Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    funny extra $10 charge and Sprint is still cheaper than Verizon & AT&T so leaving makes no sense at all so what's the problem?

Pride?
    they said it wouldn't be an additional charge. I expected it not to be an added charge. I don't live in a 4G area. The only place out of my area i've been in 2 years is Vegas for a weekend so i won't be suing it since i don't travel much. I just got my bill reduced $10 by going to a plan with less minutes. I've little interest in going back to the old rate for the same minutes. So i likely just won't buy an EVO at this time. 4G isn't a big selling point for me. They can charge $10 bucks if they want and i can just not buy the phone which is probably what will happen. Now i really really hope sprint get's the Iphone.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    what is the saying again? Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of 4G...

wait that's not it. 4G is not a God-given right, it's a feature/bonus/privlege. I am pretty sure it is OPTIONAL. If you don't want it, don't get a 4G phone. If you don't want to pay for a data plan, don't buy a smart phone. These are all choices. Some of you sound so entitled! Relax.

and for those that argue: 4G is not available in our area, then why buy a 4G phone? Evo may have impressive stats, but do you want to be locked in to 1-2 year contract for a phone that you can't use the main feature? Just wait a smidge, newer phones with pimped out features are coming
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjs188 View Post

wait that's not it. 4G is not a God-given right, it's a feature/bonus/privlege. I am pretty sure it is OPTIONAL. If you don't want it, don't get a 4G phone. If you don't want to pay for a data plan, don't buy a smart phone. These are all choices. Some of you sound so entitled! Relax....
    Let's see how everyone feels when the next Palm device comes out and it is 4G. Everyone on the Premier plan will want to upgrade but those in non 4G areas will be ****ed they have to pay $10.

It will become more unfair as ALL the smartphones transition to 4G without nationwide access.

The plan is unfair in that 4G is unavailable everywhere but eventually (soon) it will be available in most major cities, where most of the users are ...
    Dan
    There should be a simple switch on the Evo to turn off 4G instead of charging for it. On webos there's an on and off switch to turn off data and stuff. If android can't do the same then I won't be getting it.

Maybe sprint will change they minds once people see the extra $10 and lose more customers every quater. I can picture it now, all the 4G commericals but no mention of the $10 price added to our already Everything plan that we will all had/have to switch to.
    My point is not that their charging the extra $10, it's that their charging everyone no matter if you have access to 4g or not, in my book that just stinks. When is this 4g network supposed to hit all major cities? I just think its wrong to charge for a service that is unavailable to most of your customers. Sprint should only be charging people who will have access to 4g when the phones go on sale not buy the phone and you get to pay an extra $120 a year whether you get 4g or not. I don't even want an EVO but I will be mighty ****ed if they pull this with a new palm 4g device.
    see I understand the argument, about paying for something (4G) and maybe its not available in your area yet. Me personally think 10 dolllars more a month, on somethnig that even if I have it in the area now or not is not bad. Even as stated above its still cheaper then AT&T and Verizon a month, and when they get LTE off the ground believe me they will be charging you too. So I say if you want the EVO rather your in a 4G area yet or not then deal with it, or wait until some other phone comes out and 4G will be in your area and buy that one. People understand they have to make money too, and if you want the latest technology, and best products you have to pay for em, and an extra 10 dollars to me is not bad.
    one poster was right...4G is a privilege not a right...u want a 4G phone, pay the asking price...i would much rather have 4G available on my phone instantly than have to call and add it whenever I entered a 4G area...im fine with the charge....and sprint is prolly just covering their butts for people out here who would figure out how to get it to work with out paying...if they're gonna charge, charge everyone...im sure once it's rolled out to everyone, the charge will disappear or go down...not a big deal really.
    I'll also add i have no issue paying $10 a month for a phone that works correctly.

I mean i put up with a year of WebOS ...and i love WebOS...but there are still obvious glaring problems. I don't feel like being a test bed for WebOS for another year, and i'm not going back to Blackberry.

I hope Palm hits their next phone out of the park though....i'll be right there ready to jump back in.
    You still get to pay $80/month unlimited everything (sans land lines) including 4g when you travel to 4g areas... $80/month doesn't even get you unlimited 3g on any other carrier...
    So how is this any different than the requirement for an 'Everything' plan being required for smartphones? And btw if you read in the small print the everything plan doesn't include unlimited usage and does specify Sprint's CDMA network.

So adding a $10 charge for 'unlimited' data on 4G just doesn't seem unreasonable. Should they have made the decision to be able to turn off 4G access on the Evo if people didn't want it? Perhaps, but at the same time many of the key features of the Evo rely on 4G and therefore the alternative is customers complaining how bad the phone functions because they aren't on 4G.
    If you want to B*@#H about something I'd complain about the $29 for hotspot. That's the one that bugs me.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I work in 4G coverage areas (Vegas and OC) but I'm on the side feeling this should NOT be a mandatory charge. I don't care if 4G is 10x faster than 3G because I dont need that speed ON A PHONE! I don't stream video or do heavy downloads so why pay $120 more a year for something I won't even use? The EVO (and the next gen of 4G devices) are powerful, but what exactly are you going to do that will max out the bandwidth needs that CANT be done if you let the phone run in 3G?

Now 4G WITH HOTSPOT is another story. It sucks that they're charging $30 to tether but it's somewhat understandable because you're now using devices that "CAN" take full advantage of the bandwidth.

And as for the "extra charge defenders". It's really sad that this is where the tech community is right now. Everyone has become so corporate minded that they forget that WE ARE THE CUSTOMER. You aren't playing devils advocate when you say "Welll. X-company should be doing this because....", you're now an unpaid marketing intern. We should be standing up for the CONSUMER, and right now Sprint is making a precedent that will screw over this next generation of devices and service plans.

Increased function isn't an add-on, it's evolution.
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/15/2010 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I work in 4G coverage areas (Vegas and OC) but I'm on the side feeling this should NOT be a mandatory charge. I don't care if 4G is 10x faster than 3G because ITS ON A PHONE! I don't stream video or do heavy downloads so why pay $120 more a year for something I won't even realize is there? The EVO (and the next gen of 4G devices) are powerful, but even if you max out the bandwidth needs you really aren't capable of doing anything that REQUIRES 4G.

Now 4G WITH HOTSPOT is another story. I do tether my iPhone and Laptop with my Pre and I thought I was saving money by getting the non-3G iPad. It sucks that they're charging $30 to tether but it's somewhat understandable because you're now using devices that "CAN" take full advantage of the bandwidth.

And as for the "extra charge defenders". It's really sad that this is where the tech community is right now. Everyone has become so corporate minded that they can justify anything a company does to them. You aren't playing devils advocate when you say "Welll. X-company should be doing this because....", you're now an unpaid marketing intern. We should be standing up for the CONSUMER, and right now Sprint is making a precedent that will screw over this next generation of devices and service plans. Increased function isn't an add-on, it's evolution.
    There is no competition now. Next year when Verizon launches theirs for 20 bucks more, then it will seem like a deal.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

There is normally a premium to pay for the latest and greatest of any product. If sprint followed Tmobiles initial G1 policy and only allowed the device to be sold in 4G markets, wouldn't there be a larger uproar?

People complaining and saying "its not fair" should ask themselves if they really want sprint gimping devices and being "control freaks" like verizon? Finding a way to disable features on a new smartphone really doesn't seem like sprints style...
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    There's no such thing as a free lunch. <<edited by mod>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/15/2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Off topic
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    There is normally a premium to pay for the latest and greatest of any product. If sprint followed Tmobiles initial G1 policy and only allowed the device to be sold in 4G markets, wouldn't there be a larger uproar?

People complaining and saying "its not fair" should ask themselves if they really want sprint gimping devices and being "control freaks" like verizon? Finding a way to disable features on a new smartphone really doesn't seem like sprints style...
    I remember when mobile web jumped to 15 bucks because it had a few extra features. I wasn't happy, but I still paid it. Over the years, I am better off on my bill because I am with Sprint. I am okay if they recoup some R & D with a 10 dollar charge. Eventually it will all be 4g and the extra charge will not be there.

If you want to be a part of the initial launch of anything, you will pay a premium.

Consider the first Plasma TV's... now that's a premium.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

or the 1st gen iphone
    Its $10 dollars people.......
    Still cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.
    $10 for Sprint to help it increase its 4g network is not much to ask since their plans are cheap already.

Of course people were mad at Sprint for a $0.40 cent increase not to long ago.\\
    once other carriers have LTE (18 months?) sprint will stop charging a premium. They did the same thing with 3g.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast