Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    That's because they are a monopoly and none of their computers are under $1000.

Why, exactly, are you calling Apple a "monopoly?" You understand what a monopoly is, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Why, exactly, are you calling Apple a "monopoly?" You understand what a monopoly is, right?
    If I want a computer running OSX, what other brand is there? And I'm not talking hackintosh here. I'm speaking from the viewpoint of the average Joe.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Maybe your Mom is a candidate for one of the cheaper iPads. As far as the ease of use claim goes, I haven't been using a Mac for long (a couple of weeks) but I am finding it doesn't get in the way like Windows does.
    Interestingly enough, I did by my mom an iPad a month before mothers day... and ended up keeping it for myself. I have my detailed likes/dislikes review here:

PreCentral Thread: iPad Review: My Likes and Dislikes

I didn't intend on keeping it but when the Courrier got cancelled I went for it. It really is ideal for my mom but as a 1st gen device then it's too expensive so I'm shopping for something purse-able like a netbook now.

(BTW. You probably already know this, but when it comes to the build quality of Macbooks then take advice from the people who actually OWN them. The latest Macbooks are solid machines and, if your wife likes OS X, worth every penny. I know it's a bit demeaning to say this, but I'm pretty surprised that my wife figured out how to make her own slideshows and Movie edits in the iLife suite.)

[Edit: And yes, Picasa, Windows Movie Maker etc let you do the same thing in Windows. Media creation is not a Mac exclusive feature... boy, the things you have to say to make sure you don't offend anyone ]
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/22/2010 at 07:19 PM.
    If I want a computer running OSX, what other brand is there? And I'm not talking hackintosh here. I'm speaking from the viewpoint of the average Joe.
    So Apple has a monopoly on selling Apple products?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So Apple has a monopoly on selling Apple products?

Here's a fine article that describes best why I consider them a monopoly:

Apple Watch - Corporate - Is Apple a Dangerous Monopoly?

OSX is different enough that most people shopping around for a Windows PC aren't going to easily consider switching to Apple. Same goes for Mac users. Users aren't going to easily consider a Windows PC. However when it comes to competition within each sphere, things are vastly different. Apple has none as they have tight control over everything. Hence they are free to charge higher prices without fear.
    I think it would be far better and cheaper for you in the long run if your wife changed her habits. I myself carried around a sub $600.00 lenovo notebook with me for the last 3 or so years and it still looks and works like brand new. Banging around a Macbook isn't advisable either unless she can afford to lose a hard disk or replace a screen. Unless it has a toughbook design, laptops are supposed to be treated gently period. And by gently I dont mean babying them constantly but with consideration for the hard disk inside and the screen / hinges. By far the most frequent physical issues we run into with notebooks are dying or dead hard disks though.
    Changing my wife's laptop will be far easier than changing my wife. The two weak points I run into with laptops are the power cord connection to the laptop and the hinge / catch on the laptop lid. Apple at least has the power cord and catch covered. I guess I will find out how well the hinge holds up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

(BTW. You probably already know this, but when it comes to the build quality of Macbooks then take advice from the people who actually OWN them. The latest Macbooks are solid machines and, if your wife likes OS X, worth every penny. I know it's a bit demeaning to say this, but I'm pretty surprised that my wife figured out how to make her own slideshows and Movie edits in the iLife suite.)
    My wife has zero experience with Mac OS X. Her only Apple device is an iPod Touch. She still wants a Mac though.
    Changing my wife's laptop will be far easier than changing my wife. The two weak points I run into with laptops are the power cord connection to the laptop and the hinge / catch on the laptop lid. Apple at least has the power cord and catch covered. I guess I will find out how well the hinge holds up.
    I'd get that 3 year Apple Protection Plan. Good luck, looks like you're gonna need it
    I'd get that 3 year Apple Protection Plan. Good luck, looks like you're gonna need it
    Of course, and if I have any problems I will take it back to one of the four local Apple stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    When the Palm pre was released the hardware platform was state of the art - on par with the iPhone 3GS. The build quality sucked however, which could have led to many of the problems that followed. I believe the forthcoming webOS phone will not only be cutting edge in design, but also in spec's, utilizing the OMAP4 platform and including many of its available bells and whistles.
    This.
    As far as the ease of use claim goes, I haven't been using a Mac for long (a couple of weeks) but I am finding it doesn't get in the way like Windows does.
    Dude, you gave the million dollar line!!!

That's what I try to convey to people when they use a Mac for 5 minutes and say "how is it different from Windows?".

It's not until you have used a Mac that you find out how annoying Windows can be. Like more than a few people I have converted to Mac says:

"ONCE YOU GO MAC, YOU DON'T WANT TO GO BACK!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I know it's a bit demeaning to say this, but I'm pretty surprised that my wife figured out how to make her own slideshows and Movie edits in the iLife suite.)

[Edit: And yes, Picasa, Windows Movie Maker etc let you do the same thing in Windows. Media creation is not a Mac exclusive feature... boy, the things you have to say to make sure you don't offend anyone ]
    What you mentioned about your wife is what 99.9% of the people on this forum and tech geeks in general don't get. People want to use computers to get things accomplished as easily as possible. They don't care about the specs and all that other mumbo jumbo that gets thrown around.

Macs make that happen better than Windows could ever dream of. The Mac and the software that comes with it is designed to get out of the way but give you the tools to easily accomplish your goal.

For all of you that mentioned Picasa, Windows Movie Maker, etc. Again, you are just spouting off some stat on the side of the box that says it's included. Actually set your technology clueless mom, wife, significant other, etc down in front of a Mac using iLife and a PC using that crappy, horrible free crap they throw on a PC and tell me that they won't have better results on a Mac without having to read a manual and struggle. Oh, and that free crap will bother you non-stop until you buy the upgrade to the full package.

They will have better results on a Mac and actually get their project done.

For all of you that keep harping on price with the Mac. What you are paying for with the Mac is the fact that the average person can actually get something accomplished on a Mac. Use Urkel's wife as an example of the majority of people as to why Mac's are worth paying more for.

As I have shown in other posts, Mac's sales are growing faster overall than the PC industry. That's why. One by one people are going to the Apple Store or getting exposed to the Mac and when they see it's better, many do buy them.
    See, if the PC manufacturers actually tried to make money and not get into a pricing war with the other PC manufacturer's they could actually develop something similar to what Apple has with mag safe.

Also, Apple apparently looks at how people use laptops and thought of ways to fix some of the major problems that laptops suffer from, like broken power cord connections and hinges. They are both superior to what comes on the average PC laptop.

Just another example of why Apple's stuff cost more. They actually engineer them for real world use and that does cost them money to develop it and it helps the consumer, and it's something that PC manufacturer's don't bother to do for the consumer, so Apple should charge more. Because I'm sure one broken power cord connection on a PC getting repaired will wipe out all you saved over a Mac and then some.
    ^^Considering you could probably buy 2 laptops for the price of one Macbook, if one laptop breaks because of negligence (usually the case), you can probably pickup another new one and still end up breaking even.
    I have a friend who is looking for a laptop right now - and she has only worked with Windows and wants to stay with Windows.

Surprisingly, for the comparable specs, most of the Windows laptops she is looking at are only a few hundred less than a comparably fast Mac. I was surprised. There are plenty of $500-$600 laptops out there but they just don't have what she thinks she wants. She's got to spend $700-$800. In fact, the one she picked out first was as expensive as a Mac (the Envy).

(Caveat: I know the hobbyists here know how to buy parts, and pieces and don't care the manufacturer, or how good the support is, etc. but she also wants a name manufacturer with decent customer support she can call - most people, including me, are like this and aren't capable of a do-it-yourself experience.)
    Ya know, every time I see this thread title show up in the search list, I get that pain behind my eye. Why? Because I consider my Pre+ to BE A HIGH-END phone.

I still see it as being better than anything else on VZ, better than an iPhone, and more amazing with each new discovery I make.

When I show this phone to others (even Android and iPhone users) I don't apologize or make excuses. I start with "this thing is awesome - watch this..." and they are blown away. This weekend I used it conspicuously in a public area and enjoyed people telling me it looked cool. It bugs me that they don't recognize it like they would an iPhone, but once they see it doing anything, they are impressed.

It's not about clock speed, or snarkydragon CPUs or speeds&feeds. My Pre does what I want, and impresses people when I show them what it can do.

It's a high-end phone by MY definition, and I don't expect anyone to blow me away before my contract is up, unless it's something jazzier from the new H-Palm.

Oh, sure I've had to get a couple of replacements... I haven't been unhappy if they want to keep sending me phones... it just gives me more time to use the cool homebrew stuff to do backup/restore. By the way, that was freaking awesome that I got a new phone at 11am on Saturday, and I had it back to my 50+ patches and tons of homebrewing by the time we left the house at 2pm. It just sat in the corner and cranked, and was ready to go when I was...

And I have to say, the build quality of this "refurb" is amazing. The slider is almost too tight. The keyboard is perfect. Not even a hint of oreo, gaps or overlaps, etc. This one is absolutely PERFECT.

There, I feel better. My Pre+ is as high-end as anything else, IMHO. We shouldn't have to apologize for it, and we should realize that we forget how amazing it is until we show it to someone that doesn't have one... and they are amazed. I think most people would never think they have it until they see OREO OREO everywhere.

Wow, I feel so much better with that off my chest!

I have a friend who is looking for a laptop right now - and she has only worked with Windows and wants to stay with Windows.

Surprisingly, for the comparable specs, most of the Windows laptops she is looking at are only a few hundred less than a comparably fast Mac. I was surprised. There are plenty of $500-$600 laptops out there but they just don't have what she thinks she wants. She's got to spend $700-$800. In fact, the one she picked out first was as expensive as a Mac (the Envy).
    Tell her to get that new little Sony notebook (around $1,500). All the power of a monster laptop, but the size and battery life of a netbook. I saw one on an airplane recently, and I was blown away... Much cooler than a Macbook Air, and with serious horsepower... and she dropped it in her purse like a paperback book.
    I did tell her to go higher (in dollars) but she doesn't want to spend more than $1000, and she wants to be able to burn CDs (which that notebook might be able to do, but most of the cheaper ones can't).

Frankly, if she was going to spend $1500, I'd tell her to get a Mac.

But I am trying to steer her towards a Sony, a lower end one. Problem is, she is cluttered (in the head) from every person who says "I love IBM Thinkpads" or "I hate Dells" or "HP has terrible support" or "Lenova is the best."

::boggle::

Consumer Reports may have saved my day: Apple, and Sony are usually the highest rated in most categories so I think i can help her nail something down. She's driving me crazy.

The entry level Envy beats the snot out of the 15" entry level Macbook and it's $500 less. For the same price she's better off with the Envy IMO.

However if she was really smart with her money (in other words: didn't buy into the brand-name hype) she'd probably look towards something like a Lenovo:

Lenovo - Laptops €“ notebooks €“ netbooks €“ tablet PCs €“ mobile workstations

For just $1150 she can pick up a Lenovo IdeaPad Y550p which easily rivals the $2199 15" Macbook Pro for $1000 less! And Lenovo has an excellent warranty / protection which they stand by without question.

Personally I think the Envys (like Macbooks) are overpriced but that's just me.
    Lenovo is great if you want something durable and pedestrian.

But, there is a great new class of netbook hybrids you should look at. They are slim and small like a netbook, but with more power. By eliminating the DVD drive, they are much thinner and have amazing battery life. I have a 13.3" at 720p resolution, with a dual core processor that gets 9 hours of battery. This new class of slim notebooks is the fastest growing segment of that market space (or it was before the freaking iPad started shipping).

Personally, I have a Toshiba, but I am actually more impressed with the HP products in this class. A true dual core processor is much more powerful than the multi-threading Atom CPUs, but the battery life and size are still awesome.

There are many choices in this category in the $450-$500 range. I just bought an Atom520-based netbook as a graduation gift for $300. Perfect for a student but not enough horsepower for more than that (on purpose so they will study more and watch hulu.com less....)

have fun shopping!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast