Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Palm and its superb WebOS are going to take a major blow in June. Lets face it MOST Pre users are premier customers and are eligible for upgrade in June, and a great deal of them will jump ship to Android and grab an Evo. While I do love WebOS, the Pre is not sturdiest piece of hardware. I know mine is showing its age!! Had there been a new WebOS device being offered(or even scheduled) I would be happy to stick around, but the only logical choice I have is to grab an Evo. What does everyone else think?
    A great deal = a small percentage.
    Quote Originally Posted by reeper55 View Post
    Palm and its superb WebOS are going to take a major blow in June. Lets face it MOST Pre users are premier customers and are eligible for upgrade in June, and a great deal of them will jump ship to Android and grab an Evo. While I do love WebOS, the Pre is not sturdiest piece of hardware. I know mine is showing its age!! Had there been a new WebOS device being offered(or even scheduled) I would be happy to stick around, but the only logical choice I have is to grab an Evo. What does everyone else think?
    In a second, I will move this to the correct forum, but I have an interesting view on this.

Palm already sold pretty much all the Pre's it was going to sell on Sprint. Their job isn't necessarily about keeping people from jumping ship, but to get them to jump back later.

Trust me, you will be back, especially when you see that your luxury liner has soiled sheets.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 05/17/2010 at 07:42 PM.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    i love my pre hardware...still on my first, and not one problem in 8 months only upgrade i want is a pre plus on sprint... i dont care for carrying a brick around with me
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    You can count me in as part of that crowd. My Pre has been nothing but a huge headache for me this past month.. Between the random restarts, the "Too Many Cards Open" error, the constant UI lag I've had it.

(Doctoring my phone didn't help either.)

The current hardware (IMO) does more harm to WebOS then good. I'll probably return to WebOS if/when HP & Palm release their tablet.
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...rolls-out.html

http://forums.precentral.net/other-h...-official.html

There is plenty of reading material mostly talking about the same points you had
    thank goodness we have someone willing to step up and let us know that Palm will go out of business because they need a hardware refresh, and that Android will dominate the world.

This is completely new info, and none of the 80,000 members here have ever thought about what Palm should change, or what the android makers are doing to crush the hapless Palm.

All of a sudden I have an uncontrollable need to run out and get an android phone... NOT.

Thanks for the redundant insight from the department of redundancy department...
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    In a second, I will move this to the correct forum, but I have an interesting view on this.

Palm already sold pretty much all the Pre's it was going to sell on Sprint. Their job necessarily about keeping people from jumping ship, but to get them to jump back later.

Trust me, you will be back, especially when you see that your luxury liner has soiled sheets.
    I'm not quite as confident that you will be back, but he's right if he means "you" in the generic sense, I agree with him.

Palm's dark days will be over soon, and I suspect that there will be many that have left that come back.
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/17/2010 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    thank goodness we have someone willing to step up and let us know that Palm will go out of business because they need a hardware refresh, and that Android will dominate the world.

This is completely new info, and none of the 80,000 members here have ever thought about what Palm should change, or what the android makers are doing to crush the hapless Palm.

All of a sudden I have an uncontrollable need to run out and get an android phone... NOT.

Thanks for the redundant insight from the department of redundancy department...
    What is Android?
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    WebOS is THE best, most intuitive OS out there, no question. Thats why I find it SOOO sad that they don't have a nice new shiny device announced that we can even wait for! I'm sure I will be back for more though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    What is Android?
    I am sure hoping that you are kidding...

By the way, I cleaned out several radio shacks in suburban Atlanta last week. Did you get plenty of touchstones?
    Honestly though, it seems like AT&T's slow release schedule for the Pre+ and Pixi+ is preventing Palm from releasing new hardware. I'm sure there is a contract somewhere that guarantee's AT&T at least a few weeks after the release of the Pixi+ before they introduce new hardware. I'm wondering if the slow release is to push Palm's new hardware announcements until after the next iPhone launch. Too 'conspiracy theory"ish? It helps Apple to delay the Palm releases at AT&T.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info Garrett and Cantaffordit, I am well aware that my post was not BREAKING NEW GROUND. That wasn't my intention, I simply wanted to express MY thoughts about how I wish Palm had a device for us, and seeing how they don't they WILL loose folks to Android. SIMPLE
    Thanks for the info Garrett and Cantaffordit, I am well aware that my post was not BREAKING NEW GROUND. That wasn't my intention, I simply wanted to express MY thoughts about how I wish Palm had a device for us, and seeing how they don't they WILL loose folks to Android. SIMPLE
    And we are just expressing out gratitude that you chose to express that here, and in a shiny new thread...
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    And we are just expressing out gratitude that you chose to express that here, and in a shiny new thread...
    Hahaha....I do love the sarcasm. My kinda humor!
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm not quite as confident that you will be back, but he's right if he means "you" in the generic sense, I agree with him.

Palm's dark days will be over soon, and I suspect that there will be many that have left that come back.
    I agree with you on this I believe there are alot of people that will jump ship but will eventually come back once Palm gets their acts together. And lets face it a flimsey device like the Pre vs EVO with that type of hardware??
    WebOS is THE best, most intuitive OS out there, no question. Thats why I find it SOOO sad that they don't have a nice new shiny device announced that we can even wait for! I'm sure I will be back for more though.
    I don't think it's bad to try other phones. Personally I've done that with almost every new wave of technology - and I always wind up returning it and going back to Palm. Generally that's because my needs are for contact mgmt and calendar + phone, with desktop sync. No one has ever done those things better than Palm.

But I am not the most common user profile, and I can understand that some would choose another phone.

What I find fascinating is the idea that we can't wait one day past the upgrade date, and that we must have crazy good hardware every year. It's amazing that americans have no concept of patience, or contentment, etc.

Even when Saab came out with a newer model, my car continued to function exactly the same - and continues to meet my needs. Even if there is cooler hardware or a wizzy new version of Android OS that puts everyone else to shame... My Pre+ does what I want it to do and I'll be happy to use it for the next two or three years. Just like I did with my Centro, and Treo before that... I don't care if I have to get it replaced every three months, as long as they don't charge me - a shiny new handset every three months and a chance to start fresh with 50+ patches... I'm ok with that. I have the insurance option so even next year I know I'll have a working handset throughout my contract and beyond.

I think trying another phone is fine (just go post in their forums after you do). I think it's fine to come back to Palm when they have hardware you like better. But for me, I think the notion that it is a crisis to not have the newest shiny thing and that everyone MUST upgrade to whatever is the best on the first day of eligibility... That's the same thinking that has America trying to spend our way out of economic problems, and causes people to buy cars they can't afford, run up credit card debt, and use sub-prime mortgages to buy houses they have no business buying - which is how the economy got so screwed up in the first place.

So you can look down your nose at me when I'm still using my Pre in 2011, and perhaps even beyond that... It's just a phone, and as long as it does what I need - I'll spend my money on other stuff... or heaven forbid I might just save it.

...just sayin'
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Yep, all true.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    "Losing" does not have two o's. And, it's webOS
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Very true, idealistic even, but the market is what it is. We Americans make and spend a lot of money. Had Palm made another handset available they may be reaping those rewards. I see SOOOO much promise in Palm and more specifically WebOS, but if they dont do more to secure more market share, they wont garner the VITAL developer support. Platform success and developer support go hand in hand, without one you will not have the other. Is the iphone a wonderful device...in my opinion it is not, but it is marketed so well and they have great support which equals a successful platform.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast