1.    #1  
    I see everyone comparing the Pre to other phones (ie: Android, iPhone).

My questions is are they comparing to the phone or the OS? I would like to see a side by side comparison of Android, iPhone OS 1.5 vs WebOS 1.4. I would guess that the 1.4 of WebOS has more features than the iPhone had at 1.5.

I just always see comparisons of the now and not of the OS versions. WebOS is new they are on 1.4, image what they will be at 2.0, 3.0 or even 4.0.

I say give WebOS time and see where it goes, now if they continue down the path of not updating hardware and not putting in new features then people should be worried.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Version numbers can't be feature compared between platforms and developers. Programmers are free to choose version numbers almost on a whim.

Compare what iphone or android had after a year on the market to what WebOS has instead.
    I dont think we need to worry about hardware updates with HP taking the reigns.

I compared my pre to my friends droid side by side. Granted... I use the 800mhz patch, but pictures loaded faster. Download speeds (testing via mobilespeedtest.com) were considerably faster. My friend loved how quickly I could shuffle between text messages, email, photos, and email... all with the swipe of a finger.

The phone IS the operating system. Nobody would buy a 1ghz phone if the operating software was a joke. However... people WILL pay for a good operating system on junk hardware (afterall... we are in the later category. )

In comparison to the iphone/ipod touch software... its not a comparison. I was an AVID user (4-5 hours a day) of my ipod touch before I got my Pre. If I pick up my ipod touch nowadays, I get frustrated because of the lack of cards and a gesture area.
    http://www.smartphoneroundrobin.com/

This was a pretty good comparison of SW and HW on all these phones.

It is a little outdated now, especially because us webOS users get new features about every month. Android, Rim, and iPhone don't update nearly as often
  5.    #5  
    I did notice even without the 800Mhz patch the pictures took faster on the Pre Plus. On my Droid it would take forever to save a picture.

Thanks for the feedback, was just curious to what people thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsaunders View Post
    I see everyone comparing the Pre to other phones (ie: Android, iPhone).

My questions is are they comparing to the phone or the OS? I would like to see a side by side comparison of Android, iPhone OS 1.5 vs WebOS 1.4. I would guess that the 1.4 of WebOS has more features than the iPhone had at 1.5.

I just always see comparisons of the now and not of the OS versions. WebOS is new they are on 1.4, image what they will be at 2.0, 3.0 or even 4.0.

I say give WebOS time and see where it goes, now if they continue down the path of not updating hardware and not putting in new features then people should be worried.
    I think most people are comparing the current WebOS with what is currently available from iphone and android because... it's what's available. Sure one can say, "well, Apple's been at it for 4 years... so we haven't caught up yet," but the typical consumer doesn't care. They want the latest thing now, not when it's ready. To that end it's Palm's fault for getting into the game late, and still not having APIs for camera and mic a year in. And Android has only been at it about 7 months longer than Palm, and Palm is now at about the age Android was when the Droid was released last year December. And Last December Android was more established than Palm is now. So, we can say that people should wait for a "good think to mature", but the problem is that the only people who do that are enthusiasts. The vast, overwhelmingly, majority of phone users are not enthusiasts, and they want the most capable thing available at the moment.
  7.    #7  
    Good points elessarelfstar.

I just looked at the SDK and it looks like there is a camera capture api available:

Camera – Palm Developer Center

I think some of the problem also is that many people don't know the SDK that well.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Products are to be compared on OUR timeline, not theres. It's 2010 so whether a product is 1.0 or 10.1 then to the CONSUMER then what is on the market is whats important. All this "look how far we've come" stuff is for the monthly internal Palm team encouragement meetings, not us.

That's very good advice, but you don't have to USE a WebOS device to do that.

I do believe WebOS is more advanced than the rest in some areas, but deficient in many important ones. To say someone should keep using it simply because "the future looks bright" is silly because as end users then the only loyalty we should have is to ourselves and we should use what is best RIGHT NOW. For some that is WebOS, but for many it makes more sense to use something else. And if you want to go back to WebOS next year when the "miracle updates" appear and app support is strong then go for it. That's what these yearly phone upgrades are for.
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/17/2010 at 10:21 AM.
  9.    #9  
    See I'm not the typical consumer and it's hard to see it from the "outside" where people just see what is there and not what is or will be.

One of the drawbacks to being a tech fanatic.