1.    #1  
    With even Sprint admitting they bungled the Pre's launch, will that push Palm/HP away from Sprint fora while?

I imagine they're going to let the Pre and Pixi marinate for a while on AT&T before they even think about announcing a new device. And now that they have some money behind them, they don't have to strategically launch on the third place carrier.

So you can add the AT&T window likely being a couple months before announcing a new device, then probably a couple months to build hype for the new device, add for setbacks/delays/strategic timing for release (say Christmas time for example), and then undoubtedly a period of exclusivity possibly on another carrier.

Add all that up and it could very well conceivably be another eight months to a year or longer before WebOS makes it back to Sprint.

Obviously that time can easily be widdled down if they stick with Sprint and have a device near ready for market or don't go with exclusively with another carrier, but why would they go back to Sprint after buddying up with them before and ending up either no better or worse off?
    Good question, I just asked a similar one on the precentral front page. Here's another way to ask the question: assuming equally good marketing from HP/Palm to every carrier and enough inventory at launch, which network would sell the most pres?
    I would assume they will have to put out new product fairly soon on at least one network so as to generate revenue to justify to the purchase price of the co.
    I cannot help but wonder if all of HP's efforts will directed to using the WebOS on their slate and simply ignore the phone aspects for awhile. Time will tell - I would guess we would "know" something by the end of July.
    I would guess that if they weren't going to bring a new phone altogether to Sprint that we'd at least see the Plus models come to the network. Without something bigger in the foreseeable future, I'd at least upgrade to a Plus until the next one came along.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Good question, I just asked a similar one on the precentral front page. Here's another way to ask the question: assuming equally good marketing from HP/Palm to every carrier and enough inventory at launch, which network would sell the most pres?
    I would assume they will have to put out new product fairly soon on at least one network so as to generate revenue to justify to the purchase price of the co.
    At this point I think it's timing more than the carrier that will determine sales. The original Pre's launch was perfect as they got it out before the iPhone, many people on Sprint were starved for a decent device, and VZW didn't have anything in the pipes for a while. But of course, we know how that went and here we are.

But you look at the Droid which turns out to be a so-so device but sold like hotcakes as it essentially cornered the holiday market as far as new phones went.

So, if they launched something in the next 3 months or so:

Sprint: on one hand you have the WebOS early adopters craving a new WebOS device, but on the other you're going to have lost many of those users to the EVO so it's akin to launching on VZW two months after the Droid

AT&T: there are a lot of people that want a smartphone that don't want an iPhone or WinMo, and there's little else available so there's a market there. But you just launched your year old hardware on the network, how will that go over?

VZW: may be the best bet as the Incredible will be a little stale and maybe you can wrangle the people that don't want Android and didn't want the aged, problematic WebOS devices that launched in January.

T-Molie: nah

With a solid device and good marketing you can transcend any of those obstacles though.
    Sprint is not in business to sell phones. They subsidize phones to get people to use their service. They are in business to sell phone service. If they see users begin to move away from Sprint to other providers because they do not offer Palm phones, it will get their attention.

Personally, I don't think they're going to allow that to happen. I believe you'll continue to see Palm devices on Sprint.
    I still think late summer/early fall is the time when a new device will come out.

1.Palm did announce that there will be a new SDK with more API's for developers in the fall.

2. HP and Palm have both stated that Palm will continue with it's current production schedule. I'm sure they have been working on new hardware specs which is probably at full speed now that the Pre is available on the 3 largest networks.

3. The HP deal will not be finalized till July so Iwould think the next device would come soon after that as a way to get publicity for the "new" cell phone player. I don't think they want to get swallowed up by the EVO and iphone launch hype which will consume most of the summer.

Just my thoughts but I don't see waiting till December as a smart move by either Palm or HP but I guess it is possible. That's too much time away from an ever changing market. I just don't think they want to repeat the mistake of rushing out new hardware and software when it wasn't ready.
    I honestly think the Pre Plus & Pixi Plus will come to Sprint and the new Palm phone won't be out till next year. But the tablet will come before end of year
    Quote Originally Posted by draztikrhymez View Post
    I honestly think the Pre Plus & Pixi Plus will come to Sprint and the new Palm phone won't be out till next year. But the tablet will come before end of year
    If that was true, they'd have to scrap the current new devices they have planned which is not likely. The Pre didn't launch till June 6 when it first came out on Sprint. Most likely a new device will come out end of the summer this year. They already spent time and money on R&D for this, so I don't think they're gonna throw all of that effort in the trash.

I doubt Rubinstein was referring to 2011 when talking in this article:
    More Rubinstein interviews: Bullish, 'strong pipeline of products
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Rubinstein was also actively looking for a partner or for Palm to be acquired when he said this:

On Palm's future as an independent company: "bullish" with a "plan that gets us to profitability." There are also no plans to raise additional capital. "We plan on sticking around."
    Are you saying he was lying about having new devices in the pipeline? That would be a really big blatant lie. On top of that HP has said they'd have a hands off approach to the acquisition of palm. So, once again I can't see why they wouldn't have a new device coming out towards the end of this year.
    I looked at palm's financial projections in the proxy and it looks to me like they anticipated a new device in Oct/Nov (end of Q2), assuming they did not get acquired. See my thoughts here in thread below and let me know what you think:
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...device-q2.html
    Sprint's smartphone sale share is extremely weak -- even weaker than T-Mobile, who is a much smaller carrier. It would behoove them to partner more closely with Palm or another major player to get their share up, and stick with something for longer than 8 to 12 months.

Sprint has a "smartphone du jour" that it puts lots of resources behind and then dumps unceremoniously 12 months later, leaving users stranded. Remember the Samsung Instinct? Even the Pre is now in that category.
    Sprint has a "smartphone du jour" that it puts lots of resources behind and then dumps unceremoniously 12 months later, leaving users stranded. Remember the Samsung Instinct? Even the Pre is now in that category.

Yeah, they are both yesteryears tech that never really caught on to the masses as a result has been relegated to junk status. Palm should have put the Pre on more than one carrier which they are doing now but its too late. No body wants to buy last year tech and i'm sure word of mouth got around about the Pre's build quality and lack of the most basic features.

The instinct demise was the mandatory $99 plan not apps and it wasn't no Iphone.
    Last edited by kinster02; 05/21/2010 at 01:18 AM.