Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just curious to know if anyone has made a switch from an iPhone. Currently I'm comfortably using an iPhone 3GS. I've been a user since the 3G came out. They only other phone I've used is the AT&T band nexus one. I wasn't impressed what soever, the polish of the phone wore out after the 3rd day too me, all the goodness vanished. Web OS would be my 2nd choice next to the iPhone so far. I was just wondering what are the pros and cons from someone switching from the iPhone. Do you feel you've made a good decision? I played with a pre plus in the AT&T store today, felt a little laggy and the screen didn't feel like glass I'm guessing it's platic, so if would scratch easy. Do most of you put on a screen protector.

I get bored easy, was thinking of maybe using a pre plus for a little while. Are updates constantly coming thru? Thanks in advance.
    I switched from an iPhone to pre on monday. I'm liking it so far. Though it's not much an upgrade, more like a sidegrade, some stuff are better other stuff not. Here is a short list on what's better or worse than the iphone.

better:
    multitasking
    it's works much better as a phone than the iphone, the earpeice is loud and it feels comftorable against your ear.
    the screen looks nicer
    real keyboard
    touchstone
    web pages load a little faster
    apps load a little faster
    apps seem nicer
    gui more interesting
    more costomization

worse:
    smaller screen size
    no syncing solution such as itunes that handles contacts, calendar, tasks, e-mail, apps, music, video, and podcasts.
    not as many apps
    not as smooth, when you scroll it's a little jerky at times
    battery life
    little things like copy and past, google maps, autocorrect, and navigating through the app catalog aren' as good as on the iphone.

that's pretty much it for now. I will have a more indepth review after i'v spent more time with it, but right I definitely recommend it.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 05/22/2010 at 10:08 AM.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I have not made a "switch" but I do have an iphone and Pre. Its a tough call. I love WebOS and I feel thr Pre is just an overall better business phone. Even so, the list above does a good job of conveying the Pre's shortcomings vs the iphone.
  4.    #4  
    After seeing some of your guys pros and cons, it makes me want to stick with my iPhone. I couldn't see myself leaving the good things on it. I feel like I'm spoiled with the iPhone for sure, switching might even be a downgrade in my opinion, we all have our own tastes. The Predictive. Keyboard is one of my favorite features also. I type nearly faster on my iPhone than I do on a computer with almost maybe even less error than on a computer as a matter of fact. Which is great for me since I do most of my work through emails and what not. Copy & paste? I noticed on the pre I didn't even know how to activate the copy & paste, how does that work? I have a feeling if I want the same user experience as my iPhone and maybe an upgrade at the same time, the pre plus or pixi won't be able to give it to me yet. Maybe it's too early. Palm has some updates to go thru.
    I also switched from an iPhone3G to the Pre this last Monday. To sum up my reasons:

1. I simply got bored of the platform after two years, and I have an iPad so most of those apps won't go to waste.

2. The iPhone 4.0 software looks horrible to me. Apple is adding too many features on top of an OS that was supposed to be super simple and clean. The result is that the OS is starting to look very cluttered and unintuitive.

3. The new hardware doesn't have anything I'm crazy about. I don't need or want a front facing camera and the HD screen will be nice but YouTube is the only video I watch on my phone.

4. I love the multi tasking ability of the Pre.

5. The pre fits better in my hand, and I trull believe that WebOS is a superior OS. It just needs to be developed more.
    Honestly, I was scared I'd have buyers remorse after having the iPhone for so long. That couldn't be further from the case. I couldn't be more pleased with the Pre. It's truly a fantastic little phone combined with an outstanding OS.

I'm pretty amazed that the carriers didn't do more to promote and push the Pre to its customers. It seems to be an afterthought when it rightfully deserves to be treated as an equal competitor to the iPhone and other flagship phones from the other carriers.
    Last edited by Sicembaylor; 05/22/2010 at 01:40 PM.
    I have never owned an iPhone, and I love my Pre, but I wanted to say thanks to all of you for evenhanded reviews of the pros and cons of switching. This thread is informative and interesting.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I'm coming rom an iPhone 3GS 32GB yes and I love the notifications on the Palm Pre + which do not obstruct any active screen and they just slip to the bottom of the display instead of the messy iPhone pop-up notifications on the iPhone OS as oppose to the superior WebOS!
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Here are some comparisons coming from a 3G[S] to Pre Plus....

Pros:

-Form Factor is just unbelievable!

-Tactile Keyboard

-Cards advance Multitasking

-Easy Homebrew access/support

Cons:

-Smaller screen

-Worse Browser

-Pandora/Slacker are very low quality

-Google maps is slower

I want to make the full time switch but issues with the browser and the low Quality sound on Pandora/slacker is making it not look very likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukel View Post

Cons:

-Smaller screen

-Worse Browser

-Pandora/Slacker are very low quality

-Google maps is slower

I want to make the full time switch but issues with the browser and the low Quality sound on Pandora/slacker is making it not look very likely.
    Not much you can do about the other Cons, but are you aware that in Pandora- Preferences, you can select "higher quality audio?" Works well unless you have marginal cell service.
    Google maps is actually faster on my Pre than my iPhone as far as position acquisition goes. The GPS on my iPhone took FOR-freaking-EVER to acquire a signal and then it would randomly drop for no reason. I should have taken it back immediately; because, I suspect I had a slightly dysfunctional GPS chip.

Safari on the iPhone does, however, have the Pre beat. Not by a lot though.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Not much you can do about the other Cons, but are you aware that in Pandora- Preferences, you can select "higher quality audio?" Works well unless you have marginal cell service.
    Yep. No significant audible difference.
    forgot to add the notifications as a pro for the pre, also I find the pre browder better than the iphone
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Forgot to mention contacts. Not having an option to sort by category is just ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I've noticed that the actual app takes longer to open on my Pre, but I have a useable signal lock much quicker than the iPhone so it actually makes it faster.
    I switched from a Treo 680 (after many Palm devices) on AT&T to a PrePlus on Verizon to get the WiFi hotspot thinking that I would use the hotspot to connect my iPod Touch for most non telephone use. I do have a few iPod apps that are not available on WebOS. Five weeks after the switch, I find that I use the PrePlus almost exclusively and rarely carry both devices. I agree with other posts that the iPod interface is somewhat smoother and in some ways cleaner, but not enough so to justify carrying two devices and bothering with connecting the iPod thru the mobile hotspot. I may change my tune when I am able to connect a bluetooth keyboard to the Touch with the next release of the iPhone/iPod operating system, but for now I am happy to use the PrePlus standalone most of the time.
    Yea notifications on the Pre+ (WebOS) is a plus as oppose to the notifications iPhone implements. Web OS is able to notify you of an event w/o obstructing the app you are running. I love it.
    I switched from a 16GB iPhone 3GS I agree that it's a side grade. I really dislike when reviews claim that a Pre Plus is a downgrade, it's not, there are simply some things the Pre does better than the iPhone and visa versa.
    I've came from a few top tier phones per se. I came to the Pre+ from a BB 9700, RIM's top tier phone until only recently when the 9650 came out. Before the 9700, I had the iPhone.

I've been pretty indecisive when it comes to phones. Having been around the block with many phones, I finally came to realize what I want.

I was afraid of leaving the iPhone for the 9700 initially because of apps but it turned out not to be the case. I loved the 9700 and did not regret it. After using the 9700 for a while, I found some of its shortcomings to the iPhone were too great.

Here's what I realized what I wanted. From the iPhone, I really liked the nice UI, browser, messaging, and email rendering (as compared to Blackberry). From the Blackberry, I really like being able to have true multitask (like do something else while loading a website you know will take a minute or so), speed, gmail integration, hardware keyboard (I found the iPhone keyboard to be fantastic, I loved it and the auto correction but liked a hard keyboard with tactile feedback slightly better), and of course battery life.

The Pre+ really gives me the best of both Phones and does it nicely. For the first few days, the battery was terrible, drained fast. After installing the uberkernel and govnah, battery has been fantastic running screenstate 125/800mhz. Also, I really like the homebrew stuff.

No regrets and even though the new iPhone is coming out soon, the OS is holding me back although I'm sure the hardware will be pretty attractive.
    I too switched from iPhone 3GS and so far I don't regret at all; and it feels like UPgrade to me !

My BIG cons:
    developer relationship: you don't need to play "cat & mouse" game with anyone, it's just open. period.
    multitasking: HUGE. no need to explain.
    notifications: VERY GOOD. my jailbroken iphone had it too, BUT Pre lets you interact with them: click, swipe, delete.
    TouchStone: cool gadget, remove clutter, looks good in my office, home, and car!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast