Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And some of these posts show why corporations get over on the consumer over and over. We justify what they do.
    What's sick is to see the RIAA's and Movie Industries backward logic trickle into the end users way of thinking. "IF you are using bit torrent you are a pirate" and "IF you are using tether you are a bandwidth hog". People are justifying why 100% of end users should suffer because of the 1% of bad seeds out there.

I was going to buy 4 on my family plan and all of them were appealing for reasons outside of 4G because the Wife, MOM AND Sister-in-law aren't heavy bandwidth users. The appeal of the EVO to them is the screen, camera and Android Apps. But with this pricing then we'd be paying $480/yr for 4G on 4 devices that aren't used in a 4G area.

I think it makes more sense to keep the $29 HotSpot fee and make the $10 Premium Data Fee an option for those who exceed 5GB. Because most people don't go anywhere near 5GB on a single device (which is why nobody knew it exists)
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/19/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah... My sister, my dad, and I all want the Evo.
    That will be $30/month extra on top of our original bill.

If it was one $10.00 fee I would be fine... But it's $10.00/Evo.
    But we don't even get 4g Service, so seriously.
    Sprint messed it up for the families. We all 3 would have upgraded too, sigh.
    i think we have too look at this from sprints point of view. After years of having the cheapest voice/text/and data rates, one of the largest 3G coverage maps, and the best
    customer appreciation programs, and developing the only 4G network; in the return Sprint earned the most disloyal customers in the country. They're practically handing out upgrades and talk time (even free roaming), yet people leave the company in droves.

They give so much and get so little in return. One look at ATT or Verizons rates, and it clear that Sprint has every right to increase the price of all of their Unlimited plans by $10 (Even with the $10 increase, the highest data plan is cheaper than what you'll pay on the big 2). But instead they've chosen increase the price only for customers who are likely to be taxing there data networks the hardest (the ones who will be uploading HD pics and video, 4G or not). There's no doubt that any success from this plan would help Sprint expand the 4G network at a faster pace. There's also no doubt that sprint deserves the extra money for all they've done.

If you don't want to by the Evo because of the charge thats fine, and i'm sure Sprint anticipated this to some extent. But don't make Sprint to be some evil carrier, because they are far from that.

Also lets be truthful. There is value in the $10 charge even if you do not have 4G coverage. You have uncapped access to both the 4G(should you stumble upon service) and 3G.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/19/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Also lets be truthful. There is value in the $10 charge even if you do not have 4G coverage. You have uncapped access to both the 4G(should you stumble upon service) and 3G. You also have 8 device mobile hotpot. so your $10 is still going to something.

Err... mobile hotspot costs $29/month.
    I don't mind the $10.00 if it was just one flat rate.

However, with each Evo your family buys, it's an extra $10.00...
    That's the only problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Err... mobile hotspot costs $29/month.
    I don't mind the $10.00 if it was just one flat rate.

However, with each Evo your family buys, it's an extra $10.00...
    That's the only problem.
    yeah i caught the error just before you posted this. still i feel like the $10 is justified. I somewhat wish sprint would raise the price of the simply everything data plans across the board. Lord knows, they deserve the money, and the Evo fence sitters would have nothing to cry about. Even without 4G access, you will be getting more value out of your sprint Evo plan than you would get on any other carrier, yet people still complain.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    i think we have too look at this from sprints point of view. After years of having the cheapest voice/text/and data rates, one of the largest 3G coverage maps, and the best
    customer appreciation programs, and developing the only 4G network; in the return Sprint earned the most disloyal customers in the country. They're practically handing out upgrades and talk time (even free roaming), yet people leave the company in droves.

They give so much and get so little in return.
    Wow. And I thought I was being a loyal Sprint customer for paying my bill on time for 11yrs.

This isn't a charity or the local girl scouts we're talking about, this is a major corporation so I'm not going to put their needs above my own. And in this case, we are told to pay $10/mo for "unlimited" Data on something already called an "unlimited data plan", and 4G service in a region where 4G service is unavailable. Instead of calling it a $10 "Premium Data Plan" they should call it a $10 "Data Plan Premium". (Zing)

I give credit to sprint for having a decent network and good prices (which is why I will remain as a 3G customer), but I'm not going to give them any kudos over this because they are setting a precedent for 4G services. Not only are they saying that everyone should charge more for simply owning 4G devices, they are also saying they could charge even for services unavailable to the customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Wow. And I thought I was being a loyal Sprint customer for paying my bill on time for 11yrs.

This isn't a charity or the local girl scouts we're talking about, this is a major corporation so I'm not going to put their needs above my own. And in this case, we are told to pay $10/mo for "unlimited" Data on something already called an "unlimited data plan", and 4G service in a region where 4G service is unavailable. Instead of calling it a $10 "Premium Data Plan" they should call it a $10 "Data Plan Premium". (Zing)

I give credit to sprint for having a decent network and good prices (which is why I will remain as a 3G customer), but I'm not going to give them any kudos over this because they are setting a precedent for 4G services. Not only are they saying that everyone should charge more for simply owning 4G devices, they are also saying they could charge even for services unavailable to the customer.
    First of all, the charge isn't just for 4G service. access to 4G is just one of the benefits of the charge. Secondly, even with the charge, sprints 4G access is cheaper than 3G access from its competitors. I won't sit here and allow people to make Sprint out to be greedy. yes they are a major corporation, but as far as phone service goes, they are by far the least greedy of them all (in the US) almost to a fault.

all i am saying is sprint needs money from somewhere. the greedy option would have been to raise prices across the board and offer nothing to alleviate the added cost. Strangely, i feel like this option would have gotten less backlash despite the fact we'd be getting nothing out of it. Instead they chose to charge only those who have a device designed to be a data hog not to mention they subsidized the hell out of the phone to get it to $200...
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    If they had released it for $599 with EDGE data and a device specific 2 year contract, would you buy it then? Personally I wonder if the $10 charge has as much to do with subsidizing the cost of the phone as it does with 4G data access. But, as others have stated, it doesn't concern me because I'm a proud Pre owner.
    IMO I live in a 4G area and will pay the ten dollars for the extra speed but definitely believe it should be optional. To me its not fair to charge something to someone that doesn't want it or that their network doesn't supply.

EDIT: I just would like to clarify that i will pay for the extra speed with the next gen webos device and not the evo
    Last edited by Iroc371; 05/21/2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Clearifacation
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Please note, I'm not arguing with you over this. Im still considering the EVO for myself, I just wouldnt recommend it to anyone right now because it's kinda a questionable move by Sprint. Sure, paying $10/mo in Jun'10 even without 4G is fine because it's the best phone on the market and you can justify it by saying that's the price of cutting edge equipment. But what about in JAN'11 when it's no longer as "cool", you still have no 4G and you're still waiting for Froyo. Now you're paying a premium fee for last years phone and data speeds from 3yrs ago. You got to admit it will sting a bit. *

First of all, the charge isn't just for 4G service. access to 4G is just one of the benefits of the charge.
    What are the many benefits other than the "Unlimited Data" on our existing "Unlimited Data Plans", and 4G access despite not having 4G service? Having the ability to use more data doesn't mean you actually will so I'd hope that there's more to this.

I won't sit here and allow people to make Sprint out to be greedy. yes they are a major corporation, but as far as phone service goes, they are by far the least greedy of them all (in the US) almost to a fault. all i am saying is sprint needs money from somewhere
    I was trying to think of an example of this happening with another service but drew a blank. What other service do we pay for something that "might be made available to you"? When HD cable rolled out then they had 2 channels but didnt start charging until they actually had enough for an HD Package and the necessary equipment to run it. And that's the CABLE COMPANIES! If they started pushing a 3D HD Fee on all HD customers without available channels or equipment we'd go nuts, but with the Cell carriers we're supposed to have compassion because "they need money from somewhere? If Sprint wants to be treated like a charity then they should setup a paypal link or have a bake sale.

Instead they chose to charge only those who have a device designed to be a data hog not to mention they subsidized the hell out of the phone to get it to $200...
    Most people never come close to 5GB so that's not guaranteed to change simply because they "can" use more with 4G. So why not fee the offenders rather than lumping us all together.

As for subsidy, Ive always questioned the legitimacy of these unsubsidized prices. The Pre really cost $599 to make? The iPod Touch is $179 but the iPhone is $699? What is in there that makes it $500 more? The EVO is only $450 which means they're pretty darn cheap in comparison (or they are being more honest)
    How about clarification of "premium data services"? That sounds like the 4G experience to me. If they do indeed mean you can download and stream all you want, no limit whatsoever(like some have said), then maybe I can see paying for it even if there's no 4G. But where does it say that?

Direct from their site "A $10 per month Premium Data add-on will apply allowing customers to take advantage of a richer data experience than ever before." Doesn't this imply 4G, looking at all the 4G feature mentions?

http://community.sprint.com/baw/comm...light&id16=evo

Don't pay for what you can't use. Waiting on this phone if there's no 4G in your area is the best message to send to Sprint to charge for 4G only in 4G markets.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Not sure if someone mentioned this but the reason is, right now you have "unlimited" data on your phone & it's actually capped at 5 GB. With the extra $10 a month that is required, the cap is removed. You don't have a 5 GB limit because at the end of 2010 4G is supposed to be available to most everyone. So once you start using that, if you had only a 5 GB limit, you would go through that like crazy. So they charge a little extra and you have a non-capped version of "unlimited" data. So you can surpass the 5 GB. Which is good because like I said, you would use a lot more data with 4G so you would reach the limit faster.

And btw: This unlimited data starts whenever you get your Evo. You don't have to wait until 4G is in your area. If you happen to reach 5 GB with your Evo on 3G you don't have to worry because you don't have the limit anymore.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How about clarification of "premium data services"? That sounds like the 4G experience to me. If they do indeed mean you can download and stream all you want, no limit whatsoever(like some have said), then maybe I can see paying for it even if there's no 4G. But where does it say that?
    Phonescoop
    Today Sprint representatives informed Phone Scoop that users of any of its WiMax 4G network services don't have to worry about a data cap. The $10 add-on WiMax plan for the EVO 4G, for example, provides unlimited access to both Sprint's 4G and 3G networks. Some of Sprint's 3G-only network services still retain a 5GB limit.

The problem with that is I've never heard of someone getting called out on the 5GB limit PRIOR to the EVO 4G plan so was this ever an enforced rule?

This whole thing would be easier to swallow IF they would say "5GB limit" straight out and offer an "Unlimited" OPTION for $10 more because most people would opt to pay it (and those who want the EVO for reasons OTHER than massive data streaming could still buy it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    Not sure if someone mentioned this but the reason is, right now you have "unlimited" data on your phone & it's actually capped at 5 GB. With the extra $10 a month that is required, the cap is removed. You don't have a 5 GB limit because at the end of 2010 4G is supposed to be available to most everyone. So once you start using that, if you had only a 5 GB limit, you would go through that like crazy. So they charge a little extra and you have a non-capped version of "unlimited" data. So you can surpass the 5 GB. Which is good because like I said, you would use a lot more data with 4G so you would reach the limit faster.

And btw: This unlimited data starts whenever you get your Evo. You don't have to wait until 4G is in your area. If you happen to reach 5 GB with your Evo on 3G you don't have to worry because you don't have the limit anymore.
    Yes that was mentioned but I had never seen Sprint say this themselves. They just keep talking about 4G on the Evo, even in that press release in the link. Which lead me to believe the charge is for 4G.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Phonescoop
    Today Sprint representatives informed Phone Scoop that users of any of its WiMax 4G network services don't have to worry about a data cap. The $10 add-on WiMax plan for the EVO 4G, for example, provides unlimited access to both Sprint's 4G and 3G networks. Some of Sprint's 3G-only network services still retain a 5GB limit.

The problem with that is I've never heard of someone getting called out on the 5GB limit PRIOR to the EVO 4G plan so was this ever an enforced rule?

This whole thing would be easier to swallow IF they would say "5GB limit" straight out and offer an "Unlimited" OPTION for $10 more because most people would opt to pay it (and those who want the EVO for reasons OTHER than massive data streaming could still buy it).
    So it's true about fake unlimited on Sprint for cell phones? I thought the 5GB limit was for mobile broadband on your laptop. Unlimited should mean unlimited, not 5GB. That's an interesting ploy, Sprint.

Also AT&T has been accused of this, but they keep denying it. But that guy who somehow managed 13GB by his claim may have proven AT&T right. Although someone else said they got a nice email from AT&T when they went over 5GB.

Wow' this is the price of Tmobiles cheapest plan with data and text(39 + 30 data +10 txt).

I think its about paying for all that new 4g equipment and somebodies got to pay for it.

It almost like putting up a new bridge and then everyone wants to cross for free but no one wants to pay, so you put up a toll booth and those that want to cross will pay everyone else go around.

I know it doesn't seem fair but would you rather Sprint put five dollars extra on everyones bill even if they had a basic feature phone. If you don't want to pay don't buy the phone there are plenty of people coming over from other carriers thats paying a hella lot more and don't give a rats *** about ten dollars.

There are people on here that would drop ten bucks in a club on two beers without thinking about it and the next day have nothing to show for it, ten bucks down the drain.
    Last edited by kinster02; 05/21/2010 at 12:49 AM.
    My cable bill is $10 higher these day. Plus i have a $5 premium for certain sports channels i watch more then others. My Utilities are about $30 more then they used to be. Food especially, the stuff that has to be grown or raised, like meat, fish fruits and vegetables and dairy are more expensive these days. Gas is down right now to a $3.12 a gallon which is expensive. I live in southern california where rent is well over $1400 in many places. Xbox wants a monthly fee for live, netflix wants a monthly fee. Hell even my credit card. The point is that it's not just $10, it's that every single thing is going up. Everybody is trying to charge you more. And the vast majority of people are not making more money. And specifically if you don't live in a 4G area you're paying more for no new services.

If you're one of the lucky few whose expenses haven't gone up, or phones are one of the most important things to you, or your wages have increased to the point that they exceed you're expenses, good for you. But for a lot of people, they are just sick of getting nickle a dimed by rising costs of everything and everybody wanting a monthly fee. And in the event you have other priorities like maybe, a child's education, health care, retirement investing, or other purchases on one's to buy list paying more for phone service just may be way way down on a persons lists. The fact that a person may spend $10 on something else like a movie or drinks kinda misses the point. a $10 cell charge isn't in lieu of those recreational expenses it's in addition. And likely a lot of people derive a lot more pleasure from $10 worth of alcohol or a movie then from a phone. Worse for me personally, i just switched to a cheaper plan specifically to save $10.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456