Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    File this under "I will believe it when I see it"

But it is out there on a few sites today

Rumor: Sprint to release iPhone in September

We've been hearing rumors that the iPhone is headed to Verizon since just about when the original iPhone made its debut in 2007. What we haven't heard as often is that the iPhone would be headed to Sprint, but that's exactly what the latest rumor seems to be. MacRumors has received a couple of tips from sources affiliated with Sprint that have said that the iPhone will indeed be available on the No. 3 carrier later this year. One of those sources went on to say that the device would be available on Sprint around September, which is approximately when the iPhone has been rumored to be headed to Verizon, as well. While there's no way to tell if any of these rumors are true until we hear it directly from Steve Jobs, I'm sure that Sprint would love to have the iPhone, as their CFO Robert Brust has stated in the past. It may not be Verizon, but there would probably be quite a few people that would leave AT&T for Sprint and their considerably cheaper monthly plans. When September rolls around, we may finally see the iPhone available on several carriers, perhaps even all of the big four, which would definitely help Apple and the iPhone compete with Android.
    I'm sure it would be good news for Sprint. Doubt it would be good news for Palm/HP, though.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    As good as this would be for sprint, I hope it doesn't happen and my reason is very selfish. I want the next webOS smartphone and if the iphone came to sprint along side the evo, surely palm wouldn't launch on sprint, at least it's very doubtful they would.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I hope this isn't true. I'd prefer the iPeople be locked into AT&T with their sketchy network and high prices. I don't want the iPhone clogging up our mobile internets.
    This looks like a UFC fight...i wanna see c EVO vs. Iphone.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Sounds plausible, it would give apple a better chance of slowing down the assault android is giving them.

I also wouldn't doubt sprint trying to gouge you with extra "premium data" charges.

September is sounding like a great time to be shopping for a new smartphone.
  7.    #7  
    I agree Having the Iphone and EVO on Sprint I bet the newest WEB OS phone would be on Verizon. Verizon would probally pay big to get exclusive rights as they would be in a hole with Sprint getting Iphone and Evo. Personally I actually think the next WEB OS phone will be on Verizon anyhow. SPrint played a big part in the faliure of the Pre and Hp/Palm knows that. also Sprint pretty much abandon the Pre . The EVO (Android) is there flagship phone now Theres a reason the improved Pre (Plus) was on Verizon and not Sprint. I wanted the Pre Plus so bad and Sprint did not even carry it.

Still dont believe the Iphone is coming to Sprint.
    sprint didn't do nothing to the pre.. Palm messed up the pre.. Sprint is not to blame for crappy hardware.
    come on Iphone. Palm won't release anything this year anyway. Stop kidding yourself....LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Theres a reason the improved Pre (Plus) was on Verizon and not Sprint. I wanted the Pre Plus so bad and Sprint did not even carry it.
    the reason the pre plus didnt come to sprint is because there were plenty Pre's taking up shelf space and there was little reason to think the pre plus would sell any better.

i hope the iphone stays exclusive to att. if they ship to onto other carriers, i feel the sheep will allow apple to monopolize the market.
  11.    #11  
    Partially, alot of the blame analyst said was the fact that Sprint didnt have enough Pres to meet demand initially. Also Sprint did not put enough marketing behind it But I guess your right, the bad hardware killed a great OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    sprint didn't do nothing to the pre.. Palm messed up the pre.. Sprint is not to blame for crappy hardware.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Sprint rep told me Apple/AT&T lied about contract and that it's actually for 5 years so no other carrier will see it til summer 2012...
    Not interested even if it came to Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    This looks like a UFC fight...i wanna see c EVO vs. Iphone.
    Specs side by side.. .

http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.asp?file=/2010/5/15/20100514220103&phone=iPhone-4G-vs-HTC-EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I agree Having the Iphone and EVO on Sprint I bet the newest WEB OS phone would be on Verizon. Verizon would probally pay big to get exclusive rights as they would be in a hole with Sprint getting Iphone and Evo. Personally I actually think the next WEB OS phone will be on Verizon anyhow. SPrint played a big part in the faliure of the Pre and Hp/Palm knows that. also Sprint pretty much abandon the Pre . The EVO (Android) is there flagship phone now Theres a reason the improved Pre (Plus) was on Verizon and not Sprint. I wanted the Pre Plus so bad and Sprint did not even carry it.

Still dont believe the Iphone is coming to Sprint.
    After the pitiful job Verizon did with the Pre (Palm actually lost market share after the VZ launch...) I am wondering if HP would have to PAY verizon to carry the next webOS phone. VZ hasn't sold as many Pre/Pixi phones as Sprint, and they through several hundred million behind Android in a very successful attempt to position VZ and Google in the same way that AT&T is tied to iPhone. Now that Android is outselling the iPhone, that gamble has paid off for VZ. Neither Palm or VZ were even remotely effective in promoting the Pre. The fact that MotoDroid was launched as the flagship VZ phone a few months before they launched the Pre, coupled with the worste advertising ever (the perfect phone for busy moms... really?) spelled low sales and lack of profits for Palm phones sold by VZ.

Shortly before the HP acquisition was announced, the VP of carrier marketing at Palm "abruptly" resigned. Needless to say, HP will have more work to repair the mess with VZ that is much harder than developing the next round of webOS phones... At the moment VZ believes they don't need the iPhone, and they don't need Palm. HP needs to make it a top priority to fix the mess between Palm and VZ... IMHO

Unless AT&T/Apple really screw something up, I don't think you will see iPhone on any other carrier for a long time. AT&T can't afford to let Apple launch on other carriers, and Apple can squeeze them for all they want - even though they know that there isn't really much of a chance of getting the iPhone on Sprint or VZ. Sprint isn't big enough, and VZ won't play ball with Jobs.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/24/2010 at 10:07 PM.
    saw this reported today. hope it happens. i'll switch

Apple: Will Sprint Get The iPhone? - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    iPhone coming to Sprint. Best Buy Employee Confirms? | The Tech Update
    TECHNOLOGY - Sprint iPhone 4G Release Date Next Month: Best Buy Employee

other news today. apple stopped shipping iphone3Gs' to At&T which has signaled that the new version is imminent. I guess this is typical of what happened before. And it is getting close to the June rumored launch date.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i would change to it way more cool apps
    if sprint gets the new iphone 4g that's big
    It would be big....yet, the "annoyed about the general consumers over hype of the iPhone" in me would rather see Android or Palm continue to build growth.

General consumers flock to the iPhone because its a household name. Much ilke the iPod. They don't even bother looking at legit competition. The tide turned a bit with the Droid on verizon...and even the Incredible i've seen a good amount of people with the device already in teh subways of NYC.....but i want it to continue for at least another year.

Apple's trojan horse though is certainly iTunes. Big reason why my friend has not interest in the Incredible and why he wants an iPhone for Verizon. He wants to sync it with his itunes. (yes i explained DoubleTwist but...eh)
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Since I threw up the Evo vs. iPhone link, here's a Evo vs. Pre video.. .

Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post

not even a fair fight. but they need a grid laying the spec out side by side like the mobile88 iphone vs evo one.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post

[url= - Sprint Evo 4G vs. Palm Pre - AndroidCentral.com[/url]
    And people say the evo is not a big phone. Palm/HP don't do that...please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast