Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I can only imagine Android advocates' experiences after recommendations.

"Yes, mom, you need to go to XDA developers. Now, root the phone. At the command line, type 'grep x% 7721.evd -a -z' and hit enter. Now, you're downloading a hacked Android ROM that will update your phone. Easy! It's part of the superiority of the system."

"What, your games aren't loading? It's GameSpot's fault! They haven't made the games work well."

"Well I don't care if your friend's Pre runs well, Mom, this HTC has superior hardware and LOTS of custom ROMs!"

*click*

"Hello? Hello?"
    Clearly from the sales of the two platforms, that's a typical scenario.

My nieces just got Hero phones on Sprint. Let's em post on facebook, watch video, browse web etc. They don't do much beyond that or in other words, won't use 50% of what android can do. Many just wanted a phone that looked like an iphone but can't afford AT&T or Verizon.

That in mind, the Evo will be a huge hit (if the 10 dollar charge doesn't deter them). Bigger screen? Check. Slab like an iphone? Check..
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    HP has never put out exceptional high end smartphone hardware. Their iPaq products were solid, but unnoteworthy.
    This statement carries an unintended omen with it. First, iPaqs were some of the best PDAs in the market back when it was a Compaq operation.

Second, your "..were solid, but unnoteworthy.." comment is perfect: You might not be surprised to hear HP still sells the iPaq, but like you, almost no one knows it. Unnoteworthy indeed.

Third, and perhaps most ominous, Todd Bradley is the HP VP taking over the former Palm operation. The last time you may have heard of him was when he was the CEO of PalmOne, a company he nearly destroyed by spinning off the software division and fighting off a bid to convert the PDA business over to a smartphone operation (something Ed Colligan fixed as Bradley's replacement).

With a "visionary" like Todd at the helm, especially considering how well he's done with HP smartphones so far in the last 5 years, the future of Palm-like innovation seems particularly glum.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I can only imagine Android advocates' experiences after recommendations.

"Yes, mom, you need to go to XDA developers. Now, root the phone. At the command line, type 'grep x% 7721.evd -a -z' and hit enter. Now, you're downloading a hacked Android ROM that will update your phone. Easy! It's part of the superiority of the system."

"What, your games aren't loading? It's GameSpot's fault! They haven't made the games work well."

"Well I don't care if your friend's Pre runs well, Mom, this HTC has superior hardware and LOTS of custom ROMs!"

*click*

"Hello? Hello?"
    You're silly attempt at making yet another Android slam only points at one device that will suit this fictional moms needs. An iPhone.

Android is too "complicated", RIM is too basic, WinMo is too outdated and WebOS lacks the Apps that makes this Mom need a smartphone.

Mr. Jobs thanks you for your free promotion of his products.
    I have been a palm guy for a LOOOOOOOONG time (by first palm device was monocrome screen). I have loved working w/ palms hardware and software. BUT I will say, the pre is not anything close to what i remember palm hardware being (i have a release day sprint pre), and while is OS is nice, it still has a LOOOONG way to go to being great. the mutitashing is good, butonce you get past that, the freezes, crashes, having to "hack" things to get them to work like it should from the start (just look how long it took to get a flashing LED working w/ out a patch). My pre has been getting worse and worse stability wise. and half the web site i go to dont load right for some reason

My Ex has a Moto Cliq running android 1.5 has had a few issues BUT no where near the same amount as i have had w/ my pre (and all those were easily fixable, where as alot of the ones i have w/ my pre keep coming back). The Evo runs android 2.1 update 1 which IS the lastest public version (yeah yeah 2.2 froyo is the "lastest version" but it has not even been officially annouced yet, (but prob will be tomorro or thurs) and the evo is supposed to be one of the first to get that update ONCE ITS AVAILABLE).

If Palm can get back into the game w/ new hardware, fix the OS issues and HP does not taint the company too bad (im not an HP fan) then I might come back BUT as of right now HTC and android have the much better products (and i could give a rats *** about 3d gaming, thats not what i have a smartphone for. I, unlike the Dumb Masses (say that fast) actually use my phone for bizness purposes and not b/c its the in thing to do.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    HP has never put out exceptional high end smartphone hardware. Their iPaq products were solid, but unnoteworthy.
    I'm going to defend the iPaq and say that they were very noteworthy and innovative...when Compaq was in charge. They had these sleds that would enable the PDA to connect to very unique functions (at the time) like mass storage and GPS. But just like with Voodoo, then HP acquired them and ruined the product.

I don't think they'll do the same with Palm, but given that HP has a track record of sinking innovative products (HP Slate, Voodoo PC, iPaq) then who knows what HP's vision is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by djdisturbed View Post
    BUT I will say, the pre is not anything close to what i remember palm hardware being (i have a release day sprint pre), and while is OS is nice, it still has a LOOOONG way to go to being great. the mutitashing is good, butonce you get past that, the freezes, crashes, having to "hack" things to get them to work like it should from the start (just look how long it took to get a flashing LED working w/ out a patch).
    While I will agree that there are still a few issues to be ironed out, I personally have noticed that with each major webOS update, I find myself less and less reliant on the homebrew patches for core functionality. I still run a lot of patches, but most of them are more for cosmetic look and personal tastes than core functionality. I absolutely love the 4x4 patch and the patch to add new launcher pages, but it is more for my personal taste and is not essential to core functionality. Many of the original patches I ran to make my phone usable are now part of the OS, and have since been retired or no longer needed.

As for stability, I also feel my phone has become more stable each time...and I still find it to be a stable platform considering it is still a 1.x product and the amount of tweaking I have done. I carry a Blackberry Bold, and can tell you that this phone locks up and crashes every bit as much as my Pre, requiring a battery pull to fix. And this is a corporate issued phone that is fairly locked down preventing me from doing anything that would add additional instability. Considering the sheer amount of tweaking I do on my phone, I am suprised it does not crash more!

And my Android and iPhone friends experience crashes as well. I will be the first to admit of all the smartphones I am familiar with, the iPhone seems to crash the least...but that should be expected with a platform that is as tightly controlled as the iPhone. Good thing too, since you can't actually DO a battery pull on one. Just sayin'.
    Ahh, but with me, every new webOS update has made my pre more unstable, I have more crashes now then i used to (even after doctoring it and reinstalling everything to see if a new start would fix corrupt files or something). Its funny how the Moto cliq had been know to be one of the more buggiers android phones made, but yet my ex had less probs w/ her phone then i do on my pre. (If fact the biggest complain she has is it occasionally gets a little sluggish, and I have to remind her she needs to restart it every so often to clear things out better, where i have to restart my pre at least once a day b/c of some issue or another)
    I used to have a lot of stability issues, and 1.41 definitely introduced a couple new things to the mix...but I have found in my personal experience a couple of things that have really made my phone truly stable...meaning I rarely have to reboot. One is using JStop to auto garbage collect. The second is the new Uber kernel. And third, is limiting my use of Preware.

JStop really keeps the sluggishness down a lot. And the Uber Kernel does as well, as also improving my battery life. I have found that any time I launch Preware, that at some point in the near future I am going to get a random restart where my phone locks and restarts on it's own. So I just monitor the patches and apps being released and if something comes out I want to try, I will only then launch Preware, grab what I need, and reboot the phone preemtively.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234