1.    #1  
    Check out this phone from Kyocera, out soon!

http://computers.cnet.com/wireless/0...html?tag=prmo5

If everything performs as they promise, this phone should really be considered. Makes alot of sense to have built-in grafitti and a number pad for quick calling, like a phone. A grafitti for short message or email writing. Flip-style to protect the screen. What a great idea! Keep a phone design, but usefulness of a PDA!

Why didn't Handspring think of this?? Seeing this product, the Treo 270 PALES by comparison.

16MB, CDMA, hi-res. Plays MP3s too.
    First off, CDMA is coming out soon. 16-bit screens expensive. And the Kyocera phone itself is smaller width wise than the Treo screen. People complained enough about the small screen on the Treos and this one is smaller. MP3s? who is going to fill up their precious 16Mb with MP3s? or you could get an expensive SD card...It's small, but is that wanted on a PDA with a screen...
    At $500, I think the Kyocera is going to fall flat on its face, it's too small and tries to merge a PDA with phone keeping too much emphasis on the phone part.
    Alex.
    I see some sense in this phone.

It's primarily a phone first than a PDA. This design works well as it is. I complained about the Treo _90_ screen is small, not the 180/270 because only Treo 90 is meant to be a replacement for the Prism/Edge. So the screen is too small for a PDA on the Treo 90 as a stand-alone PDA. The Kyocera is a phone firstly, and having a smaller screen is a wise decision. The Treo 270 hovers in that weird place that is neither a phone or a PDA but both at a same time.

It's got MMC slots for the MP3s, if you wish to run down the batteries by playing them. At least its expandable. And its got grafitti, unlike the Treo.

On the other hand, as a phone first, PDA second - the one on the Kyocera has a bigger screen than most other cellphones. As what was written on its preview, people treat Kyocera's phones as phones - so this approach, in theory, will work very well for Kyocera. See how the market responds.

I think its a little on the expensive side too.

--

Originally posted by tantousha
    First off, CDMA is coming out soon. 16-bit screens expensive. And the Kyocera phone itself is smaller width wise than the Treo screen. People complained enough about the small screen on the Treos and this one is smaller. MP3s? who is going to fill up their precious 16Mb with MP3s? or you could get an expensive SD card...It's small, but is that wanted on a PDA with a screen...
    At $500, I think the Kyocera is going to fall flat on its face, it's too small and tries to merge a PDA with phone keeping too much emphasis on the phone part.
    Alex.
    Originally posted by tantousha
    First off, CDMA is coming out soon.
    Really? That must be news to Sprint PCS and Verizon Wireless, who have built whole networks based on CDMA.
    What do you think, Sirs?
    16MB, CDMA, hi-res. Plays MP3s too.
    Since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, "hi-res" means the standard 160x160. It's high res for a phone. Normal res for a palm.