciting from palm recently and i wanted to check out some of the apps that we didnt have access to yet, more games mostly. However i bought one today and the UI felt clunky compared to webos and the app store was filled with a million app clones of eachother and all of the free apps were trials, except for a few productivity type apps i really didnt feel like i was missing much so i returned it. Has anyone else had this experience after using webos for a while then switching back to iphone os? I really dont know why people say its so much better
  2. #2  
    I think one of the most important pieces of fallout from the whole acquisition drama has been the general recognition of the quality of webOS. I've seen many, many people (all but the most rabid iPhone fans, really) who recognize that webOS is the best mobile OS out there. I don't really know of many people (again, aside from the most rabid Apple fans) who say that the iPhone OS (and, that includes 4.0) is all that great--it's always about the apps.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmad328is View Post
    i used to use an itouch before i got the the pre, though it wasnt mine, and i liked it a lot. i bought one today because there hasnt been much exciting from palm recently and i wanted to check out some of the apps that we didnt have access to yet, more games mostly. However i bought one today and the UI felt clunky compared to webos and the app store was filled with a million app clones of eachother and all of the free apps were trials, except for a few productivity type apps i really didnt feel like i was missing much so i returned it. Has anyone else had this experience after using webos for a while then switching back to iphone os? I really dont know why people say its so much better
    yea. i too had an ipod touch. after i bought my pre i just could'nt deal with apple's ui so i gave it to my girlfriend. i would LOVE to see palm get into the mp3 player market. their ui is just so simple and damn sexy!. As for apps, id much rather take quality over quanity any day. at the moment, tha app catalog has sufficent apps i just cant wait to see it flourish.
  4. LNWJ's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    #4  
    I was given an iPod Touch a few months before I got my Pre last year. Since I have gotten the Pre, my iPod Touch sits next to the john and only gets used in there.

  5. jmad328is's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #5  
    I guess well just have to wait and see what the pdk and then hybrid apps bring to the table. I am not a developer but ive heard that the apps are pretty easy to port over from iphone os. heres to hoping that with a few more api's and better tools our app catalog will start growing at a faster rate. I honestly hope we dont start getting hundreds of stupid apps that clone eachother like fart apps on android. gives you numbers but they mean nothing. love the tag btw
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    I was given an iPod Touch a few months before I got my Pre last year. Since I have gotten the Pre, my iPod Touch sits next to the john and only gets used in there.

    right where it belongs!
  7. #7  
    jobs is a tool
  8. #8  
    u guys can hate as much as u want on apple but their simple genius has gotten them many places. i have owned an ipod touch and it got stolen =/. the guy who said its about the apps is right because it has lack of an intuitive os, its more like a pre with just the app launcher and no gestures
  9. #9  
    I wouldn't say "genius", but I would say "great marketing".
  10. #10  
    The ipod is single-handedly responsible for turning me into a runner.
  11. #11  
    As much as I despise Apple, they do have great ideas AND great marketing. Try to imagine what the mp3 player and smartphone market would look like without iPod/iPhone. There's no denying their impact. They openned the doors and of course others came along improved on their ideas. With no iPhone, the Pre definately wouldn't be what it is today.
  12. #12  
    they sell nearly 8 million phones every quarter. They don't care what OS is best cause people aren't buying just for an OS. Which OS is better is a small piece of the puzzle and utterly subjective. And the idea that all the free apps are trials is factually not even close to accurate. But let's be clear. There are tons more useful apps for the ipod touch then for Palm. Palm hasn't released an app from anyone i've ever herd of since the Facebook app. and if you truly "bought one today because there hasnt been much exciting from palm" i gotta question your sanity especially if you're upset with it the same day. I mean you knew what you were buy from past use. Why the hell did you even buy it? Oh palm hasn't done anything. just seems a lame reason to buy an ipod touch and then complain about it.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    and if you truly "bought one today because there hasnt been much exciting from palm" i gotta question your sanity especially if you're upset with it the same day. I mean you knew what you were buy from past use. Why the hell did you even buy it?
    I totally don't buy the OP's premise either. I get the OP doesn't like OS, but the story presented is a stretch.
  14. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I totally don't buy the OP's premise either. I get the OP doesn't like OS, but the story presented is a stretch.
    I'll preface this by saying I wouldn't recommend an iPod Touch OR an iPhone to ANYONE now considering iPhone OS 4 has yet to reveal everything that will be changing with the platform so I'm glad he "returned it". But I got the same vibe about the OP's "story".

    "However i bought one today and the UI felt clunky compared to webos and the app store was filled with a million app clones of eachother and all of the free apps were trials, except for a few productivity type apps i really didnt feel like i was missing much so i returned it."

    His complaints just seem a bit too "on the nose" with the people who feel the only way to make WebOS feel more competitive is to lower the bar and shoot down the opposition. I mean, who goes through an app search and complains "there's too many choices"? I use 90% free apps because I'm a super cheap-o so his "all the free apps were trials" thing doesn't make sense.

    There's nothing wrong with trying out other products to get personal validation on why you should stick with the platform you prefer, but let's not make up stuff on our way out because if the iPhone has ANY undisputable advantage over the competition it's the App catalog.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I use 90% free apps because I'm a super cheap-o so his "all the free apps were trials" thing doesn't make sense.


    Hah! I didn't even catch that part. I have three paid apps out of about 50 and NONE of them are free trials. No one who actually uses an iPod Touch/iPhone would make that statement.

    And even if they were? who would have downloaded enough to figure that out?


    OP is the worst kind of fan - boy: he makes stuff up to make himself feel better.
  16. #16  
    I bought my ipod touch more than a year ago and I really love how responsive the screen is and how simple it was to use. When i got my Palm Pre about 9 months ago, I realize how much better WebOS is, but it still has long ways to go (polish wise). In reality the Ipod Touch is absolutely great for games and as a music player, while the Palm Pre is better at everything else IMHP.

Posting Permissions