Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I, like many others on this forum, love palm and their devices. I also am very quick to defend palm and I do sometimes argue against other devices and their features. I may argue that the iPhone can't compare to the pre because it can't multi-task elegantly or something like that.

    But the truth is, when a company like HTC comes out with a revolutionary product like the EVO. Shoudn't we all appreciate and welcome this new innovation? Rather than try to find its flaws while defending our favorite company/device?

    I think the EVO and other innovative devices are good for the industry because it sets the bar for smartphones higher. Palm must now come out with a comparable product with increased features. That means we as consumers benefit!

    I think we as palm fans were always the underdog when compared to others in the industry. We were always worried that palm may go out of business because of other devices which made us resentful and defensive towards other devices. But now with HP, I don't think we have to worry about other companies like Apple, HTC, Microsoft, etc. I really believe webOS by palm/HP is here to stay, now that we have HP on our side, and we can now welcome and appreciate innovation by all other companies in the industry. If the competition forces palm to innovate further and make me a better phone, then I'm all for it. So go HTC, go Apple, go Google, go Microsoft!
  2. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #2  
    Actually, I think the lost appreciation for the EVO is due to it invading a Pre site. Even the "other devices" subforum has links redirecting members to outside sites for iPhone/RIM/Android talk so PreCentral.cons official stance seems to be "shut up already, willya"

    But I think the biggest frustration to WebOS fans is how "on the nose" the EVO specs are for the next Palm device that may not happen any time soon. Big screen, power, front facing camera, high build quality. As users who invested in Palms gen1 we kinda want to be rewarded with a chance to get a true "superphone". And even if you claim the pre size is perfect, you know you could sell a lot more friends to switch if a bigboy option like this was available.
  3. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #3  
    Urkel, you really think giant phones are the future?

    I think the giant phone craze is going to die a quick death when people have to carry those things everywhere they go.

    I've seen the evo sitting next to the already decently size N1 and the evo makes the N1 look tiny. I really hope we always at least have a nice pocket form factor option similar to the pre or no bigger then the N1(without hardware kb).
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    I, like many others on this forum, love palm and their devices. I also am very quick to defend palm and I do sometimes argue against other devices and their features. I may argue that the iPhone can't compare to the pre because it can't multi-task elegantly or something like that.

    But the truth is, when a company like HTC comes out with a revolutionary product like the EVO. Shoudn't we all appreciate and welcome this new innovation? Rather than try to find its flaws while defending our favorite company/device?

    I think the EVO and other innovative devices are good for the industry because it sets the bar for smartphones higher. Palm must now come out with a comparable product with increased features. That means we as consumers benefit!

    I think we as palm fans were always the underdog when compared to others in the industry. We were always worried that palm may go out of business because of other devices which made us resentful and defensive towards other devices. But now with HP, I don't think we have to worry about other companies like Apple, HTC, Microsoft, etc. I really believe webOS by palm/HP is here to stay, now that we have HP on our side, and we can now welcome and appreciate innovation by all other companies in the industry. If the competition forces palm to innovate further and make me a better phone, then I'm all for it. So go HTC, go Apple, go Google, go Microsoft!
    of course we should thank the competition. It should drive Palm onto bigger and better things. As much as I love webOS, if Palm hasn't learned from their mistakes in hardware (the fragile pre, the underpowered pixi), then they don't deserve to survive. Hopefully now they see what it takes from a build quality and spec perspective to succeed. The Evo at $200 has me really excited for what HP/Palm can/will deliver.
  5. #5  
    Bigger phones are the future. Smaller phones were the way when it was just calling and text. Now that u play games and surf the web the larger phones are in style. I hate the pre size and would love a Iphone size screen on the next web os phone. Trying to play games on the Pre is not great. screens so small. now there is ofcourse a segment that does not play games and surf and for them the Pre is perfect sized. I dont play games much but I surf alot and hate using my Pre. just too small and on a personal side I have bad eyes and it so hard on that little screen. but thats ofcourse a personal thing.
  6. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Bigger phones are the future. Smaller phones were the way when it was just calling and text. Now that u play games and surf the web the larger phones are in style. I hate the pre size and would love a Iphone size screen on the next web os phone. Trying to play games on the Pre is not great. screens so small. now there is ofcourse a segment that does not play games and surf and for them the Pre is perfect sized. I dont play games much but I surf alot and hate using my Pre. just too small and on a personal side I have bad eyes and it so hard on that little screen. but thats ofcourse a personal thing.
    Sure giant phones have place in the market, but I do all that stuff you hate doing on your pre, on mine and really have no issues. That said I'm 33 and have perfect vision, while a big screen is great I'm betting it's a craze that will die as soon as people actually live with it every day.
  7. #7  
    I sound old huh Im 43 but my eyes are terrible. Im with ya on the large screens. I think the Pre is too small and some of these new phones are too large. something inbetween would be good. again thats a personal choice.
  8. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Urkel, you really think giant phones are the future?

    I think the giant phone craze is going to die a quick death when people have to carry those things everywhere they go.
    Who knows? The mobile field has both surprised and disappointed in many ways so that's one to just let the market sort out.

    Personally then I like big screens because these arent replacing my phone anymore, they're replacing my computer. And I think that many people will feel the same way so while there is a size tradeoff, in the end many will gladly accept it

    If people want them they'll sell, if not they won't. But for both our sake let's hope there's never a standard in form factor because everyone is different.
  9. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Who knows? If people want them they'll sell, if not they won't. But for both our sake let's hope there's never a standard in form factor because everyone is different.
    Agreed
  10. #10  
    I've seen the Evo next to an iPhone and it's only a tad bit bigger, the difference isn't that noticable and people have been carrying around iphones and ipod touches for 3 years now with no problem. Bigger phones are here to stay. People want a device that can be as all in one as possible.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I've seen the Evo next to an iPhone and it's only a tad bit bigger, the difference isn't that noticable and people have been carrying around iphones and ipod touches for 3 years now with no problem. Bigger phones are here to stay. People want a device that can be as all in one as possible.
    Uh, the HD2 is the same casing as the EVO and two days ago I was in The Shack comparing the size of the HD2 to the iPhone and if you set the iPhone on top of the HD2, the iPhone sites WELL within the HD2 frame.

    The manager was stating his hesitation about jumping in on the EVO from his Touch Pro2. So I asked him and the other managers to do a little comparison. I told him to hold my Pre up to his ear and the other managers to say how it looked. They stated it looked small, but a comfortable size. Next the iPhone and they said it's more "brick like" than the Pre, but fine. Lastly the HD2, and all of them were like "Holy ish! That thing really is freakin' huge!"

    Next was the pants pocket test, and both the Pre (with case) and the iPhone (no case) fit everyone's pants pockets. The HD2 only fit in the guy wearing cargo pants, and *only* in a cargo pocket. It did NOT fit in the front or back pockets.

    My attachment says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Urkel, you really think giant phones are the future?

    I think the giant phone craze is going to die a quick death when people have to carry those things everywhere they go.

    I've seen the evo sitting next to the already decently size N1 and the evo makes the N1 look tiny. I really hope we always at least have a nice pocket form factor option similar to the pre or no bigger then the N1(without hardware kb).
    I think the size of the Pre is perfect... do not want the "atomo-phones"... kind of defeats the purpose of a SmartPHONE.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Uh, the HD2 is the same casing as the EVO and two days ago I was in The Shack comparing the size of the HD2 to the iPhone and if you set the iPhone on top of the HD2, the iPhone sites WELL within the HD2 frame.

    The manager was stating his hesitation about jumping in on the EVO from his Touch Pro2. So I asked him and the other managers to do a little comparison. I told him to hold my Pre up to his ear and the other managers to say how it looked. They stated it looked small, but a comfortable size. Next the iPhone and they said it's more "brick like" than the Pre, but fine. Lastly the HD2, and all of them were like "Holy ish! That thing really is freakin' huge!"

    Next was the pants pocket test, and both the Pre (with case) and the iPhone (no case) fit everyone's pants pockets. The HD2 only fit in the guy wearing cargo pants, and *only* in a cargo pocket. It did NOT fit in the front or back pockets.

    My attachment says it all.
    The HD2 fit my pocket perfectly fine. Do whoever you're around wear skinny jeans? I cant wear skinny jeans because my knots dont fit.
  14. pmjj's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #14  
    I also find the small screen a letdown. I would prefer a larger screen, and a micro sd card slot lol. At the moment I use Windows live skydrive for extra storage since it works with webos it is nice to have 25 gigs of free storage. A larger screen would be wonderful. My mom finds it hard to read after awhile. I may look into the slate when it comes out! More choices for WebOs! I look forward to what HP can help Palm bring to the table!
  15. #15  
    I agree that the evo is too big for my tastes. I thought the pre would be too small for me coming from the iPhone, but it's fine. The size of the pre is perfectly comftortable, though I wouldn't mind a little bigger, anything bigger than the iphone would be too large.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.

Posting Permissions