1.    #1  
    DailyTech - Google Unveils Killer Android 2.2 OS Update, 100K Android Phones Sold a Day

That is amazing and competition is always a winner for the consumer
    Google is clearly the top dog now. I need to play with Android 2.2 . I was not a huge fan of Android but I hear its killer now. Might have to use the 30 day return policy of Sprint and get a EVO 4G and see what its all about.
  3.    #3  
    While I don't think Android is as sleek and elegant as WebOS it is still great and growing much faster than WebOS ever will
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    While I don't think Android is as sleek and elegant as WebOS it is still great and growing much faster than WebOS ever will

I agree it's like webos has hit a brick wall
    Being a free OS from Google who doesn't like Free....and then bring in the manufactures....Moto, HTC, Dell, etc. etc. No doubt Androids are flooding the market to the point of saturation.
    Yeah but the more Android phones the more developers and more apps and support. And more choices of what phone appeals to you. WEBOS was a dud and developers are generally passing it by and no matter how much we love it , its a joke in the industry. Remmeber how many of us loved Palm OS. I did. but you need the public to embrace it and they have embraced Android. They have rejected WEB OS. I think WEB OS will be great on slates and printers etc but it was a utter faliure on phones. ( More due to the PRE hardware faluires , sprint ineptitude and no new devices) That being said I still think it was the best OS and would come right back to WEB OS if there was a new killer device.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 05/21/2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Google is clearly the top dog now. I need to play with Android 2.2 . I was not a huge fan of Android but I hear its killer now. Might have to use the 30 day return policy of Sprint and get a EVO 4G and see what its all about.
    RIM is still top dog. However, its looking like a 3 way race between RIM, Apple and Google. Nokia is still big outside the US but I think its on its way down in the smartphone space.

I think Microsoft will join Palm in the slice of the pie chart marked "Other".
  8.    #8  
    I am anxiously awaiting the new WinMo phones, it looks amazing to me
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    Android is certainly on the rise. It is now the iPhone alternative - a role Palm aspired to fill. But a little perspective. Since Android is primarily an OS which multiple manufacturers can use, it's growth is not surprising. How may different Android based phones are there on the market right now? 12? 15? 18? On how many carriers, for how long?

It a strategy which has advantages and potential disadvantages as well (fragmentation, market cannibalization - see Google's Nexus One).

There is still lots of room for success, with a market growing at plus 20% a year. That's not to say that Palm/HP will be, but if they are smart - there is still a clear path to success.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I want to see a video of the 2.2 Froyo update on some older hardware to see if it really boosted speed up that much.
    Well, 2.2 is unlikely to be supported on devices released prior to 2010, at least according to HTC. They said that all devices released this year will get it, at least.

I'd think Hero, Eris, etc. are going to be stuck at 2.1.

I'm looking forward to playing with a 2.2 device. The beta suggests they've fixed a lot of the user interface problems... speed is apparently much greater too. They've also added in real Exchange support. If they've fixed the stability and compatibility problems, they could be a contender for a real, usable device for business for the first time.

As for HP's plans for webOS, I have no doubt they're planning an assault in the smartphone business. The big thing is going to be open standards and web-powered messaging. As wireless becomes increasingly ubiquitous, the market for proprietary "apps" will decrease and we'll all be increasingly web-connected. In that universe, the OS is a matter of personal preference, and most apps will run using that OS's user convention.

HP also has a long history of selling multiple platforms and "competing in markets where it isn't one of the top three," despite some ignorant comments to the contrary made earlier in the thread. It still competes across a range of mainframe and minicomputer OSes, multiple server OSes, and multiple desktop OSes -- most of which aren't "in the top three."

To understand HP, you have to understand that the company is about choice and flexibility and what customers want, not about market domination. It's the world's largest technology company because it offers a MASSIVE array of choices in all sorts of form factors and technologies, supports them well, and customers buy from them. They're the anti-Apple -- they give you what you want, in whatever flavor you want, rather than telling you what choices you have and forcing those choices on you after purchase.

For instance, they offer printers for personal use that are laser or inkjet -- your choice of technology. They offer high-speed MFPs for office use that are laser or inkjet. You can buy servers from them that run Windows, or Linux, or Tru64, or even VMS. You can buy PCs from them with Linux or Windows. And so on.

webOS will be another choice for customers, and like the other choices HP has already released in other areas, investment will continue and the company will differentiate on that platform while continuing to support a wide range of choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    The beta suggests they've fixed a lot of the user interface problems...
    like what? I am a little underwhelmed by this update (exchange updates withstanding).

Maybe it has a lot to do with that I really don't care about Flash. Otherwise it looks kind of like a minor update.
    You can buy servers from them that run Windows, or Linux, or Tru64, or even VMS.
    Since they own VMS that is not really surprising. HP bought Compaq who bought DEC so now own all the intellectual property of the former number 1 mini computer company.

More surprising is that you can also buy servers running Solaris from HP.
    Well, 2.2 is unlikely to be supported on devices released prior to 2010, at least according to HTC. They said that all devices released this year will get it, at least.

I'd think Hero, Eris, etc. are going to be stuck at 2.1.

I'm looking forward to playing with a 2.2 device. The beta suggests they've fixed a lot of the user interface problems... speed is apparently much greater too. They've also added in real Exchange support. If they've fixed the stability and compatibility problems, they could be a contender for a real, usable device for business for the first time.

As for HP's plans for webOS, I have no doubt they're planning an assault in the smartphone business. The big thing is going to be open standards and web-powered messaging. As wireless becomes increasingly ubiquitous, the market for proprietary "apps" will decrease and we'll all be increasingly web-connected. In that universe, the OS is a matter of personal preference, and most apps will run using that OS's user convention.

HP also has a long history of selling multiple platforms and "competing in markets where it isn't one of the top three," despite some ignorant comments to the contrary made earlier in the thread. It still competes across a range of mainframe and minicomputer OSes, multiple server OSes, and multiple desktop OSes -- most of which aren't "in the top three."

To understand HP, you have to understand that the company is about choice and flexibility and what customers want, not about market domination. It's the world's largest technology company because it offers a MASSIVE array of choices in all sorts of form factors and technologies, supports them well, and customers buy from them. They're the anti-Apple -- they give you what you want, in whatever flavor you want, rather than telling you what choices you have and forcing those choices on you after purchase.

For instance, they offer printers for personal use that are laser or inkjet -- your choice of technology. They offer high-speed MFPs for office use that are laser or inkjet. You can buy servers from them that run Windows, or Linux, or Tru64, or even VMS. You can buy PCs from them with Linux or Windows. And so on.

webOS will be another choice for customers, and like the other choices HP has already released in other areas, investment will continue and the company will differentiate on that platform while continuing to support a wide range of choices.
    I doubt that the Hero/Eris will be limited to 2.1 considering the memory footprint is much less on 2.2.
    I don't think the hero will get 2.2 because it took forever to even get 2.1 and ironically it comes out the the day google introduces froyo.

I loaded up froyo on my hero and its nice but you don't get any of the speed increase due to being a developers rom. I like android but I'm ****ed that the hero eris are basically worthless because android lifts their standard to 1ghz 7 months later. This is one of the reasons I keep my pre on standby
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I doubt that the Hero/Eris will be limited to 2.1 considering the memory footprint is much less on 2.2.
    The Hero and Eris won't support Flash since they don't have a Cortex based CPU. Adobe has already said they won't support the Android devices with the slower/older CPUs.

With Flash built into 2.2 I don't know how it would work. Maybe disable/remove Flash before releasing it for these older phones?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    like what?
    The Android Market interface looks much-improved (and better than the latest Apple store or Palm App catalog interfaces).

The standard multitouch looks better. So does the App Drawer replacement. The buttons also looked bigger and more responsive.

Nothing super-major individually, but put 'em together and it looks a lot more usable than what the Incredible has with 2.1...
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Since they own VMS that is not really surprising. HP bought Compaq who bought DEC so now own all the intellectual property of the former number 1 mini computer company.

More surprising is that you can also buy servers running Solaris from HP.
    Well, VMS was supposed to "go away." If HP was like Apple, they'd have forced people out of VMS years ago and into some new solution -- yet here they are.

Instead, they give people the platform THEY want, and make it work with everything else.

There's no reason to think it will be different in webOS's case.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I don't think the hero will get 2.2 because it took forever to even get 2.1 and ironically it comes out the the day google introduces froyo.

I loaded up froyo on my hero and its nice but you don't get any of the speed increase due to being a developers rom. I like android but I'm ****ed that the hero eris are basically worthless because android lifts their standard to 1ghz 7 months later. This is one of the reasons I keep my pre on standby
    It's also why Android isn't really a serious contender as a "prosumer" OS yet. Until OTA updates provide a consistent upgrade experience for users, and most handsets are at parity in terms of updates, it's going to remain a tough sell (and primarily for geeks).
    Well, VMS was supposed to "go away." If HP was like Apple, they'd have forced people out of VMS years ago and into some new solution -- yet here they are.

Instead, they give people the platform THEY want, and make it work with everything else.

There's no reason to think it will be different in webOS's case.
    VMS is a proprietary OS that is fading away. However, while there is money in supporting the legacy user base, it all goes to HP. Why not continue to support it.

Other fun fact, Windows NT was developed by DEC OS developers who worked on VMS.