1.    #1  
    All,

My sis-in-law is interested in buying a PDA. She will be a brand new PDA user, and has very limited computer skills and background.

With this in mind, what PDA is recommended? I really think PalmOS is the way for her, but I am unsure of the manufacturer. Handspring? Sony? Palm?

She will be using it mainly for the base functions - Address, Datebook, todo, memo. If we can limit cost to under $200US that would be great.

TIA for the help.
    Visor Neo with Backup module.

Easy to use and can restore if away from PC.

Fits into your $200 target. Should be able to find some good deals.

As she gets more experienced and needs more capability, then she could upgrade to something better.
    Last edited by BudPritchard; 07/17/2002 at 08:01 AM.
    I agree, as a newcomer to the PDA niche, I bought a Neo (Blue) and I have really enjoyed using it. As time progresses I am finding it limiting so I am thinking of buying a Treo 90 to suit my needs better.
    Alex.

P.S. Hey, want to buy a Blue Neo??? Good Condition...has Vaja Case and Gameface..
    I also agree get her a Neo or even a rufurb Deluxe
    I'd Rather be Diving.......(with my PDA of course)

Check out my forum @ http://groups.msn.com/PDAPocketPCForum
    I'd recommend the low end Sony CLIE. It's a wonderful device.

--Kurt
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I'd recommend the low end Sony CLIE. It's a wonderful device.

--Kurt
    Wonderful, yes. However, you are locked into memory sticks.

Rules out these devices for me.
    Hey,

It's the best of both worlds...thin when you want it to be. The springboard slot is detachable. My wife doesn't use it I'm the one with the modules for my prism. You don't have to use the springboard slot if you don't want to but keep it handy if you are going to buy a backup module or even better an 8mb module to put all those extra programs that we love to have. www.consumerdepot.com has fairly inexpensive refurbished edge's that seem to change in price often. I would say go for that. It was my second palm but then I got the eyemodule2 and wanted to be able to take color movies and mini pictures so that is why I got the prism. Just my 2 cents. :-)
    Cheers
    I also recommend a Sony Clie. I just convinced my in-laws to go for the PEG S360 (and no, it was not out of maliciousness for in-laws )

Originally posted by BudPritchard
    Wonderful, yes. However, you are locked into memory sticks.
    Rules out these devices for me.
    Well, unless you go buy the Memplug (or some other similar springboard) for each memory type out there at $40 - $60 each, you'd be locked into one type like I am (CF Memplug). Spring (no pun intended) for the little extra cash for a Clie and you have a built in memory expansion option. But thats just MHO.

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
    Hmmm... if you go to that marketplace, you might find a complete Sony Clie N610 'package' with cases, travel chargers, etc. for close to your target price! I'll even throw in a 64Mb Memory Stick to sweeten the deal!

(Blatant plug finished... we now return to our regularly scheduled discussion!)
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Originally posted by Burns

Well, unless you go buy the Memplug (or some other similar springboard) for each memory type out there at $40 - $60 each, you'd be locked into one type like I am (CF Memplug). Spring (no pun intended) for the little extra cash for a Clie and you have a built in memory expansion option. But thats just MHO.

- Burns
    My digital camera uses CF. Wouldn't be able to use the cards in the Sony. Not to pick on Sony, other PDA's do not have the CF capability.

All PDA's should have the capability of interfacing with CF, SM, and SD cards even if it is through an adapter unit. I'm not an EE, so maybe this is not technically feasable.
    Target has Neos for under 100$
    I'd Rather be Diving.......(with my PDA of course)

Check out my forum @ http://groups.msn.com/PDAPocketPCForum
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all your help folks!

She seems to be leaning toward the Neo. She is on the road a lot and is a little worried about the rechargable nature of Edge and S360.

Now that the new low end Sony has come out, (w/ 320x320), we might have another contender.

Anyone have any experience with Sony keyboards, or is there a Stowaway for Clie too?

Thanks.