Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to this forum and the world of WebOS and I would just like an honest opinion from some of you. I currently have a 16 GB iPhone 3GS (release date purchase) and have gotten pretty tired of the limitations, non-removable battery, etc. and the release of the Pre Plus on AT&T couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm just not sure if I want to make such a big purchase without researching and such.

So, I'm considering unlocking my iPhone and selling it to buy a Palm Pre Plus. What advantages are there over the iPhone and honestly, would there be many aspects about Apple's device that I would miss? I'm not entirely sure because I use my device for various emulators, tethering, and Turn-by-turn Navigation, along with other things.

And another question for those of you familiar with AT&T. I won't be upgrade eligible for awhile being that I purchased the 3GS last June. Would I be able to purchase the Pre for double the price (like with the iPhone) and just extend my contract for two more years, or would I have to pay full retail unsubsidized price?

Thank you so much in advance!
    The retail price is $399 if your not upgrade eligible. As for an iPhone to pre comparison, icant give that to you because I too have an iPhone (3g) and will be upgrading soon to the pre, but I haven't used a pre long enough to give you a fair comparison. But from what I have read, what you'll miss is a ton of apps, media player, and a ton of accessories. Other than that everything is either on the same level or better on the pre. Again that's just from research and not expierence.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    i can help u out in some question you have. 1st let me say im surrounded by iphones . I have the palm pre for sprint. One of the best Feature of this phone is the multitasking hands down. Imagine able to run more then 10 app at a time, not matter what app it is. switching back and fourth just by sliding your fingers,,,,no holding no button or a home key, leaving exactly where u left when u return, not starting over. Im sure you heard of Synergy(i think i spelled that wrong) but any way,,lol I live on my phone i have aim, yahoo, google and facebook. The palm pre takes all the info from all those client and and add them into your contact list, now it may not be 100% but you get the idea btw you can also manual match them up to the right contacts.....Now music i use the old itune to to sync, for my self long story , i use to use media player, the reason y i switched to itune cuz i didnt know how to sync media player...but now i do,,,,with itune 1234 sync!!lol,,,,,uhmmm what else oh yeah,,,did you know palm pre is the best in 3d games!!!! oh yeah turn by turn NAV i know sprint is the best for that, Verizon AKA big red has issues, Dont know about AT&T,,,,and all that at&t contract stuff you are on your own....hope i was able to help you
    You would miss the snappy menu system, and internet browser. WebOS is still in 1.X, but with the coming of 1.5 or 2.0 that will dissipate. Palm releases a major update once every two months, and with that comes more stability, faster UI, and more features. And with the HP acquisition still going through, I'd bet that'd mean even faster updates.

The iPhone also syncs with iTunes, and has 1,000's of apps. WebOS is catching up though.

The hardware of the phone has had a lot of work done (from Sprint's Pre to Verizon's, and I'm sure from Verizon's to AT&T's). Just wanted to point that out.

The following is better on WebOS

1. Themes - Being able to customize your phone so it actually fits you and your personality. Themes change the overall look of the UI. Anything from a designer Coach theme, to a Michael Jordon Theme.

2. Patches - Patches make this phone by far the best on the market. There are little tweaks available via the homebrew comminuty that make the phone run exactly how you want. Examples: How many icons on are your menu screen, automatic speaker phone when moving your phone away from your face, on-screen keyboard, changing the network icon from EV to 3G, screen orientation lock....

3. Multitasking - It has never been easier on any other device ever. And on a Pre Plus, you can have over 50 apps open at once.

4. Physical keyboard - It does take some getting used too, but I will NEVER own a phone without a physical keyboard. I'm to the point now where I can type on my Pre without looking. Try that on an iPhone.

5. Notification System - The notification system is second to none. You can skip songs from this notification bar on your music player, or on Pandora, as well as have the weather always available via an app, to just simply checking a text message. And every time you actually open something from the notification bar, fear not, because it opens in a new card, leaving the card you were just working on alone.

Anyone else have anything to add?
    if u used to iphone and total touch screenage, i'd wait for the HTC EVO

but if theres a Palm 2 before then, I'd get that

Im a faithful pre user now but in desparate need of a bigger screen
    The EVO would be my first pda phone without a physical keyboard
    Gestures and universal search.
    Gestures: seamlessy change to the next app by sliding your finger across the bottom, takes a millisecond to change. Easy copy and paste using gestures to.

Universal search: want to ring or text someone, just slide out the keyboard in card view and start typing their name and they will come up. Also quickly get to apps using this. Want to google something, don't bother open up the web browser, just start typing away and click google search.

It might be worth wacthing the at&t videos and videos on palm.com
    They really show what the phone can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDbandit View Post

I am not sure how the EVO always comes up as the eveything beater. IT STILL HAS ANDROID ON IT. IphoneOS and WebOS are heads and tails better. Unless you need a laptop screen and love videochatting in public places I would stick with the pre/iphone.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    A couple of things to add:

* Touchstone - I can't think of a more elegant charging mechanism.

* Removable Battery - I always have a spare battery (I purchased it with the spare battery charger) fully charged and ready to go. I never face a scenario where I am left with an inactive phone (except for the minutes it takes to restart the phone with the new battery).
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I suggest you list down your favorite iPhone apps. Then try to check if there are Pre equivalents. Also give yourself time to try out a demo unit or if you have a friend who can demo it for you. If you think you will enjoy the Pre without your other iPhone apps then the it is for you. The Pre WebOS is an experience like no other and it's getting better and better. Truth is we havent yet seen its full potential. As for me I'm enjoying my Palm Pre.
    good choice to get the Pre+ M<ore fun, less proprietary. REmember, the Pre+ is soooo much fun (especially after you start using the UberKernel to run at 800mhz) you will never put it down - and that will hammer your battery...

I recommend the 2600mAh extended battery, especially for the first 30 days when it is so addictive... and you will probably end up using it plugged in to the charger quite a bit.

Kind of like buying that new sports car and then wondering why you are buying so much more gasoline when the credit card bill arrives. That happens when you just can't stop driving... so buckle up!
    I think the best reason to get a Palm phone over an Apple phone is Palm itself. Sure, it has made some bad business mistakes but its attitude towards its users and developers is amazing. They totally embrace the homebrew app / patching / kernel hacking. Granted, they will not provide support for a phone that has been altered outside their own specifications (and I wouldn't expect them to...). But it is refreshing to see a company not treat its users and developers like they are criminals just for wanting to maximize the capabilities of the device.
    I know some people might be glaring at from their monitors when I say this but maybe you should wait and see what the 4th gen iphone brings to the table. It should be coming out in a month or so. I do think WebOS is the best mobile OS on the market but the Pre Plus is basically the same Pre that came out almost a year ago except with more RAM and a larger hard drive.

I guess your limitations frustration would still be an issue so the Pre would solve some of that. It is an amazing phone to use and I am hoping to upgrade to the next WebOS device on Sprint in the late summer/fall if the rumors hold true. Maybe take advantage of the 30 day trial period and see if the phone is right for you assuming they have those deals with AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDbandit View Post

Ummm, I don't think the evo is coming to AT&T so o don't see why that's a choice.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I know some people might be glaring at from their monitors when I say this but maybe you should wait and see what the 4th gen iphone brings to the table. It should be coming out in a month or so. I do think WebOS is the best mobile OS on the market but the Pre Plus is basically the same Pre that came out almost a year ago except with more RAM and a larger hard drive.

I guess your limitations frustration would still be an issue so the Pre would solve some of that. It is an amazing phone to use and I am hoping to upgrade to the next WebOS device on Sprint in the late summer/fall if the rumors hold true. Maybe take advantage of the 30 day trial period and see if the phone is right for you assuming they have those deals with AT&T.
    This.

See what's coming down the pike from everyone including Apple. Then, make up your mind. You're essentially going from one kinda old device to another.
    Well I've barely used an Iphone and when I did it felt so odd compared to the Pre. When I couldn't open more than one app at a time I just felt like giving up on the Iphone and going back to my Pre. The few things I think the Iphone is better at is obviously the bigger 3.5in screen and bigger app store. The Iphone is a little snappier at doing one thing at a time when compared to the Pre, but since the iphone cannot open app after app after app in a row then the Pre is just the king here. It is also very easy to get into the homebrew community with the Pre/Pre+ it took me a mere ten minutes and I was already patching my Pre to be able to download youtube vids, use the flash as a camcorder light, onscreen keyboard, iphone icons theme :-D which makes the Pre very similar to the iphone, I personally like it since it is mainly black. There is pretty much limitless things you can do with the Pre/+ I think it would be a great buy for you, and since ATT is just about to get the Pre + I doubt anyone will be seeing new hardware from Palm at least until end of 2010 and ATT will most likely get new hardware from Palm by 2011.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Don't waste an upgrade on a 1.0 device. Go for the new iPhone 4G, honestly, when the Pre gets their act together then approach the "thought".
    Will be switching away from a nearly 2 year old iPhone 3G. I played around with the Verizon Pre+ to get acquainted with WebOS while waiting for ATT to release it. In the 15 mins I tested it out, I'm sold on the GUI.

As for apps, that is my main concern. I do not want 100k apps....I need only a few. So I been searching the Web to make sure the Pre+ has what I need to transition over from the iPhone. The functionality I need (be it Native or via Apps):

1) Exchange support - Native - check.
    2) Yahoo Messenger - Unable to confirm if Native on AT&T? If native, does it use the data plan (it better) versus via SMS (HOPE not)? If not, hope the mobile site works.
    3) Facebook - App - check.
    4) Twitter - App - check
    4) RSS reader - App - check.
    5) Yelp - App - check.
    6) Sunday Ticket - App - check.
    7) Some kind of Ping / Whatsapp messenger to communicate with wife's iPhone - Unable to verify yet - We do not want to pay for Texting plan.
    8) Some kind of Texting app - Unable to verify yet - again do not want to pay for Texting plan.

I believe that's it...anything more is cake. If anybody can correct or verify any of my above items, I would definitely appreciate it!

The only real show stopper preventing me from making the leap to the Pre+ is Exchange (need for work)....since that's not a problem, then I should be a proud owner sometime next week.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iPilot View Post
    Will be switching away from a nearly 2 year old iPhone 3G. I played around with the Verizon Pre+ to get acquainted with WebOS while waiting for ATT to release it. In the 15 mins I tested it out, I'm sold on the GUI.

As for apps, that is my main concern. I do not want 100k apps....I need only a few. So I been searching the Web to make sure the Pre+ has what I need to transition over from the iPhone. The functionality I need (be it Native or via Apps):

1) Exchange support - Native - check.
    2) Yahoo Messenger - Unable to confirm if Native on AT&T? If native, does it use the data plan (it better) versus via SMS (HOPE not)? If not, hope the mobile site works.
    3) Facebook - App - check.
    4) Twitter - App - check
    4) RSS reader - App - check.
    5) Yelp - App - check.
    6) Sunday Ticket - App - check.
    7) Some kind of Ping / Whatsapp messenger to communicate with wife's iPhone - Unable to verify yet - We do not want to pay for Texting plan.
    8) Some kind of Texting app - Unable to verify yet - again do not want to pay for Texting plan.

I believe that's it...anything more is cake. If anybody can correct or verify any of my above items, I would definitely appreciate it!

The only real show stopper preventing me from making the leap to the Pre+ is Exchange (need for work)....since that's not a problem, then I should be a proud owner sometime next week.
    This is the problem I'm seeing with people. They're not seeing the bigger picture, no doubt the gui surpasses anything out there but the software itself needs work . You say you dont need 100k apps now but you will definitely be wishing you had not said that when you encounter subpar apps and lack thereof. The same apps that you didn't pay a dime for on your iPhone will now be $7 in the app catalog.
    What bigger part do I not understand? The list I compiled is what I need the Pre+ (or heck any phone I switch to) to do. I like the iPhone and everything about it, but I want a change. I like WebOS and want to give it a shot. However, if the Pre+ can't do the minimum I need, then I can't give it a shot w/o compromising my day to day needs.

So basically, you're saying I (or any iPhone or Android user) should just stick to that platform and forget anything else. AT&T has a return period...if I regret the Pre+, I can return it and wait for the Jesus iPhone HD. As for not paying a dime for apps....I have no problem paying for apps if needed.

Honest question...what apps are free on the iPhone that cost $$ on the WebOS?
    Another thing I'd suggest, look at the previous posts of those whose advice you are taking to heart. There are some serious fans and anti-fans on here that are giving advice that might not be as unbiased as they appear.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast