Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    okay, well since you all are so eager to help, I will tell you what she wants:

At least a 14" screen.
    Webcam.
    Ability to burn photo CDs.
    Lightweight (she is a flight attendant and brings it with her; she thinks my MBP is too heavy at 5.6 pounds), so under 5.5 lbs?
    Windows 7.
    TRUE battery life of at least 4 hours. Doesn't have to be much more than that but at least that much.

Edited to add: UNDER $1000!

What say ye?
    Last edited by finngirl; 05/24/2010 at 09:39 PM.
    Well, first I recommend that she rethink the screen size because 14" isn't really relavent in the world of widescreen displays. For me, I am more interested in resolution than I am in size, so the 13" range is what works for me. I think it's more important to have 720p resolution (1366x768). I have a 13.3" screen at that resolution, both my daughters have 12.1" and I think both sizes are far superior to my Thinkpad that is 14" at 1024x768. My company just bought some new thinkpads that run at 1200x800, and those are even worse!

I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't have a native resolution of 1266x768 or higher, regardless of screen size.

That said, here are some decent models to consider. Don't assume these are the best prices, just look at them for the specs...

This is what I have:
    Toshiba Satellite T135D-S1326 13.3-inch Notebook - Buy from Microsoft Store

This is what I would have if I had found it before buying the Toshiba:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Fac...&skuId=9893426

I get 8-9 hours of battery on my Toshiba, and the HP should be just as good. Unless someone is burning CDs and DVDs all the time, you should be fine with an external DVD burner. Here is what I have, and it gets it's power from the usb plug so you don't need an ac adapter. (The USB cable stores in a recessed area on the bottom):

Newegg.com - LITE-ON 8X DVD+R USB Black 8X External Top Load DVD/CD Burner Model eTAU208-96 LightScribe Support

PS, this conversation is waaaay off topic for this thread...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/24/2010 at 10:06 PM.
    ^^ All nice and of course I'd like to add:

Lenovo - Laptops €“ notebooks €“ netbooks €“ tablet PCs €“ mobile workstations

For what she wants there are a lot of choices from different manufacturers for under $1000. I particularly like the Lenovo offerings because they've retained the IBM thinkpad toughness and also offer excellent value for the money (IMO). I posted the previous link only because the Envy and Macbook Pro were mentioned as possible choices.

This is beauty of the Windows world - so many great choices at a reasonable price.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Eh, its a "done" topic anyhow.

Thanks, I will pass those recs on to her, and its a terrific idea - for weight if nothing else - to buy an external burner.

thank you
    Darreno1, she was looking at those....but I couldn't confirm for her that they had webcams. Do they?
    BTW, everyone crying that they MUST jump to EVO or Incredible because they NEED a snapdragon CPU... read what nVidia says about their mobile CPU, and about WebOS...

Nvidia CEO: Netbooks and Tablets to Meld, Hints at Tegra-Powered webOS Devices
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    ^^ All nice and of course I'd like to add:

Lenovo - Laptops – notebooks – netbooks – tablet PCs – mobile workstations

For what she wants there are a lot of choices from different manufacturers for under $1000. I particularly like the Lenovo offerings because they've retained the IBM thinkpad toughness and also offer excellent value for the money (IMO). I posted the previous link only because the Envy and Macbook Pro were mentioned as possible choices.

This is beauty of the Windows world - so many great choices at a reasonable price.
    FYI, you can't actually say that Lenovo retained IBM thinkpad toughness... The fact is that Lenovo designed and manufactured IBM ThinkPads from the beginning... If it hadn't been for Lenovo, IBM would never had a successful laptop family. Everything they came out with prior to Lenovo was a failure.

I'm just having fun with you, of course. But it's true, Lenovo is the reason why the ThinkPad hardware was so rugged, and the designs so good...
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Darreno1, she was looking at those....but I couldn't confirm for her that they had webcams. Do they?
    A lot of them do, unfortunately just looking at the specs it's hard to figure out the ones that do or don't. They need to remedy that.

If you use the 'help me choose a PC' from their product menu, they'll narrow it down for you and email the recommendations based on price, features etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    FYI, you can't actually say that Lenovo retained IBM thinkpad toughness... The fact is that Lenovo designed and manufactured IBM ThinkPads from the beginning... If it hadn't been for Lenovo, IBM would never had a successful laptop family. Everything they came out with prior to Lenovo was a failure.

I'm just having fun with you, of course. But it's true, Lenovo is the reason why the ThinkPad hardware was so rugged, and the designs so good...

No worries, I did not know Lenovo made the Thinkpads originally. Makes sense.
    A lot of them do, unfortunately just looking at the specs it's hard to figure out the ones that do or don't. They need to remedy that.

LOL. Typical Windows product marketing!

Kidding.

Mostly.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    LOL. Typical Windows product marketing!

Kidding.

Mostly.

So......did she find a Laptop?
    I sent them all over to her. We'll see.
    ^^Considering you could probably buy 2 laptops for the price of one Macbook, if one laptop breaks because of negligence (usually the case), you can probably pickup another new one and still end up breaking even.
    Except you had to run Windows which some wouldn't consider breaking even.

BTW I bought 2 Netbooks last April for around $350 each plus the 2GB memory modules I had to add. Of course the power supply on one of them has already failed and the ASUS warranty for power supplies is only 90 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Except you had to run Windows which some wouldn't consider breaking even.
    Windows 7 > OSux

BTW I bought 2 Netbooks last April for around $350 each plus the 2GB memory modules I had to add. Of course the power supply on one of them has already failed and the ASUS warranty for power supplies is only 90 days.
    And....? What about the people that paid over $2000 for their Macbook Pros only to have their hard disk or screen flake out just after the warranty runs out? ***** happens. For every one netbook with an issue, there are probably tons with none.
    Windows 7 > OSux

And....? What about the people that paid over $2000 for their Macbook Pros only to have their hard disk or screen flake out just after the warranty runs out? ***** happens. For every one netbook with an issue, there are probably tons with none.
    Windows 7 may be better than Vista or even XP, but its still Windows. OS X is a much better OS.

Perhaps there are "tons" of netbooks and cheap Windows laptops with no issues but most of the ones I have owned have had issues. Less so with desktops since I have built those myself using high quality components.

Also, I know of people who have had issues with their HP laptops and have had problems fixing them under warranty. Fortunately they worked for a large corporate customer of HP and the corporation's HP account manager was able to resolve the issue. HP clearly cares much more about its Corporate customers than its consumer customers.
    I think Windows 7 vs. OSX will ALWAYS be based on opinion. So lets refrain from bringing that up.
    6) Ummmmm....$10 per month = $240 per YEAR? huh?[/QUOTE]

HUH!!?! Cannot compute.. cannot compute... system overload. system overload.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    haha can't believe you were the first one to catch that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Windows 7 may be better than Vista or even XP, but its still Windows. OS X is a much better OS.

Perhaps there are "tons" of netbooks and cheap Windows laptops with no issues but most of the ones I have owned have had issues. Less so with desktops since I have built those myself using high quality components.

Also, I know of people who have had issues with their HP laptops and have had problems fixing them under warranty. Fortunately they worked for a large corporate customer of HP and the corporation's HP account manager was able to resolve the issue. HP clearly cares much more about its Corporate customers than its consumer customers.

Well, I know people who've had problems getting warranty work done with almighty Apple. I know one guy who had to raise his voice in the Apple store to get them to swap out his iPhone which was a pretty hilarious story in of itself. I think consumers in general, will have stories to tell regardless of manufacturer.

I don't know why you're having so many issues with your laptops/netbooks. Usually when I hear one person is having issues with so many different pieces of hardware, I usually look for the problem source between the keyboard and chair. Not saying that's the case with you, but it did cross my mind, lol.

As for OSX being a better OS? Well I'll never convince you otherwise obviously, but from my own experience troubleshooting it, it's not impressive in the least. I'd rather run a copy of Ubuntu if I wanted to use a unix based OS.
    As for OSX being a better OS? Well I'll never convince you otherwise obviously, but from my own experience troubleshooting it, it's not impressive in the least. I'd rather run a copy of Ubuntu if I wanted to use a unix based OS.
    Ubuntu is great if you want to run all open source apps but there are no Adobe apps for it, no MS Office, and nothing like Aperture (or Adobe Lightroom).
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast