Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I don't understand the "you should be grateful it's only $10 you're wasting" posts. There's no bargain if you can't use it.

$120/yr. for something you cannot use at this time may be trivial to some, but obviously not to others. I can definitely see where the OP is coming from. I still think it's best to wait and keep checking with Sprint for about how long 4G would be available in your area, before getting any 4G phone. Same with other carriers if they're all going to start charging extra for 4G.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]I don't understand the "you should be grateful it's only $10 you're wasting" posts. There's no bargain if you can't use it.
    In which case you shouldn't buy it....simple choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't understand the "you should be grateful it's only $10 you're wasting" posts. There's no bargain if you can't use it.

$120/yr. for something you cannot use at this time may be trivial to some, but obviously not to others. I can definitely see where the OP is coming from. I still think it's best to wait and keep checking with Sprint for about how long 4G would be available in your area, before getting any 4G phone. Same with other carriers if they're all going to start charging extra for 4G.
    There is a bargain. You get real unlimited data even on 3G. With everything this phone can do (video conferencing, etc) you can bet if you are in a 3G only area you will go over 5GB in a month.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    This will most certainly will impact Sprint's strategy to pick up more customers... I was thinking about getting the EVO, I don't mind paying the $10 add-on service, but it makes no sense to be charged that fee without 4G in your area... Why pay for it when your not receiving that type of service, I'm sure a lot of people will complain to the FCC over this... This will hit Sprint hard... AGAIN... I swear they're strategy sucks
    I think the simple claim is $10 is only for 4G.

But there are features on the Evo that no other phone in america is doing.

From the video chat to the High quality youtube to unlimited data usage thats really unlimited etc.

These phones are going to use A LOT of data. Honestly, Sprint is probably concerned about that and factored it in the plan price. Look what happened with the iPhone bandwidth usage on AT&T and how it bogged them down.

Or hell, remember when the iPhone came out at a higher plan price than any other AT&T phone. I mean, it sucks...but we also don't see the cost of running a network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    This will most certainly will impact Sprint's strategy to pick up more customers... I was thinking about getting the EVO, I don't mind paying the $10 add-on service, but it makes no sense to be charged that fee without 4G in your area... Why pay for it when your not receiving that type of service, I'm sure a lot of people will complain to the FCC over this... This will hit Sprint hard... AGAIN... I swear they're strategy sucks
    And a subpar build quality of the Pre coupled with a beta OS didn't? Listen, Sprint has the lowest prices in the industry..even with the $10 fee.

Again, we don't know what the cost of running sprints network is, but clearly they figured they had to put a premium on the top end phone...and probably will do so on future 4G phones. Either you get a 4G phone or you don't....no biggie.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    If you want to be a part of the initial launch of anything, you will pay a premium.
    Even if you don't use it?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the idea that this is how it's SUPPOSED to work and we should just eat it is crazy. People are paying for a service that may be 6-18months away in even being rolled out in their area so they aren't buying a new product, they're paying to be on a waiting list. And for what? I'll bet that the 3G EVO customers won't be crying "why is this phone so slow. Oh how I wish it was 4G".

I know the default argument is "well don't buy it then", and that's very true. But this is the very best hardware on the market and it's NOT because it's 4G. So if you're strugling like Sprint is then you're better off waiving the $10 fee rather than waving goodbye to the customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Even if you don't use it?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the idea that this is how it's SUPPOSED to work and we should just eat it is crazy. People are paying for a service that may be 6-18months away in even being rolled out in their area so they aren't buying a new product, they're paying to be on a waiting list. And for what? I'll bet that the 3G EVO customers won't be crying "why is this phone so slow. Oh how I wish it was 4G".

I know the default argument is "well don't buy it then", and that's very true. But this is the very best hardware on the market and it's NOT because it's 4G. So if you're strugling like Sprint is then you're better off waiving the $10 fee rather than waving goodbye to the customer.
    The $10 charge isn't just for 4G. It's for a "premium data plan" which includes 4G access. The fact of the matter is this phone will use more than 5GB a month even on 3G, which is probably why Sprint is charging the fee even when a customer is not in a 4G area.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    In which case you shouldn't buy it....simple choice.
    Which is what I also said.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yep, it's sucks ***. Definitely not buying the EVO. Sprint doesn't even have decent voice/3G coverage in places it claims to cover, so it's making a free ride off people who get a 4G phone (mostly for the phone's features, not 4G which is available in a 30 whole ****ing cities) but don't have 4G coverage. I don't need unlimited data because I have wifi in my house...as it is, I've only pushed over a gig ONCE, usually I'm at 500mb a month. I hate to break it to you, but not everyone can live in major cities and it'll be years before Sprint offers anything resembling decent coverage, if they ever do. I hope everyone *****es to retentions.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yep, it's sucks ***. Definitely not buying the EVO. Sprint doesn't even have decent voice/3G coverage in places it claims to cover, so it's making a free ride off people who get a 4G phone (mostly for the phone's features, not 4G which is available in a 30 whole ****ing cities) but don't have 4G coverage. I don't need unlimited data because I have wifi in my house...as it is, I've only pushed over a gig ONCE, usually I'm at 500mb a month. I hate to break it to you, but not everyone can live in major cities and it'll be years before Sprint offers anything resembling decent coverage, if they ever do. I hope everyone *****es to retentions.
    Or don't buy the phone?

Its clear A LOT of people wanted the Evo but don't want the fee....but you have this magical choice of just not getting it and living content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Or don't buy the phone?

Its clear A LOT of people wanted the Evo but don't want the fee....but you have this magical choice of just not getting it and living content.
    The fee isn't the issue, people don't mind being charged $10 a month, cheaper than ATT and VZN. but the fact of the matter is, being charged $10 a month with out a 4G service... Like if you have the EVO, but no 4G in your area... just imagine paying $10 a month for a year or two and STILL 4G isn't in your area... thats the issue here... $10 is nothing and fairly cheap for a 4G add-on, but paying for it and not receiving it... is a waste of money... $120/yrs worth.

I'm not being bias about the $10, I'm all for it... Just wouldn't you not wanting to pay the $10 if your not in a 4G area... I live in San Francisco, they say 4G will be released by the end of the year... so Ill wait... but if you don't mind forking out $10/month... be my guess then, its your money not mines lol
    Man some of you guys are dense.

So lifting the bandwidth cap is not worth 10 bucks a month? It's not like the 10 bucks a month is just for 4G. You get a better data plan on the 3G side as well. Is that hard to understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Man some of you guys are dense.

So lifting the bandwidth cap is not worth 10 bucks a month? It's not like the 10 bucks a month is just for 4G. You get a better data plan on the 3G side as well. Is that hard to understand?
    what are you talking about? our phones already have Unlimited 3G access... there is no CAP Limit on your cell phone plan... if you have a mobile card, then YEs there is a CAP Limit... So now you understand my friend...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    So I guess some are going to ditch sprint and the evo over ten bucks.

They can charge me a 10 spot when palm has a 4G capable phone, with or without 4G service. I never had any interest in the evo.......you folks that are bitter need feature phones...yes? There is really no reason to take up arms over this.
    what are you talking about? our phones already have Unlimited 3G access... there is no CAP Limit on your cell phone plan... if you have a mobile card, then YEs there is a CAP Limit... So now you understand my friend...
    No. Unlimited isn't really unlimited - there's a 5Gb cap.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Where does it say there is a 5GB cap? Link it!

And no I'm not ditching Sprint... Im happy with my service...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    There is, crap they haven't been charging me. Actually it is currently unlimited and as far as I know so is verizons phone plans, not 3G air cards, those have the 5GB cap in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    There is, crap they haven't been charging me. Actually it is currently unlimited and as far as I know so is verizons phone plans, not 3G air cards, those have the 5GB cap in place.
    Oh so your a VZN customer, I see why now... But I hope to see a 4G Palm phone xD... now that i will pay $10 buck lol
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Oh so your a VZN customer, I see why now... But I hope to see a 4G Palm phone xD... now that i will pay $10 buck lol
    No I'm 100% sprint custy for life. I always thought vz had the 5GB cap, but recently someone said they don't, so I did some digging and they don't or I just couldn't find any info. Just had to know that I was wrong.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast