Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just had a user walk into my office, steam coming out of his ears. His Verizon based Android phone was updated to newest Android OS and he subsequently:

1) Was locked out of his phone and had to have it reset at the store (no, he didn't have a password on it and the store techs could not help him so it was not set to a default)

2) Lost all of his contacts... which will need to be restored from his old dumbphone

3) Lost the ability to text and make phone calls temporarily.

And before the Android trolls try to take me on (I know who some of you are) chill out! This is not a slam against the Android OS - that where I would reluctantly go were there no WebOS. It's just a reminder to all of the down-in-the-mouth members of this forum that no phone is perfect. This is all leading edge stuff for the most part, and so there will be challenges with any product. I work with all of them over a base of 3,000 plus users and Blackberries and Apples have their frustrations too.

And this happened to at least 5 phones that I know of, so it wasn't just an isolated quirk.
    I agree 100%. People have to realize that no phone or carrier is perfect. They all have good points and bad points...
    Thanks makes me feel better about the few quarks my Pre has.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    Very true! And thanks for the post! I was just in a meeting the other day with a really big exec, (waaay bigger than me) and they couldn't set an appointment with me on their Blackberry because an update screwed up their calendar.

I too am not saying that the Pre is flawless, but teh smartphone world is brand spanking new in the scheme of things, and here in Pre land, we're doing okay in the grand scheme of things!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    but we can all agree that windows mobile is the worst..lol.. I couldn't even hang up the phone one day even though I was pressing the software and hardware hang up button.
    Actually, a lack of reliable OTA backup makes Android more likely to have these sorts of failures. iPhone has a similar problem -- if your phone gets hosed before an iTunes sync, KABOOM, all the "new" data is gone.

OTA is a powerful thing that only Palm built in from the ground up. Everyone else on other OSes added it in as an afterthought (Android, WinMo) or didn't add it in at all (Apple).
    Quote Originally Posted by fredox19 View Post
    but we can all agree that windows mobile is the worst..lol.. I couldn't even hang up the phone one day even though I was pressing the software and hardware hang up button.
    It also seemed like I had to reboot my Palm wx everyday.

Oh I dislike Microsoft so much. Yet I can't find myself going with Apple. So I live a life in the dark side.Thank god for WebOS
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    All to true c-note, but it does seem people try alot harder to bash webOS and palm, than other platforms and I will never quite get why.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    All to true c-note, but it does seem people try alot harder to bash webOS and palm, than other platforms and I will never quite get why.
    Fear. Fear that this new little OS could actually be so much better than their coveted iPhone OS or Android.

Or maybe insecurity about their choice in OS that they make themselves feel better if they bash the other OSes.
    Last edited by z28marols1; 05/20/2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: typos drive me nuts... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by z28marols1 View Post
    Fear. Fear that this new little OS could actually be so much better than their coveted iPhone OS or Android.

Or maybe insecurity about their choice in OS that they make themselves feel better if they bash the other OSes.
    Seriously? This particular forum is a non-stop Android and iPhone bashfest. It's silly, just like the notion that anyone "fears" WebOS.

It's certainly not unique to this forum, but the hostility here to other OSes is more intense than some other forums I've been to. And for no reason. There are aspects of Android that WebOS could seriously improve from, and vice verse. Same goes for iPhone.
    Yeah, imagine that... Palm people tend to prefer the superiority of their platform. And lord knows that Apple and Android people just love Palm and each other's platforms. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Seriously? This particular forum is a non-stop Android and iPhone bashfest. It's silly, just like the notion that anyone "fears" WebOS.

It's certainly not unique to this forum, but the hostility here to other OSes is more intense than some other forums I've been to. And for no reason. There are aspects of Android that WebOS could seriously improve from, and vice verse. Same goes for iPhone.
    Yeah, seriously. I think it rediculous how many threads are on this forum bashing webOS. This is a forum dedicated to that particular OS. If you dont like it, you could very easily go somewhere else. But for some reason so many people feel the NEED to bash webOS like it will make them feel better about choosing a different OS. I find it rather stupid. It does, however, make perfect sense for there to be some negative talk about other OSes on this forum since most people here chose webOS for their personal use over the competition.

And yes, ******* of other OSes (by virtue of being a ****** which is nothing more than somebody who thinks that their personal choice of product X is whats best for everybody out there and everything else sucks even though everybody is different) are afraid of being proven wrong after all their posturing.

I think anybody who mindlessly and ignorantly bashes anything has a fear of being proven wrong. Otherwise it would only be a conversation of pros and cons, not a competition.
    I completely understand and accept that the Pre has had many hardware concerns.
    I also accept that some devices are more prone to have issues than others.
    The Pre is a Slider. It has a door over the usb port right?
    My treo pro has no moving parts, and there isn't any doors or flaps covering any ports.
    I've been browsing the Pixi forums lately, and they don't seem to be having the issues - No moving parts.
    The iPhone has no moving parts.
    Most all who complain here about hardware issues will still say the OS is awesome.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    So true. All phones have their pros and cons. I get so tired of people picking on one OS and claiming that another is perfect. Pick the one you like the best but realize that another OS will have certain aspects that are both better and worse.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I completely understand and accept that the Pre has had many hardware concerns.
    I also accept that some devices are more prone to have issues than others.
    The Pre is a Slider. It has a door over the usb port right?
    My treo pro has no moving parts, and there isn't any doors or flaps covering any ports.
    I've been browsing the Pixi forums lately, and they don't seem to be having the issues - No moving parts.
    The iPhone has no moving parts.
    Most all who complain here about hardware issues will still say the OS is awesome.
    +1 almost everyone that complain about the phone (including me) complain about the hardware, not the software. I think WebOS is great, but the hardware is a POS! My first pre, the volume would go down automatically, and the headjack was going, 2nd pre, had a crack going from the usb to the side of the screen, didn't send it in till the speaker phone broke, 3rd pre the head phone jack stop working again. I'm on my 4th pre in less then a yr. Again webos is great, but they lost me do to hardware, to much of a pain is the xss and waiting 2 week from palm to get my phone replace. I want to share this in precentral because I know Palm check the forum out for feed back, and hopefully next time they'll put out a real phone not a fisher price hardware phone.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fredox19 View Post
    but we can all agree that windows mobile is the worst..
    Nope.

Never really had that many problems with it. A reboot once a week or so does seem to speed it up, and the UI is... unintuitive? inconsistent?? overcomplex??? But it rarely crashes, and has never lost data or otherwise seriously let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    So true. All phones have their pros and cons. I get so tired of people picking on one OS and claiming that another is perfect. Pick the one you like the best but realize that another OS will have certain aspects that are both better and worse.
    Amen!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Never really had that many problems with it. A reboot once a week or so does seem to speed it up, and the UI is... unintuitive? inconsistent?? overcomplex??? But it rarely crashes, and has never lost data or otherwise seriously let me down.
    It actually was a better true multi-tasker than the Pre too. I find that music played over A2DP with the Pre stutters if you have much of anything running in the background. Never had that with WM (except maybe with the Treo 700, which was way under-specced - thanks Palm )

Quote Originally Posted by fredox19
    almost everyone that complain about the phone (including me) complain about the hardware, not the software. I think WebOS is great, but the hardware is a POS!
    A more accurate depiction might be that folks complain about the hardware more than the software, but the software has plenty of shortcomings too whether it's the slow-loading of apps, too many card warnings, weak cut-'n-paste implementation, or half-finished feeling of many built-in apps. From a software point-of-view, most felt the Pre had a lot more potential than many other OSes, but to me that simply means the Pre has a bunch of unmet potential.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It actually was a better true multi-tasker than the Pre too. I find that music played over A2DP with the Pre stutters if you have much of anything running in the background. Never had that with WM (except maybe with the Treo 700, which was way under-specced - thanks Palm )
    That surprises me. Are you using a Sprint model or the Verizon Pre Plus? I've been OK in those areas (with a Pre Plus).
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    That surprises me. Are you using a Sprint model or the Verizon Pre Plus? I've been OK in those areas (with a Pre Plus).
    Pre plus (Verizon). I get a hiccup, stutter or momentary pause at least once every other song. My "mono-tasking" BB Tour works better than that with music in the background.
  20.    #20  
    Add the Evo to the list of promising phones but still fighting bugs like the Pre and everyone else.

(Not meant to be a knock at the Evo... just a reality check, we all know the Pre has issues too - it's a matter of what bugs you prefer to fight with - and pay for )

Sprint EVO 4G Launch Faces Bugs and Weak 4G Performance - PCWorld Business Center
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast