Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. mzlogan11
    The single most painful reason why I am leaving the Pre before the end of summer is the lack of business to consumer apps. I'm not a developer, so I can only speak to what I see but nearly EVERY website on which I do business - shopping, banking, travel, insurance - offers mobile apps for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. I've yet to see one make any mention of WebOS. Am I the only one who noticed this? What am I missing?

Apologies if this has been posted previously.
    M
    it might be cheaper and more rewarding to pick up a net book for $225. I've found that every b to c site has an app for windows. And I can tether my netbook to my pre to use them!

...just sayin'
    <<moved thread>>
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    It may just be me, but since HP is in the process of buying Palm, I would expect to see some work on those sorts of apps. But, that's just my feeling. Good luck anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by techandtrading View Post
    It may just be me, but since HP is in the process of buying Palm, I would expect to see some work on those sorts of apps. But, that's just my feeling. Good luck anyway.

I'm thinking the same thing... Can't wait to see a Palm/HP Netbook or ipad type thing
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by techandtrading View Post
    This is a frustration that we all share. It can be demoralizing. I've considered switching to Android (EVO 4G) for the same reason. While I love the OS and the way the Pre does what it does out of the box, I can't help but feel like the rest of the world isn't taking it seriously. The best technology isn't necessarily the tech that scales and gets adopted or become the standard. I really don't want to go with Android so I hope that HP can do something to quickly scale the OS. Quickly getting an OUTSTANDING tablet with iPad killing specs and some key software partners would help considerably because there isn't a big Android tablet on the market yet. Once webOS is on a device that can garner a good piece of market share, we will be able to breath easier that our preferred OS will survive and thrive. I don't want WebOS to end up like BETA tapes, Laser Disks, and HDDVD.
    It WILL happen. Keep in mind WebOS is still very young. A year into the life of the iPhone and trust me, there were NO business to consumer apps. A year into Android, was a bit better, but not by much. The Pre is Palm's 'G1' device. There are some who bought the G1 in 2007 and felt frustrated and left for the iPhone. And now Android has a large but fragmented marketplace. And yes it will be the same for Win Phone 7. They'll start off with a few great apps, but it will take time for the big players to write for the platform.

You can leave WebOS, that's fine, I've always said get the phone that does what you need it to do, but WebOS WILL have those apps in time. And the recent purchase by HP will ensure that they'll be around for a while.
    That's too bad - this is an exciting time to own a Pre\ Pixi. Maybe after you've spent a few years away, webOS will have fully matured.

The homebrew community is on fire with the awesome patches - and they can only get better with time.

But then, I own an ipod touch, so I get all those thousands of apps and games. Actually, the ipod touch with the Pre hotspot is an awesome combo! I recommend it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    <<moved thread>>
    Was this your first act of power? Was it intoxicating?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Was this your first act of power? Was it intoxicating?
    Second.

Second.
    I feel like I know people in high places now on this forum. Can I be your groupie?

I feel like I know people in high places now on this forum. Can I be your groupie?
    Sure...I've always wanted a groupie!

Allright, let's let this thread get back on topic.

Sure...I've always wanted a groupie!

Allright, let's let this thread get back on topic.
    Yes ma'am.

The lack of corporate support should reverse by the end of the year. HP is a huge and influential company. Its financial backing of Palm and the push to get WebOS on lots of different devices will bring large development companies to WebOS.

Personally I think WebOS will need another ~1 year to fully reboot and come into its own. But look out CES 2011, I think Palm might bring something special there.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Yes ma'am.

But look out CES 2011, I think Palm might bring something special there.
    They better do it before that. I'd say they need to be ready to launch a new smartphone by webOS 2.0 or sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    They better do it before that. I'd say they need to be ready to launch a new smartphone by webOS 2.0 or sooner.
    Why? What are they going to lose? With HP giving them security, I would prefer to see Palm take their time and make a release with no major hickups. The release of the Pre and WebOS was incredibly rushed. Only now does it feel like the OS is just starting to get out of beta.

From the way it sounds, HP wants WebOS on a tablet ASAP. I bet that will put a new smart phone bit back in the docket. But a release of a new smartphone sooner would be great, but only if it is truly ready.

Android running amok and WM7 about to bust out is why HP needs to get Palm on the ball. It's full speed ahead for Google while Palm is a little out of the starting gate, STILL. RIM and Apple also continue to make themselves relevant. MSFT has to make up lost ground like Palm but I think even they have a better support system than Palm. Integrating WM7 into Xbox and Zune.

But since HP said webOS will be on printers, maybe they can throw some kind of laptop support in too, besides the tablet. That would make webOS more mainstream. but they really need to hurry.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mzlogan11 View Post
    The single most painful reason why I am leaving the Pre before the end of summer is the lack of business to consumer apps. I'm not a developer, so I can only speak to what I see but nearly EVERY website on which I do business - shopping, banking, travel, insurance - offers mobile apps for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. I've yet to see one make any mention of WebOS. Am I the only one who noticed this? What am I missing?

Apologies if this has been posted previously.
    M
    No you are not the only one that noticed. I'm in the same boat. There is absolutely nothing coming out appwise that i have an interest in. I've never heard of the stuff they keep releasing. There are no websites i've ever heard of. i just checked my phone the other day and realized i have 4 apps that are not launch apps or homebrew only apps. And i don't have too many of those either. I don't have much time for games either so , though they are neat and necessary for the platform, they aren't something that i'm interested in. but hey ya need games. they sell.

i like the webos method of doing things but i'm looking to replace my ipod and so far i've gone back to my ipod. so i'm back to a pocket full of devices. And i use the ipod much more then the phone so that's a big deal for me.

But i'm with you. almost halfway through my contract and the app situation from my perspective is bad and not looking better. An HP effect is just speculation now and it's a long way off. And honestly when i sign a two year contract i want i'm not interested in essentially being part of the testing phase. i'll leave that to others. I didn't expect to have a million apps. But when i looked at the launch apps i expected that every week we'd be getting apps from names as well known as the launch apps.

I will likely leave webos when i find a phone i like but i hope for the sake of webos that they can make a music player that is in every way the equal to the ipod and that they can get a bunch of companies to make webos apps. I think that will go a long way to helping the platform because for me. It's not just a hardware issue. It's an app issue and an issue with some aspects of webos that i'd like to be better.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Why? What are they going to lose? With HP giving them security, I would prefer to see Palm take their time and make a release with no major hickups. The release of the Pre and WebOS was incredibly rushed. Only now does it feel like the OS is just starting to get out of beta.

From the way it sounds, HP wants WebOS on a tablet ASAP. I bet that will put a new smart phone bit back in the docket. But a release of a new smartphone sooner would be great, but only if it is truly ready.
    I want it to be right to, but like phone diva pointed out. There are alot of phones coming and if palm doesn't get a hot new phone out soon, alot of people won't care what they have.

I'd say let the evo hoopla die down and iphone4G at least release for a month or two and then bring it, right before winpho7 drops.

If they do wait till ces 2011, they better be ready to do a full launch right then and there.
  19. mzlogan11
    I gave it an honest year with two Palm Pre and a host of software and hardware issues. I've had my EVO for one day. It's not perfect, but it's far superior. I recommend you each give it a serious look.

Good luck.
    Yes ma'am.
    The lack of corporate support should reverse by the end of the year. HP is a huge and influential company. Its financial backing of Palm and the push to get WebOS on lots of different devices will bring large development companies to WebOS.
    HP may be huge but software developers are interested in a platform's market share, not the size of its owner.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast