Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was messing around with my friend's iPhone a couple days ago, and I really was unimpressed. Granted there are much more apps vs the Pre's 2.5k, but that really didn't impress me. I felt like the only thing the iPhone has over my Pre is better battery life and better network coverage (AT&T vs Sprint). Well, maybe the apps load faster than my Pre's but I don't really mind since I can leave mine open forever.

Has anyone else touched an iPhone and still preferred their Pre? It really made me feel alot better about webOS and it's future vs iPhone OS.
    I definitely like the Pre better, and when I show it to my iPhone friends they are blown away.

The only thing I don't agree on is battery. I don't think the iPhone is any better. They tend to choose restaurants and meeting locations based on where they know they can plug in their phones... I can just swap my battery...
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I Had both the original and 3G iPhone. WebOS is miles better than the iPhone OS. Battery is basically the same and Sprint is much better here in LA (and cheaper).

The only thing I miss is the MLB app. I suspect that once the SDK can do hybrid apps we'll start to see these issues go away with the backing/pushing of HP.
    I agree that the apps on the iphone load/run better. Aside from that, the only diff that matters to me are the quality/quantity of the apps.
    The iphone has had a few years headstart in the game.
    I think palm should have released the pdk same time as the pre.

As far as the battery life, I think the iphone is a little better.
    But for the iphone,the only option is to charge it.
    With my pre, I just swap out a fully charged batt.(1350mAh $6 on ebay)

Great coverage from Sprint in Hawaii. Better/cheaper then att.

But the overall form and function of the Pre/Webos...it's pritty damn sexy.
    I'll take the Pre over the iphone any day.
    Last edited by rigatoni1374; 05/25/2010 at 06:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    WebOS beats iPhone hands down.
    *waves hand frantically* Ooo ooo, Miss Clifton!! Miss Clifton!! Miss Clifton!! Over here!!!

Yep, I used the iPhone for one day then returned it to my friend. Keyboard doesn't work, push mail doesn't work, browsing was slow, reception was horrible (vs. my single band UMTS Nokia E51 when the iPhone has two bands), I can go on all day. I rather use an old black and white Blackberry rather than one of those POS.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I love Family Guy!!! and The Pre` and Webos. I just showed an iphone user webos and all the great homebrew stuff. he is pretty tech savvy and was blown away.
    This is definitely not the place to find an unbiased answer to your question. Anyway, I like WebOS a lot more than Iphone OS, I just wish Palm would get things together and start throwing some good hardware at us.
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Silly question for these forums. If we preferred iphones, that's what we'd be using and commenting on. How anybody could prefer that thing over the elegance and openness of webos is beyond me. I guess some people like simple, yet cumbersome, pointy-clickey appliances that they have no control over. How many clicks does it take to....
    : (){:|:&};:
    I prefer webos than iphone. But it's extremely important that Palm or Hp make a stronger and faster device. Does anyone now any app similar to aroundme? Ty
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    People dismiss Apps as if they're just another feature checkbox. But Apps is a major function of smartphones. So no matter how good WebOS, Android or WinMo7 is, if it doesn't have a solid app catalog then I can't get excited over it.

That said, I still carry my old iphone and tether it to the Pre because WebOS is missing just about every app I need to keep me productive/entertained.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    People dismiss Apps as if they're just another feature checkbox. But Apps is a major function of smartphones. So no matter how good WebOS, Android or WinMo7 is, if it doesn't have a solid app catalog then I can't get excited over it.

That said, I still carry my old iphone and tether it to the Pre because WebOS is missing just about every app I need to keep me productive/entertained.

I prefer WebOS to iPhone OS but your comments are "on target" about apps, though not 100%. For example, outside of editing Office documents, the apps I miss on my Pre, but are available on the the iPhone, are those that require feature sets that aren't currently available on WebOS devices (voice dialing, compass etc...) I'd say the biggest advantage the iPhone has over WebOS isn't the apps themselves, its the API's that allow the apps to be developed in the first place. If Palm/HP can open up more APIs and add voice dialing features and a compass, the apps will take care of themselves - something exhibited by quality of the apps we currently have despite the limited APIs made available.

Fair comments, but 'different strokes for different folks' as they say. Some of what some people can't live without is not important to me. For example, Documents to Go is mentioned by many. I've had it on every device I've owned for years and realized I never used it for anything more than viewing documents. So while I might get it if it were available, I don't really NEED it like some others do.

I'm more about business than entertainment, my game collection is limited to Word games like Boggle or Scrabble. 3D games are not important to me.

When a cool new app comes out, I'll check it out, but like most people (even iPhone users) we all settle on a few apps, or a few dozen at most and the balance of the 3K (or 100K in Apple's case) go unused and even unexplored.
    I'm not a big app user so it doesn't bother going from one os to the other. Most apps are useless crap anyway. I think that an app store should have categories for each need, such as say flash light apps. Instead of having 50 different apps for the same thing clogging up the store they should just take the top 3 or 5 and let the app creators compete fir those spots.

but that would lower the number of apps to something more managable and realistic, which unfortunately aren't big selling words.

IMHO webOS is head and shoulders above every other os I've used. It is still not perfect, but I think once enough people give it a chance it will be unstopable.

Apps really are the only reason the iPhone is what it is. It sells phones because of apps. You never see an iPhone commercial that talks about built in features of the OS. No one cares.

This is why WebOs (with HP's help) will always be leaps and bounds ahead of iPhone OS.

As for apps on WebOs, I have no reason to be disappointed. I have all the fart apps I need.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Ha, was that your first official act? you should take a screen shot and frame it... or make it your Pre wall paper.

Congrats, by the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treiz View Post
    Most apps are useless crap anyway. I think that an app store should have categories for each need, such as say flash light apps. Instead of having 50 different apps for the same thing clogging up the store they should just take the top 3 or 5 and let the app creators compete fir those spots.

Really? You think the app store should make that decision for the consumer??

Personally, I think its great to have 30 different flashlight apps to look at (presuming you have an easy way to look at them) and based on ratings, whether it is free or not, and features, meets your needs.
    hmm.. may b u should ask, who doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Apps really are the only reason the iPhone is what it is. It sells phones because of apps. You never see an iPhone commercial that talks about built in features of the OS. No one cares.

This is why WebOs (with HP's help) will always be leaps and bounds ahead of iPhone OS.

As for apps on WebOs, I have no reason to be disappointed. I have all the fart apps I need.
    It's not just apps, apps, and apps. For better or for worse, iPhone is more than a product name, but also a standard for a smooth and intuitive experience where stuff just works. WebOS, while intuitive, is not smooth as of yet with the OS comparatively slow, video recording glitchy, picture albums laggy, and stutters and memory issues across the OS.

Apple's experience hides all of that away so users don't have to manage memory before and after playing a 3D game, or so that they can easily swipe through photos albums or let friends do it rather than having to wait for each individual picture to render. Video recording works instead of having random freezes, glitches, and pauses. It was polished from day one, and every time Apple adds a feature like video recording, it, too, is polished. WebOS cannot say the same.

Now, Apple's "multitasking" is as clunky as they come, but when it hits the public, almost no one will be compelled to jailbreak their device to install a Jstop equivalent to eliminate "errors". And you can bet no one is going to go to start an iPhone app and have the device tell them they need to close some programs first if THEY HAVE NONE OPEN.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast