Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 237
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Whatever you say. We went the rounds on this last year, and I have no inclination to contine this. Putting quotes around the word "facts" is a little silly, no?

    I think Palm will be fine, you do not. Fine.

    In closing, subsidies didn't kick in until 2008, but even then the price was not much less than the September 2008 price correction. Also, the phone was not that out of line with other smartphones. Price drops do not sell iPhones... Apps sell iPhones. Anywho, have a good night.
    "Facts" was your word - I put the quotes around it since the was misused in your post. And yes, subsidies did not kick in until 2008 - right at the point the graph you posted gets steeper. Coincidence?

    Otherwise, you're certainly entitled to your guess about Palm's future. And I'll always disagree with you when you try to foist those guesses on these forums as "fact."
  2. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    "Facts" was your word - I put the quotes around it since the was misused in your post. And yes, subsidies did not kick in until 2008 - right at the point the graph you posted gets steeper. Coincidence?

    Otherwise, you're certainly entitled to your guess about Palm's future. And I'll always disagree with you when you try to foist those guesses on these forums as "fact."
    That seems to be the problem exactly. You can't have an intelligent discussion when people present their personal opinions as "facts":


    Facts by PogeyPre:
    "I was merely pointing out that without apps, the iPhone would have been an Apple fan boy toy without appeal to wider audiences. It is not marketable outside the techy realm without apps. This is fact, not conjecture or hyperbole."

    "Apps really are the only reason the iPhone is what it is."

    "This is why WebOs (with HP's help) will always be leaps and bounds ahead of iPhone OS."

    "If the iPhone had 2500 apps, it would never sell 25 million a year."

    "I say if WebOs had 150,000 apps, we wouldn't be having this conversation. That is why I said with HP's help and a strong base of users/developers there is more upside to WebOs. WebOs is the better OS in all categories except one.... APPS."

    "An open OS will always win over the closed OS. "

    "5 million iPhones sold prior to the SDK. That accounts for each of the crazy fan boys"

    "True. Apple sold 5 million iPhones based on that. Then they sold 10 times that by having tons of apps. iPhone would have fallen flat on its face otherwise."

    "Hardware is nice, but you need something to do with it. You cannot say that the iPhone would be what it is without apps. Without apps and lots of them, phone OS's will die."

    "I have backed up everything I have said with facts. I will leave the hyperbole to someone else."


    It's just an odd argument to brush off 5million sales BEFORE the App catalog as some sort of failure when many "successful" phones out now cant even hit that number. Sure, Apps helped Apple jump to the next level but prior to the App catalog then the iPhone had numerous reasons for it's appeal and success. The webkit browser (which was a HUGE deal), GPS, Threaded messaging, Big Screen, Aesthetically clean, Simplistic function and design, A virtual keyboard that worked, iPod, Audiobook/Podcast support and the industry shaking pricedrop. Also, you can't ignore the partnerships with Google (Maps + Mail) Yahoo (Widgets+Mail) and Starbucks (Free WiFi).

    It just seems like people are forgetting what the cellphone realm was like in 2007. Apple may not have been the "first" in anything but they did package up an impressive 1st gen that was appealing even without apps..
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/26/2010 at 02:06 PM.
  3. #63  
    This debate is silly, i mean really.. I would be fighting tooth and nail if I created Iphones OS or the IPhone or my name was Steve J Jobs; or WebOS or the Pre Or I was Rubestein... But i didn't, and I am not so who cares? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, why is it such a Fannybooband catfight everytime a device is mentioned? I personally like Web OS better --- because I said so, and because I can! Now that is a "FACT"
    End of story. done. fin.. complete... 100% - eat that Iphone!
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion,
    There. I distilled your post down to the coherent bits for you. Fact!
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I was messing around with my friend's iPhone a couple days ago, and I really was unimpressed. Granted there are much more apps vs the Pre's 2.5k, but that really didn't impress me. I felt like the only thing the iPhone has over my Pre is better battery life and better network coverage (AT&T vs Sprint). Well, maybe the apps load faster than my Pre's but I don't really mind since I can leave mine open forever.

    Has anyone else touched an iPhone and still preferred their Pre? It really made me feel alot better about webOS and it's future vs iPhone OS.
    I sold my iPhone for a Palm Pre. I would NEVER switch back. I see the light now that I have a Pre. The iPhone is balls compared to it. Its a bandwagon phone. I MIGHT prefer a blackberry over an iPhone even.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    I sold my iPhone for a Palm Pre. I would NEVER switch back. I see the light now that I have a Pre. The iPhone is balls compared to it. Its a bandwagon phone. I MIGHT prefer a blackberry over an iPhone even.
    Bandwagon? The Pre sales number might be considered a bandwagon. The iPhone is more like a band supertanker or band continent. 40 million people is, in general, just a little more than a wagon, wouldn't you say?
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Bandwagon? The Pre sales number might be considered a bandwagon. The iPhone is more like a band supertanker or band continent. 40 million people is, in general, just a little more than a wagon, wouldn't you say?
    HAHA that was funny
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Bandwagon? The Pre sales number might be considered a bandwagon. The iPhone is more like a band supertanker or band continent. 40 million people is, in general, just a little more than a wagon, wouldn't you say?
    No actually I would say you proved my point. Bandwagoning means people buy or support it just because its the popular or cool thing to do. The Pre is hardly a bandwagon phone. I dont care if 40 billion people got the iPhone I would never own one again as long as I lived. I'd be with the Pre for 5 years before I switched to an iPhone. Ignorance on technology is bliss.
  9. #69  
    we all prefer webos lol
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    No actually I would say you proved my point. Bandwagoning means people buy or support it just because its the popular or cool thing to do. The Pre is hardly a bandwagon phone. I dont care if 40 billion people got the iPhone I would never own one again as long as I lived. I'd be with the Pre for 5 years before I switched to an iPhone. Ignorance on technology is bliss.
    So are you saying that 39,999,999 people bought the iPhone because some really cool guy bought the first one and the rest of them couldn't help themselves? And the Pre, which is an infinitely better device, languishes because none of those 39,999,999 people has a clue about technology? Maybe you should look up head-in-the-sand - or look for work at Palm where you'll fit right in.
  11. #71  
    I would prefer Symbian to iPhone so I definitely prefer the webOS to iPhone.
  12. #72  
    Ok...I been using an iPhone 3G for nearly 2 years before getting my Pre+ 1 day after its release on AT&T. My thoughts on both:

    Build quality: Iphone hands down. In 2 years, no hardware issues. No creaks or cracks. In about 10 days, my Pre+ has a creak in the battery cover and feels like its developing the 'oreo' effect. I really hope the Pre can last until my next upgrade!

    Functionality: This one is a bit tougher to call. Both phones have tons of functionality. Between Preware and the official Palm Catalog, I haven't missed the 100k+ apps from Apple's too much. Quality of the apps I personally use are equal for the most part. I haven't really missed a beat since switching over to the Pre+. The iPhone's copy/paste feature is much easier to use then the Pre's. Nonetheless, functionality is a draw in my book.

    Everyday Use: The Pre's battery life is the main downer of the phone compared to my iPhone. I use them both the same way and the Pre just cannot hang on battery life. And I thought the iPhone's battery sucked! iPhone takes the battery round.

    However, the Touchstone is a winner. That is such a 'magical' accessory that it alone may be enough to steer someone on the fence towards a Pre. I can't imagine anybody who would NOT think the TS rocks. Maybe TS 2.0 can add USB connectivity wirelessly when docked (is that even possible?)...that would be FTW hands down. Also, the Pre's LED notification light is also a winner. I can't believe how much I like that blinking light. No doubt the Pre wins this one.

    The Pre's form factor (smaller size) is definitely better for putting it in my pocket. The iPhone all of a sudden feels huge! However, when I go back to the iPhone, the larger screen is better for viewing. I can now use the physical keyboard just as well as the virtual one on the iPhone. Draw here.

    However, I prefer WebOS much more than the iPhone OS. It makes the phone feel like a mini-computer versus an iPod. My dream phone would be the next gen iPhone hardware w/ WebOS. Heck, I would 'settle' for the iPhone's build quality on my current Pre!

    Conclusion: I admit that as much as I am loving the Pre+, I'm still monitoring the developments on the upcoming iPhone. I will be well within the 30 day return period when Apple's WWDC event goes down. However, I'm pretty sure that I will be keeping the Pre+. I'm a big HP and Palm fan. And I also just want a change from the iPhone world. WebOS and the TS is a winner for me.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
    Ok...I been using an iPhone 3G for nearly 2 years before getting my Pre+ 1 day after its release on AT&T.
    That's not a particularly credible start. The iPhone 3G was released on 11 July 2008 and the Palm Pre was released on 6 June 2009. How did you manage to use the iPhone 3G for almost two years in just under eleven months?
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's not a particularly credible start. The iPhone 3G was released on 11 July 2008 and the Palm Pre was released on 6 June 2009. How did you manage to use the iPhone 3G for almost two years in just under eleven months?
    He said pre plus.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    He said pre plus.
    Thanks for clarifying - and apologies to ipilot for being a timeline ****.
  16. #76  
    still in love with webOS
  17. #77  
    I love Web OS on my Pre Plus that I got a week ago. Everyone's been telling me "Dude, why didn't you get an iPhone? It's got a trillion apps and it's made by Apple, the best in the world!"
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Thanks for clarifying - and apologies to ipilot for being a timeline ****.
    No problem.
  19. #79  
    PogeyPre: Your arguments were very black and white. Nothing is EVER obsolute. Everything is "it depends." Learn that quick, and you'll be a wise man.

    And all the facts we have now are just the accepted way to best explain something, and they change.

    For example, it's a fact that gravity holds us onto the earth, but what exactly is gravity? What force reaches out to your atoms and puls them down onto the earth?

    It's all just theories, as almost EVERYTHING in the world is.

    Look at your pre, fact is it has a black hue to it's plastic. What is the color black? It's a hue that's created b/c it absords all visible spectrum lightrays, thus no other hues are reflected and sent to our eyes. In an object that red, red lightwaves are reflected off of it and hit our eyes, thus making us believe the object is red.

    did you know that black has all colors in it though? So yes, it's a fact the our Pre's are black, but it's also a fact that they are red, green, blue, and billions of other colors.

    Point being, nothing is obsolute, and saying like "Always," "Never," etc. Are always false
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

    Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
  20. #80  
    The thing that the IPhone does great is being a good all-in-one phone/internet browser/media player. You can listen to music all day long and not run out of juice. Plus you can store up to 32GB of media on your phone. No one else has come close. there are storage cards you can add to many of the phones, (nice job skipping that Palm), but it is not as manageable.


    I do not own one because I do not like ITunes and already have a great media player, but I can see the draw. There is a reason there are multiple platforms and multiple phones. People are looking for different things when they shop a phone and it is great to have variety of choices. What appeals to one person may not be the same as the person next to them.
    Last edited by davecttt; 07/25/2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.


Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions