1.    #1  
    Ok, now before you complain about how I should've posted in the official thread, firstly, I already tried and got no reply, secondly, I'm not trying to discuss anything about the Evo's features or anything else. This is my predicament:
    I currently am using a 3 yr old Palm Centro because my Pre was stolen last week. I have been a Pre user since launch day, and I love WebOS. Everytime I use my Centro all I can think about it is how awful it is compared to the Pre. I get an upgrade June 1st, and although I neither like Android, nor am I overwhelmed by the specs of the Evo, I feel like it is my only option right now. I can't go much longer without a real smartphone, and the Evo could fill the void until the Pre2 comes out. What I'm asking is, what is the feasibility that I could get the Evo when it launches, use it for a couple months, then, when the Pre2 is about to be released, sell it for at least 400$, and then buy an off contract Pre2 for about 550$. This would be best case scenario, I would spend 200$ for Evo, get 400$ back, then spend the 400$ and another 150$ extra for the Pre2. My budget is about 400$, so I would like to know what are the chances this would work, and what would the worst thing that could come of this?
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I would still be in mourning if I lost my pre

But ye your plan seems pretty reasonable. And you will have at least giving yourself the chance to try out both devices before moving back to webOS.
    Unless palm unveils the pre2 the day before the evo launch I think you should go with your idea.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I would still be in mourning if I lost my pre

But ye your plan seems pretty reasonable. And you will have at least giving yourself the chance to try out both devices before moving back to webOS.
    Unless palm unveils the pre2 the day before the evo launch I think you should go with your idea.
    Thank you very much for the input, and yeah, I figured trying out Android for a couple months wouldn't kill me, and I'd be more knowledgeable about the competition when trying to defend WebOS in the future. You're also right about unveiling Pre2, if I hear a whiff of Pre2 rumors prior then I'll be very hesitant to pull the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    Thank you very much for the input, and yeah, I figured trying out Android for a couple months wouldn't kill me, and I'd be more knowledgeable about the competition when trying to defend WebOS in the future. You're also right about unveiling Pre2, if I hear a whiff of Pre2 rumors prior then I'll be very hesitant to pull the gun.
    I am due an update in the last quarter of 2010 and it looks like I might have choices (maybe even iphone for Sprint?...hey, it could happen) and I am skeptical about Droid...I've looked at the apps and not that impressed...not enough to leave webOS, but I would like to get an opinion from a webOS devotee that has gone over to the Droid side. Keep us posted.

STodd
    Todd
    Centro/PRE-Sprint
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Wouldn't that mean you spend more money?
    Working off the end of summer to mid fall as a likely time for new pre hardware that would give you 2-4 months with the evo which to me is probably bearable.
    And then after that you will be looking at coming back to some nice hardware for the pre and a pretty polished OS, that to me sounds really nice.
    Probably the hardest thing when you are in the wilderness with the evo is that you won't have a direct reason to come to precentral, but I'm sure you could always make yourself an exscuse to come check it out anyway.
    Either way I'm sure you won't let yourself be dissappointed when the pre2 lands.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Wouldn't that mean you spend more money?
    Yes, under optimal conditions I'd be spending about 150$ extra if the Pre2 with a new contract is 200$. But, I would have the experience of being a beta tester for the first ever 4g phone, and I wouldn't have to use my Centro all summer (I've only been using it a few days and its already driving me nuts).

Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Probably the hardest thing when you are in the wilderness with the evo is that you won't have a direct reason to come to precentral, but I'm sure you could always make yourself an exscuse to come check it out anyway.
    Either way I'm sure you won't let yourself be dissappointed when the pre2 lands.
    Wouldn't be a problem at all, I'd have Precentral bookmarked on my Evo, and anyway, I'm so obsessed with WebOS and intrigued with Palm I couldn't help myself from coming back every day. As it is I spend atleast 2 hrs on Precentral a day, and I don't even have a Pre anymore. The community here is just so vibrant and helpful.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stoddwilson View Post
    I am due an update in the last quarter of 2010 and it looks like I might have choices (maybe even iphone for Sprint?...hey, it could happen) and I am skeptical about Droid...I've looked at the apps and not that impressed...not enough to leave webOS, but I would like to get an opinion from a webOS devotee that has gone over to the Droid side. Keep us posted.

STodd
    As a former Pre user who switched over to the HTC Hero, I must say I am loving my Android phone. I can say after a month of use that the only thing I really miss is the 3 spare batteries I had for my Pre. I'm planning to get an EVO 4G on launch day so I didn't want to splurge on the extra batteries again.
    With multitasking, the Android operating system holds its own very well, I've only missed the Pre's system in situations where I was looking to copy and paste something (Gmail messages you receive can't be highlighted).

The large app selection is pretty nice but to a certain point you can find pretty much the same functionality as far as apps in Palm's App Catalog you just have more choices with Android. That's probably the biggest differentiator between webOS and Android, choice and customization. With all the homescreens with customizations from widgets and the large app catalog you can really personalize it a lot more than I felt I could on webOS. For example, with webOS when it comes to the keyboard you're really stuck with the hardware keyboard (which I loved)or the virtual keyboard patch which I wasn't too fond of. With the number of Android devices out there you can really find a variety of hardware keyboards depending on what you want. When it comes to the virtual keyboard, Android allows you to have several installed and quickly switch and try different keyboards and find one you really like. Before I found Swype I really missed my Palm Pre keyboard but that isn't the case anymore. Throw in the Voice typing availability and the choices are really endless.

As a heavy Google user the integration is pretty nice to have as well. Google Voice, Gmail and Google Talk are apps I use on a regular basis and are well integrated into the operating system. I've never used a Blackberry but I equate Google Talk on Android to having our own version of BBM except that it isn't limited to Blackberry users only. The only gripe I've had is the aforementioned copy and paste in received emails in Gmail.

I think smartphones have gotten to the point where the feature sets are really beginning to merge and there are only going to be the little quirks and particular specialized integrations to certain ecosystems that will really define the differences. I think anyone who switches to Android from webOS will enjoy it once they get used to the new operating system, the same way you did when you first got webOS.
    nicely put.
    I think the Hero is past its prime. Slow old CPU (a generation behind the Pre/Droid/3GS), limited RAM. I couldn't buy a Hero with so much more powerful smartphones to choose from.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I think the Hero is past its prime. Slow old CPU (a generation behind the Pre/Droid/3GS), limited RAM. I couldn't buy a Hero with so much more powerful smartphones to choose from.
    You're definitely right about that, I wouldn't recommend anyone pick up a Hero right now. I picked mine up off of Ebay brand new for $250 so I still have my upgrade eligibility for June 1st. In using it I can definitely see the limitations of the hardware and it really makes me excited for what the EVO will be capable of.
  12.    #12  
    Hmm... I forgot there would be no physical keyboard. I tried a Hero's vkb and I didn't like it very much (took me nearly 30 seconds to type in Precentral), hopefully the Evo would be big enough that it would be easier to use.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I will be moving on in June. Android is appealing and I've yet to see the full potential of WebOS. It's been a good ride, but I think the clout of Google is the biggest selling point. They rushed the Pre to market and we anxiously awaited each of the rapidly released updates, always hoping that it would bring the features we desired. The Homebrew community was of tremendous assistance and I am grateful for all of their efforts. The OS/UI is the best that I have used, but the hardware was crap. I'm glad Palm worked out most of the bugs while under the exclusive release with Sprint, thanks to our feedback they were able to sell an improved version 6 months later with VZ. Droid does, Pre could.