Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112
Results 221 to 237 of 237
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm a software engineer and even I didn't want to fool with the trouble that was involved in "hacking" the Pre, especially when an update would come along and completely diminish my work. If it wasn't stock, I didn't want it.

    Then again, I also don't trust the work of rogue developers to have such an affect on the underlying parts of my phone, I prefer to stick with whats offered straight from the manufacture.

    I guess I'm just weird.
    Personally, I don't see it as "hacking" the Pre. Sure, you're changing some code, but it's very high level code. Is it really any different than changing an .INI file or substituting a new .DLL in Windows, or adding/modifiying a script file in Linux?

    I also understand about the update diminishing your work, but that's pretty well avoided now with the current version of PreWare.

    I see merit in the "rogue developers" issue; however, I disagree. I see it much like the open source debate in the computing world. Yes, having an open system invites easier hacking capabilities. It also offers many more eyes to look at code. Most of the code for the Pre is so open, I don't think you'd get many rogue programs.
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?

    I'm going to assume since you just jumped in this thread you skimmed over some of the previous posts and missed the discussions of OCing and kernels being used.
    Look back and follow the conversation... A custom kernel and OCing have been mentioned.

    Also, many would disagree that the Pre is "very usable" without OCing (again especially compared to other comparable devices). But that is an opinion and not one shared be all...
    You are correct that I didn't read the whole thread. I replied to some recent posts. Since I have not installed a custom kernal (or anything else that might void my warranty) and I am quite fond of my gadget, I guess it's safe to say that _I_ find it very usable without overclocking. And yes, I've played with friends' iPhones and Droids, and with my husband's iPad Touch.

    All this talk about the advantages of overclocking makes me wonder if I should give it a try, though. My warranty has recently expired. Which means, I suppose that it's a lot more expensive to break the phone. But maybe this is safe enough???

    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Just because it wasn't made a "secret" or made largely inaccessible... does not mean it was intended to be used by end users.

    It was the community (Dev's and end users) that made it "largely accessible" not Palm. Palm only made it directly accessible to developers by only publishing it in their development documentation. They did not publish it in their end user documents.
    They made it clear in public statements that the code was available to anyone who was willing to "beta test" code that hadn't been approved by Palm. They have actively supported the homebrew community, at least verbally. They've never made any threats, not even the simple threat of voiding a warranty.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    . . . For me custom kernels are a large part of the homebrew offerings because they offer the single most significant impact on the end user experience of any of the homebrew offerings. Sure it's probably 1 of 3000 items available in Preware... but it is (for me) the most significant single item available in Preware (Edit: By a significant margin).
    tell me more. What are the advantages and risks?

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Two points on that.
    1. Many will not overclock specifically because it could void their warranty. That scares of a lot of people. . .
    :wave:

    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm a software engineer and even I didn't want to fool with the trouble that was involved in "hacking" the Pre, especially when an update would come along and completely diminish my work. If it wasn't stock, I didn't want it.

    Then again, I also don't trust the work of rogue developers to have such an affect on the underlying parts of my phone, I prefer to stick with whats offered straight from the manufacture.

    I guess I'm just weird.
    Or cautious? It's very easy -- I am not a software engineer, and had no trouble diong it. And you don't have to do anything when an update comes along, unless you've installed one of the few items that isn't update-safe. In that case, you just remove that patch, install the update, and reinstall the patch (if it's still needed.) But most patches automatically update themselves either to versions compatible with the updated system or to a "spaceholder" patch that does nothing except show up on your list of "items that have been updated" when the developer gets around to updating it to work with the new system code.

    I see it as comparable to installing different system sounds on a PC. Yeah, you might have to rename the directory when you upgrade, and maybe re-activate them, but it's neither a big deal nor very dangerous.

    I admit, I am curious about the custom kernals after reading some of this stuff. But that does scare me, as that is a big deal, and much riskier than anything I've done.
  3. #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I admit, I am curious about the custom kernals after reading some of this stuff. But that does scare me, as that is a big deal, and much riskier than anything I've done.
    I'm with her on this. Any reports of anyone damaging their phone with a modest speed bump to 800Mhz? I understand that faster=hotter=shorter life span, but I only expect to have my Pre for another year at the most.

    -Jay
  4. #224  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
    I'm with her on this. Any reports of anyone damaging their phone with a modest speed bump to 800Mhz? I understand that faster=hotter=shorter life span, but I only expect to have my Pre for another year at the most.

    -Jay
    I take it you trust HP to release updated hardware within a year.
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I take it you trust HP to release updated hardware within a year.
    I hope so, but I also assume by then Android 3.x will be out.
    Android 2.2 has almost lured me away, If their is no new, compelling WebOS phone with a much better app selection by next summer, that's where I'll be headed. I prefer WebOS but am about ready to give up on it.

    -Jay
  6. #226  
    Android 3.x is supposed to be released this fall. However, as with all Android updates, the time frame that it will be available on the specific hardware you may want to use may vary. But if you are upgrading to a new (to market) Android phone at that time, it is fairly likely that it will be available on that hardware at the time of purchase (or shortly thereafter).
  7. #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
    I'm with her on this. Any reports of anyone damaging their phone with a modest speed bump to 800Mhz? I understand that faster=hotter=shorter life span, but I only expect to have my Pre for another year at the most.

    -Jay
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think? maybe I'm confusing all these threads at this point... ), I have had one Pre go bad at least in part (imo) to overclocking it. Having said that, it was likely a poor quality unit to begin with. After all, that was the reason Palm chose to underclock the Pre below designed specs to begin with. They felt that some CPU's coming off that line were not up to standards and to be safe they reduced the normal clock speed to ensure a more than reasonable life span.

    Having said that... Pre's are so readily available on ebay/craigslist that it would be relatively inexpensive to replace. Personally I would overclock to at least 720mhz very comfortably (and typically do to 800mhz). It's worth it imo and unless you have a lower quality unit, OCing (to 800 and below) would likely only decrease the lifespan of the CPU to a point that is still longer than than the average life cycle of the device itself (read: how long the owner will use it for). I'm no expert but I have been overclocking CPU's for years and have overclocked mobile CPU's for the past few. So I am pretty familiar with the pro's, con's and nuances of it.

    Also, the one Pre I mentioned was replaced by Sprint (not insurance) with no questions asked and no charge. I'm not sure how much longer that will last but that was in Mid-Late June (past the 1 yr point from the date of purchase).

    webOS is a great foundation... it just continues to fall behind the other mobile OS's in terms of it's feature set (at stock and to a lesser extent if "customized"). Hopefully (yes, I would like to see it... contrary to some people beliefs! ) HP/Palm can get there and find a good hardware set to support it.

    Edit: 1GHz and above I would say is rolling the dice. You are looking at a 100%+ overclock... which typically spells doom because of the additional heat generated and the fact that there is no reasonable way to dissipate this additional heat (like you could with water cooling, etc. on a desktop CPU).

    But this is all just my personal opinion... Hope it helps...
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I take it you trust HP to release updated hardware within a year.
    I suspect pretty strongly that we'll see new hardware and a new OS from HPalm before the end of the year.
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect pretty strongly that we'll see new hardware and a new OS from HPalm before the end of the year.
    Or at least know when to expect it. I think it will likely be Dec '10 or 1Q '11.

    If not HP/Palm is going to really be digging themselves a hole (in the smartphone market).
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Or at least know when to expect it. I think it will likely be Dec '10 or 1Q '11.

    If not HP/Palm is going to really be digging themselves a hole (in the smartphone market).
    I don't think we're going to see a long term advance notice again. I'd be surprised if it's announce more than a month out.

    Has anyone notice that it appears that supplies of new devices are drying up? I've heard reports from a number of places that they no longer have stock and can't resupply.
  11. #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think we're going to see a long term advance notice again. I'd be surprised if it's announce more than a month out.

    Has anyone notice that it appears that supplies of new devices are drying up? I've heard reports from a number of places that they no longer have stock and can't resupply.
    I'm sure it will leak out into the "interwebs" well in advance. It typically does for just about any device.

    New devices as in new Palm Pre's?

    I thought I read something a few weeks back that Palm was no longer manufacturing new Palm Pre's? But I think that only applied to the Palm Pre, not the Palm Pre+?
  12. #232  
    Let me know when WebOS is capable of something like this: Parrot AR.Drone - An intuitive piloting - Wi-Fi video remote control - Autopilot

    WANT!
  13. #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Let me know when WebOS is capable of something like this: Parrot AR.Drone - An intuitive piloting - Wi-Fi video remote control - Autopilot

    WANT!
    I saw that a few weeks ago and want it bad! If it came to Android I would buy that in a heart beat!

    Although it would suck to get that expensive toy stuck way up in a tree!


    BTW... It's just an App and there is no reason it couldn't be on webOS or Android.
    Other than the Dev's just not choosing to develop for other platforms.

    There was small outcry for the device on Android but (if I remember correctly) the company said they were going to wait an see how things played out on iOS before developing for other platforms.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/29/2010 at 03:44 PM.
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I saw that a few weeks ago and want it bad! If it came to Android I would buy that in a heart beat!

    Although it would suck to get that expensive toy stuck way up in a tree!


    BTW... It's just an App and there is no reason it couldn't be on webOS or Android.
    Other than the Dev's just not choosing to develop for other platforms.


    There was small outcry for the device on Android but (if I remember correctly) the company said they were going to wait an see how things played out on iOS before developing for other platforms.
    Isn't that the problem in general? Trying to get developers onboard.
  15. #235  
    I'm just weird... But I prefer options, customization of my phone.

    reporting from my mothers basement.....
  16. #236  
    hmmm, the thread title is "who prefers webOS over an iPhone?"

    Answer: me, and maybe a few others around here.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  17. #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Let me know when WebOS is capable of something like this: Parrot AR.Drone - An intuitive piloting - Wi-Fi video remote control - Autopilot

    WANT!
    Nah, this is the app that would make me switch:



    Somebody PLEASE port this to webOS!!!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions