Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    After reading about how often Verizon steers new people to Droid when asked about the Pre, I thought this was amusing as well:

I went to Radio Shack to preorder the EVO (going to keep the Pre as well). I asked the clerk to sign up for EVO and he immediately asked if I had considered an iPhone instead. I simply stated that I didnt want a Fisher-Price phone and to his credit left that topic alone at that point.

I thought this may have been just some random push, however, as I was waiting I overheard him answer the phone and say "Thank you for calling Radio Shack, home of the iPhone" Didnt realize Radio Shack was the home of anything? Are people getting some nice $$ commission on selling certain phones at stores?
    Last edited by zonyl; 05/16/2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    It has been reported that Google is doing just that, shelling out money to Networks to push Android. It's no wonder Apple is following suit.
    I noticed the iphone buildup when I went into Radio Shack looking for a good deal on a touchstone. (No luck: they were sold out.)
    they are answering the phone with 'radio shack home of the iPhone' when you call.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/16/2010 at 12:53 PM.
    I went to my local radioshack to pick up a car charger and another touchstone. They were pushing the evo & iphone to every person that walked in the door, some old guy wanted to replace his old school flip phone that he broke and all the sales guy was doing was pushing the evo on him.
    So RS will be selling the next iPhone, I'm guessing?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yo that's wack... I feel like that's no fair when companies push their products as far as this, but oh well. Crazy market.

I like your answer though. Fisher-Price, hehe.
    same thing here i went to RS yesterday and was lookin for a TS. i thought to my self WOW thats a awful lot of iphone stuff and only three racks for palm pre stuff hmmmm. then all my ?tions were answered when the guy picked up the phone and says "thank you for calling radioshack home of the iphone" ...... -.-
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    same thing here i went to RS yesterday and was lookin for a TS. i thought to my self WOW thats a awful lot of iphone stuff and only three racks for palm pre stuff hmmmm. then all my ?tions were answered when the guy picked up the phone and says "thank you for calling radioshack home of the iphone" ...... -.-
    The Radio Shack I was at didnt have any Pre / Pixi on display anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    The Radio Shack I was at didnt have any Pre / Pixi on display anymore.
    mine either....
    I asked da guy why, he said discontinued from rshack.....
    The RadioShack associate I delt with owns an iPhone but was more excited about the EVO. Her son has Sprint but his upgrade isn't avail until Sept. and she said he'd be jealous of me and my pre-order cuz he wants the EVO badly hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they are answering the phone with 'radio shack home of the iPhone' when you call.
    o.O not at the stores I've called in Eugene and L.A.
    The Shack stopped selling the Pre probably do to getting so many returns for various issues and decided to relegate it to junk status and stop selling it all together.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I really doubt that these cell phone salesmen are as malicious or "paid off" as people think. These are people who most likely wont be working there in a year so what do they care which phone you go home with so it may be as simple as this:
    -Sell a pre and the customer is likely to return it.
    -Sell an EVO and you're doing tons of paperwork for a pre order that isn't guaranteed to be fulfilled in time.
    -Sell a popular phone that's in stock and you send the customer home in 10minutes and never see him again.
    I believe they also make a commission... Why wait for a sale (someone else could steal) when you can make commission now selling something that is already available.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Right now they are being told to sell the iPhone or their jobs 'could' be in jeopardy. Most of the salespeople hate that, but they are being forced to by higher ups.
    They cant sell Pres because Radioshack doesnt carry them.
    EVO pre-orders are guaranteed sales, otherwise why would someone pre-order?
    I don't even see the iPhone available in the 2 RSs near me. is that a fluke? Are they an authorized seller?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Yo that's wack... I feel like that's no fair when companies push their products as far as this, but oh well. Crazy market.

I like your answer though. Fisher-Price, hehe.
    I'm curious if you write your resumes like you do your post...

About radioshack... I just noticed that here too. When I heard it, I laughed and told the guy at the counter I'm sure apple is home of the iphone and radioshack are home to batteries. Honestly, as I used to work for RS, managers and DM's have these meetings at the district offices that tell associates not to wait for a phone to be released because they could go anywhere for that phone. They insist you sell other phones first and let the customer exchange it if they want to since its within 30 days. Just the other day I saw this guy buying a new sprint curve and was convinced it will help his credit, when they associate left and was playing with the hd2 while waiting for an answer on a repair, I told the guy he should wait but was convinced that the curve was better. Just take it as radioshack is willing to say whatever to make a buck, I mean really... Did u hear they are getting close to being sold to best buy?
    Last edited by jonathanlc2005; 05/30/2010 at 12:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    yes to their jobs being in jeopardy if they don't at least suggest an iphone.. i'm friends with a few of the managers and one of them told me that an "undercover" rep from Apple went to some random Radioshack during their test period of the iphone to "ask about an iPhone" and when the salesperson pushed Sprint's better value over AT&T.. she was fired a few days after.. and from what they told me, she was one of that store's top performing sales associates.

as of right now, Radioshack cannot do any more EVO pre-orders because all of their pre-order PINs have run out.. i think they've sold out all of their initial EVO inventory during the pre-order period!!
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    BTW.. only select radioshacks carry the iPhone in-store... but all corporate stores can sell them thru their "direct 2 u" system.. having it shipped for free direct from their warehouse..
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My bro is a regional manager for Radio shack. RS is pro Sprint. Their associates make more money via commission selling Sprint phones, rather any other service. They push Sprint pretty hard at all Radio Shacks. The release of the Evo is also a huge deal at RS. Sprint is their number one carrier and has been from the beginning. As someone mentioned earlier, many RS stores don't even carry the iphone.
    650700p755pPre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast