Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    iPhone 4 is pretty slick i have to admit and i'm jealous of the battery ilfe and just better stability of the platform.

But thats why i'm also getting rid of my Pre. I'll probably be back if HP/Palm catch up to whats out on the market now in terms of overall power of the OS....but right now its missing too many basic features that i kinda hopped would come. THey did a great job in a year, and homebrew filled in a lot of the cracks, but its clear if the company wasn't in the shape it was in, they would've sat on WebOS for another year before releasing it.
    I guess by now, most, or all know that I'm a die hard webos fanatic

Iphone/andriod you heard me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Bandwagon? The Pre sales number might be considered a bandwagon. The iPhone is more like a band supertanker or band continent. 40 million people is, in general, just a little more than a wagon, wouldn't you say?
    I think you're missing his point. Redefining "bandwagon" in this context as something bigger than "wagon" merely makes his point for him:

From The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language:
    bandˇwagˇon
    1. An elaborately decorated wagon used to transport musicians in a parade.
    2. Informal A cause or party that attracts increasing numbers of adherents: young voters climbing aboard the party's bandwagon.
    3. Informal A current trend: "Even brand-name [drug] companies . . . have jumped on the generics bandwagon" (Beth Howard).

(and yes, it's an older post I'm responding to, but out of those I saw, I thought this one to be one of the more ironic...)
    WebOS forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    palm will lead the way, and apple will follow as usual.
    Truth be told; WebOs is the FAR superior operating system as far as phones go. I just don't know how you can call a glorified MP3 player a superior mobile device.....? Apple has always been designed for the purpose of having a GUI, and being a more powerful processing machine. While I can say that the desktops Apple makes are better than average, I cannot say the same for the Iphone. Whoops! I guess they dropped the ball on that one! But in their defense, who would have expected a smartphone to do more than one thing at a time?
    WebOs on the other hand, "clunky" as some claim it to be, has FAR exceeded the abilities of the comparable versions of iOS; version to version.
    "Patches", "Addons", "Fixes", etc, might be needed to feel more refined, but I ask, how easy is it to modify your iphone as extensively as you can a Webos phone especially without "bricking" it?
    I would rather drive a beat-up Ferrari, than a nicely polished Yugo. Yeah, they both get you from point a to b, but there is style to the Ferrari.
    As far as whining about battery life, I can swap mine out if it dies. Try that ******.
    since when was "fan boi" a naughty no-no? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberiian View Post
    Truth be told; WebOs is the FAR superior operating system as far as phones go. I just don't know how you can call a glorified MP3 player a superior mobile device.....? Apple has always been designed for the purpose of having a GUI, and being a more powerful processing machine. While I can say that the desktops Apple makes are better than average, I cannot say the same for the Iphone. Whoops! I guess they dropped the ball on that one! But in their defense, who would have expected a smartphone to do more than one thing at a time?
    WebOs on the other hand, "clunky" as some claim it to be, has FAR exceeded the abilities of the comparable versions of iOS; version to version.
    "Patches", "Addons", "Fixes", etc, might be needed to feel more refined, but I ask, how easy is it to modify your iphone as extensively as you can a Webos phone especially without "bricking" it?
    I would rather drive a beat-up Ferrari, than a nicely polished Yugo. Yeah, they both get you from point a to b, but there is style to the Ferrari.
    As far as whining about battery life, I can swap mine out if it dies. Try that ******.
    The abilities of each device stem from the extendability provided by third party developers, and we all know who reigns there. WebOS just isn't there yet.

And swapping out a battery is no different than using a battery pack like a Griffin or Mophie. The convenience of a battery pack actually trumps that of swapping a battery; no need to shut down your device and can't dual-charge.

Just sayin'.
    I think that there is an added bonus for developers in which having an OS which allows you to run multiple apps at once.
    I don't see how lugging around an external pack is a win compared to a small form-factor spare battery.....? Besides, wouldn't the pre be able to take advantage of using a pack as well?

Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    And swapping out a battery is no different than using a battery pack like a Griffin or Mophie. The convenience of a battery pack actually trumps that of swapping a battery; no need to shut down your device and can't dual-charge.

Just sayin'.
    OK, I just want to be sure I'm clear.

Your stand on the battery issue is that only having the option to recharge from an external battery pack is better the ability to either charge from an external battery pack, or simply swap batteries?

Interesting...
    Gah...enough of the "just sayin". We get it...witty retort.

But aren't there more iPhone apps enabled for multitasking/background processing than there are WebOS apps...at all?

This is a really old talking point for WebOS, and I say this as someone who prefers WebOS' taskswitching way, way, WAY more than iPhone's. iPhone isn't a device for people who wanna tweak, patch, whatever....and sales prove that most people are fine with that. Palm and HP are going to have to come with different selling points for 2.0 if they wanna produce a different result than the debacle that was 1.0.
    Class assignment - Provide an example of "irony" in a forum post:

See bolded sections
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

But aren't there more iPhone apps enabled for multitasking/background processing than there are WebOS apps...at all?

This is a really old talking point for WebOS, and I say this as someone who prefers WebOS' taskswitching way, way, WAY more than iPhone's. .
    Yep, I'll grant you that one. You eliminate the Pre's selling points one by one, and sure enough, the iPhone will top it.

Just sayin'
    Look at ANDROID! the only real difference between any of the phones on the market is the look and feel of android itself! (skins) I would beg to differ that people are complacent about the "personality" of any of their belongings - let alone one as personal and yet publicly visible as their phone. Yes, maybe most people don't want to tweak thier phones by personally arranging addons, but there is an entire market out there built on the modification/personalization aspect of rather plain-looking hardware. If the customization ability of webos is a weakness, then i concede. I would rather have a "weaker" phone in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Class assignment - Provide an example of "irony" in a forum post:

See bolded sections

Yep, I'll grant you that one. You eliminate the Pre's selling points one by one, and sure enough, the iPhone will top it.

Just sayin'
    Ok,...I get it already. You're bereft of wit.

But the number of iPhone apps is still a legitimate point of comparison despite its age because WebOS never generated significant app development momentum, and still hasn't in 13 months on the market.

I'm not the one "eliminating" Pre selling points. It's a collaborative effort with the competition not standing still, and HP/Palm doing exactly that - as far as customers are concerned.

I'm sure there are many things going on behind the scenes, but that's been true for some time.
    Look at ANDROID! the only real difference between any of the phones on the market is the look and feel of android itself! (skins) I would beg to differ that people are complacent about the "personality" of any of their belongings - let alone one as personal and yet publicly visible as their phone. Yes, maybe most people don't want to tweak thier phones by personally arranging addons, but there is an entire market out there built on the modification/personalization aspect of rather plain-looking hardware. If the customization ability of webos is a weakness, then i concede. I would rather have a "weaker" phone in this case.
    It's only a weakness in that this is a feature offered by pretty much every Android phone, even those "locked down" with custom skins from the manufacturer. With WebOS, you have to homebrew, which takes effort and research.

Turns off lots of people or escapes their notice altogether.
    I think the iPhone / iPad OS is awesome. I love it. It's simple, intuitive and powerful. That being said, WebOS is still superior. It's a superior design philosophy, UI and function in my opinion, and is actually quite a bit easier to use than iOS, plus its flexibility is outstanding. I think we have yet to see what WebOS has to bring to the table - hopefully HP's commitment to it will help that scenario.

The Pre would be perfect if:
    It had more memory.
    It had a better processor.
    There was a wide selection of apps.

I still love my Pre, and I'm glad I don't use an iPhone. The Pre is a great phone, especially on the Sprint network.

HP needs to pay deep attention to the "App Avenue" angle, and drive its energy towards developers. That's the only way the systems will take off. They need to mimic the "app for everything" philosophy. Android is weak on this as well, compared to Apple.

Objective-C / Xcode is an excellent development environment, and ensures quality in so many ways. This does nothing but help the iPhone. HP should be smart and not leave App quality out in the wind - depending on the forces of nature (as so many companies have done in the past). HP has the advantage of its development environment not being Mac only, which keeps so many more doors open, not to mention that its based on current (and much easier to learn) web technologies. They need to take full advantage of this fact.

WebOS is an excellent launching pad for competing with both iOS and Android, and HP can do very well with it if they make good choices. I'm glad to see them say "no" to Windows 7. Very smart. So far, so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's only a weakness in that this is a feature offered by pretty much every Android phone, even those "locked down" with custom skins from the manufacturer. With WebOS, you have to homebrew, which takes effort and research.

Turns off lots of people or escapes their notice altogether.
    Fact is, with the Iphone, it isn't an option.
    Fact is, with the Iphone, it isn't an option.
    Uh, that's kinda old too. Out of the box, it and the Pre are now on the same footing. You can change the wallpaper and what icons appear where.

To do more you must homebrew or jailbreak. But as I said, people - for the most part - don't buy an iPhone because they wanna tweak. It works out of the box, is responsive out of the box, and has added functionality available in the app store.

People respond to that. A lot. Every OS lags behind iOS in that respect, and that's partly why it sells better than any individual handset.
    [ But as I said, people - for the most part - don't buy an iPhone because they wanna tweak.

Just because they can't tweak doesn't mean that they wouldn't if they could. And when i say "could" i mean easily, without going far beyond the ability of the typical user.

WebOS is so intuitive, that just about ANY user can see a screenshot of something they like, install the homebrew associated with it, and be done that easily.

I am not saying that iOS is bad, just that it is lacking in areas in which the smartphone community will be trending towads in the next few years.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I prefer ios because of the stability and the apps but I'm pretty cheap so I wouldn't get att due to cost.

webos is nice but needs work, needs to be sped up and needs apps badly.

I'm waiting till next year before I do anything. I want to see windows phone 7, blackberry os6 and the new palm device before I make a move.

also I don't care for phones without keyboards to much.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast