Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Again... its referring to the mobile air cards... "Phone-As-Modem" doesn't refer to your phone to be limited in anyways... Believe me, I've gone over that "limit" say 10.5GB data...

So yeah... when they say "unlimited" they mean UNLIMITED.... shezz lol
    $10 bucks a month isn't a lot compared to other carriers but Sprint really should give some type of discount on the phone for customers living in 4G-less areas. That would justify the $10 charge a month.

Seeing how that won't happen and if you really feel like you're being treated unfairly, root your phone and turn your EVO 4G into a wifi hotspot without paying the extra $30+ bucks a month for tethering.
    I have to say that even with he ten dollars you get way more then ur gonna get a vzw. Think about it 89+ tax for an everything plan with whatever minuts unlimited calling to ANY celphone, gps, internet, messaging and 4g I believe you get for 79 just the intenet and messaging. No gps, no 4g, no anymobile anytime (so you migt need more minutes) so it cmes out better on sprint still.
    and I'd also like a link to where it says we have limited data to 5. I go on the site it says my used / unlimited not my used / 5. My plan also says unlimited. Is there a line in the contract that mentions we can't go over? Think about it, downloading apps, music, watching videos and even downloading whatever we want and putting it on our computers. We can use just as much as a computer uses depending on our habits so it'd be hard to say smeone is tethering to get that high so just curious where the 5g cap comes from so if I do get charged one day I can know there was somewhere that it states this limit, otherwise charging me would be against my contract which says unlimited
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    and I'd also like a link to where it says we have limited data to 5. I go on the site it says my used / unlimited not my used / 5. My plan also says unlimited. Is there a line in the contract that mentions we can't go over? Think about it, downloading apps, music, watching videos and even downloading whatever we want and putting it on our computers. We can use just as much as a computer uses depending on our habits so it'd be hard to say smeone is tethering to get that high so just curious where the 5g cap comes from so if I do get charged one day I can know there was somewhere that it states this limit, otherwise charging me would be against my contract which says unlimited
    It's unlimited, I've gone over 5GB the last two months.(on sprint)
    This is what I was referring to. It could have been a typo?

Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'm betting typo, unless some markets have those restrictions. Mine don't and I know others that don't.
    Looking at that photo, it may be inaccurate for AT&T.

AT&T has confirmed that Unlimited is unlimited. BUT they have been known to contact people and tell them to cool it if they go over 5GB. 5GB may be a soft cap. Some guy claimed he did 13GB and then got a notice from AT&T, though I don't know what he was doing on a mobile to draw 13GB. Perhaps tethering?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i was heavily anticipating the EVO and was sure to get it if it was less then $250. well after this $10 monthly fee they added i decided to pass because i thought it was incredibly stupid to charge $10 for a service thats not in my area yet.

i saw over at androidforums people were asking exactly what the fee was for, protesting, writing emails....etc...

the truth of the matter is i think the $10 fee is to recoup the costs of the hardware on the phone but they label it as a 4g thing...which is a bad thing because it opens the door to them charging that $10 for any future 4g devices they put out....and i think thats exactly what will happen...if you think about it future phones will always have better specs then the evo 4g but will they not charge the $10 4g fee for it but continue to charge it to exist EVO 4g customers? doesnt make sense. sprint just set the standard for all other carriers to charge a similar fee also. the only way to 'protest' imo is to not get the phone.
    I believe that the $10 is for the extra DATA that most please will be using, even in the 3G areas.

With current phones MOST people use less than 5G of data. With phones built to work on a 4G network MOST people will be using more than 5G of data, even in the 3G areas.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Regardless of how well we can justify these extra costs, I think that the fact that these charges exist will hurt Sprint.

Prior to the official announcement then the EVO was considered a "dream phone" for many people who would never consider switching to Sprint. But now every article and potential Switcher seems to emphasize these charges and it definitely put the fire out of peoples excitement. June 4 is still a few weeks away and the EVO sales will be strong among existing Sprint users but I predict that many people who were "definitely switching to Sprint" will end up holding off to see what the competition do.

For me, Im a Sprint loyalist so I was pretty excited about the EVO and I recommended several friends and coworkers on waiting for this. But at is point then all of us have backed out. Not because $10 is a ridiculous price, but because it's a charge for a feature most of us won't be able to use.

(Last year was the rebate fiasco with the Pre, this year is the $10-40 extra charges on the EVO. I have no idea how Sprint manages to screw up good opportunities so often...)
    All carriers use mail in rebates. Outside of the iPhone ...cause Apple has AT&T by the nuts.
    Sorry, but I don't want to read the entire thread to see if anyone has mentioned this...

I heard in a recent TWIT podcast that the $10 fee uncaps data speeds so that even 3g will be faster given proper circumstances. Apparently, Sprint decided to cap us some time back. I don't have time right now to support this with evidence, gotta leave for work.
    Hmm.. i must chime in on this..

I cannot believe that people are really actually complaining about a non mandatory $10 dollar charge on the cheapest but just as decent Sprint for the 1st to be running on 4G?

To roll out a new network like this cost money and lots of it. If you were a company trying to be the first to expand you would be raising prices too. I mean really do you think that when ATT and Verizon (bullies) release their 4g you won't still be paying more? If you ask me this is a bargain, a steal, a good deal.. While im not happy about it, its a necessary evil and Sprint is still the cheaper between ATT and Verizon.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Either way, Its better than paying $30 extra a month just to have an iPhone regardless if you use data or not.

$10 to enjoy the best smartphone on the market is something im willing to pay. Sucks cause I already pay clear $30/a month for home internet service.

I would imagine if you live in a decently populated area before you know it you'll have 4G service. ( My lucky self lives 50yards from a 4G tower )
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdshadley View Post
    I heard in a recent TWIT podcast that the $10 fee uncaps data speeds so that even 3g will be faster given proper circumstances. Apparently, Sprint decided to cap us some time back. I don't have time right now to support this with evidence, gotta leave for work.
    The reason people didn't know their 3G was capped is because most people never came close to 5GB. And the same may be true for the AVERAGE EVO customer also. If you dont use it as a hotspot then 5GB of data usage wont be the norm so it would be better to bundle the fee into the HotSpot add on rather than make it a mandatory fee. Charge the people who are going to use the network most rather than the average users who couldn't use 5GB if they tried (or worse, don't even have 4Glocally)
    I guess the trick will be in the wording of the contract. If Sprints wording truly does say the extra charge is for 4g service then I smell an FCC smack down in there future. You cannot charge people for services not rendered! If indeed the charge is stated to be for something other than 4g then we will all have to just live with it and pass on the EVO if you don't like it. Either way I don't like having stuff rammed down my throat.

You people that say "Oh quit crying just don't buy the phone if you don't like it!" What if all the new phones come with this mysterious new charge? Why doesn't Sprint just come out and say, "we are now going to be charging you for the privilege of owning our sweetest phones"?

I think if Sprint wants to raise rates that's there business but don't blow smoke up my ***** and try to tell me it's all for the best. That's bull crap, why are they stating one thing and doing another. I seem to remember them saying that there would not be an extra charge for the 4g service a while back but now we have this new $10 "Bandwidth Decapitation Fee". Call it what you want but it all sounds ridiculous to me. Why not just add this fee to the cost of the phone if it just for this device?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I didn't see anyone mention this earlier in the thread but... Didn't they say it's a phone cost, not a 4G cost? Because you will (and from looking at the phone features you will) use more data whether it be on 4G, 3G, or even 2G speeds.

You are going to want to do a ton more with this phone, most of that will be using data, why would you think they wouldn't charge more? They are not charging you for faster speeds, simply the increased bandwidth you will use.

The only one's to blame are people that are tethering the **** out of their phones, did you really think sprint was going to let that continue to happen? You should have known it was going to happen sooner or later. Take your heads out of your ***** and take a breathe. You all know Sprint is the cheapest carrier around, leave sprint, please do. Another person will join in your place and you can go complain about VZW's dropped calls or AT&T's ****ty network.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I kinda see the OP's point, but this has got to be the biggest phantom mountain that is actually a mole hill that I have ever seen. Jeebus. It's $10/month for probably the most advanced data-driven "superphone" in the country that still nets a cost of ownership well under what you would pay for either of the other "big three" networks. If you don't want to pay it, just don't buy the phone. That will get your message across. No need for this overly contrived "goodbye cruel world" drama.
    And some of these posts show why corporations get over on the consumer over and over. We justify what they do.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast